5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Couldnt find a good anwser, clutch stuff.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 10:09 PM

Couldnt find a good anwser, clutch stuff.

I just got the 03 6spd, and I am new to driving stick, and I kno everyone is gonna say search but I couldnt find what I was looking for really, but know how to use the clutch. What is over using the clutch? I kno the difference bewteen mis shifting etc, but thats all engine mostly reving over rpm limit, but like what is bad for the clutch? I push it all the way in and shift and let out completely for 2nd gear and higher. Reverse is like first, but I use the clutch some to prevent from going to far or stalling. First gear seems like, I let the clutch all the way out almost and press the gas. I was doing like half way with the clutch and reving it to like 2-3 rpm range to get it going,(not anymore tho because I realized the clutch lets out towards me more) Was that ALOT of stress on the clutch or just using it more in a sence. Is it tough to burn out the clutch fast with what I WAS doing? Thanks again. Happy to be aboard this boat

Sterling

20/m/mass
Old 03-06-2003, 11:14 PM

Re: Couldnt find a good anwser, clutch stuff.

Originally posted by Sterling
I just got the 03 6spd, and I am new to driving stick, and I kno everyone is gonna say search but I couldnt find what I was looking for really, but know how to use the clutch. What is over using the clutch? I kno the difference bewteen mis shifting etc, but thats all engine mostly reving over rpm limit, but like what is bad for the clutch? I push it all the way in and shift and let out completely for 2nd gear and higher. Reverse is like first, but I use the clutch some to prevent from going to far or stalling. First gear seems like, I let the clutch all the way out almost and press the gas. I was doing like half way with the clutch and reving it to like 2-3 rpm range to get it going,(not anymore tho because I realized the clutch lets out towards me more) Was that ALOT of stress on the clutch or just using it more in a sence. Is it tough to burn out the clutch fast with what I WAS doing? Thanks again. Happy to be aboard this boat

Sterling

20/m/mass

ok, i might be stupid, but i don't really understand your post. OR for lack of a better term, I don't understand what you want to hear. So......

the only way that you will ruin a clutch is:

-doing burn outs
-riding the clutch excessivly
-bad down shifts

So basically when you shift, you want to get the clutch in and out as fast a possible, while maintaining a smooth ride. The less time you are riding the clutch, then the less wear. But this is conditional. You don't want to be slamming in and out of gears, just match RPM's and use quick feet. Always push the clutch in all the way, that is a must for long clutch life. Don't drive with your foot resting on the clutch. If you drive normal, then you shouldn't have any problems. If you do burn outs and crappy shifting the you will replace your clutch at about 40k. Nissan completely underrated the torque of this engine when designing the clutch... if you try to do a burn out, you WILL smell the clutch afterwards.

I hope this is what you needed to know
Old 03-06-2003, 11:23 PM

thanks, I guess I dont do any of that. The maxima has like a wierd clutch, its almost all the way out clutch and some gas....I was pressing out the clutch like half way and reving it up to 2-3 rpm...and it like jump a LIL SOMETIMES....but figured out where the catch point is now. I mean I would rev 1st gear up to 3 or 4 RPM, but would catch 2nd gear at like 2 RPM or something, and thats bad shifting right? Just cuz I think I am scared to switch normally because the car is new haha, just gotta match shfiting I guess...also when I down shift, I brake in that gear say 3rd and wait till RPM'S are kinda low and wait a few seconds and down shift, and slightly bring out the clutch and its like smooth as butter but I didnt know if thats more clutch wear and tear, it sounds like it could be but I dont kno if thats bad for the clutch or if a clutch is supposed to be used like that? Just wanna make sure thats ok. Anyone else grab point on the max 03 in first like almost all the way out?

I have never really driven a standard all the time its new, but I used to drive my friends cars and the catch points are all different so, just wondering, thanks for the input bro

Sterling
Old 03-07-2003, 07:26 AM

You could try double clutching when you downshift, it will take some practice but it is a far better method for downshifting.

Say for example you are in third gear, and you want to downshift to 2nd.

take it out of third, and put it in neutral, and release the clutch.
while the clutch is released, rev the engine up to a little above where it should be for your speed in 2nd gear. push the clutch in and pull it into 2nd and release the clutch.

This will take some serious practice. If i didn't describe it well just look up double clutching on the internet. I finally have the hang of it and it is incredibly smooth. The reason for letting the clutch out and reving when you are neutral, is it will bring the tranny's RPM's up to the engines RPM's. Whereas if you leave the clutch in, the tranny is disconnected from the engine, so it is a little more difficult to match. Also your synchros won't have to do nearly as much work when you double clutch. There is also less riding of the clutch in this method, the clutch is just in and out two times. Hope this helps
Old 03-07-2003, 10:04 AM
Boost.....

If the clutch is completely disengaged why would a burnout ruin it???
Old 03-07-2003, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by Padsy 02 6sp
If the clutch is completely disengaged why would a burnout ruin it???

Because to do a burnout the RPM's must be up and riding the clutch for a split second at that high rpm will mess it up pretty good.
Old 03-09-2003, 07:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

doesn't this slow you down?

When I downshift ... I push in the clutch ... blip the accelerator and then slowly let out the clutch ... this isn't healthy?

Originally posted by Bulldawg
You could try double clutching when you downshift, it will take some practice but it is a far better method for downshifting.

while the clutch is released, rev the engine up to a little above where it should be for your speed in 2nd gear. push the clutch in and pull it into 2nd and release the clutch.

This will take some serious practice. If i didn't describe it well just look up double clutching on the internet. I finally have the hang of it and it is incredibly smooth. The reason for letting the clutch out and reving when you are neutral, is it will bring the tranny's RPM's up to the engines RPM's. Whereas if you leave the clutch in, the tranny is disconnected from the engine, so it is a little more difficult to match. Also your synchros won't have to do nearly as much work when you double clutch. There is also less riding of the clutch in this method, the clutch is just in and out two times. Hope this helps
Old 03-09-2003, 08:19 PM
Banned

Double-clutching is not necessary in modern cars. In fact, if executed improperly, it may cause more harm than good. What you SHOULD do is rev-matched downshifts via throttle blipping. When you're downshifting without blipping by simply letting out the clutch slowly, you're allowing for the clutch to take the burden of matching the engine speed to the wheel/tranny speed. This will definitely create premature clutch wear. If you blip the throttle while downshifting, you can pretty much let the clutch out very quickly, thus minimizing slipping.

Sterling, I have an 03 as well, but my friction points starts pretty low. I'd say the first few inches of clutch pedal travel do nothing, but then it starts to engage, and stays engaged until the clutch is almost all the way out.

The odd things about the Max, at least in my opinion, are the long clutch travel, long engagement, and the drive-by-wire causing occasional problems.

This is also my first manual car, and I learned on it, and can drive pretty well now, so give it a few months and a couple thousand miles, and you should be having no probs.
Old 03-09-2003, 09:51 PM

Originally posted by vito1281

Double-clutching is not necessary in modern cars. In fact, if executed improperly, it may cause more harm than good. What you SHOULD do is rev-matched downshifts via throttle blipping. When you're downshifting without blipping by simply letting out the clutch slowly, you're allowing for the clutch to take the burden of matching the engine speed to the wheel/tranny speed. This will definitely create premature clutch wear. If you blip the throttle while downshifting, you can pretty much let the clutch out very quickly, thus minimizing slipping.

Sterling, I have an 03 as well, but my friction points starts pretty low. I'd say the first few inches of clutch pedal travel do nothing, but then it starts to engage, and stays engaged until the clutch is almost all the way out.

The odd things about the Max, at least in my opinion, are the long clutch travel, long engagement, and the drive-by-wire causing occasional problems.

This is also my first manual car, and I learned on it, and can drive pretty well now, so give it a few months and a couple thousand miles, and you should be having no probs.

Here is the best way to learn your friction point.

1. go to an empty parking lot, level is necessary
2. from a rest in first gear.
3. let the clutch out without using any gas. (the purpose is to
get the clutch fully engaged without using any gas.)

This will help you to get a better feel for the car. You should be able to do this without the car stalling. If the car is about to stall, then just depress the clutch, and start over. It took me about 4 tries before I got it down.
Old 03-10-2003, 06:01 AM
Boost.....

Because to do a burnout the RPM's must be up and riding the clutch for a split second at that high rpm will mess it up pretty good.
I beg your pardon.....not with my 2k2. Mabye a 2000 or 2k1.
Old 03-10-2003, 06:06 AM
Banned

Originally posted by ohboiya
doesn't this slow you down?

When I downshift ... I push in the clutch ... blip the accelerator and then slowly let out the clutch ... this isn't healthy?

When you blip the throttle, you should let the clutch out quickly. The whole point of blipping is so you can match the revs manually, rather than slipping the clutch slowly and letting it do the matching. Letting it out slowly while blipping the clutch kind of beats the purpose of rev-matching.
Old 03-10-2003, 06:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

kewl ... tkx!

Originally posted by vito1281

When you blip the throttle, you should let the clutch out quickly. The whole point of blipping is so you can match the revs manually, rather than slipping the clutch slowly and letting it do the matching. Letting it out slowly while blipping the clutch kind of beats the purpose of rev-matching.
Old 03-10-2003, 06:29 AM

I beg your pardon.....not with my 2k2. Mabye a 2000 or 2k1.

When I say high, I mean anything above 2k.....You have to load the clutch more than when normal driving......With 247 Ft-lbs of torque on an underdesigned clutch, it will slip no matter how good of a driver you are. If you don't beleive me, then keep doing burnouts.
Old 03-10-2003, 10:53 AM
Boost.....

When I say high, I mean anything above 2k.....You have to load the clutch more than when normal driving......With 247 Ft-lbs of torque on an underdesigned clutch, it will slip no matter how good of a driver you are. If you don't beleive me, then keep doing burnouts.
Its not that I dont believe you, it's just that your statements have been vague and now I've got you narrowed down....by the way a burn out is possible in a 2k2 reving to 1000rpm....by the way I never said I do burnouts all the time.
Old 03-10-2003, 06:23 PM

Its not that I dont believe you, it's just that your statements have been vague and now I've got you narrowed down....by the way a burn out is possible in a 2k2 reving to 1000rpm....by the way I never said I do burnouts all the time.

this takes too much energy....so
Old 03-11-2003, 04:28 AM
Boost.....

this takes too much energy....so
Ahhhh, c'mon its just getting fun now.....