5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

arg arg!! Maxspeed noises

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 09:41 PM

arg arg!! Maxspeed noises

Ok I am having really bad problems with my suspension. I hear like a squeeling sound when i go over even the most subtlest bumps. Even small bumps or holes make the sounding squeel. Its not grinding as far as i know just like i have a freaking birdnoise everytime i go over bumps.
Anyway, anyone got any reccomendations for the layperson like me to do. I wont be able to take it to a mechanic for a while cause of money. I figure they are gonna want to undo everything nad redo it.

ANyone got any quick fixes or what my problem is. The only thing i can think is the struts are somehow making the noises. I mean they are stock and people tell me they wear down faster with aftermarket springs.
Roger
Old 06-13-2003, 11:45 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Did you use the spring insulators on all 4 springs ?
Old 06-14-2003, 02:41 AM

Originally posted by kloogy
Did you use the spring insulators on all 4 springs ?
if not, ur springs will be scratching like hell and make tuns of noises....
Old 06-14-2003, 05:18 AM
NT2SHBBY

my maxspeeds make no noise.... I have no answers for you since my setup was installed by my local mechanic...

Old 06-14-2003, 08:06 AM

Re: arg arg!! Maxspeed noises

Originally posted by radpp16
Ok I am having really bad problems with my suspension. I hear like a squeeling sound when i go over even the most subtlest bumps. Even small bumps or holes make the sounding squeel. Its not grinding as far as i know just like i have a freaking birdnoise everytime i go over bumps.
Anyway, anyone got any reccomendations for the layperson like me to do. I wont be able to take it to a mechanic for a while cause of money. I figure they are gonna want to undo everything nad redo it.

ANyone got any quick fixes or what my problem is. The only thing i can think is the struts are somehow making the noises. I mean they are stock and people tell me they wear down faster with aftermarket springs.
Roger
Hey radpp16, who ever installed your maxspeed forgot to put back the rubber sleeve that goes on the bottom coil, I'm almost 100% shure this is your problem since without the rubber sleeve it is metal against metal, can you say squeak, squeak... I got maxspeed for like a year and not squeak.

Cheers

AA
Old 06-14-2003, 08:13 AM

Re: arg arg!! Maxspeed noises

Roger
The only possibilities I could come up with is:
- Springs are not seated properly
- Did not install spring insulators
- Worn shocks
- A worn part within' the suspension.
Old 06-14-2003, 12:25 PM

i always hear sqeuaks from the back part of the car when i drive really slow with no music so i can hear the car. its not the shocks becaues the shocks are new, and not the springs because they are new and the noise was there even before the suspension was installed. i am pretty sure it has to do with the bushing or something like that.

could it already be after 67k that i need new ones?
Old 06-14-2003, 09:07 PM

Originally posted by 2001SE
i always hear sqeuaks from the back part of the car when i drive really slow with no music so i can hear the car. its not the shocks becaues the shocks are new, and not the springs because they are new and the noise was there even before the suspension was installed. i am pretty sure it has to do with the bushing or something like that.

could it already be after 67k that i need new ones?
With 67K on the clock. I would think maybe it is a bushing or some other suspension part that is worn.
Old 06-14-2003, 11:59 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Its the sping insulators..check to see if you have them. Remember, metal on metal ==== NOISE ! No further questions required ! If they are on, then you have screwed up shocks..
Old 06-15-2003, 07:29 AM

ok spring insulator check

Originally posted by kloogy
Its the sping insulators..check to see if you have them. Remember, metal on metal ==== NOISE ! No further questions required ! If they are on, then you have screwed up shocks..
Hmmm spring insulators.... what and where the hell do i find those on the car. Is that a mechanic job?
ROger
Old 06-15-2003, 08:28 AM

Re: ok spring insulator check

Hmmm spring insulators.... what and where the hell do i find those on the car. Is that a mechanic job?
ROger
spring insulators are located on the spring itself. Here's a pic
The gray sleeve around the spring is the insulator.
Old 06-15-2003, 09:44 AM

We installed some coilovers on my friend's Accord about a week ago. When he was testing them he noticed that every time he came to a stop or even got in and out the car, it would squeak horribly. We had everything installed properly so there was no metal on metal. My friend who works at a shop suggested spraying all 4 coilovers with lots of WD-40. We did that and the noises have not returned. Good luck
Old 06-15-2003, 10:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Your springs should look like this:

Old 06-16-2003, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by Black2K1Maxi
We installed some coilovers on my friend's Accord about a week ago. When he was testing them he noticed that every time he came to a stop or even got in and out the car, it would squeak horribly. We had everything installed properly so there was no metal on metal. My friend who works at a shop suggested spraying all 4 coilovers with lots of WD-40. We did that and the noises have not returned. Good luck
Ok so i have two options.
1)Spray the spring with wd-40
Do i have to disabble anything, or just start shooting wd-40 under the fender like a MADMAN!!!!!
2) check to make the insulators are in good condition. See, the springs were perfect until like 1-2 months so i am assuming the insulators wore away(if that happens). lol i love making stuff up.
ROger
Old 06-16-2003, 08:17 PM

Do i have to disabble anything, or just start shooting wd-40 under the fender like a MADMAN!!!!!
2) check to make the insulators are in good condition. See, the springs were perfect until like 1-2 months so i am assuming the insulators wore away(if that happens). lol i love making stuff up.
ROger
#2!

I doubt the isolators wore away. Unfortunately if it is the isolators you will have to disassemble everything. Get the shop who did it if any to get it done right for free.
Old 06-17-2003, 06:22 PM

i also have maxspeed springs with KYB GR2 and i have the rubber tube on just the back and not on the front but i'm hearing the sound from the rear.... and it's not the squeeking sound but small clunking sound when ever i got over a bump or drive on bummpy road. Any ideas?
Old 06-17-2003, 07:25 PM

ROger
If you go with option #1, you don't need to disassemble anything, but you should jack up the side with the noisy spring so you have a better look at what you're spraying. Just give the WD-40 a shot - it won't hurt anything, it'll take no time to do, and it might just solve your problem. If it doesn't work, then try option #2. Good luck
Old 06-17-2003, 08:32 PM

Hey I have 2k2 with maxspeed/GR2 and I clunking coming from the front driver side when I go over bumps , the rest are good and I got the rubber thing that was on the spring on the new springs
Old 06-23-2003, 11:05 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by CTmax02
Hey I have 2k2 with maxspeed/GR2 and I clunking coming from the front driver side when I go over bumps , the rest are good and I got the rubber thing that was on the spring on the new springs
I too have had noise coming from one of the rear shock towers..it definitely is not the lack of the insulator. I believe I may have the main top hat screw not fully torqued down allowing slight separation over bumps....I hope to confirm this in a few weeks...