5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

HID Task Force

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 10:16 AM

HID Task Force

I was in my favorite shop in NY Concept 2000 (car store) and I overheard some guys talking about a new task force that is coming out and that have been out. These guys are cops and they are stopping people with HID's and are asking for paperwork like a receipt or someting saying that you brought them, because of all the thefts. From what they said if you cannot come up with paperwork they are confiscating your car. I do not know if this is tyrue or not remember this is what I overheard. If anyone else has heard of this please feel free to elaborate.
Old 03-25-2003, 10:23 AM

Re: HID Task Force

Originally posted by 2kprlmax
I was in my favorite shop in NY Concept 2000 (car store) and I overheard some guys talking about a new task force that is coming out and that have been out. These guys are cops and they are stopping people with HID's and are asking for paperwork like a receipt or someting saying that you brought them, because of all the thefts. From what they said if you cannot come up with paperwork they are confiscating your car. I do not know if this is tyrue or not remember this is what I overheard. If anyone else has heard of this please feel free to elaborate.
If that's true than wOOt!!! Find out if this task force accepts donations and I will send some cash!
Old 03-25-2003, 10:29 AM
jjs

Something tells me this is not going to get off the ground or if it does somehow, there will be more public outcry about invasion of privacy and anything else the ACLU can come up with than the support for catching thieves.
Old 03-25-2003, 10:32 AM

but it cut down on the robbery of hid's
Old 03-25-2003, 10:33 AM

Just like all of you guys, I am for anything that puts HID thieves in their place but this is going a little too far. There will be a public outcry if a program like this is put into place. I have a bunch of mods on my 98 Max and I don't have a single reciept proving that I paid for them. Imagine that instead of HID thefts, theives went after mufflers, wheels, stereo systems, etc. Would you be happy if a cop pulled you over and asked for reciepts for yours stereo and if you didn't have it, he would impound your car? Probably not. HID theft sucks but this isn't the right way to control it.
Old 03-25-2003, 10:38 AM
NT2SHBBY

thats a load of crap because if I get stopped in my 03 Maxima, they came with them stock!!!! I've got no receipts for them, and even if I had receipts, they damn well sure ain't gonna stay in my car.

Some cop stops me, asks for my receipt I'm gonna tell him to speak to my lawyer, Johnny Cochran.

Old 03-25-2003, 10:45 AM

like I said i over heard this and I don't know how tru it is. But I think it's for those HID's that are like 7K/8K but not sure.
Old 03-25-2003, 03:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: HID Task Force

Originally posted by 2kprlmax
Although it would be great, this sounds unlikely: even if they only target cars that don't come with HIDs stock (and they get that list right), what are the odds they can tell the difference between HIDs and PIAA Super Plasmas etc.? And confiscating your car? BS - maybe a fine.
Old 03-25-2003, 09:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I was going to make a smart as$ comment like "only in America" ... but I stopped myself ... kinda ... sorta

Anyways ... off topic .. but I wish the coalition forces well in the Middle East ... it's too bad that war was the only solution but that despot in Iraq needs to be ousted!
Old 03-26-2003, 02:32 AM

I think that the program will never see the light of day, and no judge in his/her right mind will ever prosecute a person for not having a reciept for HID's. It's too broad, example "a friend gave them to me for a favor, therefore I have no reciept, here's his testimony etc..." and waste tax payers money. Hard earned money I might add. This ain't Iraq where the government can get away with stuff that
Old 03-26-2003, 05:31 AM

You don't have to prove that you didn't steal them. The cops have to prove that you did steal them.
Old 03-26-2003, 07:43 AM

The only way this would work....

...is by making it illegal to install HIDs on cars that did not come from the factory that way. That's the only way a cop could pull someone over if they were not doing something else wrong.

However, if they do pull someone over and are informed enough to know what the HID ballasts from another car look like they might be able to do something with that.
Old 03-26-2003, 07:20 PM

Re: The only way this would work....

since HID theft is such an epidemic in NYC/NJ, i wish local cops, such as Newark PD set up a stakeout.. i mean they do it with prostitution( i've seen it on the TV show COPS)..

Leave a maxima out on the street in Newark for 2-3 hours, you'll definately get perps all over the HIDs in that timeframe.

i bet there is a few circles doing like 95% of all robberys..

just my 2 cents.. any local NYC/ NJ cops, any comments?
Old 03-26-2003, 07:27 PM

The only real effective "Task Force" is filing a complaint with the NHTSA. Once enough complaints have been filed, they will realize there is a problem and decide to put out a recall. I encourage anyone that is or has been a victim of HID theft to file a report.

The link is in my sig.