5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Where to get front rotors for 02 max?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 01:10 AM
L33t BMW Drivah

No. 2k2-3 is different
Old 06-15-2003, 01:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

www.southwestautoworks.com has Stillen rotors for 2k2-2k3 maximas.
Old 06-15-2003, 01:51 AM
L33t BMW Drivah

Thanks Steve. Im ordering as we speak !
Old 06-15-2003, 11:48 PM
ABS

Oh that's great! Any recommendations on the best pads to use for a daily driver which is driven hard in the North East (cold performance is a concern)? Thanks!
Old 06-16-2003, 12:11 AM
I miss the .org!

Why are 02-03 ones more expensive?
Old 06-16-2003, 12:57 AM

^ They are larger..
Old 06-16-2003, 07:06 AM

Originally posted by Triple8Sol
Why are 02-03 ones more expensive?
Because they're bigger than the 00-01.
Old 06-16-2003, 07:08 AM

Originally posted by Y2KSESteve
www.southwestautoworks.com has Stillen rotors for 2k2-2k3 maximas.
I thought crossdrilled rotors were not a good thing because they could crack?
Old 06-16-2003, 09:29 PM
ABS

I just hit gold. Check out this link:

http://www.2kracing.com/maxima-brakes.shtml

EDIT: I just spoke to Brembo and they only make rear rotors for 2K2 and later. This site is misrepresenting their stock of Brembo rotors.
Old 06-16-2003, 10:39 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Where to get front rotors for 02 max?

Originally posted by Max_5gen

The pulling to the left/right while braking can be simply caused by the road incline. The first time this effect scared *** out of me. It happens at one particular place nearby when I'm on my summer tires. Somehow my summer set makes it much more noticable. If the car pulls to the side regardless of the road incline - something wrong with the brakes . Point here is that "warped" rotor doesn't cause that. It is responsible for steering wheel shimmy only and it is impossible to distinguish between two front rotors unless you have a good third one.
If I were you, I'd start from pads despite the dealer's opinion. It was discussed here many times that shimmy is caused by rotor surface buildup, not by "warpage". Pads play very important role in this process.
R4S pads are not for racing, racing ones called R4. Letter 'S' stands for "street use". I'm on the second set and have no judder/shimmy problems whatsoever. My dealer replaced my stock rotors under warranty and I put pads on myself right at that time. I forgot how my dealer's service department looks like since then . The only good outcome from my first set of stock rotors was that I've learned how to do brake service myself . I wish I made the experiment clean at that time and replaced pads only on my factory set of rotors but I was also thinking that rotors were warped. I've changed my mind after I actually measured them - they were close to perfect. I didn't know what to think after that. Then I found here explanation that rotor can have thin uneven layer on its surface with very different friction. That explained everything. So, you have to make sure that rotors+pads work well together on your car before buying them. Stock rotors + R4S/Raybestos Ceramic Quiet Stop seem to coexist fine. I don't have personal experience with Raybestos though.
Thanks for xlnt explanation.
Questions:
Where do you get your R4S?
How much?
How long they last?

Thanks.
Old 06-17-2003, 12:56 AM

Check out this thread http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=223258 We, 2kracing.com, have opened up a new site dedicated to rotors. http://www.performancerotors.com/maxima.shtml check it out it has performance rotors, brembo, ATE, powerstop... for all maxima gens.
Old 06-17-2003, 03:23 AM
I miss the .org!

No x-drilled/slotted huh...
Old 06-17-2003, 02:28 PM

Originally posted by 2KRacing
Check out this thread http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=223258 We, 2kracing.com, have opened up a new site dedicated to rotors. http://www.performancerotors.com/maxima.shtml check it out it has performance rotors, brembo, ATE, powerstop... for all maxima gens.
Well... I think you can put me down in the customer category real soon. Hmmm slotted Brembos....

Now to pick... slotted or crossdrilled...
Old 06-17-2003, 02:47 PM

Originally posted by Triple8Sol
No x-drilled/slotted huh...
2k racing has both. Apparently unless you're racing you want drilled. Slotted rotors heat up the pad quickly which is needed if you're running pads that don't work well cold.

So, what type of pads work best with crossdrilled brembos. I'm a fairly aggressive driver.
Old 06-17-2003, 04:39 PM

Brembo Rotors we carry in stock for the Maxima production dates are as follows (81-84), (85-8/88),(9/88-94),(95-3/99),(00-01). For the 2002-2003 models, Brembo only has the currently for the rear.
We have the Brembo Rotors in the Cross-Drilled, Slotted, or the combination of slotted and drilled all in stock. You can order them at www.performancerotors.com
Old 06-17-2003, 06:29 PM

Brembo Rotors we carry in stock for the Maxima production dates are as follows (81-84), (85-8/88),(9/88-94),(95-3/99),(00-01). For the 2002-2003 models, Brembo only has the currently for the rear.
We have the Brembo Rotors in the Cross-Drilled, Slotted, or the combination of slotted and drilled all in stock. You can order them at www.performancerotors.com
Is this me, or your site does not show any rotors for 2k+??
Old 06-17-2003, 09:50 PM

Ya, performancerotors.com does not show rotors for 2k+, we are still updating the site, its a new branch of 2kracing.com, but you can find those rotors on this page http://www.2kracing.com/maxima-brakes.shtml Sorry for the mix up
Old 06-18-2003, 01:06 AM
I miss the .org!

Cool, you answered my question. I will be getting some of those xdrilled/slotted rear rotors as soon as I have the $. Need to match my Big Brakes up front!
Old 06-18-2003, 08:12 AM

Ya, performancerotors.com does not show rotors for 2k+, we are still updating the site, its a new branch of 2kracing.com, but you can find those rotors on this page http://www.2kracing.com/maxima-brakes.shtml Sorry for the mix up
So, what's with the "Brembo Drilled Front Rotors Fits on all Maxima (2002) $229.00 pair" you have listed on the site? Brembo says they don't exist.

Also, unless I missed it the pricing is not consistent between the two sites. Performance Rotors is cheaper.
Old 06-18-2003, 10:30 AM

"Brembo Drilled Front Rotors Fits on all Maxima (2002) $229.00 pair" We noticed that and already put a request to our webmaster, it should be removed soon. Yes performancerotors.com is cheaper, since the site is specialized with only rotors, we can keep the prices very competitive by only keeping track of one type of part. That is why we are pointing you guys out to performancerotors.com site, in the near future the rotors will be removed completely off 2kracing.com and performancerotors.com will have all the different Maxima gens. Sorry for all this confusion, maybe we should have waited till both sites are done, but I noticed this post and thought performancerotors.com would be a great site for such a part.
Old 06-18-2003, 11:32 AM

"Brembo Drilled Front Rotors Fits on all Maxima (2002) $229.00 pair" We noticed that and already put a request to our webmaster, it should be removed soon. Yes performancerotors.com is cheaper, since the site is specialized with only rotors, we can keep the prices very competitive by only keeping track of one type of part. That is why we are pointing you guys out to performancerotors.com site, in the near future the rotors will be removed completely off 2kracing.com and performancerotors.com will have all the different Maxima gens. Sorry for all this confusion, maybe we should have waited till both sites are done, but I noticed this post and thought performancerotors.com would be a great site for such a part.
So, who's crossdrilling and slotting the rotors? It sounds like you guys are taking normal bremo rotors and either drilling, slotting, or drilling and slotting them. I thought that was a no no.
Old 06-18-2003, 06:20 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Where to get front rotors for 02 max?

Originally posted by Teser

Thanks for xlnt explanation.
Questions:
Where do you get your R4S?
www.porterfield-brakes.com I actually called them and they have ongoing deal for .org members on R4S pads

How much?
71.20 fronts 55.2 rears + shipping. To get rid of judder fronts are enough. I was driving like this for two years: R4S front and el cheapo Vagner - rear. As with many owners here my stock rears were gone in no time, so I got Vagners instead. I wouldn't recommend them though - squeal like hell. This winter my brake cable froze and the car was on ebrake... God save those Vagner's souls.

How long they last?
fronts: ~30000 km, rears - have no idea yet.
Old 06-18-2003, 08:02 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Where to get front rotors for 02 max?

thanks a lot for the info.
30000 seems pretty good.
BTW, in my case, I still have stock rear with 54k on the car and looks like about 3mm of surface left.
Fronts were twice warped and serviced by dealer (last time about 18k ago) .Now rotors are warped again
So I'm researching my options.
I guess, I will listen to your advice, since you have some experience with it. I'm thinking on getting full set of R4S and putting them on resurfaced stock rotors.
BTW, I never worked on the brakes before. Would you recommend me to install them myself ( I have a great how-to manual ) or is it better let professionals to deal with it?
Also, how are the break performance comparing to stock?
And how do I order them?
Thanks for advise.
Old 06-18-2003, 08:31 PM
ABS

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Where to get front rotors for 02 max?

Originally posted by Max_5gen

www.porterfield-brakes.com I actually called them and they have ongoing deal for .org members on R4S pads

71.20 fronts 55.2 rears + shipping. To get rid of judder fronts are enough. I was driving like this for two years: R4S front and el cheapo Vagner - rear. As with many owners here my stock rears were gone in no time, so I got Vagners instead. I wouldn't recommend them though - squeal like hell. This winter my brake cable froze and the car was on ebrake... God save those Vagner's souls.

fronts: ~30000 km, rears - have no idea yet.
I also contacted Poterfield, but they did not mention any such deal. They referred my to a distributor who quoted me a MUCH higher price - $160 shipped.

Anyone found a distributor who actually has those Raybestos front rotors?
Old 06-19-2003, 08:18 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Where to get front rotors for 02 max?

Originally posted by ABS
Anyone found a distributor who actually has those Raybestos front rotors?
Nope
Old 06-19-2003, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by PrinzII
I have a set of Metal Matrix pads and would like some better rotors.

Turns out that Nopi has the blanks. They can be found here: http://www.nopionline.com/index.cfm?...c&vaffid=0
Thanks for the link. I think I am going to buy a pair of those for the front and machine the slots on them myself. Does anybody know how deep are the slots from the face?
Old 06-19-2003, 05:51 PM

Originally posted by elmaximo
Thanks for the link. I think I am going to buy a pair of those for the front and machine the slots on them myself. Does anybody know how deep are the slots from the face?
Those aren't the right rotors for the 02. Those are the same part number as the 01. Brembo doesn't make rotors for the 02. Also I did a lot of research and you don't want slotted rotors unless you're racing at a track and need to get the temps of your pads up real quickly. Slotted rotors just eat pads.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:21 PM

disclaimer: i am a complete novice with rotors/pads. thanks for any advice or info!

i checked out custommaxima.com and saw some POWERSLOT rotors:
http://www.custommaxima.com/PowerSlot.php

are these good for everyday driving? advantages/disadvan over raybestos? is the price fair?

they also recommend HAWK pads:
http://www.custommaxima.com/Hawk.php

any advice?
Old 06-19-2003, 07:50 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Where to get front rotors for 02 max?

Originally posted by Teser
thanks a lot for the info.
30000 seems pretty good.
BTW, in my case, I still have stock rear with 54k on the car and looks like about 3mm of surface left.
Fronts were twice warped and serviced by dealer (last time about 18k ago) .Now rotors are warped again
So I'm researching my options.
I guess, I will listen to your advice, since you have some experience with it. I'm thinking on getting full set of R4S and putting them on resurfaced stock rotors.
Make sense, IMHO. BTW, those 'k' are in kilometers, not miles, right? For "miles" it wouldn't be that bad but still not good either. For "km" it is annoying. I got my problem ~12k km the first time and after another ~8k km second. At that point I replaced my rotors & pads and it was ~50k km ago.

BTW, I never worked on the brakes before. Would you recommend me to install them myself ( I have a great how-to manual ) or is it better let professionals to deal with it?
It was my first experience and it was easy enough to do. I spend less time doing them myself than total time and inconvinience to set up appointment with dealer and then wait for them to call back, pick up the car etc. It is also about trust and I don't trust them after all I went through. I'm also very confident in my brakes as I usually not just "inspect" calipers but actually take them off the pins and clean/lube those pins - they have hard life down there. I don't think dealer's techs will bother/have time for that. Not at my dealership for sure. Some important things if you deside DIY: use jack stand(!!!); rear caliper's pistons has to be "screwed in" not "pushed in"; after you "screwed in" you have to turn them until piston groove mathes the pad's pin; don't press brake pedal/pull ebrake while your brakes are disassembled. I do use torgue wrench, mostly out of habbit left from the time I used to believe in "uneven wheel nuts torgue" theory. That habbit didn't help at all with stock set.

Also, how are the break performance comparing to stock?
I like them much better than stock for simple reason - when stopping from 130+ km/h they behave the same way from the beginning to the end. Stock start to fade and you have to increase pedal effort. I also discovered whole new range of pedal effort that simply didn't exist on stocks: when you're pressing hard stocks just lock the wheels -ABS kicks in, etc. R4S allow you to maintain high force without locking. I found it much more convinient. You're still able to lock the wheels, of course. They don't require heat up procedure in a winter as other pure racing pads.

And how do I order them?
Thanks for advise.
I called Porterfields and asked them for discount for .org members. They were happy to help . Paid by credit card over the phone at the same time. I live in Canada and first time I ordered I got screwed by UPS brokerage fee - those guys probably made more money on that than Portefields themselves. Next time I asked them explicitely NOT to use UPS and they used FedEx that does the same faster and twice as cheap(18 USD total to be exact). This is canadian specific detail .
Old 06-19-2003, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by MaxAppeal
disclaimer: i am a complete novice with rotors/pads. thanks for any advice or info!

i checked out custommaxima.com and saw some POWERSLOT rotors:
http://www.custommaxima.com/PowerSlot.php

are these good for everyday driving? advantages/disadvan over raybestos? is the price fair?

they also recommend HAWK pads:
http://www.custommaxima.com/Hawk.php

any advice?
Well according to everything I read on the net you don't want slotted rotors for everyday driving. They're best for autocross or track racing where you need to keep your pad temps up (very agressive pads don't work well at low temps). They don't disipate head any better than a normal rotor and they heat up faster because they cut into the pads. By all accounts they eat pads quickly because they cut into pads and are just not what you want on a daily driver.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:51 PM

thanx!
Old 06-20-2003, 08:56 PM
ABS

Ok, I've got some terrific news! I just placed an order through CarQuest for Raybestos front rotors for my 2K2. They were about $55 each. CarQuest did not have a listing for the part in their computer or in their cross reference book. However, the guy I spoke to gave me the actual dealer number for Raybestos, which I called, and obtained the correct CarQuest number from them. When I called back CarQuest, I gave them the new number and they placed an order for me. The rotors are supposed to be in by this Tuesday.

What does this mean? Go to your local Raybestos parts supplier and ask them to call Raybestos to get the correct part number! These rotors are available. If anyone needs the CarQuest number, let me know and I will post it.

Also, I ordered up the Porterfield R4-S pads direct from the manufacturer for the discounted .ORG price someone else posted above. I should also have these parts by Tuesday.

My only remaining question is this: I was told that the pads will not come with the anti-squeal thin metal backing plate, do I need this? If I do I need one, and can anyone tell me where I can find them? Thanks!
Old 06-20-2003, 09:09 PM

Post the Carquest number man...
Old 06-20-2003, 10:24 PM
OG and counting...

I haven't had a chance to call Nopi yet but I will do so. I really want the Brembos. However, I might try the Porterfields for the rears. I already have Axxis Metal Matrix on the front.
Old 06-21-2003, 08:31 AM
ABS

Okay, the Raybestos part number is 980074 and this number corresponds to CarQuest part number 31306.

Thanks!
Old 06-21-2003, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by Stereodude
Those aren't the right rotors for the 02. Those are the same part number as the 01. Brembo doesn't make rotors for the 02. Also I did a lot of research and you don't want slotted rotors unless you're racing at a track and need to get the temps of your pads up real quickly. Slotted rotors just eat pads.
Thanks for that info stereodude
Old 06-23-2003, 02:14 PM
OG and counting...

Let me get on the horn with Nopi and see what the deal is. I am also contacting the place I got the Brembos for my 3rd Gen to see if anything turns up.
Old 06-28-2003, 10:34 AM
OG and counting...

I got on the horn with Nopi and they said no dice. The search continues.
Old 06-28-2003, 03:34 PM
ABS

I thought I'd provide everyone with an update. I picked up my CarQuest labelled Raybestos parts in the middle of this past week and I got the "special" Maxima.Org deal from Porterfield on their R4-S brakes. I did the install on the fronts today. Everything went together without so much as a single hitch. The only thing I didn't like was that the Porterfields don't have any wear indicators - not a big deal really since I change my pads at regular intervals anyhow.

I am pleased to report that my vibration during braking is completely gone AND most importantly that the Raybestos rotors look to be very well constructed and fit perfectly. In a direct comparison to the OEM rotor, they look almost identical. One distinction is that the OEM rotor has a thin "groove" cut into it about 1/2 inch above the hub circling it. The new rotors have no such groove. If these new rotors don't warp, then I don't really care.

Oh, one final note, I was very surprised to discover that the OEM pads on my 2002 were semi-metallic and not ceramic. For some reason I thought that Nissan was using ceramic pads on our cars? I guess I was wrong.
Old 06-29-2003, 06:24 PM
OG and counting...

Looks like I'll be getting a set of those Raybestos Rotors. I am getting vibration when braking. I am definitely going to get the Porterfields for the rear because the Axxis pads are dusting like crazy on the front.

Quick Reply: Where to get front rotors for 02 max?