5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Pi$$ed off a Z06 Vette yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 11:16 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally posted by Allan 2000
P.S.
My topic is not far off from the original.
but if u rather jus talk about edging out vette's knock urself out.

I took off on a tangent.

Actually no i jus used the cop thing as an illustration.

everyone else turned it into the new topic of conversation.

and i did say supposedly right?

you have heard of tangents?
Mathmatical or conversational? I'm just kidding...I'm a smart@ss by nature.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by Quicksilver

Mathmatical or conversational? I'm just kidding...I'm a smart@ss by nature.
ok...lol
im one too so no fight here.
Old 02-24-2003, 01:08 AM

Old 02-24-2003, 08:49 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Misinformation at it's best. It seems like the Domestic and F-Body guys only know the truth. Modified police cars is probably the biggest urban legend in the automotive world.

The Caprice was available with an LT1 option. Yes, the motor is similiar to that current year Vette, but the power levels are completely different. The Caprice LT1 had a 260hp LT1 with iron heads, iron block, less aggressive cam, 9.5:1 compression, very restrictive intake. The Vette of the same year pushed out 305hp and had alumninum heads, block, 10.2:1 compression, etc.

The Impala SS that was available from 94-96 pretty much was a done up Caprice LT1 model. It shared many of the same compontents with the Caprice LT1 (suspension, motor, etc). I believe the Caprice LT1 came with 2.73 or an available 3.08 gear. The SS came with 3.08s.

The Impala SS/Caprice LT1 were good for around 137/140mph depending on if a lightbar was on there. A loaded Caprice LT1 (cop gear, lightbar) ran mid 15@90mph or so. The Impala SS was good for lower 15s@91mph.

The police issue Camaro have NOTHING special, performance wise. They're not called Z28s either. They're called package "B4C". The only special about these cars is that they have duty duty electrical systems, oil coolers, etc. The LT1/LS1 is BONE STOCK.

The police DO NOT modifiy there cars because there is no need and it's too expensive. First off, the police could never get away with spending the money to modifiy there cars with taxpayer money. Second, the auto makers wouldn't waste the time developing and shoehorning in "special" motors that wouldn't be made available in public versions of the same car. Third, the cops like reliable cars, modifying them makes them less reliable and it's harder to source parts.

Cop cars are generally slower than the civilian versions of the same car because they're heavier with all the cop gear.

Dave
Old 02-24-2003, 09:13 AM
OG and counting...

My .02

Originally posted by Dave B
Misinformation at it's best. It seems like the Domestic and F-Body guys only know the truth. Modified police cars is probably the biggest urban legend in the automotive world.

The Caprice was available with an LT1 option. Yes, the motor is similiar to that current year Vette, but the power levels are completely different. The Caprice LT1 had a 260hp LT1 with iron heads, iron block, less aggressive cam, 9.5:1 compression, very restrictive intake. The Vette of the same year pushed out 305hp and had alumninum heads, block, 10.2:1 compression, etc.

The Impala SS that was available from 94-96 pretty much was a done up Caprice LT1 model. It shared many of the same compontents with the Caprice LT1 (suspension, motor, etc). I believe the Caprice LT1 came with 2.73 or an available 3.08 gear. The SS came with 3.08s.

The Impala SS/Caprice LT1 were good for around 137/140mph depending on if a lightbar was on there. A loaded Caprice LT1 (cop gear, lightbar) ran mid 15@90mph or so. The Impala SS was good for lower 15s@91mph.

The police issue Camaro have NOTHING special, performance wise. They're not called Z28s either. They're called package "B4C". The only special about these cars is that they have duty duty electrical systems, oil coolers, etc. The LT1/LS1 is BONE STOCK.

The police DO NOT modifiy there cars because there is no need and it's too expensive. First off, the police could never get away with spending the money to modifiy there cars with taxpayer money. Second, the auto makers wouldn't waste the time developing and shoehorning in "special" motors that wouldn't be made available in public versions of the same car. Third, the cops like reliable cars, modifying them makes them less reliable and it's harder to source parts.

Cop cars are generally slower than the civilian versions of the same car because they're heavier with all the cop gear.

Dave
Caprice 9C1 ('94 - '96): Shared a detuned variant of the LT-1 found in the Corvette and Z28 of that day. There was an option for the LT-1 to be added to the civilian Caprice but many opted for the 4.3L V8. The car hp was 260 and tq was 330. These cars were the modern day equivalents of the Dodge Monacos in the mid to late 70s (440 cid, 375 hp).

Impala SS ('94 - '96): Basically a gussied up 9C1 (even the heavy duty components were left in them).

Crown Victoria P71: In the early '90s those cars were running a severely detuned variant of the Mustang's 5.0L. In 1996, they started bringing out the modular 4.6 V8 and many cops I talked to raised a stink about the performance versus the 9C1. Currently, the P71 is at the same HP number as the 9C1 but does not have the low end torque that the 9C1 had. However, the 9C1 would get owned by a P71 in the midrange to top end as far as performance is concerned (except for top speed where the 9C1 would still win with its 140 mph top speed). However, the P71 did get the nod as far as refinement and smoothness is concerned.

BTW, I have driven both in different iterations

Caprice 9C1 (2 9C1s, 2 Impala SSs)
Crown Vic (Lincoln Town Car which shares the same platform and drivetrain as the Crown Vic/Grand Marquis)

BTW, you might want to check these two forums out dedicated to those vehicles:

www.crownvic.net
www.9c1.com
Old 02-24-2003, 09:19 AM
OG and counting...

My .02

Originally posted by Dave B

Dave
Caprice 9C1 ('94 - '96): Shared a detuned variant of the LT-1 found in the Corvette and Z28 of that day. There was an option for the LT-1 to be added to the civilian Caprice but many opted for the 4.3L V8. The car hp was 260 and tq was 330. These cars were the modern day equivalents of the Dodge Monacos in the mid to late 70s (440 cid, 375 hp).

Impala SS ('94 - '96): Basically a gussied up 9C1 (even the heavy duty components were left in them).

Crown Victoria P71: In the early '90s those cars were running a severely detuned variant of the Mustang's 5.0L. In 1996, they started bringing out the modular 4.6 V8 and many cops I talked to raised a stink about the performance versus the 9C1. Currently, the P71 is at the same HP number as the 9C1 but does not have the low end torque that the 9C1 had. However, the 9C1 would get owned by a P71 in the midrange to top end as far as performance is concerned (except for top speed where the 9C1 would still win with its 140 mph top speed). However, the P71 did get the nod as far as refinement and smoothness is concerned.

BTW, I have driven both in different iterations

Caprice 9C1 (2 9C1s, 2 Impala SSs)
Crown Vic (Lincoln Town Car which shares the same platform and drivetrain as the Crown Vic/Grand Marquis)

BTW, you might want to check these two forums out dedicated to those vehicles:

www.crownvic.net
www.9c1.com

One more thing, you are correct in that they have to carry more gear, but another factor is the aerodynamics of the vehicles with the light bar. You will notice a "slick" car will have a higher top speed than one with a light bar due to the drag induced by the light bar. A good example of this is the Federal Signal Streethawk. This bar is a bit higher and taller than most thus lending more drag versus a Whelen Edge or Whelen FastTrax system.

Federal Signal StreetHawk

Whelen Edge

Whelen FastTrax
Old 02-24-2003, 09:25 AM
OG and counting...

BTW, the Mustang Police Package is SS4 or Special Service 4.
Old 02-24-2003, 10:03 AM

Originally posted by PrinzII
BTW, the Mustang Police Package is SS4 or Special Service 4.
Actually, the 4.6 went into service in 1992 when the current Crown Vic platform was introduced The Mustang police package, as well as every other Ford was known as the SSP, "Severe Service Package". This included everything from Taxi's to Ambulances. Not just Police duty.