5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Need a "how to" for a ghetto box install

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2003, 04:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by asu174
I kinda figured that you would have to cut it open on a 2k2. I'm going to leave it "as is" with the GAB then. The noise levels are relatively louder now with the box cut open anyhow.
Nice, sand it down so its nice 'n smooth. Do you like your new car more than your old one? I thought I might have seen you yesterday...
Old 04-20-2003, 05:15 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Originally posted by Y2KSESteve

Nice, sand it down so its nice 'n smooth. Do you like your new car more than your old one? I thought I might have seen you yesterday...
I can't find my dremmel sanding bit and everything is closed for Easter.

I love it. The power is awesome. But the handling is horrendous......absolutely God-awful. I'm hesitant to keep my stock struts with Eibachs, but I can't wait another two weeks or so for the KYB GR2 group buy to happen. But I am definitely going to be buying a RSB this time around.

Yesterday.....we drove up from our house to the dog park in Scottsdale. We also ate lunch at Shea and Tatum at noonish.
Old 04-20-2003, 06:21 PM

I love it. The power is awesome. But the handling is horrendous......absolutely God-awful.

We'll see how bad it really is after tuesday is over with. Should be a significant imporvment over what it is right now. The reason you think its god- awful is because you're used to driving with the AGX's and with a lowered car. This is the 1st time you have driven a max with the stock suspension is it not?
Old 04-20-2003, 06:26 PM

So I've now bought all the parts I need for GAB, a 3" to 3" Coupler, Some 3" dryer hose. I can't remember the part number for the K&N Dropin on a 2K2 though, anyone? I'm going to try this tomorrow. So much for going in to the dealer with a busted MAF and expecting warranty :-)
Old 04-20-2003, 06:32 PM

Originally posted by Neal728
So I've now bought all the parts I need for GAB, a 3" to 3" Coupler, Some 3" dryer hose. I can't remember the part number for the K&N Dropin on a 2K2 though, anyone? I'm going to try this tomorrow. So much for going in to the dealer with a busted MAF and expecting warranty :-)
You dont necessaily need the part # for the K&N filter. Just go to you local Pep-boys of Checker or AutoZone and give them the cars make ect... and one of them should have it there.
Old 04-20-2003, 06:35 PM

I can't find my dremmel sanding bit and everything is closed for Easter.

I love it. The power is awesome. But the handling is horrendous......absolutely God-awful. I'm hesitant to keep my stock struts with Eibachs, but I can't wait another two weeks or so for the KYB GR2 group buy to happen. But I am definitely going to be buying a RSB this time around.

Yesterday.....we drove up from our house to the dog park in Scottsdale. We also ate lunch at Shea and Tatum at noonish.
Well then I definitely didnt see you. Sandpaper works best for making smooth. Thats what I used anyway and I'd do it the same way again. You really should get an RSB. They make more of a difference than springs by far. None of you AZ guys have one of these...with our roads, why not?
Old 04-20-2003, 06:39 PM

I don't think I did this right. Do I have the filter in backwards?
A dog is stuck in your air filter...
Old 04-20-2003, 06:39 PM

Well then I definitely didnt see you. You really should get an RSB. They make more of a difference than springs by far. None of you AZ guys have one of these...with our roads, why not?
I have no clue as to why not, damn it took me 4ever just to drop the damn ride now your asking us to get a rsb maybe ill take that into consideration but knowing me you never know what ill pull out next.
Old 04-20-2003, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by HitManSE

This is the 1st time you have driven a max with the stock suspension is it not?
My first Maxima (2000 grey lustre) had stock suspension. But that was back in late 1999 before I really got into modding, so I don't remember what it was like.
Old 04-20-2003, 08:14 PM

Originally posted by Oxidizer2k

A dog is stuck in your air filter...
lol

Oh man I found that wicked funny!!!
Old 04-20-2003, 08:24 PM

Originally posted by Maxman2000

lol

I must have missed that earlier...
Old 04-20-2003, 09:00 PM

Old 04-21-2003, 04:38 PM

Hey guys, just a question... I had told one of my friends about this Ghetto Air box and
he told me that it isnt good for the car because more dirt gets into the engine and that ill have to change my oil sooner and ill have a higher chance of "blowing" my engine. He also said that people think K&N filters are good but it lets more dust and dirt in at the price of more airflow and isnt good for a small amount of HP one gains. Can you guys tell me if any of this is legit? Also, I want to know how this is different from a CAI in terms of power and the effects to the car. What kind of HP gains are there if any.. Thanks...
Old 04-21-2003, 04:40 PM

lol

Haha, he was asking if he did everything right, it looked funny with the camera angle making it look like the dog was stuck in there...
Old 04-21-2003, 04:44 PM

Hey guys, just a question... I had told one of my friends about this Ghetto Air box and
he told me that it isnt good for the car because more dirt gets into the engine and that ill have to change my oil sooner and ill have a higher chance of "blowing" my engine. He also said that people think K&N filters are good but it lets more dust and dirt in at the price of more airflow and isnt good for a small amount of HP one gains. Can you guys tell me if any of this is legit? Also, I want to know how this is different from a CAI in terms of power and the effects to the car. What kind of HP gains are there if any.. Thanks...
You're gonna get a lot of dirt into your engine and into your intake no matter what you use. I've never heard of anyone blowing up their engine from a mod like this. This hasn't been dynoed back to back with any other intake setups yet that I know of. This intake feels better than the Frankencar and sounds pretty similiar as well. Its way better than the Injen performanc-wise but the Injen kills it in looks.
Old 04-21-2003, 06:20 PM

Looks, Shmooks. Hard for someone to see how nice my engine bay is when I'm pulling away. All they see is the debadged trunk and the dual 4" Powertech, which is the way I like it :-)
Old 04-21-2003, 06:50 PM

You're gonna get a lot of dirt into your engine and into your intake no matter what you use. I've never heard of anyone blowing up their engine from a mod like this. This hasn't been dynoed back to back with any other intake setups yet that I know of. This intake feels better than the Frankencar and sounds pretty similiar as well. Its way better than the Injen performanc-wise but the Injen kills it in looks.
y2k!! You have been like a dictionary, thesaurus, and a reference in every thread i have read... You are the man... Thanks for the info.. Just one more question to you or anyone who knows it... Does this mod void warrantee? If i wanted to buy an extended warrantee will this prevent me from getting one? And do you recommend any particular air filter? I have a 2k3 auto.. thanks...
Old 04-21-2003, 06:52 PM

This is no different than installing an intake. More air going through the filter is all this does. If you were messing with the airbox AFTER the filter, you would run into problems.
Old 04-21-2003, 06:52 PM

Originally posted by Neal728
Looks, Shmooks. Hard for someone to see how nice my engine bay is when I'm pulling away. All they see is the debadged trunk and the dual 4" Powertech, which is the way I like it :-)
How do you feel about this mod?? And do you have an cat exhaust in yours?
Old 04-21-2003, 07:39 PM

I did this mod vs a frankencar, and I got 4hp from it.
Old 04-21-2003, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by 2K2_6spd
Thanks Dave.
Old 04-21-2003, 07:54 PM

You dyno'd both? How much did you get from the frankencar? Did you have other mods?
Old 04-21-2003, 08:01 PM

4hp _over_ the Frankencar gains or 4hp total?
Old 04-21-2003, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by Lonz

4hp _over_ the Frankencar gains or 4hp total?
I belive he meant 4hp over the frankencar.
Old 04-21-2003, 08:23 PM

I belive he meant 4hp over the frankencar.
o ****, really? 2k2_6spd, could you clairify this? And if possible, could you post the dynos? Thanks.
Old 04-21-2003, 11:13 PM

Originally posted by 2kGLE

o ****, really? 2k2_6spd, could you clairify this? And if possible, could you post the dynos? Thanks.
Dude at the track I say a stock 2k2 auto run 5 15.0 passes, when we switched his stock box out with just the top part of the GAB he ran 4 14.7 passes at 95mph and one pass of 14.6 sec at 96mph. I say not too shabby of an improvment for just half a GAB. A gain of .3-.4 in the 1/4 ET and 3-4mph faster traps which obviously shows the power has increased. Someone else here with just the GAB and a cattman catback was runnin 102.Xmph in his traps but due to the junk OEM potenzas he was hitting 2.4 60ft times and got no better then 14.4 that night and he was consistantly trappin 101mph and hit 102 twice. So after visual proof of what this mod does then I would have to say im a firm beliver in the GAB mod.
Old 04-21-2003, 11:29 PM

Dude at the track I say a stock 2k2 auto run 5 15.0 passes, when we switched his stock box out with just the top part of the GAB he ran 4 14.7 passes at 95mph and one pass of 14.6 sec at 96mph. I say not too shabby of an improvment for just half a GAB. A gain of .3-.4 in the 1/4 ET and 3-4mph faster traps which obviously shows the power has increased. Someone else here with just the GAB and a cattman catback was runnin 102.Xmph in his traps but due to the junk OEM potenzas he was hitting 2.4 60ft times and got no better then 14.4 that night and he was consistantly trappin 101mph and hit 102 twice. So after visual proof of what this mod does then I would have to say im a firm beliver in the GAB mod.
Old 04-21-2003, 11:38 PM

and you, have you hit the 14's yet?
Old 04-21-2003, 11:40 PM

and you, have you hit the 14's yet?
Too damn hot in phoenix...
Old 04-22-2003, 04:36 PM

Does the GAB mod void warrantee and will it prevent me from getting the extended one? Thanks...
Old 04-22-2003, 04:38 PM

I'm a firm believer in the GAB mod too. I never dissed it or anything. I've read plenty of good responses about it. All i wanted to know is if 2k2_6spd got 4hp or ~14hp out of his GAB. I'm interested to see the dyno plot if possible because i want to compare the curve.
Old 04-22-2003, 04:40 PM

Does the GAB mod void warrantee and will it prevent me from getting the extended one? Thanks...
Not on everything but for parts like the MAF sensor yeah it will so to counter this just get another air filter holder and if for some reason you have to go in for warranty work just switch it around. I always have my car back to stock if it needs to go to the dealer.

2KGLE- I never said you dissed it or anything, I dont know how you got that but regardless I think the only thing left is for dave to answer your question...
Old 04-22-2003, 05:08 PM

2KGLE- I never said you dissed it or anything, I dont know how you got that but regardless I think the only thing left is for dave to answer your question...

O well, Dave will be back sooner or latter. If he got 4hp more than a Frankencar i might pull my frankencar/stillen intake out and give this a try. I already have everything i need sitting in my garage.

Anyone compare the two on the high end? I'm sure the GAB is great on the low end because it is getting nice cool air, while a frankencar gets warm air from the engine bay. I just don't think a GAB would be able to flow the same amount at 100+ as a frankencar, due to the stock airbox and midpipe thing.

Also, has anyone thought of using a ram cold air duct like the GAB to bring cold air into the bay, but using a frankencar intake? Obviously, you wouldnt get the cold air right away from a stop, but it would bring in a whole lot more cold air to the intake area than the stock silencer when you are cruising. I posted a thread about this but got no response. I did this and thought i was just crazy or something for feeling better acceleration at low speeds and less lag after beating on the car for a while. But, today it was raining so i pluged the tube and my car seems to lag again from low-speed rolls. I want to put a thermometer by the intake to see if theres a difference but i dont have one yet. Any thoughts?
Old 04-22-2003, 05:26 PM

O well, Dave will be back sooner or latter. If he got 4hp more than a Frankencar i might pull my frankencar/stillen intake out and give this a try. I already have everything i need sitting in my garage.

Anyone compare the two on the high end? I'm sure the GAB is great on the low end because it is getting nice cool air, while a frankencar gets warm air from the engine bay. I just don't think a GAB would be able to flow the same amount at 100+ as a frankencar, due to the stock airbox and midpipe thing.

Also, has anyone thought of using a ram cold air duct like the GAB to bring cold air into the bay, but using a frankencar intake? Obviously, you wouldnt get the cold air right away from a stop, but it would bring in a whole lot more cold air to the intake area than the stock silencer when you are cruising. I posted a thread about this but got no response. I did this and thought i was just crazy or something for feeling better acceleration at low speeds and less lag after beating on the car for a while. But, today it was raining so i pluged the tube and my car seems to lag again from low-speed rolls. I want to put a thermometer by the intake to see if theres a difference but i dont have one yet. Any thoughts?
I picked up 4hp OVER the Franken car I was running, and it is a hell of alot quieter. I no longer have the dyno plots on my hard drive, but the guys that know me, know I don't B.S. people. And the guy that traps 102.xx is my buddy, Dave, he has run 14.29@102.5 with the GAB, and a Cattman catback. Everything else is STOCK on his car.
Old 04-22-2003, 05:29 PM

I picked up 4hp OVER the Franken car I was running, and it is a hell of alot quieter. I no longer have the dyno plots on my hard drive, but the guys that know me, know I don't B.S. people. And the guy that traps 102.xx is my buddy, Dave, he has run 14.29@102.5 with the GAB, and a Cattman catback. Everything else is STOCK on his car.
GAB ownz all.
Old 04-22-2003, 05:41 PM

Thanks for the info. How do they compare off the track. Which is better at 100+? I dont not quarter mile my car so im wondering which is best for freeway driving. I'm down to try it but i have serious doubts that the stock air box can flow as much as the stillen/frankencar at high speeds.
Old 04-22-2003, 05:46 PM

Thanks for the info. How do they compare off the track. Which is better at 100+? I dont not quarter mile my car so im wondering which is best for freeway driving. I'm down to try it but i have serious doubts that the stock air box can flow as much as the stillen/frankencar at high speeds.
I dont understand why. The modified airbox lets in a ton of air. Its got three big openings that it gets its air from. I doubt many people have tested the Frankencar to the GAB at over 100, but my car does seem to pull to 100 pretty quickly. I'm not sure if it was quicker than the Frankencar or not. If you arent into racing and want an intake that performs well the Frankencar will definitely do that for you.
Old 04-22-2003, 06:28 PM
Doctorate in Detailing

For all you 2K2/3 owners

I just tried this: Because there is no 'elbow' on our intake, I just removed the 'scoop' part. It's only 2 screws just in front of the radiator. This left a rectangular opening into the airbox, just in front of the filter.

I didn't want to cut my filter holder just yet either, so I took the holder out, put my K&N filter back in and held it in place with 2 short lengths of coat hanger wire wedged between the filter frame and the front wall of the airbox.

Sorry I don't have pics.....anyway, it sounds pretty good. Not sure what gains there are, though. Prolly leave it this way for a week or so and see if I like it.

Still trying to figure out how to get outside air into that rectangular opening....any ideas?
Old 04-22-2003, 07:42 PM

Re: For all you 2K2/3 owners

Originally posted by Bluesbrekr
I just tried this: Because there is no 'elbow' on our intake, I just removed the 'scoop' part. It's only 2 screws just in front of the radiator. This left a rectangular opening into the airbox, just in front of the filter.

I didn't want to cut my filter holder just yet either, so I took the holder out, put my K&N filter back in and held it in place with 2 short lengths of coat hanger wire wedged between the filter frame and the front wall of the airbox.

Sorry I don't have pics.....anyway, it sounds pretty good. Not sure what gains there are, though. Prolly leave it this way for a week or so and see if I like it.

Still trying to figure out how to get outside air into that rectangular opening....any ideas?
I wouldve left the stock scoop on. That brings outside air in and not air that was in your engine. The circle part that is probably closed on your intake can be cut off and then you can route a tube from that to the bottom of your bumper to have another cold air feed.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:28 PM

Re: Re: For all you 2K2/3 owners

I wouldve left the stock scoop on. That brings outside air in and not air that was in your engine. The circle part that is probably closed on your intake can be cut off and then you can route a tube from that to the bottom of your bumper to have another cold air feed.
Exactly, cut the bottom off of that elbow, and attach a hose to it, then route the hose down to the splash guard, cut out a little of it, and put in a gutter downspout, screw it to the splash guard, then attatch the hose. Now you have a ram-air scoop for those top end runs.

Quick Reply: Need a "how to" for a ghetto box install