5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Where to get front rotors for 02 max?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2003, 08:30 PM
ABS

Alright, here's my next update. I've been driving around with these brakes on for the last few days. In total I haven't driven all that far, maybe 100 miles are so, but I wanted to provide feedback on my initial impressions of the Porterfield pads. Here is what I've encountered: initial grip with low pedal pressure seems much higher, increasing pedal pressure results in a very linear increase in friction (unlike the OEM pads), pedal feel is improved significantly, I can "feel" the brakes through the pedal now (not vibration, but feedback - kinda hard to describe), very slight "grinding" feeling/sound just before stopping, pedal feels firmer.

So far, I am extremely satisfied with these brakes, I like the improved feel very much and I hope that these pads continue to grip better and better as the pedal pressure increases. With the OEM pads, it always seemed as if there was a maximum friction rate even if pedal pressure increased from the arbitrary high to very high rate.

Per Porterfields instructions I am going to be very light on these brakes for the next few days as I bed them in. Then I should be able to give a more detailed review.
Old 07-01-2003, 02:11 PM
OG and counting...

Now, I am thinking about the slotted rotors at Custommaxima. Damn stockers are warping again!
Old 07-06-2003, 07:37 AM
OG and counting...

Does anyone with the Axxis pads have a lot of dusting?
Old 07-25-2003, 06:46 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Where to get front rotors for 02 max?

Sorry I didn't respond before - I didn't get any notification on you response and just noticed it

Originally posted by Max_5gen
[B]
Make sense, IMHO. BTW, those 'k' are in kilometers, not miles, right? For "miles" it wouldn't be that bad but still not good either. For "km" it is annoying. I got my problem ~12k km the first time and after another ~8k km second. At that point I replaced my rotors & pads and it was ~50k km ago.
my 'k's are in miles.
Thanks for all the usefull info on installation.
For now, I decided to resurface rear rotors (I think they are the once that warped) and put Raybestos QS on them. I'm taking the car to shop tomorrow (not a dealer The whole thing will cost me $120 ($ 50 set of pads, $15x2 rotors resurface, $40 breaks install). Also I can see how they install the breaks, so next time I'll do it myself.
If that will not take care of the problem, I'll probably get new brembos for the front (stock already was resurfaced twice ) with R4S and will install them myself.
That's the plan...
Thanks again for the info.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:59 PM

Well, I just noticed this thread was bumped so I figured I'd respond. I got powerslot rotors from ptuning.com and some hawk street pads for my parents 2k2. So far they have been great, a lot more quiet than my drilled/slotted rotors on my 97. I havent beat on them yet just cause its my parents car but I'm happy so far. Oh, and I left the rears alone.
Old 07-26-2003, 06:50 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Where to get front rotors for 02 max?

Originally posted by Teser
I'm taking the car to shop tomorrow (not a dealer
I'm back from the shop now. First of all, the mechanics that I use, told me that Raybestos is crap because it sells in PepBoys. They told me that these pads will eat through rotors. I'm confused now.
Anyway, I got rear rotor resurfaced and insisted on putting new QS pads on them. Funny thing is that I still had about 4mm left on original stock pads with 55k miles on the car. But the rotors were uneven, so the resurfacing was needed to be done.
After all this - it didn't take care of break judder, so I'm still thinking on getting new rotors and R4S.