5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

BMW forum claiming superiority over Nissan

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2003, 08:10 PM
vqman

Originally posted by Linh
I venture this is the case for most young professionals not strapped with family and mortgage payments yet.

no mortgage, and you go on vacation 2-3 times a year? and have a Maxima?

priorities man!

a house will always go up in value, and your mortgage won't go up every couple years like Rent does.

Then, after 15-30 years you won't have anymore payments to make.

in short. I could go on and on. But I wish my Maxima bretheren the best, and in my opinion, buying a house (if they have the means) should be a top priority.

No money for a down payment? go FHA.

-vq

Old 01-26-2003, 09:07 PM

This has to be one of the most interesting threads that I've come upon in a long time, I mean a long time. Hadn't met so many people with their heads up their asses as those folks on the bimmer forums are talking about. Such a sad shame. Now I'm all for enjoying life and $$$ earned, I mean earned, not handed down. If you can afford to enjoy a BMW or an MB for thousands of $$$ more, more power to you. Just don't be and a#@hole and pretend that my car is rice, do those morons even know what rice is? I think not. The main reason that I bought my Max is, it was the best bang for the $$$. It gave me the best value for the $$$ that I could afford to pay for a car. I've dealt with many a service problems, but that is a different story for a different day. I always wanted a 3 series BMW, I still love them. I've had numerous girlfriends that have owned and driven 3 and 5 series, they're all great cars. They're durable, well made, have strong engines, and compared to lots of other cars on the market, are a significantly better value for the $$$. The problem is when they start to age and dealer service stops happen more often. Even a well kept BMW on average racks up a $1,200 to $1,500 service call. You simply CAN NOT compare a Max to a three series, especially a 330CI, I'm sorry that is an entirely moronic comparison. One is a coupe, one is a lareg family sedan. One is roughly $27K fully loaded minus Navi, the other is $41K. When I bought my car, I compared the Max to buying another V6 Accord, the Max was a winner hands down. Two cars that are priced in the mid $20's. I'm currently considering a G35 Coupe, way much more than my Max, way more expensive. That car is a fairer comparison to a 330CI than a Max. The level of service of a and attention to detail at Infiniti dealerships is second to none. Just a quick note, five years ago, I was looking at a used E36 and the salesman found what I wanted within a couple of weeks. I came in, drove the car, and was happy that, asides from the autotragic tranny, he found what I wanted. I asked about the price, he quoted me about three thousand above current market value and I pointed that out. I asked how negotialble the price was and his answer was, "I have quite a bit of other parties interested in this particular car, the reason that I called is because that you were ready to make the deal, to which I replied, I am, he then went on to say, the price is set b demand, BMW is a very exclusive car to won and drive, one can either afford it or one can not". I might wait to find out about the next generation 3 series is like but, I'm sure that I'll be driving a Silver G35 with a black leather interior no later that Dec. 31. If you guys want to put up with snobs, you can more than do so. By the way, I was more than able to buy the E36, I wound up spending the $$$ that I had saved up for the down payment on Ferragamos, I bought nine pairs.
Old 01-26-2003, 10:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by LegalNinja
Make no mistake, even the "cheap" BMW 325 (A4 1.8t Quattro and G35 also) is vastly superior to the Maxima in terms of non-linear performance parameters and factory/dealer post-sale service commitment. When we were looking for a larger family car to replace my 2000 Civic LX, we set a price ceiling of $35k. The Maxima and other non-luxury family sedans (Accord, Camry, Impala) weren't even on the list initially. I started by cross-shopping the CTS, 325, A4, IS300, S60, and G35. I loved the driving dynamics of the A4, 325, and G35 but didn't want to buy the luxury brands because of the connotations of driving a luxury brand; especially considering my employer AND the fact that I'm also a part-time student in law school.

Compared to the people in my office, I have a household income that is more than $30k above the next highest household income and, as such, am looked upon with envy. Were I to have purchased one of my top 3, I would have had to endure the same kind of "snob" accusations from my coworkers that I've read on this thread.

In the last month or so, I've had to put my Max in for service three times for one problem (rear window TSB). Dropping it off has been a pain in my hindquarters due to scheduling/timing conflicts and the lack of loaner vehicle service. I would gladly put up with the silly name calling for the convenience of a loaner vehicle and longer warranty. I enjoy the power and the convenience features of my fully loaded 2k2 SE (Nav, Meridian, Bose, Sunroof, etc). However, in hindsight, I should have purchased what I initially wanted rather than thinking about the image my purchase would convey.
"Pahh-don me... would you happen to have any Grey Poupon?"

Non-linear performance parameters??? Driving dynamics??? Man... if you talk like you type, I'll bet you're just a RIOT at parties! Loosen up dude. J/K!

Seriously though... why would you worry about what others think about your "image"? If you aren't a d!ck, then nobody's going to think you are just because of your car. Then again, if you are a d!ck, I guess even a Hyundai Sonata isn't going to help you make many friends.

When my wife graduates, my "household income" is also going to be considerably higher than my coworkers, but you know what, they don't "envy" me, they're happy for me.

Sounds like you need to work on your own "image".
Old 01-27-2003, 03:40 AM

Originally posted by PIONEER

Wake up, Infiniti does the same thing. What's your point???
If you missed it..I can't help you
Old 01-27-2003, 05:31 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by wild *****

I think he means that Infiniti (Nissan), gives good loaners and offer great service to their customers, just like BMW. Only, less trips to their service department. When i was in the market for my new car, i was seriously considering the G35. I didn't buy one because they don't have the sedan with manual transmission. I'm not married, or have family to haul around, so i could do with a coupe, but i decided to get a car for the long run. I bought the max right when the G coupe came out. Anyway, the service that Infiniti was showing was surprising. I'm not sure if all Infinit dealers do this, but the Infiniti dealer over here in Raleigh doesn't let anyone drive their cars like crazy on test drives. I went to drive the G35 and he let me without problem, but as soon as we got in, he said that the car isn't broken in yet and they don't allow anything out of the norm on their new vehicles. I was shocked. Everytime you take your car in for service, even an oil change, you will be given a loaner vehicle. All loaners are current models, including the Q45. Also, no matter how small the service done to your car, when you come back to pick it up, the car will be washed and cleaned.

Infiniti, Lexus, Acura, are just a good example of how WE, Americans, are all about the name that's on our product. It's the only country in the world, correct me if i'm wrong, where Nissan and Toyota has a brand for their luxury cars. We prefer to have the name to differentiate ourselves. If it wasn't for that, we couldn't have gotten the same cars under their original names (Toyota, Nissan, Honda) at better prices than we are getting them for, and at the same level of quality. We'd be saving money on luxury taxes, and other fees. Thoughts?
Old 01-27-2003, 06:01 AM

Originally posted by wild *****

you'r the confused fella here..

My BMW Experience. I drive to the Mercades Benz dealership on saturday afternoon to look at the E55-AMG. Sales people were walking around, asked me if I needed anything to let them know. I just looked at the car, Got in my Max and ready to leave.

Right next door is the BMW dealership. So I said what the heck, let me take a look at the 540i. So I parked my car, and started walking the lot. Not 1 sales person came out, they all stood there inside the showroom watching. I didn't mind b/c I was there to look at the car not purchase. After a few minutes a sales person came out. His First comment. YOU GONNA TRADE "THAT" THING IN!! I told him, Comments like that are exactly why there are more customers at the Benz dealership next door then there are at his dealership, While pointing at the Benz Dealership.

I can afford a BMW or a Benz, but I'm also married and would like to have some kids. I've always been a Maxima guy, this is my 4th one. Why knock on a good thing. I havn't had any mechanical problems with any of my cars. I do all my own work so I hardly ever go to the dealership. The time I did go to the dealership, the Service manager was more then happy to do business with me.
Old 01-27-2003, 06:12 AM

Re: Re: BMW forum claiming superiority over Nissan

Originally posted by max988

It is interesting why someone have an extra $10,000+ US to spend on a new $40,000 vehicle would even consider a Maxima that is $10,000 less.
What's wrong with it? I was considering several cars, including Maxima, CL-S, G35 sedan and 330Ci. Maxima was the first one to go, since I didn't want to buy another 4 door nissan. Acura Cl-S was second due to tranny problems. G35 sedan is "strange looking" and coupe wasn't available in May of last year, otherwise I would've strongly considered it.
Old 01-27-2003, 06:12 AM

The Maxima WAS said in magazines (before the loss of IRL) a poor man's 5-series. Even to a lesser extent the 95-99 cars. And Nissan used to market it against the 3 series in some commercials. Note, more expensive cars are usually better cars.

And BMW service ain't all that. SO many people at our forum traded in their Bimmers for a Lexus cause they loved the car but service and maintenace were horrendous.

Every car forum has idiots and are blinded by what they own. That BMW thread was nothing new.
Old 01-27-2003, 06:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

It's the only country in the world, correct me if i'm wrong, where Nissan and Toyota has a brand for their luxury cars.
Well, I will correct you - you asked for it You surely meant Nissan and Honda. Toyota's Lexus division is available pretty much everywhere in the world.
Old 01-27-2003, 06:31 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Note, more expensive cars are usually better cars.
It all depends on what features and qualities you value in a car.
Old 01-27-2003, 07:01 AM

Originally posted by Lumbee799

If you want to hang with a M5...

FSTB, RSB, SFC, RSTB, Springs, Ypipe, Bpipe, Supercharger/Turbo, 18" Volks or SSR's, and the Big Brake Kit should get you close. And after adding all that you will still be well under the cost of a new M5.
Hell, with all that you'll still be under the cost of an M3.
Old 01-27-2003, 07:06 AM

Originally posted by sgrd0q

Well, I will correct you - you asked for it You surely meant Nissan and Honda. Toyota's Lexus division is available pretty much everywhere in the world.
Thanx for the info. I didn't know that. I thought all lexus models were offered under the toyota name elsewhere. i.e. Toyota Altezza. Good to know though.
Old 01-27-2003, 07:07 AM

a bmw 3 series maybe good for handling. but when it comes to whoever comes first in an emerged lane, the maxima will be there. heres an example. some dude that had a bmw 3 series (i think 328ci) was behind me on a left turn lane. and he tried to pass me up after we turned. i heard his engine roar, so i punched it too. my gf was in the car, and that time i only had an intake. and we were both going the same speed. and i beat him to the merged lane first.

and this guy zerofighter. he was already considering the bmw for the name. why would he post it up on a bmw forum and not here?
Old 01-27-2003, 08:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by sorcereur

Thanx for the info. I didn't know that. I thought all lexus models were offered under the toyota name elsewhere. i.e. Toyota Altezza. Good to know though.
Actually, I think the Lexus models are offered under Toyota in Japan. In most other places, including Europe, they offer Lexus, e.g. -

http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/world_lexus.html
Old 01-27-2003, 09:41 AM

Originally posted by SG01MaxSE

"Pahh-don me... would you happen to have any Grey Poupon?"

Non-linear performance parameters??? Driving dynamics??? Man... if you talk like you type, I'll bet you're just a RIOT at parties! Loosen up dude. J/K!

Seriously though... why would you worry about what others think about your "image"? If you aren't a d!ck, then nobody's going to think you are just because of your car. Then again, if you are a d!ck, I guess even a Hyundai Sonata isn't going to help you make many friends.

When my wife graduates, my "household income" is also going to be considerably higher than my coworkers, but you know what, they don't "envy" me, they're happy for me.

Sounds like you need to work on your own "image".
No, I don't talk like that all of the time. Because I'm studying law, my writing and speech have to be very precise and I sometimes slip into legal mode when having normal conversations.

Anyway, I work for the government. Aside from my boss (who preveiously worked in the private sector), working for the government is the only post-college job my coworkers have ever had or wanted. The envy they have is not personally directed at me because I'm the biggest supporter of my coworkers; I push management for more freedoms, I argue their ideas for them because they're afraid to do it, I find private sector jobs and/or grad school programs for them so they can expand their options. In short, my coworkers don't think I'm a d!ck. They just have personal problems with the idea of anyone actually wanting more than they have.
Old 01-27-2003, 10:02 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sorcereur
[B]

I think he means that Infiniti (Nissan), gives good loaners and offer great service to their customers, just like BMW. Only, less trips to their service department.

I know that..but I thought we were talking about Nissan and BMW..infinity Customer service is fantastic
Old 01-27-2003, 10:11 AM
I'm needing a caw

Who cares. They very fact that they are discussing the subject means they are insecure about their position. I mean we don't have conversations about how our cars are soooo much better than Yugos right? If they feel the need to justify their purchase by flaming other cars then so be it.

I guess since the G35 beat the 330 in the Motor Trend(?) test, they have to bash the FWD Maxima
Old 01-27-2003, 10:19 AM
OG and counting...

Well geez, I have driven both BMWs and Maximas. Which one do you think I decided to get?

The main thing that prompted me not to get a Beemer was that the maintenance costs of the Beemer would have killed me financially.
Yes, the Max has a lot of quirks. But hey, what car doesn't?? But the reason I bought the Max is the fact that it is a very good bang for the buck car.
Old 01-27-2003, 10:36 AM

I've got SOOO much money.....

I wonder about these posts in the BMW forum. I've seen people drive nice BMW 3 series right into their apartment parking lot...which to me is rediculous. I decided a long time ago that I would never get a luxury car until I had a house. Now I'm not saying that people should do what I did, but to see someone rolling in a nice BMW into a ghetto area of the Bronx...come on! In my experiance, people with REAL money don't go on the internet and brag about it.

I could afford a REALLY nice EXPENSIVE car if I didn't have mortage payments to worry about. As it is, I could afford to get a BMW but I really don't want to spend that much on a car. I agree that the M series has out of this world performance, but those are MUCH more than a Maxima. The Maxima truly is the best bang for the buck.

I agree that the BMWs are very nice looking and the status they command (or pre-conceived notions) are much more than the Maxima. I guess I would like the status of a BMW but when I compared getting a $35,000 330Ci that was smaller and slower than the Maxima it was no contest. And, I saved a few bucks ($10,000) to boot!

Now on the other side, do you all remember the post about the new Dodge Neon SRT-4? Remember how many people here said "Who cares how fast it is?" It's a POS Dodge, I would never drive that over my Max!" Oh, how soon we forget. Overall, I think that the posts on the BMW board were made from very snobbish type people. I mean since when does a $40,000 car say anything about how much you make? $90,000 yea, but $40,000? When I graduated college I could probably squeak the payments out on that...and still live at home
Old 01-27-2003, 10:59 AM

...Not to beat a dead horse, but anyone who feels insulted by the comments in the BMW forum should realize something:

The fact that they are even comparing Max to a BMW is points for our argument. You don't spend that much time and energy comparing two cars if there is truly 'no comparison'...

Off topic example... I grad. from Texas A&M (Aggies) and our big rival is the University of Texas (Longhorns) and some snotty 'Horns fans will say they don't even consider A&M a rival, like that's an insult to the Aggie fans... And still, every year when we play each other in football the 'Horns have special events and motivation for the A&M game.

Lesson learned? If they truly don't consider you a legit threat or rival they wouldn't even waste time talking about it!!!! Do you see Lamborghini / Aston Martin drivers justifying why their cars are better than Nissan??? NO.
Old 01-27-2003, 11:52 AM

At the time i bought my Altima, I could have had a loaded Max for the same price with a lower APR. I could afford a BMW...But I buy what I like. If I were smart..I would have bought the Maxima..it is a much better bang for the buck right now!

Had the G35 Sedan been out when I got my Altima..I would have bought that...As some one mentioned earlier..maint costs of a BMW are rediculous..and their reliability is questionable. I do not think they are worth the extra premium...But, if it is what you want..I say go for it!
Old 01-27-2003, 12:36 PM

i just the bmw post........hahahah
all i have to say is i love my 2003 SE 6 speed, it's got good speed, with a little help of the suspension my car handels good, plus 18 x 8.5 superlaggera oz's wraped in mich. pilot sport does it's job.....
and personally, i have taken down the 330ci triptronics many of times, since my next door neightbor just bought one.
so........ F&$# BMW!! with the help of my 70 spoonfulls of my 10 pound "secret sauce" maybe the quater with the M3 won't be that much of a embarseement afterall.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:56 PM

Lexus is sold in the U.S, U.K and Europe. It is Toyota in Japan. It's more than the name. It's dealer service. Besides, a car built to be a 35-70k car or truck is built to be a 35-70k car or truck no matter the brand.
Old 01-27-2003, 02:11 PM

Re: BMW forum claiming superiority over Nissan

Originally posted by sorcereur
I think this is a very interesting discussion i thought i'd bring to the attention of the forum. http://www.bmwboard.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2135
No need to make fools out of ourselves, but i thought you mind like this.

LOL, why are you even reading a BMW forum in the first place?? 2nd thoughts on your car??
Old 01-27-2003, 02:43 PM

Re: Re: BMW forum claiming superiority over Nissan

Originally posted by drudawg888

LOL, why are you even reading a BMW forum in the first place?? 2nd thoughts on your car??
No 2nd thoughts here. Never. Just always liked the car, and i was curious to know more about the redisgned 330ci, and if any insights on the e56. Then i ran into this.
Wanna know what's funny, if i never mentionned anything, they would've kept going on as if Nissan is inferior. I got a good article about Nissan's achievement. http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/fe...02scc_skyline/
To whoever has doubts, this should help a little.
Old 01-27-2003, 02:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Enough already.
Old 01-27-2003, 05:28 PM

Re: I've got SOOO much money.....

Originally posted by spta97
I wonder about these posts in the BMW forum. I've seen people drive nice BMW 3 series right into their apartment parking lot...which to me is rediculous. I decided a long time ago that I would never get a luxury car until I had a house.
Now I feel offended. I live in a condo building with 3 levels of underground parking. Each spot is reserved. So, cars parked in the spots adjacent to mine (3 in front, 2 on the sides, 3 behind):
MB 500 convertible, Saab 900, Jag XJ, Jetta, Altima, Saab 9-5 Wag, Cadillac Escalada...

What exactly was your point?