5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Clear spoiler brake LED installed....

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 09:47 PM
2-Wheelin it...

Clear spoiler brake LED installed....

warm day hit me today...decided to do the brake light. stupid thing was sitting in my room since november and TODAY i finally decided to put it in. all pictures are in my server, with close ups of the tabs along with a close up of the gap that ist left when installed.
only one hole was made, and that was becausethe wire comes through the middle, whereas the stock wire goes through the side. clear silicone is holding it up...took 1 hour to dry...i think it's look great. i thought the brakes would light up more of a pinkish color, but it is a PERFECT match with the stock brakes lights as far as intensity level of red. i like how you see the individual LED's and not just a streak of red.
hope you all like the pics, etc....

Link of all pictures - Click Me

Last edited by PoLo; 09-18-2008 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-22-2003, 09:58 PM

Nice Job.
Old 03-22-2003, 11:46 PM

strong work.

where did you get the clear led? how much? how hard was the install?
Old 03-23-2003, 12:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Looks Good....I did this too to my Max & did aWrite-Up. Also were the gap is left fill it w/ clear silicone-- b/c if water gets in there it will mess it up.
Old 03-23-2003, 07:16 AM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally posted by K Pazzo 6
Looks Good....I did this too to my Max & did aWrite-Up. Also were the gap is left fill it w/ clear silicone-- b/c if water gets in there it will mess it up.
good tip...will do that....and yes, Pazzo was the first one to do this, so he gets full credit. but i haven't seen anyone else do it, so i'm #2
i really like it a lot...like i said, the LED's light up and show as individual lights as compared to 1 long red streak and looks better.
Old 03-23-2003, 09:32 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by PoLo

good tip...will do that....and yes, Pazzo was the first one to do this, so he gets full credit. but i haven't seen anyone else do it, so i'm #2
i really like it a lot...like i said, the LED's light up and show as individual lights as compared to 1 long red streak and looks better.
Sweet lookin sir! Did you not use screws at all and just used clear silcone as the only means to affix it to the spoiler?

Again...looks VERY sharp.
Old 03-23-2003, 10:05 AM
JUVIN's ride

Looks

Damn good.

Take no offense, but you should cover your plate.

ONE
Old 03-23-2003, 10:15 AM
2-Wheelin it...

Re: Looks

Colonel:

screws not used. if you look at this image, you will see that although it's close, it does not line up AT LL.

i used silicon and held it up for an hour. later on last nite i used my trusty fingernail to peel away the excess silicone.

2k2Merlot:
yeah, i know i should, but then i get lazy...i plan on removing my plate for future pic displays. plus, i'm gettin my new plates next week, so these can be my decoy
thanx for lookin out though.

Last edited by PoLo; 09-18-2008 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-23-2003, 10:36 AM
L33t BMW Drivah

Where did you order it from, it looks awesome.
Old 03-23-2003, 10:51 AM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally posted by kloogy
Where did you order it from, it looks awesome.
15.5" Clear Led brake Light
Old 03-23-2003, 02:30 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Originally posted by PoLo

15.5" Clear Led brake Light
Thanks ! Got my next mod !
Old 03-23-2003, 04:40 PM

I put one of these on my car also. I got a little creative with mine this winter. I used a dremel tool and cut off all the tabs. Then I got some clear plastic hangers, the kind you use in your bath room, from Home Depot. Using the Dremel I cut them up and made tabs that I attached to the light with Plastic Weld and drilled the holes. Then I cut a grove into the back of the light (not all the way through it though) for the wire so I wouldn't have to drill a hole in the spoiler. Once I glued the wire in place and spliced the connector from the stock light I installed it just like the stock one.
This way it will be easy to take out if I ever need to. As cheap as these things are I figured what the hell, if I mess it up I'll just get another. I even thought about making a few and selling them but never got around to it.

No matter how you install it you will like it. They sure look good.
Old 03-23-2003, 10:24 PM

I just found my next mod. Good looking out guys....
Old 03-24-2003, 08:57 AM

leds floating in H20

anybody have trouble with water/moisture getting in you wing brake led?

i had some in mine, about a tablespoon. i took it off and did not find any holes in it or where it could take on water.

and 1 or 2 of the leds are not working now.

mine spoiler is an after market oem form spoiler depot.com

hopefully they will replace the light.
Old 03-24-2003, 12:25 PM

Re: leds floating in H20

Originally posted by kjpierce
anybody have trouble with water/moisture getting in you wing brake led?

i had some in mine, about a tablespoon. i took it off and did not find any holes in it or where it could take on water.

and 1 or 2 of the leds are not working now.

mine spoiler is an after market oem form spoiler depot.com

hopefully they will replace the light.
Yes I did have some but not that much. I couldn't figure where it could have come in either. With the amount of silicone K Pazzo 6 used he must have sealed it up pretty tight. I don't know if your gonna get that much water out you may just have to buy a new one. I put mine in the oven with it on warm for a while then after it cooled I siliconed up the edges and I've only had a slight condensation problem since. With all I've done to mine I can't say for sure...
At some point I will get a few and do a better job making them, after the first one I figured out a few things I can do better and I think the seal isn't the best from the factory were they welded it together and that is were the water is getting it. That part is also on top when installed. At least they don't cost much.
Old 03-24-2003, 12:37 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: Re: leds floating in H20

Originally posted by maximaman777

Yes I did have some but not that much. I couldn't figure where it could have come in either. With the amount of silicone K Pazzo 6 used he must have sealed it up pretty tight. I don't know if your gonna get that much water out you may just have to buy a new one. I put mine in the oven with it on warm for a while then after it cooled I siliconed up the edges and I've only had a slight condensation problem since. With all I've done to mine I can't say for sure...
At some point I will get a few and do a better job making them, after the first one I figured out a few things I can do better and I think the seal isn't the best from the factory were they welded it together and that is were the water is getting it. That part is also on top when installed. At least they don't cost much.
Are you guys referring to the aftermarket clear one or the factory red one? I just ordered this and am a bit wary. Water in stuff looks bad.
Old 03-25-2003, 05:27 AM

Re: Re: Re: leds floating in H20

Originally posted by Colonel

Are you guys referring to the aftermarket clear one or the factory red one? I just ordered this and am a bit wary. Water in stuff looks bad.
The aftermarket clear one. If you re-seal the edges of the clear one you will not have a problem.
Old 03-25-2003, 07:26 AM

Re: Re: Re: leds floating in H20

Originally posted by Colonel

i am talking about the aftermarket red one that came with my spoiler i ordered form spoiler depot. (oem knock off)

i called them and it falls under warrenty so they are going to replace it.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Clear Brake Lights

Hey,
Maybe it's me, and it probably is. I'm new to all this stuff. But the site for the clear LED brake lights is not working. Is there any other place you guys (ANYONE) could refer to me to purchase them? Along with step by step instructions?

Thanks

MAX-A-MAN
aka Just2kol
Old 09-18-2008, 06:30 AM

well, the thread is over 5 1/2 years old, maybe thats the problem?

Originally Posted by just2kol
Hey,
Maybe it's me, and it probably is. I'm new to all this stuff. But the site for the clear LED brake lights is not working.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:30 AM
Turbo'd Saab

I don't think there is anybody who sells this anymore, one of those mods that very few people did.

IBTL
Old 09-18-2008, 12:02 PM
2-Wheelin it...

sometimes, just ATTEMPTING an effort to look yields a variety of results....

http://www.electrodyne.cc/Merchant2/...de=555111CLEAR

you have to cut off the 2 inner tabs. the 2 outer tabs can stay, but they dont' line up with the stock holes. the best way i did it was by glueing it on, but that proved to be temporary only as it would fall off after a few months. ultimately, i don't know anyone that got it to stick. also, it would fill up with water, which sucked.

i'll go ahead and update the initial thread with active links, as i reorganized my website so nothing above works.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:28 AM

looks good!