5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Teins vs. H&R - objective opinions!!! (calling all Tein owners!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 09:26 AM

Teins vs. H&R - objective opinions!!! (calling all Tein owners!)

Ok, the mod bug is biting. I have H&R's right now and I am very close to getting the stock struts and shocks replaced finally (probably do KYB GR2). I have a shop that did my springs that I will be going back to, but if I am gonna pay for an install I am tempted to go lower when I get the new struts and shocks installed and also buy some new Teins to put on...

I would then sell my used H&R's... Here is the million dollar question:

How is the ride on Teins REALLY in comparison to H&R??? I have no problems with the stiffness of the H&R ride, but if Teins are bone-jarringly stiffer due to the lower ride height, I wanna know that honestly before I do the new lowering and pi$$ my lovely wife off!

Also, some have said the bumpstops need to be trimmed for Teins, who has opinions or thoughts on this...
Old 06-09-2003, 11:13 AM
Blu
the tits

I have your exact setup now the H&R's and stockers. I also have teins and gr2's in the closet awaiting to be installed after my car is fixed. I know for a fact the bumpstops will need to be trimmed or you can order the KYB shortened bump stop/boots.
Old 06-09-2003, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by blubyu2k2
I have your exact setup now the H&R's and stockers. I also have teins and gr2's in the closet awaiting to be installed after my car is fixed. I know for a fact the bumpstops will need to be trimmed or you can order the KYB shortened bump stop/boots.
I hope you are planning to do a comparo write-up between H&R/stock and Tein/KYB once you have your new suspension installed? What is your estimated timeline?
Old 06-09-2003, 11:27 AM
Blu
the tits

Originally posted by Matthew

I hope you are planning to do a comparo write-up between H&R/stock and Tein/KYB once you have your new suspension installed? What is your estimated timeline?
Well I couldn't tell you. Im hoping to get the car in the shop this week and have it fixed before next weekend. Then they will go on the following weekend I get the car back. I will post a comparo once its completed.

Matt
Old 06-09-2003, 11:42 AM

Well I couldn't tell you. Im hoping to get the car in the shop this week and have it fixed before next weekend. Then they will go on the following weekend I get the car back. I will post a comparo once its completed.

Matt
...I am sorry your car is 'down for the count', why is it going in if you don't mind me asking? I hate having my car in the shop, I go thru withdrawal...

Matt (too)
Old 06-09-2003, 11:44 AM
Blu
the tits

...I am sorry your car is 'down for the count', why is it going in if you don't mind me asking? I hate having my car in the shop, I go thru withdrawal...

Matt (too)
I got nailed passing through the movie theater parking lot
Old 06-09-2003, 11:46 AM
Blu
the tits

ohhh and also these are just sitting around
Old 06-09-2003, 12:05 PM

I got nailed passing through the movie theater parking lot

Man that is the worst feeling in the world, I feel for you. Is the other jerk's insurance paying???
Old 06-09-2003, 12:32 PM
Blu
the tits

Man that is the worst feeling in the world, I feel for you. Is the other jerk's insurance paying???
yes but its a pain in the ***
Old 06-09-2003, 01:17 PM

i have teins and toks on mine... i've never had H&Rs so i can't do a direct comparison.. but i can tell you that the teins are not all that stiff... compared to stock they are a bit more stiff over medium to large bumps/dips... but over the small ones, u can hardly feel a difference.... i was told to trim the bumpstops.. and i didn't... but i haven't had a problem yet.. except for one time when i was going about 35 and i hit a speed bump i didn't see.... (ouch)... but other than that.. they've been great... hope this helps...

eddie
Old 06-09-2003, 01:21 PM

Originally posted by skandalouz
i have teins and toks on mine... i've never had H&Rs so i can't do a direct comparison.. but i can tell you that the teins are not all that stiff... compared to stock they are a bit more stiff over medium to large bumps/dips... but over the small ones, u can hardly feel a difference.... i was told to trim the bumpstops.. and i didn't... but i haven't had a problem yet.. except for one time when i was going about 35 and i hit a speed bump i didn't see.... (ouch)... but other than that.. they've been great... hope this helps...

eddie
...It does help. Thanks. Unfortunately for me it 'helps' me mostly want to spend more money! Damn mod bug!
Old 06-09-2003, 03:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Where can I buy "KYB shortened bump stop/boots"? How much does it cost?

~limsandy
Old 06-09-2003, 03:50 PM

Originally posted by limsandy

~limsandy
I think tirerack.com is selling the KYB bump stop/boots for about $35-40 each.
Old 06-09-2003, 04:50 PM
Blu
the tits

Originally posted by limsandy

~limsandy
I got them from tirerack.com. The total was like $51 shipped 2 day fed ex. I will look tomorrow to see the part numbers or you can search b/c njmaxseltd posted the part #'s in another tein thread.

Matt
Old 06-09-2003, 09:48 PM
I35

I had H&R/Toks before. Now I have Tein/GR_2 on my car. Compared to the last set-up I am very pleased with Teins. The car looks much better and the ride is little bit more stiff on large bumps, but the overall ride is much better than stock or even H&R/Toks. I had a friend who had Eibachs on his car with Toks and after he changed to Tein, he also said the ride is much better. I strongly encourage people to get Tein springs I think they are very good quality and as for GR-2.
When I changed my setup to Tein from H&R, I loved the ride handling, looks, everything about it. Also, GR-2 were much better than Toks, but after a while GR-2 started to get sloppy and bouncy. I only have the most 4-5000 miles on them. I am concidering KONI, but any how, although I had Toks and GR-2, and both became bouncy and sloppy compared, I think GR-2 gives better ride compared to Toks eventhough both struts gets sloppy after time.

Does anyone know if Koni gets sloppy or any adjustable struts, do they get sloppy and lose its stiffness. I want struts that holds my car for at least 20,000miles without getting bouncy and start to ride on the springs only.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:24 PM

Got the Teins with Toks and have not trimmed the stop. Its alright, not too harsh of a ride. The 1st week was rock hard but it eases up there after. Gonna switch to GR2's when I get the 03.
Old 06-10-2003, 07:23 AM

Originally posted by skandalouz

eddie
Got any pics of ur drop??