5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Window tinting problems?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2003, 02:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Window tinting problems?

I own a 2003 Maxima SE, black. She's a beauty. I called a window tinting shop that's very well known in my area, recommended by several auto shops.

When I called them up and told them why type of car I had, he told he "wouldn't touch it".

He said something about Nissan making cheap door panels and when he tried with other maximas to remove the door panel he broke the "cheap staples" and had to order parts to replace the door panel or something like that. Of course, since I'm no auto tech I wasn't surewhat he was talking about, but now I'm concerned that if I take my car to some average joe shop, they will mess up the doors or something. Has anyone heard of any problems in window tinting?

Anyone know of a good shop in southeastern Michigan area?

Thanks,
nimans
Old 02-28-2003, 02:42 PM

Re: Window tinting problems?

Originally posted by nimans
I own a 2003 Maxima SE, black. She's a beauty. I called a window tinting shop that's very well known in my area, recommended by several auto shops.

When I called them up and told them why type of car I had, he told he "wouldn't touch it".

He said something about Nissan making cheap door panels and when he tried with other maximas to remove the door panel he broke the "cheap staples" and had to order parts to replace the door panel or something like that. Of course, since I'm no auto tech I wasn't surewhat he was talking about, but now I'm concerned that if I take my car to some average joe shop, they will mess up the doors or something. Has anyone heard of any problems in window tinting?

Thanks,
nimans
I had my 2K3 done with no problems. There were, however, imperfections in the glass that made the tint less than perfect.
Old 02-28-2003, 02:44 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

i had my 02 done with ZERO problems. I dont think this guy knows what he is doing, take it somewhere else...

Old 02-28-2003, 02:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had mine done as a gift from my friends. As far as I know, they didnt take the door panels off. Atleast it didnt look like they took it off.
Old 02-28-2003, 02:55 PM

I had mine done with no problems also, a good tint shop should not have to take off the door panels,I've had all my cars tinted for the past 10 plus years with door panels never taken off, like someone else said go somewhere else.
Old 02-28-2003, 03:03 PM

I have had no problems with mine.
I actually saw the car in the middle of the proceduure.
No panels were removed on my car.
Find another place.
Old 02-28-2003, 03:11 PM

take the door panel off? the door panels don't have to come off to tint windows in the maxima. they just tuck in the rubber that touches the inside of the window and then when you roll your windows down after the tint drys the rubber goes back into place. That guy has no idea what hes talking about. take it to a different guy.
Old 02-28-2003, 03:20 PM

what they said

Sunmasters or someone like that did mine in like 2 hours. Nothing was removed. The only tough part is they really can't do the rear window completely because of that little black dotting. The will offer to use a tint pen, which is like a Sharpie and black in the holes.

I just had them cut it off at the start of those dots, which is their SOP.

They did a good job - a couple of dust particles got under the tint on rear doors, but for the most part pretty clean.

Get some Plexus for cleaning the tint - it won't harm it and it protects the film. You can use it on your plastic head/tail light lenses (you can even use it on plastic sunglasses).
Old 02-28-2003, 03:57 PM
Moderator GT-R

RUN! And teach your old lady to run so you don't have to back after her azz.
Old 02-28-2003, 04:11 PM

The shop that did the tint on my car took the door panels off. I don't have any problems with my tint or the door panels. I was able to roll down my windows the second I drove away. I didn't have to wait a couple days like most people have to.
Old 02-28-2003, 04:14 PM
Moderator GT-R

RUN! And teach your old lady to run so you don't have to back after her azz.
Old 02-28-2003, 04:16 PM
2-Wheelin it...

Re: what they said

Originally posted by simon tx
Sunmasters or someone like that did mine in like 2 hours. Nothing was removed. The only tough part is they really can't do the rear window completely because of that little black dotting. The will offer to use a tint pen, which is like a Sharpie and black in the holes.

I just had them cut it off at the start of those dots, which is their SOP.

They did a good job - a couple of dust particles got under the tint on rear doors, but for the most part pretty clean.

Get some Plexus for cleaning the tint - it won't harm it and it protects the film. You can use it on your plastic head/tail light lenses (you can even use it on plastic sunglasses).
depends on the place painting the dot matrix layer. it can be done though. my shop did mine with no problems. they covered the matrix along with the rear in one sheet.

removing door panels. what the *** is that shop smoking. you never have to remove the door panels. PSYCHOS!!!!!
take it to another shop or if you are near the NJ, i know a reputable shop that you would be more than satisfied with. the name is Tropic Tint.

in a simple sentence, hundreds and thousands of maximas have had their windows tinted...yours is not the odd ball.
Old 02-28-2003, 04:26 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I did mine myself - and to do the small windows in the rear doors, you do have to remove the panels... why you ask? The rubber touches the glass on a large portion of the lower edge, thus preventing you from getting the entire window. To do it right, you have to actually remove the glass from the rubber surround. And to do that, you have to remove the rear panels, loosen some bolts that release the middle seperation strip, and allow you to remove the small triangular window...

The clips maintained their integrity very well, so either this guy is a hack or he's just got too much business to bother...
Old 02-28-2003, 04:27 PM

Re: Re: what they said

Some shops remove the panels... the better ones will remove them.

Here is a random link I found regarding this ...

http://www.mmtint.com/auto.htm
Old 02-28-2003, 04:29 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

I had my 2K and 2K2 limo tinted with no problems what so ever.
Old 02-28-2003, 04:51 PM

While replacing the speakers I removed all the door panels without any problems. The only difficult part was prying out the trimming that goes around the door handle release.

http://www.punkdork.net/max/doors_off.htm

You do have to apply a little effort to pull the panel off once you remove the screws and trimming.
Old 02-28-2003, 05:41 PM

I did mine and I have a 2k2, No problems...except the small windows in the back were a pain for the guy to tint. The only complaint was that it was tough to manuveur the tint in there....other than that it went smooth.
Old 02-28-2003, 06:05 PM
lcf

Originally posted by MaxSE2k
I did mine myself - and to do the small windows in the rear doors, you do have to remove the panels... why you ask? The rubber touches the glass on a large portion of the lower edge, thus preventing you from getting the entire window. To do it right, you have to actually remove the glass from the rubber surround. And to do that, you have to remove the rear panels, loosen some bolts that release the middle seperation strip, and allow you to remove the small triangular window...
That makes sense. Interesting. All I know is... my tint guy used a razor blade and the vent glass tint came out perfect? But hey, no one is saying taking off the door panels doesn't do the job.... its just unnecessary.
Old 02-28-2003, 08:15 PM

Removing the door panels is definately not needed and I wouldn't state that if a shop does it they are better. If it's hidden from sight, it's hidden, period. You will probably have problems with the dot matrix. I went to a very reputable shop that's been in business a long time and they had problems with it. It looks very good, but the dot matrix is just a pain in the butt to do.
Old 02-28-2003, 08:39 PM

got mine tinted for almost 2 years.. nothing.. perfect condition..
they did it without taking the panel off. My shop was pretty unique.. what they did was they type in the computer what make, model and year is the car.. and the computer will cut out the exact shape of the window.. so there is not trimming with razor blade or anything.. they did my back window in one peice... took one guy a long time to do.. (as much time as the other guy get done 4 doors)
Old 02-28-2003, 10:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for your input, I will check out a few other places.

Old 03-01-2003, 05:42 AM

Originally posted by nimans

Thanks,
nimans
This guy is CRAZY! I'm a professional tinter in NY State and I've done several Maxima's to include my own. There is no need to remove any door panels on your car. The tint gets placed about 1/2 inch below the lower window seal by using a special rubber tool. Go somewhere else and get it done correctly. Make sure they are using good tint! The cheap stuff will turn purple after a few years in the sun. Hope this helps!

john
Old 03-01-2003, 06:40 AM

Re: Re: Window tinting problems?

Originally posted by John2KSE

This guy is CRAZY! I'm a professional tinter in NY State and I've done several Maxima's to include my own. There is no need to remove any door panels on your car. The tint gets placed about 1/2 inch below the lower window seal by using a special rubber tool. Go somewhere else and get it done correctly. Make sure they are using good tint! The cheap stuff will turn purple after a few years in the sun. Hope this helps!

john
john, where in NYS are you? I'm always looking for a good tint shop, most people claim to be good but they are not. My tint jobs have been done at Sunshield Window Tinting in New Rochelle but their prices are out of control now.
Old 03-01-2003, 07:51 AM

When i had my tint done they didnt even take the door panels off. Your supposed to cut enough film to tuck in down into the door panel with a special tool. In this case the tool might be the tint guy!
Old 03-01-2003, 12:34 PM

like a few other people mentioned GO somewhere else, had mine tinted, no door panel removal required. all that needs to be done is push the rubber wiper down and apply tint. avoid that place like the plague!
Old 03-02-2003, 05:38 AM

Re: Re: Re: Window tinting problems?

Originally posted by spta97

john, where in NYS are you? I'm always looking for a good tint shop, most people claim to be good but they are not. My tint jobs have been done at Sunshield Window Tinting in New Rochelle but their prices are out of control now.
SPTA97, I'm in upstate NY near the Canidian Border. We won't do any tinting until it warms up a little more. The freezing temps. will cause the moisture bubbles to freeze, and this expands the tint, the result is the bubbles not drying out properly. So we will wait until the nightime temps stay above freezing. We normally charge 150-175 for a 4 door, depending on the difficulty of the back window.

John