5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: See my questions in Post 1 of this thread . . .
Copper plugs
14.67%
Iridium plugs
28.89%
Platinum plugs
56.44%
Voters: 450. You may not vote on this poll

5th Gen Spark Plug Replacements

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 08:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

5th Gen Spark Plug Replacements

For those who have replaced their spark plugs, what type of spark plug did you purchase, which brand did you purchase, why did you choose them, and what was your mileage when you replaced your OEM plugs?
Old 02-27-2003, 09:45 AM

Interesting. No one has replaced their spark plugs yet?

Old 02-27-2003, 09:55 AM

they car came with platium plugs that is good for 100k that why most people have not yet change the plugs. But at a full service at 52k i changed to Iridium plugs higher spark = more hp car runs smooth and i just turn 59k

cool "hope that answers your question."
Old 02-27-2003, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by Nyc2kMax
they car came with platium plugs that is good for 100k that why most people have not yet change the plugs. But at a full service at 52k i changed to Iridium plugs higher spark = more hp car runs smooth and i just turn 59k

cool "hope that answers your question."
Thanks for responding, Nyc2kMax. Your response was quite thorough. Hopefully others will follow suit.

I'm aware that the OEM plugs are good for 100K miles. But my suspicion is that most Org members won't wait that long to replace them.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:26 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally posted by y2kse

Thanks for responding, Nyc2kMax. Your response was quite thorough. Hopefully others will follow suit.

I'm aware that the OEM plugs are good for 100K miles. But my suspicion is that most Org members won't wait that long to replace them.
my sister's xterra had platnium but they were spent at 60k. im planning on replacing mine around the same time with the original platnium. copper may be a better conducter but im not running any boost so i doubt anything would be different except the cost.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:30 AM
wat

I will be getting NGK Copper, 1 step colder in about a month
Old 02-27-2003, 10:41 AM

Originally posted by look2me40
I will be getting NGK Copper, 1 step colder in about a month
Why?
Old 02-27-2003, 10:56 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Why?
im guessing the wink means nitrous.
Old 02-27-2003, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by sloppymax

im guessing the wink means nitrous.
Yeah. Me too.
Old 02-27-2003, 11:12 AM

I just put NGK Coopers in 2 days ago. Price was $2 per plug vs $12 for platinums at Murrays Discount Auto. Cooper actually performs slightly better than Platinums because the metal is a better conductor. The only drawback is that you have to change them earlier. The 60+ dollars I saved is definetly worth the half an hour it takes to change them more often.

Performance wise, I have noticed better throttle response and it seems that I have solved my cold driving problem(when the engine is cold and the temperature outside is below freezing, the engines hesitates and bucks). The car pulls really nicely now!

As for changing them at 100K, thats total BS for us Maxima Enthusiasts. I had 45k on my stock plugs and they had very little life left on them(judging from the electrode).
Old 02-27-2003, 01:12 PM

With three respondents, it's a dead heat . . . one copper, one iridium, one platinum. Who's going to break the tie?

BTW, I just posted a spark plug primer in the FAQs. Check it out.
Old 02-27-2003, 02:03 PM

changed at 30K

I had my 2000 GLE in for transmission TSB and I while it was there I decided to have 30K service done.

The dealer did things a little different than the Nissan manual.

In their opinion it is worth it to replace OEM plugs and fuel filter at 30K. This is based on their experience (or so the guy says).

I'll check and see what kind they put in (if i can figure it out).

They have a different kind of 30K - they basically deduct anything you do regularly (or should) like oil change and tire rotation and focus almost completely on transmission, timing adjustments and enginer performance.

Anyway - not sure if that helps your poll, but it does comfirm some service people do not believe in the 100K spark plug.
Old 02-27-2003, 02:37 PM

Re: changed at 30K

Originally posted by simon tx
I had my 2000 GLE in for transmission TSB and I while it was there I decided to have 30K service done.

The dealer did things a little different than the Nissan manual.

In their opinion it is worth it to replace OEM plugs and fuel filter at 30K. This is based on their experience (or so the guy says).

I'll check and see what kind they put in (if i can figure it out).

They have a different kind of 30K - they basically deduct anything you do regularly (or should) like oil change and tire rotation and focus almost completely on transmission, timing adjustments and enginer performance.

Anyway - not sure if that helps your poll, but it does comfirm some service people do not believe in the 100K spark plug.
Good info.

If Org members are going to replace their plugs every 30K, it probably doesn't make sense to buy expensive Platinum plugs. They'd be better off installing Copper or Iridium plugs. Does that make sense?
Old 02-27-2003, 02:52 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

I changed my OEM plugs at 53K miles to Denso Iridium. The thought I had in mind with these is the benefit of a better spark and long life. Well to my dismay I read on their web site (courtesy of SprintMax) that Denso suggests replacing them in 30K mile intervals. Unfortunately this was after I bought and installed them at a cost of $62 for the plugs.

I would suggest copper because of the low cost and better spark.

My platinum OEM plugs were tore up after 53K miles. I don't mind changing every 30K miles since it really only takes about a half hour. So at about 83K miles I'll pull the Iridiums and replace them with NGK coppers.

There is also the NGK Iridium X. I looked on their web site about how often they should be changed. There wasn't any recommended time interval, only was stated on an as needed basis.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-27-2003, 03:07 PM

Interesting. No one has replaced their spark plugs yet?

I have at 60k and it does make a difference, stick with the Platinum, the Iridiums work better for blown vehicles or such and the copper tends to burn out faster than the Plats.

Besides that I'd say forget about the stupid 100k plug change recommendation that is bull, my plugs were completely fried when I got them changed at my 60k service.

I was wondering why my car wasn't getting any acceleration when I hit the gas, I'd say don't wait go with what Nissan uses, plugs aren't necessarily proven to give you any gains from one to another, however there has to be some legitimate reason why most cars that require services at 100k are using Plats instead of copper or Iridiums.
Good luck on your choice though.
Peace
Old 02-27-2003, 03:32 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I am getting the Bosch Platinum plugs and wires next month @44K miles. How well do the Bosch's hold up?
Old 02-27-2003, 03:47 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally posted by 00SESoonToBe
I am getting the Bosch Platinum plugs and wires next month @44K miles. How well do the Bosch's hold up?
Wires? 2k Max's use ignition coil packs, not wires.
Old 02-27-2003, 03:50 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Re: changed at 30K

Originally posted by simon tx
Technically 5th gens don't have a fuel filter, it's more of a strainer. Also it's located in the fuel tank so the dealer would have had to drop the fuel tank to change it. You might want to check and make sure they didn't hose you on the job (charge you for the house without doing the work) by asking them how they changed the "filter".
Old 02-27-2003, 03:53 PM

Originally posted by bk2kmax

there has to be some legitimate reason why most cars that require services at 100k are using Plats instead of copper or Iridiums.
Peace
Right. The reason is that neither Copper or Iridium will hold up for 100k. Then again, neither will Platinum according to the experience of those who have responded to this thread.
Old 02-27-2003, 04:15 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by foodmanry

Wires? 2k Max's use ignition coil packs, not wires.

Woops, it's my first Nissan Sorry bout that
Old 02-27-2003, 04:21 PM
wat

You are correct...125 or 150 shot to be exact...whichever I can get working right.
Old 02-27-2003, 05:46 PM

y nobody mentions Beru Silverstone, silver is a better conductive material than either,plat,copper,iridium and it resists oxidation. I used them on my 4th gen and it's been 100+k and still in good shape. I'm planning to install them on my 02max if i can still find them.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:56 PM

BEST SPARK PLUGS

So which spark plugs is the best among the three, ignoring their life span as replacing them is less-than-an-hour job?

~limsandy
Old 02-27-2003, 08:34 PM

At 33K miles, I replaced the NGK's with Autolite Platinum (AP3924). I now have 50K miles. I'm very satisfied with the performance of the Autolite spark plug. I chose it because the center electode diameter is 2x larger at the tip than the NGK PFR5G OEM plug. I believe the spark profile is larger due to the increased size of the center electrode, yielding a stronger spark. The price is only $1.99/ea too. I won't return to the NGKs.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:48 PM
Eat Naaawwwzzzzz

i went with the ngk coppers 1 step colder and gapped a few stages.
Why? because im running nitrous and require a nicer spark =]

stock platinum sparks are not strong enought and the boost will blow it out 1.79 a plug too, works for me
Old 02-27-2003, 09:26 PM

Right. The reason is that neither Copper or Iridium will hold up for 100k. Then again, neither will Platinum according to the experience of those who have responded to this thread.
I was under the impression that iridium plugs would out last platinum plugs. At $15 a pop I hope so

I personaly put Denso iriduim plugs in my 2002 max at around 20K miles. Reason for doing so is because my oem ones got fouled after several MAFS failures. I chose iriduim plugs becuase they are the industrys best.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:36 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Unfortunately emax95 it states on Denso's web site that their Iridium plugs should be changed at 30K mile intervals. I hope that isn't the case though because I dropped those plugs in my car and they are quite expensive....I'll check them at 30K and if they are still good then I'll keep running them.

Originally posted by emax95

I was under the impression that iridium plugs would out last platinum plugs. At $15 a pop I hope so

I personaly put Denso iriduim plugs in my 2002 max at around 20K miles. Reason for doing so is because my oem ones got fouled after several MAFS failures. I chose iriduim plugs becuase they are the industrys best.
The best bang for the buck are the copper plugs.

Originally posted by limsandy
So which spark plugs is the best among the three, ignoring their life span as replacing them is less-than-an-hour job?

~limsandy
Old 02-27-2003, 09:45 PM

Originally posted by foodmanry
Unfortunately emax95 it states on Denso's web site that their Iridium plugs should be changed at 30K mile intervals. I hope that isn't the case though because I dropped those plugs in my car and they are quite expensive....I'll check them at 30K and if they are still good then I'll keep running them.

The best bang for the buck are the copper plugs.

The best bang for the buck and the best for performance are 2 different things

30K intervels is pretty poor.. Atleast I have two left oveer from the last plug change.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:48 PM

The best bang for the buck and the best for performance are 2 different things

Coppers are your best bang for the buck and performance.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:55 PM

Originally posted by MAX2000JP

Coppers are your best bang for the buck and performance.
I don't agree with your "performance" statement. Iridium is a better conducter and a stronger metal and all literature I have read has pointed to iridium being the beter performing plug..
Old 02-27-2003, 10:02 PM

I don't agree with your "performance" statement. Iridium is a better conducter and a stronger metal and all literature I have read has pointed to iridium being the beter performing plug..
Do a search on the .org and then you will agree with my performance statement.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:09 PM

Do a search on the .org and then you will agree with my performance statement.
lol, I have read dozens of comments on the org regarding spark plugs and there effects with performace. I have seen ZERO dyno results comparing any of these plugs, all I have seen is hear say. Also from what I have read people have stated that copper is a a beter perfoming plug then [EDIT]platinum[EDIT], this seems to be true, however saying copper out performs iridium is just a ignorant comment.

I have done research out side of the org on this topic over the years and it is a fact that iriduim out performs copper..

I have also seen multiple dyno result testing to back this claim up.

The bottom line here is that everyone thinks spark plugs don't add any real power. So arguing about which one performs better on here is essentialy useless.,
Old 02-27-2003, 10:16 PM

lol, I have read dozens of comments on the org regarding spark plugs and there effects with performace. I have seen ZERO dyno results comparing any of these plugs, all I have seen is hear say. Also from what I have read people have stated that copepr is a a beter perfoming plug then iridium, this seems to be true, however saying copper out performs iridium is just a ignorant comment.

I have done research out side of the org on this topic over the years and it is a fact that iriduim out performs copper..

I have also seen multiple dyno result testing to back this claim up.

The bottom line here is that everyone thinks spark plugs don't add any real power. So arguing about which one performs better on here is essentialy useless.,
Exactly my point, Coppers provide exactly the same performance as Iridiums. The only way you are going to notice a difference is if the plugs that you took out are worn. If you had brand new Coopers vs. Iridiums you couldnt tell any difference between the 2. Iridiums are all hype and are not worth the cost.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:38 PM

Exactly my point, Coppers provide exactly the same performance as Iridiums. The only way you are going to notice a difference is if the plugs that you took out are worn. If you had brand new Coopers vs. Iridiums you couldnt tell any difference between the 2. Iridiums are all hype and are not worth the cost.

Your agreeing with me yet going against what I said?
Iridium does infact offer a proven performance gain over copper). That is what where disscussing here, i would like to see closure to this..

Please refer to this link for all your spark plug qeustions http://www.automotivearticles.com/ge...e&articleid=18

Here you will see and understand why iridium is the best performing plug for our motor.

On a boosted application copper is the better performing plug, perhaps this is where the misconseption about coppers increased performance comes from.
Old 02-27-2003, 11:30 PM

Iridium is a better conducter and a stronger metal and all literature I have read has pointed to iridium being the beter performing plug..

That's what I thought.....

~limsandy
Old 02-28-2003, 05:23 AM

Please refer to this link for all your spark plug qeustions http://www.automotivearticles.com/ge...e&articleid=18

Once again, I posted the information contained in this article in the 5th Gen Forum FAQs. IMHO, emax95 is correct. But I'd recommend that you read the article and draw your own conclusions.
Old 02-28-2003, 05:32 AM
Administrator

only lazy people use platinum plugs or people who don't know how to change spark plugs...

but i am here for you

http://www.sprintmax.com/tails/sparkplug.htm
Old 02-28-2003, 06:30 AM

EMAX

I agreed that with your first part...

You are buying into the marketing of Iridium plugs. There will be no noticeable difference between new coppers and iridiums. Did you buy Spitfires when they came out?
Old 02-28-2003, 07:00 AM

EMAX

I agreed that with your first part...

You are buying into the marketing of Iridium plugs. There will be no noticeable difference between new coppers and iridiums. Did you buy Spitfires when they came out?
Before you take emax to task, MAX2000JP, did you read the article I posted in the FAQs?
Old 02-28-2003, 07:58 AM

Before you take emax to task, MAX2000JP, did you read the article I posted in the FAQs?
Yes I did and I did a search....A lot of the people I respect for their knowledge have stated their opinions on this matter.

Iridiums are not worth the extra money........

Quick Reply: 5th Gen Spark Plug Replacements