5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Quick Service Question???

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 08:16 PM

Quick Service Question???

Took my car to the dealer (1st big Service problem) today about the Rotor issue, but I had several other things on the car that needs to be fixed.

Question#1: I told the service rep that I had a rattling noise coming from the rear passenger side. he said they would take a look, but squeaks and rattles are only covered under 12,000 miles/1 year? Is that true for a car like this?

Question#2: Since I have 24K miles on the car, i'm pretty sure I need a brake job as well. How much does a brake job (front/rear) normally run for this car?

I had to rent an 2K3 Altima until my car gets fixed, and it's not a bad car. Interior needs work, but this car has some decent acceleration.
Old 03-27-2003, 08:19 PM

Re: Quick Service Question???

Originally posted by MaxMus
Took my car to the dealer (1st big Service problem) today about the Rotor issue, but I had several other things on the car that needs to be fixed.

Question#1: I told the service rep that I had a rattling noise coming from the rear passenger side. he said they would take a look, but squeaks and rattles are only covered under 12,000 miles/1 year? Is that true for a car like this?

Question#2: Since I have 24K miles on the car, i'm pretty sure I need a brake job as well. How much does a brake job (front/rear) normally run for this car?

I had to rent an 2K3 Altima until my car gets fixed, and it's not a bad car. Interior needs work, but this car has some decent acceleration.
If your car has warped rotors they may fix it, depending on if you fall in the 3 year bracket
Old 03-27-2003, 09:25 PM

Re: Re: Quick Service Question???

Originally posted by Cutlr7

If your car has warped rotors they may fix it, depending on if you fall in the 3 year bracket

yeah, the car is 2 1/2 years old. another year and a half and it will be the end of the lease.
Old 03-28-2003, 03:47 AM

Get the Brake Judder TSB done. They will replace the pads for free and re-surface the rotors. I had mine done and have had no problems. Also, get the wind noise TSB done. This could be the rattling you are hearing from the rear due to crappy seals. They will order the parts if not in stock and re-seal both rear windows. I just got this done and it made a huge difference as well.
Old 03-28-2003, 04:09 AM

Re: Quick Service Question???

The service rep is messing with you. The rattle should be covered under the 3 year 36k bumper to bumper protion of the warranty, so you should be able to squeek in depending on when you placed the car in service. Ask him to show you in the owners manual where it says 12,000 miles or 1 year, because you see 3/36 bumper to bumper and 5/60 on the powertrain.
Old 03-28-2003, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by jmh8
Get the Brake Judder TSB done. They will replace the pads for free and re-surface the rotors. I had mine done and have had no problems. Also, get the wind noise TSB done. This could be the rattling you are hearing from the rear due to crappy seals. They will order the parts if not in stock and re-seal both rear windows. I just got this done and it made a huge difference as well.
wait, i just got off the phone with the service rep, he said they resurfaced the rotors, but he never mentioned anything about the pads being replaced. i hope this moron didn't put the same pads on my car after fixing the rotor problem.

i'm going to research this wind noise problem. how can wind noise cause rattling in the rear passenger door area?

i am not driving 1 hour each way to this dealer again.
Old 03-28-2003, 01:57 PM

Re: Re: Quick Service Question???

Originally posted by iwannabmw

The service rep is messing with you. The rattle should be covered under the 3 year 36k bumper to bumper protion of the warranty, so you should be able to squeek in depending on when you placed the car in service. Ask him to show you in the owners manual where it says 12,000 miles or 1 year, because you see 3/36 bumper to bumper and 5/60 on the powertrain.
that is a great question. never even thought of that. i really hate when people lie to you when they are trying to get out of providing good service.

i never had this horrible level of service before.
Old 03-28-2003, 03:25 PM

Re: Re: Re: Quick Service Question???

well u do now but u scared me for a sec. cuz i have lately been hearing this squeaking noise when by ca brakes but i havent checked it out and my warranty, if that short, would have been expired. anyways ideas on the squeaking?

that is a great question. never even thought of that. i really hate when people lie to you when they are trying to get out of providing good service.

i never had this horrible level of service before.
Old 03-28-2003, 04:12 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Quick Service Question???

Originally posted by max...to the ma
well u do now but u scared me for a sec. cuz i have lately been hearing this squeaking noise when by ca brakes but i havent checked it out and my warranty, if that short, would have been expired. anyways ideas on the squeaking?

i honestly don't know what it could be. when i drive at highway speeds i don't hear it. when i step on my brakes and slow down from 5-0mph i hear a creaking/sqeaking sound. it's driving my ****ing nuts. i am researching the board now to see if i can find anyone else with similar problems.
Old 03-28-2003, 04:37 PM

wait, i just got off the phone with the service rep, he said they resurfaced the rotors, but he never mentioned anything about the pads being replaced. i hope this moron didn't put the same pads on my car after fixing the rotor problem.

i'm going to research this wind noise problem. how can wind noise cause rattling in the rear passenger door area?

i am not driving 1 hour each way to this dealer again.
It was a discussion recently ("Endless cycle ...") about the cause for infamous judder and it seems that real reason is pads, not rotors - make sure they put new set or do it yourself, otherwise it'll come back in no time (less than 5k). They could've leave those poor rotors alone and with new pads you'd be fine in couple days anyway.