5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

KBD CF Hood is finally here!! Pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 04:24 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

KBD CF Hood is finally here!! Pics inside

after two long month of proto-typing, the 1st hood is finally done.
i've put the hood on my car this morning and so far so good.
here's some pictures of the hood. i'll be taking more pictures tomorrow after a car wash.

http://images.cardomain.com/installs...7_136_full.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/installs...7_135_full.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/installs...7_134_full.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/installs...7_133_full.jpg

the hood will be going into production next week once the shop takes delivery of the hood latches.

the first 10 hoods will be $390 plus shipping.
after that, it'll be $420 plus shipping.
the shipping will run around $150.

i already have list of people who signed up for the hood from the very first post i made.

here's the list i have so far.

me
gunmax
lcf
deac
BluByu2k2
MyownNismo
Edward Lee

let me know if i've forgotten anyone.

tip for local people(La Habra, Fullerton, El Monte etc)..if you come to the shop(in Brea) and pick up your hood, you can save alot. just take off your stock hood and drive to the shop.
Old 01-23-2003, 04:27 PM

BEAUTIFUL Hoon...love it...once i get the funds imma def get 1 from you...but hey, what happend to the 19"s?
holla
Old 01-23-2003, 04:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

4th gen

4th gen

4th gen
Old 01-23-2003, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by WizzaMax
4th gen

4th gen

4th gen
The one thing we 5th genners are privied to that the 4ths arent.
Old 01-23-2003, 05:13 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Old 01-23-2003, 06:19 PM

Originally posted by WizzaMax
4th gen

4th gen

4th gen
haha....once i get some good sale and response from this hood, i'm sure the shop will decide to make a 4th gen hood.
Old 01-23-2003, 06:30 PM
Blu
the tits

I don't think I'm going to make this deal. If I was closer I might pick up but 150 shipping is to much for me right now. Matt
Old 01-23-2003, 06:56 PM

Looks nice. BTW I know there is a shipping service out there that ships a flat rate of $95ish. I know max8mycash was gonna use it in his attempted CF GD.
Old 01-23-2003, 07:37 PM

Let me say "beautiful" ...
Very unfortunate I can't have one right now. I really need my own car!
Old 01-23-2003, 07:43 PM

HOT, HOT, HOT!!!

Questions:

#1 Are those prices shipped, or just for the hood?

#2 No need for hood pins?

#3 Will you buy me one?!?!?!?!
Old 01-23-2003, 08:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by MaxedOut2g
but hey, what happend to the 19"s?
you dont like those 18"s hehe

Hoon dude where do I sign up! if they will do vents I'll use this molder!!!
Old 01-23-2003, 09:22 PM
lcf

Originally posted by emax95
Looks nice. BTW I know there is a shipping service out there that ships a flat rate of $95ish. I know max8mycash was gonna use it in his attempted CF GD.
Hm. Cheaper shipping would be nice.
Old 01-23-2003, 09:44 PM

Looks good from far ... how good up close?

I don't even want to imagine what shipping to Toronto would be!
Old 01-23-2003, 09:56 PM

wow that looks real good! Wish i had some money for it...

-Steve
Old 01-23-2003, 10:05 PM

I want one....
Old 01-23-2003, 10:07 PM

Nice hood bro.
Old 01-23-2003, 10:20 PM

Looks from the pics as there is a gap around the head light area. Or is that just the pic.
Old 01-24-2003, 12:20 AM

Originally posted by max'n out
Looks from the pics as there is a gap around the head light area. Or is that just the pic.
there's a slight gap above the head lights and the front grill because right now i'm missing the rubber piece that sits on top of them.

i'm working on cutting shipping prices as we speak. KBD can't really offer same shipping prices companies like VIS can. KBD is a lot smaller company that produces higher quality projects. but, i'll give it a try.
Old 01-24-2003, 12:53 AM

Originally posted by irvine78

there's a slight gap above the tail lights and the front grill because right now i'm missing the rubber piece that sits on top of them.

i'm working on cutting shipping prices as we speak. KBD can't really offer same shipping prices companies like VIS can. KBD is a lot smaller company that produces higher quality projects. but, i'll give it a try.
taillights?! headlights right? =P or did you make a carbonfiber trunklid too! Mr. moneybags.
Old 01-24-2003, 05:36 AM

Is it just me....

...or am I the only one who thinks that carbon fiber hoods are ugly and completely mismatched with the paint job of a car? I understand the benefits of strength and light weight of carbon fiber, but if only the hood is done it looks really ugly. Unless you were to paint this the color of the car (kinda takes away from the carbon fiber thing though) it just sticks out WAY to much for me. It looks as bad as when people get a body kit and don't paint it for a year or so (or ever).

Don't get me wrong, the hood looks like a good quality carbon fiber hood but unless the whole car is carbon fiber it doesn't seem to fit.

Am I missing something here?
Old 01-24-2003, 06:24 AM

Re: Is it just me....

Originally posted by spta97
...or am I the only one who thinks that carbon fiber hoods are ugly and completely mismatched with the paint job of a car? I understand the benefits of strength and light weight of carbon fiber, but if only the hood is done it looks really ugly. Unless you were to paint this the color of the car (kinda takes away from the carbon fiber thing though) it just sticks out WAY to much for me. It looks as bad as when people get a body kit and don't paint it for a year or so (or ever).

Don't get me wrong, the hood looks like a good quality carbon fiber hood but unless the whole car is carbon fiber it doesn't seem to fit.

Am I missing something here?
Yeah... it's just you.

I was flipping through the new "NOPI Magazine" (you guys seen that one yet???), and there is a car in there with EVERYTHING made of carbon. Hell, he even used kevlar to weave the seatcovers! Looks like $hit, IMO. Just a taste of carbon is sweet... overkill is not.
Old 01-24-2003, 06:38 AM

I WANT ONE TOO
Old 01-24-2003, 07:10 AM

I'm not to into the look either. But I see one benefit to being able to make these. If they could make one with a dimple to make room for oh say a turbo, a SC or Ethan's Z manifold swap. Then I could see getting one.
Old 01-24-2003, 07:11 AM

The fitting looks a lot better then the VIS.. On mines there a lil more of a gap in the front. Are your sides even as well?
Old 01-24-2003, 07:30 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by PCGuRu2K
The fitting looks a lot better then the VIS.. On mines there a lil more of a gap in the front. Are your sides even as well?
How does a CF hood hold up to the "chipping"? That would be the WHOLE benefit for me. Getting rid of the chipping crappo paint hood. But needing hood pins kinda scares me.
Old 01-24-2003, 08:25 AM

Other than looks, what are the benefits of these hoods. Please be specific.
Old 01-24-2003, 08:27 AM

finally...

there's a slight gap above the tail lights and the front grill because right now i'm missing the rubber piece that sits on top of them.

Looks nice Hoon,

I've waited to see what your hood was going to look like as opposed to just going ahead and getting a VIS one. The pics look good but what do you think overall man? You're the only one thats gotten a close up look? KBD you say has better quality than VIS so... what your overall review of your hood and tell us again what make it better!!! Just trying to be an educated shopper... Thanx again Hoon for your efforts.

Deac
Old 01-24-2003, 09:22 AM

I am curious about of the benefit of a CF hood, also. I understand that it would be lighter/stronger. How much lighter? With the frame it looks like the weight savings would only be in the sheet metal vs the CF (don't know if this would be significant). I think the hood looks good and appears to be of good quality/fit, but would there be any real benefit, other than being able to say 'I've got a CF hood'? Just curious ... Could influence decision.
Gail
Old 01-24-2003, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by PCGuRu2K
there's a slight gap above the front grill..this can be fixed by adjusting your latch. loosen the 3 bolts that are holding the latch and move it around to make it close little bit tighter..mine needs slight adjustment as well...but it's only about like 2-3mm off. i'm just ****.
the sides are completely flush. i was really surprised and happy about that. no gaps just straight even lines all the way from the front of the car to the windshield.

am curious about of the benefit of a CF hood, also. I understand that it would be lighter/stronger. How much lighter? With the frame it looks like the weight savings would only be in the sheet metal vs the CF (don't know if this would be significant). I think the hood looks good and appears to be of good quality/fit, but would there be any real benefit, other than being able to say 'I've got a CF hood'? Just curious ... Could influence decision.
other than the weight savings(about 10-15lbs) and the cosmetic looks of the hood..well..what more do you want?

I've waited to see what your hood was going to look like as opposed to just going ahead and getting a VIS one. The pics look good but what do you think overall man? You're the only one thats gotten a close up look? KBD you say has better quality than VIS so... what your overall review of your hood and tell us again what make it better!!! Just trying to be an educated shopper... Thanx again Hoon for your efforts.
overall, i'm very happy with the hood. i'd say it turned out better than i expected. everyone who saw the hood was surprised at the quality of the hood. i'm going to take more pictures of the hood soon. only downside about the KBD hood will be the cost as shipping charges are(i must admit) heafty.
Old 01-24-2003, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by Colonel

How does a CF hood hold up to the "chipping"? That would be the WHOLE benefit for me. Getting rid of the chipping crappo paint hood. But needing hood pins kinda scares me.
the hood is completely covered with 'industrial' strength(not automotive strength) epoxy. although it'll provide plenty of protection against fading and chipping, nothing's fall proof. afterall, CF stands for carbon fiber, not Chipping Free
Old 01-24-2003, 12:33 PM

the sides are completely flush. i was really surprised and happy about that. no gaps just straight even lines all the way from the front of the car to the windshield.
Does this necessarily mean that every single hood they produce will have sides that are completely flush?
Old 01-24-2003, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by ohboiya

Does this necessarily mean that every single hood they produce will have sides that are completely flush?
no. there's no gaurantee. but, as long as your car wasn't involved in a frontal collision or has frame damage, i don't see why not.

my car was never been in an accident, so i know the hood and the fenders lined up straight.
Old 01-24-2003, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by maximaman777
I'm not to into the look either. But I see one benefit to being able to make these. If they could make one with a dimple to make room for oh say a turbo, a SC or Ethan's Z manifold swap. Then I could see getting one.
the shop will not produce any CF hoods with dimples or scoops. they're looking for much broader appeal and market.

besides..u don't need a dimpled hood for a turbo anywayz.
Old 01-24-2003, 12:57 PM

If the shipping makes it below $100 bucks I am for sure in for the hood. It looks really nice.
Old 01-24-2003, 01:02 PM

no. there's no gaurantee. but, as long as your car wasn't involved in a frontal collision or has frame damage, i don't see why not.

my car was never been in an accident, so i know the hood and the fenders lined up straight.
Hmm ... that doesn't make sense .. well not entirely.

Are you saying that if I've been in an accident I may have frame damage? And the only way my hood will line up flush will be if the hood is damaged in such a way that the damaged hood lines up with the damaged frame?
Old 01-24-2003, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by ohboiya

Hmm ... that doesn't make sense .. well not entirely.

Are you saying that if I've been in an accident I may have frame damage? And the only way my hood will line up flush will be if the hood is damaged in such a way that the damaged hood lines up with the damaged frame?
no. what i'm saying is that since my hood was never damaged, as long as you were not involved in an frontal accident, the hood should line up straight.

if you had frame damage or any fender damage, obviously the hood will line up as well as cars with no accidents.
Old 01-24-2003, 01:25 PM

OK

the shop will not produce any CF hoods with dimples or scoops. they're looking for much broader appeal and market.

besides..u don't need a dimpled hood for a turbo anywayz.
Hey Hoon,

Will KBD take care of making holes for the hood latches and wasker nozzels or would we have to do that on our own?

Deac
Old 01-24-2003, 03:32 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: OK

Originally posted by Deac

Will KBD take care of making holes for the hood latches and washer nozzels or would we have to do that on our own?
LED washer nozzles? Hoon needs those.
Old 01-24-2003, 03:47 PM
lcf

Re: Re: OK

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

LED washer nozzles? Hoon needs those.
Heh, should've waited on the CF hood???

How's the APC wing looking? Installed? Pics?
Old 01-24-2003, 05:36 PM

Re: Re: Re: OK

Originally posted by lcf
Heh, should've waited on the CF hood???

How's the APC wing looking? Installed? Pics?
Hey man I'm still thinking about putting that thing on maaaan!! Be careful there! Hell I bought the darn thing... what am I supposed to do w/it now?

Deac

Quick Reply: KBD CF Hood is finally here!! Pics inside