5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

If Someone Stole Your Aftermarket Rims...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 07:29 AM

If Someone Stole Your Aftermarket Rims...

...what would a typical auto insurance company do? Not that this happened to me, but I was just thinking about a scenerio. Does an insurance company cover aftermarket rims if you don't add addt'l insurance? If not, would you get nothing if someone stole your aftermarket rims? Also, would it just be better to say you had the original stock rims on to get more money considering Nissan charges an arm and a leg for them? Anyone with experience please respond. Thanks.
Old 05-27-2003, 07:33 AM

unless they were insured.. i dont think they would cover them... i think maybe it would be better to say u had ur stock wheels on there... i'm not sure tho... i'm not speaking from experience or anything... just my thoughts
Old 05-27-2003, 07:35 AM
2-Wheelin it...

Re: If Someone Stole Your Aftermarket Rims...

Originally posted by pmas76
...what would a typical auto insurance company do? Not that this happened to me, but I was just thinking about a scenerio. Does an insurance company cover aftermarket rims if you don't add addt'l insurance? If not, would you get nothing if someone stole your aftermarket rims? Also, would it just be better to say you had the original stock rims on to get more money considering Nissan charges an arm and a leg for them? Anyone with experience please respond. Thanks.
you get a check for your stock wheels.....since that is what's on the coverage....which if you think about it, turns out for the better...who woulda thunk it...
Old 05-27-2003, 08:02 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: If Someone Stole Your Aftermarket Rims...

Originally posted by PoLo

you get a check for your stock wheels.....since that is what's on the coverage....which if you think about it, turns out for the better...who woulda thunk it...
This is not true at all.

If you have aftermarket parts (like many of us), the most important thing to do is to SAVE YOUR RECEIPTS! And then talk to your insurance rep about your coverage.

Your insurance SHOULD (and I say *should* because smaller podunk companies may or may not, but the 'big' companies will) cover the loss IF you have a receipt to prove the cost. Your insurance company may want to put the rims on a 'rider' on top of the insurance policy, this may cost more... but your rims would be covered, either way.

-R
Old 05-27-2003, 08:02 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: If Someone Stole Your Aftermarket Rims...

Originally posted by pmas76
I had my stock rims and tire stolen. Yes, someone was dump enough to steal craptensas and scratched/bend stock/crap wheels. Insurance will pay for tires and rims, but they pay a pro-rated price. I had 30k on my car and they paid $2042 for wheela, tires and rotors after $500 deductible. I was so happy. i got new wheels, tire and stillen rotors/pads for $500 (deductible). this package would cost me $2500+ otherwise and I could never justify spending that much money on the car.
Old 05-27-2003, 08:05 AM
NT2SHBBY

provide proof of purchase, they'll cover em

Old 05-27-2003, 08:06 AM
2-Wheelin it...

Re: Re: Re: If Someone Stole Your Aftermarket Rims...

Originally posted by 255HP_03_SE

This is not true at all.

If you have aftermarket parts (like many of us), the most important thing to do is to SAVE YOUR RECEIPTS! And then talk to your insurance rep about your coverage.

Your insurance SHOULD (and I say *should* because smaller podunk companies may or may not, but the 'big' companies will) cover the loss IF you have a receipt to prove the cost. Your insurance company may want to put the rims on a 'rider' on top of the insurance policy, this may cost more... but your rims would be covered, either way.

-R
not many of us pay more than $2k for aftermarket rims....you get about that much from insurance with your stocks...again, seems like i'm coming up ahead....
Old 05-27-2003, 09:57 AM

claim your stock rims. the price per rim is something ridiculous from nissan.

or, cut a deal with the adjuster. say that you'll save him money by ordering some aftermarket rims and tires versus the stock rims/tires.

example, a friend of mine had his 4th gen stolen and they took the rims...a local nissan dealership wanted $650 Canadian per rim (SE 5-spokes) he saved the insurance company money by getting some nicer aftermarket rims and tires.

just a thought....
Old 05-27-2003, 10:10 AM

other than the deductible u have to pay if u claim something like this.... will u have to pay any extra? in other words, will ur monthly insurance premium go up for something out of ur control, like this???