5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2k2 vs. BMW 530

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 11:50 AM

Originally posted by AndyXXL

Yes, it's limited to 128 mph. The only thing that removes the limiter is Dinan engine software, which I'm getting this summer
Aha...I'm sure we were doing more than though. Maybe the Canadian 330's are not limited or my speedo is wildly optimistic . Oh well, maybe the driver backed off to make me feel good, though he didn't even looked over as I passed...wonder why?

BTW, as far as looks go, the 330Ci is sweeeeeeet! And pretty quick for a 225bhp car!
Old 01-14-2003, 11:58 AM

Ounce of Trivia: If I'm not mistaken, the 330CI is in the same size class as the Miata and Beetle: Subcompact.

And though the 3-series sedan is upsized to compact, IMO I think its safe to say that a 6'3, 275lb person may find a tad more comfort in a 5G Maxima (aptly classified as Midsize) than a Bimmer 3-series.
Old 01-14-2003, 12:01 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by 95bluse

Aha...I'm sure we were doing more than though. Maybe the Canadian 330's are not limited or my speedo is wildly optimistic . Oh well, maybe the driver backed off to make me feel good, though he didn't even looked over as I passed...wonder why?
Maybe he was trying to concentrate on the road? lol
Old 01-14-2003, 03:32 PM

I'm a little confused. BMW and VW Passat are two different cars really. Why are you saying "I'm surprised to see that several of you place BMW so far above the Maxima in terms of build quality and dependability" when you only looked and compared Passat to a Maxima? I've driven a new Passat and was very disappointed. For that amount of money I would rather go with an Audi.
Nissans are great cars, I used to own 2 myself. Now, my mother is driving a brand new Altima 2.5SL and thinks it's a much better vehicle than her 98 Volvo S70.
To those who laugh at the "cramped" interior of a 3-series. I am 6'5" and feel much more comfortable in my 330ci than in any Altima or Maxima
My son is 6' 5"also, and he thinks his '96 Max has more front seat room and comfort than my '02. Is it possible the front seat area was made a little smaller for the 5th generation?
Old 01-14-2003, 11:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Are you suggesting that a 3 series is roomier than a Maxima? Not even a 5 series can match the interior room from a 4th gen, and the 5th and 6th gens are even bigger. Your 6'5" frame may feel comfortable in the 3, but rear seat leg room must have gone down to 0. Those back seats should count in terms of the roominess factor. I'm sure you'd crush the eggs in a grocery bag you put behind you. I've had the opportunity to compare my 4th gen to my mother's '97 E420. The 4th gen has more interior room, and that E-class Benz is bigger than a 5 or 3 series BMW. With my seat front rolled all the way back, I'm 6'0", I can still sit comfortably in the back seat of my 4th gen.

That being said, the BMWs can happily out-handle a Maxima with the RWD platform. FWD will always be more practical, especially in terms of interior space, compared to RWD.

DW

I'm a little confused. BMW and VW Passat are two different cars really. Why are you saying "I'm surprised to see that several of you place BMW so far above the Maxima in terms of build quality and dependability" when you only looked and compared Passat to a Maxima? I've driven a new Passat and was very disappointed. For that amount of money I would rather go with an Audi.
Nissans are great cars, I used to own 2 myself. Now, my mother is driving a brand new Altima 2.5SL and thinks it's a much better vehicle than her 98 Volvo S70.
To those who laugh at the "cramped" interior of a 3-series. I am 6'5" and feel much more comfortable in my 330ci than in any Altima or Maxima
Old 01-15-2003, 05:39 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

All I am saying is that my coupe has more leg room than a 97 Maxima. The driver's seat slides back more since there's no second pair of doors. For me that was the most important factor when buying a new car. I am not a family man, and I don't really care about the roominess factor. The only person who drives with me is my gf, so there's no need for the back seat. The only thing I put back there is my jacket. All grocery bags go in the trunk.

Originally posted by dwapenyi
Are you suggesting that a 3 series is roomier than a Maxima? Not even a 5 series can match the interior room from a 4th gen, and the 5th and 6th gens are even bigger. Your 6'5" frame may feel comfortable in the 3, but rear seat leg room must have gone down to 0. Those back seats should count in terms of the roominess factor. I'm sure you'd crush the eggs in a grocery bag you put behind you. I've had the opportunity to compare my 4th gen to my mother's '97 E420. The 4th gen has more interior room, and that E-class Benz is bigger than a 5 or 3 series BMW. With my seat front rolled all the way back, I'm 6'0", I can still sit comfortably in the back seat of my 4th gen.

That being said, the BMWs can happily out-handle a Maxima with the RWD platform. FWD will always be more practical, especially in terms of interior space, compared to RWD.

DW

Old 01-15-2003, 05:48 AM

Maybe he was trying to concentrate on the road? lol
Actually, no! He flipped his cell phone or pager or something from his visor & seemed engrossed in it

BTW my post said "...he didn't even looked over"...my English teacher would kill me for that faux pas
Old 01-15-2003, 03:04 PM

OK. Fair enough.

DW

All I am saying is that my coupe has more leg room than a 97 Maxima. The driver's seat slides back more since there's no second pair of doors. For me that was the most important factor when buying a new car. I am not a family man, and I don't really care about the roominess factor. The only person who drives with me is my gf, so there's no need for the back seat. The only thing I put back there is my jacket. All grocery bags go in the trunk.

Old 01-15-2003, 03:11 PM

OK. Fair enough.

DW

Old 01-15-2003, 03:32 PM

Originally posted by C430

My son is 6' 5"also, and he thinks his '96 Max has more front seat room and comfort than my '02. Is it possible the front seat area was made a little smaller for the 5th generation?
Ironically, this was one of the reasons why SteVTEC replaced his 6G Accord (totalled) with a 4G Maxima rather than the 5G Maxima; He indicated that the 5G wasn't as roomy as the 4G.