5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Dynamated my whole trunk (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2003, 07:39 PM

Dynamated my whole trunk (PICS)

I couldnt take all the ratteling so I ended up Dynamating. I had them Dynamat the whole back trunk and the rear deck. Now I turn my music to the MAX and there is no ratteling at all, Im very satisfied with Dynamat Xtrem.

Click here and check out page 3
Old 01-26-2003, 09:24 PM

very nice setup. is that the 501u panasonic? i have that faceplate in my old car. i got it the day it came out. i love it.
Old 01-26-2003, 10:31 PM

hey you have a DTM muffler too...thats cool, i thought i was the only 5th gen w/ that
holla

oh yea, nice dynamatting
Old 01-26-2003, 11:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Should get a rear trunk lid cover now. Get it from DaveB. It will cover up the dynamat you see on the trunk lid. I think it is $65 with clips.

I need to get one too.

Dixit
Old 01-27-2003, 12:52 AM

How much did you pay for the whole dynamat?

~limsandy
Old 01-27-2003, 12:46 PM

Thanks for the comments guys. Yes it is the Pan. faceplate. Big Dog im in the process of ordering it my trunk will look a whole lot cleaner. I used about a box and half of Dynamat Xtrem with each box consisting of 9 sheets so I ended up using 14 sheets which did exactly what I needed. I ended up paying cost $200.00 for the whole thing bc I did it at my cousins stereo shop in Riverside.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:29 PM
Sold 2 99Silvermist SE :)

Originally posted by BLaZin 2k MaX
Thanks for the comments guys. Yes it is the Pan. faceplate. Big Dog im in the process of ordering it my trunk will look a whole lot cleaner. I used about a box and half of Dynamat Xtrem with each box consisting of 9 sheets so I ended up using 14 sheets which did exactly what I needed. I ended up paying cost $200.00 for the whole thing bc I did it at my cousins stereo shop in Riverside.
can dynamat be reused... i have it in my old car and would love it in the max ???????????
Old 01-27-2003, 01:43 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Re: Dynamated my whole trunk (PICS)

I couldnt take all the ratteling so I ended up Dynamating. I had them Dynamat the whole back trunk and the rear deck. Now I turn my music to the MAX and there is no ratteling at all, Im very satisfied with Dynamat Xtrem.

Click here and check out page 3

All you used on the rear deck was xtreme, no foam, and it killed all the deck rattles?

Also, did the trunk treatment reduce the interior noise from your muffler much?
Old 01-27-2003, 02:08 PM

PhatMax you can try to peel it off but its gonna be a B@#$%. It wont come off, you might get little portions but that **** is just too sticky. I didnt use any foam at all and there is no ratteling inside at all, Im thinking about putting foam in between the bumper, becasue there is like a foam thing and it leaves a gap which causes all that ratteling from outside. The Dynamat reduced it but it didnt get rid of it.
Old 01-27-2003, 06:44 PM

Big Dog I remember you saying in a post that a rubber mat would kill the bass is that correct?? Bc Iv been trying to get something like that bc the peice of **** rag we got keeps moving around with my subs.
Old 01-27-2003, 06:49 PM

Big Dog I remember you saying in a post that a rubber mat would kill the bass is that correct?? Bc Iv been trying to get something like that bc the peice of **** rag we got keeps moving around with my subs.
What you need to do is screw the box down. Cant have box moving around like that, not safe, and is a deadly weapon, can be like a missle in an accident.

Now that I just mentioned all this, is your subs in a box or in the sparetire well? I only meant the rubber would kill the bass if you have the subs in the sparetire well.

Dixit
Old 01-27-2003, 11:14 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Do you have any pics of the dynomat you put on the rear deck? I can't stand the rattling. Check out my subs, they slam but is embarrasing when the rattling is so bad. Thanks
Old 01-27-2003, 11:29 PM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

What you need to do is screw the box down. Cant have box moving around like that, not safe, and is a deadly weapon, can be like a missle in an accident.

Now that I just mentioned all this, is your subs in a box or in the sparetire well? I only meant the rubber would kill the bass if you have the subs in the sparetire well.

Dixit
try using strong velcro and attach the box to the trunk carpet. my box hasnt moved yet and by not screwing it down you have much easier access to the spare tire.
Old 01-28-2003, 03:26 AM

I just did this mod. Went to Lowes and picked up some heavy duty velco and atttached the hard hooked end to the box and it sticks to the factory carpet like glue. I think im going to get the actual trunk carpet that says Maxima on it for looks...the one in there now is kinda cheap looking and it should hold the sub even more securely.
Old 01-28-2003, 06:24 AM

Just some input, Peal & Seal does the same job Dynomat does. I paid about $35 to do my trunk and I thought that was a lot!

To anser one of the questions in the thread about reusing the dynomat .... no. If it is put on properly (with a heat gun) there is no way in hell to take it off and reuse it. Actually, I don't know if it can even be taken off!

As far as the trunk lid cover, I think you may have gone a little over the boarder of where the carpet covers...doh!

Good job though, how long did it take you? My Peal & Seal mission was about 6 hours...it was fun though and made a HUGE difference.
Old 01-28-2003, 06:45 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally posted by spta97
Just some input, Peal & Seal does the same job Dynomat does. I paid about $35 to do my trunk and I thought that was a lot!

To anser one of the questions in the thread about reusing the dynomat .... no. If it is put on properly (with a heat gun) there is no way in hell to take it off and reuse it. Actually, I don't know if it can even be taken off!

As far as the trunk lid cover, I think you may have gone a little over the boarder of where the carpet covers...doh!

Good job though, how long did it take you? My Peal & Seal mission was about 6 hours...it was fun though and made a HUGE difference.
Hmm...what is peel & seal, never heard of it? Forgive my ignorance...
Old 01-28-2003, 06:54 AM

Where did you buy PEAL & SEAL?
Old 01-28-2003, 07:57 AM

Originally posted by foodmanry

Hmm...what is peel & seal, never heard of it? Forgive my ignorance...
Peal & Seal is a roofing material (high-temp mastic) with an aluminum backing just like Dynomat Extreme. It only comes in 6 inch wide rolls (by 20 feet I think) but it actually makes things easier having it that narrow. The only thing different is that it doesn't say "Dynomat" on it (although if the install is done correct you should not see it at all anyway )

I picked mine up at Lowes Home Improvement Centers. Other people have found it at Home Depot, but they did not carry it around me. It's about 2 times the width of a roll of toilet paper in with a blue and white label. $13 per roll I think and it took me about 2 1/2 rolls for my trunk.
Old 01-28-2003, 08:33 AM

nice job - it was well worth the time and money
Old 01-28-2003, 08:45 AM

I'm gonna go to Lowes now and see if they have that Peel & Seal stuff. Thanks for the suggestion. Dynamat is SO expensive. Such a huge a$$ markup.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:35 AM

Originally posted by MrCollegeGuy
I'm gonna go to Lowes now and see if they have that Peel & Seal stuff. Thanks for the suggestion. Dynamat is SO expensive. Such a huge a$$ markup.
Just went to Lowes on my lunch break. I bought 3 rolls of Peel and Seal for $40 and change. This stuff looks perfect. It's thinner than I thought it would be, but I have never seen dynamat in person, either. I was reading through the materials in it...Has many layers, asphalt being one. I'm sure this stuff is going to work SO well. If this really does work, I can't BELIEVE so many people pay so much for Dynamat. =)
Old 01-28-2003, 09:56 AM

Do you have any pics of the job you did...i would like to check it out.
Old 01-28-2003, 01:22 PM

Just went to Lowes on my lunch break. I bought 3 rolls of Peel and Seal for $40 and change. This stuff looks perfect. It's thinner than I thought it would be, but I have never seen dynamat in person, either. I was reading through the materials in it...Has many layers, asphalt being one. I'm sure this stuff is going to work SO well. If this really does work, I can't BELIEVE so many people pay so much for Dynamat. =)
Yea, it worked out great for me and my friend with an Accord. Couple things to note (that I realized on my install after the Accord):

1) Take out all trunk liners and use a magic marker to note where the "clips" go in. This way you can put the stuff down without worrying about covering a hole you need.

2) Vacuum trunk, then clean with rubbing alcohol ($0.40) and then with a damp cloth.

3) Use a heat gun to warm up (and dry) the sheet metal and put down the peal & seal. Then when it is in place heat up the back of the stuff until it is almost melted and push with your hands (WEARING GLOVES) into all the nooks and crannies.

4) Enjoy your tight bass!

I would not use it on the rear deck, but rather use egg crates (matress foam - KMart $9) on that. The smaller the space the harder it is to work with.

The we didn't use the heat gun on the Accord, but I got a much better grip with it. If you do use it, wear thick gloves (like ones for yard working) because you will burn your hands once the mastic melts.

Let us know how it worked out!
Old 01-28-2003, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by slickrick

try using strong velcro and attach the box to the trunk carpet. my box hasnt moved yet and by not screwing it down you have much easier access to the spare tire.
What did you do to keep the trunk carpet from moving?

No, I am really serious.

B
Old 01-28-2003, 06:31 PM

People you pay for what you get $35 vs $350 there has got to be a diffrence dont you think??? From what I hear that stuff smells like crap.
Old 01-28-2003, 06:33 PM

Originally posted by BJGemini

What did you do to keep the trunk carpet from moving?

No, I am really serious.

B
you just attach the 1 side of the velcro to the underside of the box, and it sticks to the carpet. it never has moved once.
Old 01-28-2003, 08:11 PM

The carpet is a flimzy peice of paper, how can you stick anything onto it, yet a sub box. It will still be moving around, there has got to be a better way then screwing it into the trunk.
Old 01-28-2003, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by slickrick

you just attach the 1 side of the velcro to the underside of the box, and it sticks to the carpet. it never has moved once.
I used industrial strength velcro, and my box moves less now that its semi-wedged vs when I used the velcro.

B
Old 01-28-2003, 08:49 PM

Yea, it worked out great for me and my friend with an Accord. Couple things to note (that I realized on my install after the Accord):

1) Take out all trunk liners and use a magic marker to note where the "clips" go in. This way you can put the stuff down without worrying about covering a hole you need.

2) Vacuum trunk, then clean with rubbing alcohol ($0.40) and then with a damp cloth.

3) Use a heat gun to warm up (and dry) the sheet metal and put down the peal & seal. Then when it is in place heat up the back of the stuff until it is almost melted and push with your hands (WEARING GLOVES) into all the nooks and crannies.

4) Enjoy your tight bass!

I would not use it on the rear deck, but rather use egg crates (matress foam - KMart $9) on that. The smaller the space the harder it is to work with.

The we didn't use the heat gun on the Accord, but I got a much better grip with it. If you do use it, wear thick gloves (like ones for yard working) because you will burn your hands once the mastic melts.

Let us know how it worked out!
Do you absolutely HAVE to use a heat gun? I was hoping to just go out there and stick the stuff on.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:32 PM

Originally posted by BJGemini

I used industrial strength velcro, and my box moves less now that its semi-wedged vs when I used the velcro.

B
i have a dual 10" hatchback box in my 2k2. i have it partially in the area where the trunk gets narrower like right behind where the seats fold down. it hasnt moved once. my carpet is 1 big piece so i dunno how it would ever move.
Old 01-30-2003, 06:47 PM

Ok any other suggestions other then velcro???
Old 01-30-2003, 09:45 PM

Where'd you get this peal and seal stuff?

Also, doesnt all maxima's have trunk lid carpet? All maxima's ive seen in canada has them.
Old 01-31-2003, 12:44 AM

Not here, im in cali.
Old 01-31-2003, 03:58 AM

Here in the US the trunk lid carpet on 2000-2001 Maximas only comes with the Meridian package. Not until 2002 did they make this part a standard equipment item.
Old 01-31-2003, 04:38 AM

Originally posted by Nathan

Where'd you get this peal and seal stuff?

Also, doesnt all maxima's have trunk lid carpet? All maxima's ive seen in canada has them.
You can get Peel and Seal in Lowes. Roofing dept. My 2K2 came with trunk carpet.
Old 01-31-2003, 09:37 AM

Do you absolutely HAVE to use a heat gun? I was hoping to just go out there and stick the stuff on.
No, we did my friend's Accord without one but when I did mine it was much easier to conform to the contours of the car and it almost liquified the stuff when it was really hot and then solidified when it cooled down a few seconds later. You can't get that kind of adhesion by hand!

Another note, this stuff is supposed to be put on when it is 50 degrees or higher (or 70? I forget, check the package). In a worse case scenario if it does fall because it isn't stuck well enough it will be covered by the carpet holding it in place. On the floor it's not really an issue.

If you do have access to a power outlet, get a heat gun from Home Depot and return it when you're done
Old 01-31-2003, 10:56 AM

I'm thinking that Peel & Seal stuff would work great on the inside of the doors & around the footwells.
Has anyone used it on the back of the wheel liners to reduce road noise?
Old 02-01-2003, 06:14 PM

I guess use any means of stopping rattels, Dynamat or what be it as long as it works.
Old 02-03-2003, 01:52 AM

with my 3rd gen I decided one day to take left over carpet from my dads bathroom (he just got the closet recarpeted/expanded.

it was this really nice feeling white colored stuff, and anyone that knows house carpet knows it nothing like the stuff we have in the back of our cars.

anyway, I cut it to shape, and laid it in the trunk, not only was it a wow factor, the subs didnt move at all.

still, everyone loved the look of it, and since i had infinity reference subs, it matched

btw, peel and seal is awesome.

MrGone
Old 02-04-2003, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by MrGone
with my 3rd gen I decided one day to take left over carpet from my dads bathroom (he just got the closet recarpeted/expanded.

it was this really nice feeling white colored stuff, and anyone that knows house carpet knows it nothing like the stuff we have in the back of our cars.

anyway, I cut it to shape, and laid it in the trunk, not only was it a wow factor, the subs didnt move at all.

still, everyone loved the look of it, and since i had infinity reference subs, it matched

btw, peel and seal is awesome.

MrGone