5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Engine Knocking

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 02:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Engine Knocking

During the last 2 weeks or so I've been hearing some slight knocking from the engine so I changed gasoline brands and moved up to super unleaded. I went to the dealership and was told to keep using super and try a different brand...that the knocking was pretty common, annoying but common!!!!

Am I being had by these people? I can't imagine that being a common thing? Any suggestions?
Old 07-22-2003, 02:20 PM

Re: Engine Knocking

Originally posted by fly_2_high
During the last 2 weeks or so I've been hearing some slight knocking from the engine so I changed gasoline brands and moved up to super unleaded. I went to the dealership and was told to keep using super and try a different brand...that the knocking was pretty common, annoying but common!!!!

Am I being had by these people? I can't imagine that being a common thing? Any suggestions?
They're pulling your leg... NO new car should have engine problems. I don't have a 5gen or a max anymore but I think there is something wrong w/ your engine.
BTW, you should ALWAYS be using premium gas anyways. Not that you should have nocking even w/ the lowest octane (unless you are flooring it) but I would definately have them look at it... if they give you more shiet... ask them to start up another car on the lot that does the same thing and prove your point.
Old 07-22-2003, 03:23 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Re: Engine Knocking

Originally posted by fly_2_high

First, you're from TX, ie hot climate, and you should ALWAYS use the highest octane fuel you can find during the summers at least. I'd suggest Chevron, since it makes a difference here(AZ desert) over other brands with the same rating.

Second, you may have the infamous ignition coil problem 2000's had, so have your dealer run a check on your VIN for the TSB. It's in the sticky above I believe.