5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Fog light wiring (not stock)

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2003, 05:15 PM

Fog light wiring (not stock)

I have instructions here on how to install foglights which I want to replace the stock ones with. It says, "...the wire should be connected to the low beam trigger wire which should have a positive 12V signal when you turn on the car's headlight switch...if your vehicle uses a negative trigger signal, you need to connect the wire to a switched power wire such as parking light."

What I want to do is have the fogs run either all by themselves or (if that's not possible) then with the parking light. If I can't run them by themselves, do I just splice that wire with the "trigger" parking light wire? Or is that not possible & I can only connect it to the low beam's wire?

Also, if I have to use the parking light wire for power, what color wire is it on the 2k2's? Is it the blue one w/silver? http://boostedmaximas.com/howto/fogrewire.html

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 04-04-2003, 05:29 PM

Re: Fog light wiring (not stock)

Originally posted by nissan5788
I have instructions here on how to install foglights which I want to replace the stock ones with. It says, "...the wire should be connected to the low beam trigger wire which should have a positive 12V signal when you turn on the car's headlight switch...if your vehicle uses a negative trigger signal, you need to connect the wire to a switched power wire such as parking light."

What I want to do is have the fogs run either all by themselves or (if that's not possible) then with the parking light. If I can't run them by themselves, do I just splice that wire with the "trigger" parking light wire? Or is that not possible & I can only connect it to the low beam's wire?

Also, if I have to use the parking light wire for power, what color wire is it on the 2k2's? Is it the blue one w/silver? http://boostedmaximas.com/howto/fogrewire.html

Thanks in advance for your help!
Wish I could help but im not sure. But, are you selling your stock? I want them.
Old 04-04-2003, 07:24 PM

I don't know your specific brand of fogs, but there should be no reason why you can't run them independant of the parking / head lights. However, you will need to switch them or they'll be on all the time. Depending on the wattage, I would get power directly from the battery, run to a switch, then out to the fogs. There should also be a relay in line (there were with the PIAAs my friend and I installed).

Just remember though, you'll have to flip the switch every time you want to turn them on and off. Might be easier to have them wired to the parking lights.
Old 04-05-2003, 02:40 AM

maybe you can just wire them up to your original fog light wireharness, afterall it is relayed, fused and switched already. just use wire-taps and tap into the positive and negative of the wireharness and connect that to your fogs. I'm sure it'll work fine.
Old 04-05-2003, 09:26 AM

Ok, there is a switch that comes w/the lights. They also have a fuse and relay. So, basically, I have to connnect the wire (which is supposed to be spliced w/the parking lights) directly to the battery and keep everything else the same as said in instructions?

I just want to get this straight before I start anything. There's three inputs to the switch. 1 - a ground wire. A 2nd input which is a white wire which comes from that wire coming from the relay to another ground loc. 3rd input is = a wire going to the battery?

The wiring diagram given by manufacturer..right click, save target as What do I need to change?

The reason why I want to go through all this trouble is b/c I want to have them running w/the highbeams. They're actually driving lights, not fogs.

Blazin2k, I'll let you know in a week or so. If I get these to work right, I'll sell the stock ones.
Old 04-05-2003, 09:28 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by nissan5788

Blazin2k, I'll let you know in a week or so. If I get these to work right, I'll sell the stock ones.
[/QUOTE
Thanks
Old 04-05-2003, 11:49 AM
2-Wheelin it...

as mentioned above, it would prolly look better and end up A LOT easier if you wired up to the stock wiring harness. this way, you can still use the fog switch on the headlight handle rather than placing a switch somewhere else on the car. tap into the wires and that should be it. if ANYTHING, why not snip the connector off your stock fogs and wire into that, so you really only have to snap the connector in and you're good to go.

one thing though, are these aftermarket fogs 35watt like stocks? if they are stronger, much stronger power, then perhaps tapping into stock fog harness isn't the smartest idea. but it's close, then i don't see a problem.

GOOD LUCK and let us know.
Old 04-05-2003, 12:09 PM

These are fogs that use the 55W H3 bulbs. I had these same ones on my Grand Am and for that, I had to use the relay provided but still was able to use the stock wiring and use that as power so I didn't need the switch. Provided I have to use the switch, does anyone know which wiring in that diagram I have to change? Just hook up the red wire from the switch to the battery (pos. or neg.?) and leave the rest as is?

These lights are great, on my GA, I could practically drive around w/o headlights on at night and was still able to see great. These + HIDs would be even better! In case anyone's wondering they're BlazerTech 3200 Driving Lights. They also make 2200 fog lights which are a true yellow.
Old 04-06-2003, 10:13 AM

Bump + yet another question

Okay, what about in Russ' fog rewire instructions...which wire are you supposed to tap into on a 2002 (9th step, "Soon to be updated for 2k2 install on which light wire to tap into" )?

Russ' Fog Rewire Instructions

This, I know some of you 2k2'ers have done. Can someone please reply back w/that info? Thanks!! (I really want to get this done by tonite )