5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: See my questions in Post 1 of this thread . . .
Copper plugs
14.67%
Iridium plugs
28.89%
Platinum plugs
56.44%
Voters: 450. You may not vote on this poll

5th Gen Spark Plug Replacements

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by foodmanry
Technically 5th gens don't have a fuel filter, it's more of a strainer. Also it's located in the fuel tank so the dealer would have had to drop the fuel tank to change it. You might want to check and make sure they didn't hose you on the job (charge you for the house without doing the work) by asking them how they changed the "filter".

actually they don't have to drop the tank, they have to take the back seat cushion out and there's an access plate.

oh and I changed my plugs at 85,000 because I figure I should and because the car pings from time to time a lot. But then I also had coil problems. And the coils died after I changed the plugs. They were covered under my extended warrenty. So the coils and labor only cost me $50 deductible...

As for plugs, I went with Denso platinums, from autozone. $5/ea
Old 12-13-2004, 08:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

5th Gen Spark Plug Replacements

I just bought the Bosch platinum and installed them today. My 01 AE has about 65K when I bought it two weeks ago. I always tune up vehicles that I've purchased used. This is no exception.

I chose Bosch because they were the cheapest and up here in Toronto, the only plugs that I could find are either the Bosch platinum (about US$ 5.00 /pair) or the Bosch Iridium ( about US$ 11.00 per pair). I did notice a little rough idle after replacement. Can't say if this is beaing caused by the plug or the PCV valve (which I also replaced - possible vacuum leak). I must say, removing those connectors are a pain. I must have cracked a lip on one, nothing major though).

I'll observe my mileage this week. If I don'e see an improvement, I'm switchig to the Iridiums.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:33 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

alot of 4th gen guys reported rough idling and misfires after using bosch. if the rough idling persists, consider the ngk coppers.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:43 AM

wait people have been mentioning the whole no fuel filter in the 2ks, so is there a diy thread where it shows how to clean your fuel screen? my car has 112k and my spark plugs hasnt been changed...no wonder i lose to hondas haha
Old 12-14-2004, 12:47 PM

I came across thread similar to this one in 4th gen forum a while back.
A lot of 4th gen owners were complaining when they switched to a plug other than NGK. Bosh was the brand most people had problems with.
I've always used NGK plugs and never any problems with premature burnout or detonation. In my 98 I used coppers because changing them was a breeze. On my 02 I will use platinums because the rear bank looks like a pain to change.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:35 PM

One other comment; an earlier note that their Maxima idled "rough" at start-up after changing the plugs. That's normal...the ECU has to re-tune itself after changing plugs. It should clear up very quickly.
Old 12-19-2004, 05:27 PM

RBNERON: I agree with your comment. After changing to Bosch, the car was rough at start. It has since settled down. I didn't notice any change in fuel efficiency though. Must be due to the cold winter weather we have up here.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:00 PM

I did a baseline dyno on my car last week to see what it picks up with the Place CAI. In the high rpms, it was having spark issues, so I'm going to install NGK copper plugs while installing the CAI. Is the .044 gap correct for these plugs? I don't have a high opinion of platinum plugs, so will definitely be going with copper.

Once I have the CAI and plugs installed, I will do another dyno run and post the results.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

6 NGK lazer platinum Spark plugs for $50

I replaced my spark plugs a few months ago with the stock NGk lazer platinum plugs. I was actually on the infiniti forums and found a guy who could get 6 plugs for me for less than $50 shipped. Real nice guy, got them to me in less than a week. They work great and actually came in OE nissan factory boxes not NGK packages. Same part number but original equipment plugs. The cheapest i was able to find them on the internet was $11 plus s/h. Give him a try if you are looking at replacing your old plugs with OE plugs.

elwesso@insightbb.com

or

Wes Stinson at wes@q45.org
Old 12-20-2004, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by 00SESoonToBe
I am getting the Bosch Platinum plugs and wires next month @44K miles. How well do the Bosch's hold up?
Org members aren't too keen on the Bosch. I put in NGK Platinums on my 99 SE and 00 GLE. I have 90k on both cars, and now they perform smoother and respond faster... NGK Plats were $9 with the Courtesy Nissan discount.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:00 AM
Banned

I have 98k on my 03 now and I'm finally starting to think about changing the plugs and coils. I figure if I'm doing one, might as well do both! Let's call it "multitasking".

Anyway: looks like NGK Platinums are the way to go here from the thread. I'll post results after I'm done.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:13 AM

I got The Denso Iridiums, 12$ each.. 1 step cooler, its able to be used for Nitrous.. higher Spark, you get what u Pay for, and Overall better..Also, was Changed at 60 k
Old 12-23-2004, 05:34 AM

I have yet have to check my oem orignal plugs but currently i have 38k miles on my car. It's true about Copper plugs are usually best since they do have better conductor, however like most said above that it require more frequent plug change every 15k. I'm not sure if I'm willing to deal with that, again, I don't put a lot of miles on my car.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:58 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by NISSAN-DRIVEN
I replaced my spark plugs a few months ago with the stock NGk lazer platinum plugs. I was actually on the infiniti forums and found a guy who could get 6 plugs for me for less than $50 shipped. Real nice guy, got them to me in less than a week. They work great and actually came in OE nissan factory boxes not NGK packages. Same part number but original equipment plugs. The cheapest i was able to find them on the internet was $11 plus s/h. Give him a try if you are looking at replacing your old plugs with OE plugs.

elwesso@insightbb.com

or

Folks,

I contacted Wes, the seller, and he will try to offer a similar deal to us. I don't want to start a group buy as I'm not a seller...All I want to do is save some $, so I will include my email conversation with him and see if anyone is interested to buy NGK platinums. Maybe if enough people contact him, we can all save some $:

Email thread:

"I cant say now, ill have to talk to my people.. I would assume theyd be about the same price of about $45 for 6...... Give or take some.....

Take Care,

Wes Stinson
Q45.org Technical Advisor
www.q45.org
See my car at http://www.Q45.org/bad
----- Original Message -----
To: 'Wes Stinson'
Sent: Thursday, December 23, 2004 1:15 PM
Subject: RE: Spark Plugs

OK, Wes, thanks. If I post at the Maxima.org site for a group buy, what is the best you can do say for 10 orders, including shipping?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Thursday, December 23, 2004 11:06 AM
To: Jim Kotantoulas
Subject: Re: Spark Plugs

Im sorry I couldnt be more help..

If you know of some more guys that woudl warrant me making an order, i can arrange that

Take Care,

Wes Stinson
www.q45.org
To: 'Wes Stinson'
Sent: Thursday, December 23, 2004 10:14 AM
Subject: RE: Spark Plugs

Thanks Wes. No they will not work.

Jim

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Monday, December 20, 2004 7:35 PM
To: Jim K
Subject: Re: Spark Plugs

John

I can only get the PFR5G-11 plugs.. I dont know if they will interchange, thats up to you to figure out.. my guess would be know... If you are still interestd, i could check with my supplier and see if I can do a special order

Take Care,

Wes Stinson
www.q45.org
To: elwesso@insightbb.com
Cc: wes@q45.org
Sent: Monday, December 20, 2004 8:47 PM
Subject: Spark Plugs

Hello,

I'm a member at the Maxima.org forum. Based on the following thread, do you still sell NGK Laser Platinums for $50 shipped? If yes, then I would like to buy them from you. I have a 2002 Maxima SE with the VQ 3.5 engine and the NGK part number is PLFR5A-11, Qty 6. From the forum:

6 NGK lazer platinum Spark plugs for $50

elwesso@insightbb.com

or

Thanks,
Jim"
Old 03-30-2005, 05:17 AM
drag racing is for wussies

Someone supply me with copper, iridium plugs and I will dyno them against my -to be put in today- OEM NGK plats. I can end this discussion with a dyno. Spark plugs do no add HP, unless you run Bosch plugs they you are acutally loosing HP. I got 6 plugs for 42 bux from Nissan- yes platinums, along with a new MAF for 70 bux.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:53 PM

I'm replacing mine soon(as soon as they arrive) with stock platinums. I just bought the car with 160Km(100k miles) and don't know what plugs are in it. I thought if i'm doing a tune-up, replace the plugs. I called the stealership(London, Can.), nearly sh*&,
$23.22 each?????. Org. member to the rescue..... $38.00 to the mailbox. Now that's a good enuff reason to me to use Platinum Plugs!
Old 03-31-2005, 07:19 AM

Stick with Ngk IX iridium ($43). A mechanic at the dealership told me about customers who used non NGK plugs and had bad results with them because of a different resistance that other plugs have screw up ecu readings. They had a lot of misses and studder. Also on 2k2 maximas, you have to take off the entire intake manifold to get to rear plugs. $23 for new intake gasket and $280 for the dealer to do the rear plugs. Pretty steep for just new sparkplugs
Old 03-31-2005, 09:56 AM

NGK is the only way to go!

I just recently replaced my Original NGK Platinum plugs at 97K. My car still started and ran fine but I knew it was time to make a change. I spent money on the NGK platinums at about $60.00 for the set, but I don't plan on having to change them for at least 60k miles.

My father was a mechanic for years and he always stated the following:

You should use the type of plug that the manufacturer suggests. On the japanese imports, use NGK or Nippodenso. You would probably run Bosch plugs on a Mercedes, BMW or Volvo. Domestic vehicles, well who really cares since this is a Nissan site, but AC/Delco in a GM vehicle, and so on. The manufacturers design their vehicles to run with the factory plugs, so you would not run Splitfires or Champions in a Max.

That's my two cents worth.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:09 AM

Why use anything else besides Platinum? It's bling bling!
Old 03-31-2005, 11:17 AM

No, but on a more seriously note, our car manual recommends using NGK Platinum plugs, not anything else... I replaced my plugs at 72k and the tips were burnt, yet I did not have any problems with my car before the replacement. Now if you have not had any problems with stock plugs why would you want to use iridium or copper? My suggestion? Go with stock and you'll be as satisified as the first time you drove your car out of the lot.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:35 AM

T’s a good idea to check the plugs every 30K or so not only for the wear but for oil leek into the plug pit. It’s not unusual for the valve cover seals to leek oil.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:41 AM

NGK IX iridiums, the only way to fly.
Old 07-16-2005, 03:28 AM

I just change my plugs i put in some Denso Iridiums they cost about 13 a piece.
I had oem plugs on it that i didnt need to change they were fine but i got the hook up with the iridium ones and change them, i could notice the difference not in power i doubt it give any but the car feels very smooth they are ok
I
Old 07-16-2005, 08:55 AM

this can be off topic but i was wandoring if changing your sparkplugs would help MPG. because i am barely getting 200 miles out of a full tank using 93+ octane=$2.49 a gallon here, and i also have a CAI which is supposed to help me with gas milage! please help me before i go broke!
Old 07-16-2005, 09:29 PM
Sports Button FTW

i put in NGK copper plugs @ 63k miles. My old ones were almost dead from the look and i felt a slightly better response with the new plugs. I figure they have a 30k life which is roughly 2 years. If the car isnt sold by then i'll have boost on the way and it will be time to put in colder plugs anyway .
Old 07-16-2005, 09:35 PM

Replaced OEM @ 70K with OEM. Have 120K now and enjoy them.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by bvenvert
I just recently replaced my Original NGK Platinum plugs at 97K. My car still started and ran fine but I knew it was time to make a change. I spent money on the NGK platinums at about $60.00 for the set, but I don't plan on having to change them for at least 60k miles.

My father was a mechanic for years and he always stated the following:

You should use the type of plug that the manufacturer suggests. On the japanese imports, use NGK or Nippodenso. You would probably run Bosch plugs on a Mercedes, BMW or Volvo. Domestic vehicles, well who really cares since this is a Nissan site, but AC/Delco in a GM vehicle, and so on. The manufacturers design their vehicles to run with the factory plugs, so you would not run Splitfires or Champions in a Max.

That's my two cents worth.
Very true, i had a vw jetta and i used autolite spark plug when i did my first tune up. Car ran like sh*t and had starting problem. I talked to vw mechanic and he asked me what kind of plugs i put in and told me to take them out an put bosch plugs in only. car run great after putting bosch plugs back it. STICK WITH WHAT CAME W/THE CAR
Old 07-18-2005, 08:20 AM

Anyone have a good procedure for replacing the sparkplugs in an '00 Max? The link in the "How-Tos" http://www.nissanx.net/tanman/
mirror doesn't work!
Old 07-18-2005, 01:52 PM

no BKR5E-11, no care
Old 07-18-2005, 02:34 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

Originally Posted by screamindman
NGK IX iridiums, the only way to fly.
only if you knew how many people changed back to copper/platinum from trying out Iridiums
Old 07-18-2005, 09:02 PM

getting at the rear 3 plugs what do you have to remove, you can get at the 3 in the front really easy but the rear 3 is another story, i have a 01
Old 07-18-2005, 09:05 PM

does brand name really matter? if so what is the best? got to change mine, get 64k on stock and idle is a little up and down while not pushing the gas. plugs or something else?
Old 07-18-2005, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by jgosses
Anyone have a good procedure for replacing the sparkplugs in an '00 Max? The link in the "How-Tos" http://www.nissanx.net/tanman/
mirror doesn't work!
I have a copy of it, Pm me an e-mail address and I will e-mail it to u
Old 07-18-2005, 09:06 PM

What about NGK iridium

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/product...420&country=US
Old 07-18-2005, 09:09 PM

I don't much about metals, But my 2000 CBR 929 uses Iridiums plugs, Thats good enough for me
Old 11-01-2005, 10:07 PM

Replacing OEM with OEM next weekend. 139k and still runs fine, no prob, but I think its about time
Old 11-02-2005, 08:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey, I just got the Platinum ones like 2 days ago. I cant tell you anything right now, but i will get back at you when I drive it around for a little bit. I chose them because they were the most expencive ones and I think that they should do good job. I changed them when i had 72k on 2000 Nissan Maxima SE.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by y2kse
Once again, I posted the information contained in this article in the 5th Gen Forum FAQs. IMHO, emax95 is correct. But I'd recommend that you read the article and draw your own conclusions.
I read you article in the FAQ. My compliments - it's excellent.

There is a lot of infomation there, and the article certainly provides all the reasoning why metal A should better than metal A under certain conditions. It would be nice to hear about controlled experiments that confirm the reasoning your article.

For most of us, the trade-off is the cost of (in)frequent replacement vs. the replacement cost of six plugs vs. any performance gain/decrease. I am not sure how to make the decision, although I hear that:
- Copper is best when replacement cost (labor) is not an issue,
- Irridium is th best when the labour costy is high.

In my case, this says "Go with the Irridium".

Any comments, Y2kSE ?
Old 01-06-2006, 01:27 AM
dot dot dot ...

Spark Plugs are
Old 01-06-2006, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by max929
I have a copy of it, Pm me an e-mail address and I will e-mail it to u
Can I ask you send it to me as well...thanks!

Quick Reply: 5th Gen Spark Plug Replacements