5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2000 Rear Brake Spring-Retainers

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2003, 06:31 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

2000 Rear Brake Spring-Retainers

Anyone replace the Spring-Retainers (4) with the rear pads/hardware? Everything is stock.

They're not included with the hardware kit or the pads. These springs push the pads away from the rotor when you release the brake pedal. Mine are corroded from four winters in Mass. I live in Florida and two local dealers can't I.D. the part. I contacted Nissan but no response so far. My production date is 5/99.

Frustrating thing was both parts managers not interested in searching for an inexpensive part. Instead, I'm told "those springs are not routine replacement or part of the brake job" even though the instructions inside the hardware kit state: New spring-retainers must be installed at the time of pads exchanging. Makes me wonder how thorough their brake techs are.

Anyway, if you have a part number or source please post it or email. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-17-2003, 07:21 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

yeah.. I asked for crush washers for the oil drain plug and the parts dept acted like I just orded a NachoBell Grande. After consult the service dept, I was informed I didnt need them as they dont replace them. :/ nice...

So I called DaveB and now I get everything from him when I can. Case in point, he asked me if I wanted the clips when I ordered my rear pads from him. I dont even recall knowing that I needed them as most people do infact reuse them. But its nice knowing he's looking out for ya. Btw, I get my filters and washers from him too when I can. I know that sounds crazy to have oil filters shipped when the dealer is 4 miles away, but why promote/reward the local dealers ignorance.
Old 05-17-2003, 07:24 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

please double check this, but the bag of clips and springs is

44080-4u025
its called a "hardware kit-re"..

save yourself the time and wasted energy of educating your local dealer and call Dave.. You wont need to know the part number :/
Old 05-18-2003, 11:35 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

TimW,

Thanks for the reply but initially I had to special order that exact "hardware kit-re" from the first dealer and it didn't include the springs. The unopened bag contained shims, anti-rattle clips and brief instructions with advice to replace the springs if replacing pads.

After giving up on the first dealer, I asked the second dealer to show me the exploded parts diagram. All hardware had no corresponding part numbers except for astericks at the shims and clips. Below the diagram was the asterick and part number for the kit I ordered. That's when I got the song and dance.

Ordering maintenance parts in bulk is definitely a good way to save on shipping. I'll contact Dave B. for the springs and maybe Nissan will get back to me this year on my request. Thanks again.