5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Intake air temp sensor location?

Old 04-11-2003, 04:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Intake air temp sensor location?

Does it matter if the sensor is located in the stock cold air funnel when using a Frankencar intake? Car runs very strong, seems fine. On the stock box the IATS is located well before the MAF. On the Franken, it is located just after the MAF, seems I may be getting a better reading having it located in the stock location and is where it is located.
Old 04-11-2003, 05:48 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Re: Intake air temp sensor location?

Originally posted by Maximam
Does it matter if the sensor is located in the stock cold air funnel when using a Frankencar intake? Car runs very strong, seems fine. On the stock box the IATS is located well before the MAF. On the Franken, it is located just after the MAF, seems I may be getting a better reading having it located in the stock location and is where it is located.
i have been pondering the same thing. i was going to plug up my midpipe and run the sensor in its original location to see if i could notice any difference. the only scenario i can think of that would make cause it not to matter as if that sensor is passive. perhaps its just monitors the temp but does not change anything. on the other hand, if it senses hot temps, then it may send a signal and retard timing to avoid knocking. does anyone have any conclusive info as to whether the air temp sensor has any affect or is it just way to monitor a function.
Old 04-11-2003, 06:27 PM

You can stick it on to of the battery and nothing will go wrong. Just make sure you plug up the hole though. The sound is too high pitched and it doesn't growl the same way as a pluged up one.
Old 04-11-2003, 06:41 PM

Re: Intake air temp sensor location?

i left mine in the stock location ..i asked FrankenCar if they could make a midpipe without the ATS hole. runs great, growls nicely
Old 04-11-2003, 06:44 PM

Ya I have to tape the hole on mine. Car runs great so I guess it to be fine.
Old 04-11-2003, 07:05 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally posted by ScreamingVQ
You can stick it on to of the battery and nothing will go wrong. Just make sure you plug up the hole though. The sound is too high pitched and it doesn't growl the same way as a pluged up one.
i would definately plug it, no one needs any unfiltered air coming for long periods of time. does anyone have a fsm that might shed some light on whether the sensor controls any settings?
Old 04-11-2003, 07:16 PM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by sloppymax
does anyone have a fsm that might shed some light on whether the sensor controls any settings?

From the FSM:

The intake air temperature sensor is mounted to the air duct housing. The sensor detects intake air temperature and transmits a signal to the ECM. The temperature sensing unit uses a thermistor which is sensitive to the change in temperature. Electrical resistance of the thermistor decreases in response to the temperature rise.

On Board Diagnosis Logic

Malfunction is detected when
(Malfunction A) an excessively low or high voltage from the sensor is sent to ECM,
(Malfunction B) rationally incorrect voltage from the sensor is sent to ECM, compared with the voltage signal from engine coolant temperature sensor.
Old 04-11-2003, 07:23 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE

From the FSM:

The intake air temperature sensor is mounted to the air duct housing. The sensor detects intake air temperature and transmits a signal to the ECM. The temperature sensing unit uses a thermistor which is sensitive to the change in temperature. Electrical resistance of the thermistor decreases in response to the temperature rise.

On Board Diagnosis Logic

(Malfunction A) an excessively low or high voltage from the sensor is sent to ECM,
(Malfunction B) rationally incorrect voltage from the sensor is sent to ECM, compared with the voltage signal from engine coolant temperature sensor.
thanks alot for the info. ill hopefully have some software son for my laptop so i can run tests on intake temps. i just want to see how much of a difference it will make in either location.
Old 04-11-2003, 07:25 PM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE

From the FSM:

On Board Diagnosis Logic

So based off this would you keep the sensor in it's stock location when used with a Frankencar or would you put it in the Franken location of after the MAF?

I left it in the stock location as that is as close to stock location as possible (before the MAF getting cooler air).
Old 04-12-2003, 10:37 AM
Got Bent?

So based off this would you keep the sensor in it's stock location when used with a Frankencar or would you put it in the Franken location of after the MAF?

I left it in the stock location as that is as close to stock location as possible (before the MAF getting cooler air).
I would say it doesn't really matter. But if you have it in the stock location it is fine... I have mine in the midpipe after the MAF and it's fine