5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Did you guys notice compared to the 4th gen.. the 5th gen is smaller?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2002, 06:36 PM

Did you guys notice compared to the 4th gen.. the 5th gen is smaller?

i used to own a 95 max.. and that thing was HUGE inside.. i loved it.. since i am a big guy.. but i got the 2k3.. and that sucka is SMALL.. haha..the wheel like rests on my leg and everything.. i dunno i like the 2k3.. i wish the wheelw ould go up alittle or the seat be alittle lower...

yea i know.. why did i get the car.. blah blah bla.. well my parents got it for me.. and i didnt really have a choice.. so i got it.. i love it tho.. way smooth,.. and lots more power than my 95..

is there any way to make more room in the driver side?
Old 10-21-2002, 06:40 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Re: Did you guys notice compared to the 4th gen.. the 5th gen is smaller?

Originally posted by MaxedOut
i used to own a 95 max.. and that thing was HUGE inside.. i loved it.. since i am a big guy.. but i got the 2k3.. and that sucka is SMALL.. haha..the wheel like rests on my leg and everything.. i dunno i like the 2k3.. i wish the wheelw ould go up alittle or the seat be alittle lower...

yea i know.. why did i get the car.. blah blah bla.. well my parents got it for me.. and i didnt really have a choice.. so i got it.. i love it tho.. way smooth,.. and lots more power than my 95..

You have the same exact problem as I do with the 5th Gen's. And this why I got a 4th gen used instead of a new 02 6spd after my last car was totalled.

I just wouldn't feel safe driving that car with my leg bumping into the wheel and my hand all the time.
Old 10-21-2002, 06:58 PM

Re: Re: Did you guys notice compared to the 4th gen.. the 5th gen is smaller?

Originally posted by SteVTEC
You have the same exact problem as I do with the 5th Gen's. And this why I got a 4th gen used instead of a new 02 6spd after my last car was totalled.

I just wouldn't feel safe driving that car with my leg bumping into the wheel and my hand all the time.
yea.. i wonder what would happen if i got in an accident (knock on wood).. but there's nothign i can do about it..

i miss mu 95 sometimes ... why did they make the 2k3 so much smaller.. sheesh
Old 10-21-2002, 07:14 PM

Re: Re: Re: Did you guys notice compared to the 4th gen.. the 5th gen is smaller?

yea.. i wonder what would happen if i got in an accident (knock on wood).. but there's nothign i can do about it..

i miss mu 95 sometimes ... why did they make the 2k3 so much smaller.. sheesh
STOP COMPLAINING! You got a 6-speed to go along with 255 ponies.

If you don't like your 2k3, I accept gifts
Old 10-21-2002, 07:26 PM
Banned

Quoted Message:

I was just curious, how big/tall are you guys?? I'm 6'1 and I did notice the leg bumping into the wheel when I test drove the 6-speed. Like you had said Steve, I wouldn't feel safe driving like that either,(stepping on the clutch caused my leg to hit the steering wheel) unless I had the wheel tilted up high like a school bus driver. But did the 4th gens really have more leg clearance??
Old 10-21-2002, 07:43 PM
rilla dope

I agree with the lack of space. I have a 2k1 and I wish the seat was lower. I can't adjust the wheel and seat to get real comfortable. A telescoping wheel would be perfect. I'm 6'2" and have a 31" inseam so my legs aren't long or anything, it's just not as confortable as my other rides. I love it anyway
Old 10-21-2002, 08:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I love the size.

My wife's 2k Passat is HUGE on the interior, but I LOVE my Max's comfy interior. low-slung dash gives great visibility, rear legroom is impressive, the whole car feels a little more lower to the ground.

It has been said time and time before...Diff'rent Strokes for Diff'rent Folks...I'm a big fan of the 5th Gen and I'm 6'0"/195lbs/33"waist.
Old 10-21-2002, 08:10 PM

Re: I love the size.

Originally posted by zeitgeist57
I'm 6'0"/195lbs/33"waist.
I'm 5'10" at 142 pounds with a 31" waist. I also enjoy long walks on the beach and I like cartoons. Anyone interested? Females only...

I am really becoming a post *****.

Back to the topic: I find the Maxima interior big. Not even big enough, but huge. I have all the room I want and need in the drivers seat, passengers seat, and when I sit in the back, the backseat. I can live in here if I wanted to. If the 4th gen is bigger -->
Old 10-21-2002, 08:17 PM

im 6'4'' and the stupid steering is not really adjustable. I would say everything else is great. The 5th gen is bigger then the 4th I believe except for the lack of mobility of the steering wheel.
Old 10-21-2002, 08:39 PM

im about 6'3" or 6'4" and weight 220lbs. i dont have any problems fitting in the car. i have the steering wheel as far up as possible and the seat as low and far back as it can go. the only problem i have with room is the damn e-brake when its up, really angles too far towards the driver IMO.

but then again i have never been in a 4th gen so i cant say which is bigger
Old 10-21-2002, 09:21 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I'm, pretty sure 5th gen is slightly bigger inside. it's just the seat+dash angle is odd for some taller folks.

zeitgeist57 - passat is def. smaller... I drove whole bunch of them - they seem smaller...

Old 10-21-2002, 09:47 PM

ok i'm 6'0" 300 pound asian hehe

i fit in my old 4th gen just fine.. it was soo comfy for me

but the 5th gen.. i dunno... it just feels alot smaller to me.. u guys should go sit in a 4th gen.. seriously.. then tell me which u think is bigger

oh and i'm not really complaining.. just wondering if i can fix it so the wheel doesnt rest on my thigh when i am driving...

oh yea.. even all my friends were like.."why did u buy a smaller car??" its wierd is all i'm sayin... i miss the romminess of the 4th gen
Old 10-21-2002, 10:12 PM

My dad's got a '98 Maxima. I find it easier to get in and out of his car than in my '01 (I'm 6'0" and about 220lbs). I did a small visual comparison on the two and I think the main difference is in the way the drivers seat is designed. The 4th gen definitely seems to sit lower to the car floor than in the 5th gen. The 5th gen seat bottom also seems to have more of an aggressive rake than in the 4th gen. This is probably why I am constatnly trying to tilt the front of the seat cushion down in my car thinking it is tilted up. Sorry to go on and on, but I thought I was the only one who complained about the steering wheel rubbing against me. L8r
Old 10-21-2002, 10:42 PM

Re: Re: Did you guys notice compared to the 4th gen.. the 5th gen is smaller?

The 5th gens do a lot better in offset frontal crash tests than the 4th gen 95-96s. The 97-99s do a little better, but it's kinda a tossup betweeen that in the 5th gens. The 5th gens did poorly in the leg injury test while the 97-99s did better in that.

See http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/97024.htm
http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/95012.htm
http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/00015.htm
for info. I took a quick look at NHTSA's site, and I saw that the 2002 for the most part did better (from the raw numbers) than the 95.

The last time I drove a 4th gen a 97 Max back in 97. It was a rental I had for a few days, so I really can't compare it to my 2K2 in terms of room.
Old 10-22-2002, 06:11 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Re: Re: Re: Did you guys notice compared to the 4th gen.. the 5th gen is smaller?

Originally posted by cwerdna
The 5th gens do a lot better in offset frontal crash tests than the 4th gen 95-96s. The 97-99s do a little better, but it's kinda a tossup betweeen that in the 5th gens. The 5th gens did poorly in the leg injury test while the 97-99s did better in that.

See http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/97024.htm
http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/95012.htm
http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/00015.htm
for info. I took a quick look at NHTSA's site, and I saw that the 2002 for the most part did better (from the raw numbers) than the 95.

The last time I drove a 4th gen a 97 Max back in 97. It was a rental I had for a few days, so I really can't compare it to my 2K2 in terms of room.
LOL, I'm not talking about crash safety. I'm talking about overall vehicle control and crash avoidance safety

As much as I wanted an 02/6spd, I just couldn't buy one. If I need to ham fist the wheel quick to avoid something, my hand could get caught between the wheel and my knee and cause me to lose control of the car. Likewise, if I need to hit the brakes fast, lifting my leg up would cause it to HIT the wheel, possibly cause me to lose control of steering, and possibly cause me to not be able to grab the brakes in time!

The seating position in my 4th Gen is overall lower relative to the wheel/dash, and this gives me the leg room (height-wise) that I need that the 5th Gen doesn't have. Even if I have the wheel all the way up in a 5th Gen, and the seat all the way down, I *still* don't have enough clearance between my leg, the wheel, and the center stack/console.

Plenty of room in my 4th Gen, though
Old 10-22-2002, 06:25 AM

I do agree that the 5th is a little more difficult to get in than the 4th (don't know why?). I test drove a 4th gen and thought it was really cramped on the inside. I didn't like it at all. I then went right down the street and test drove a 5th gen. I loved the interior over the 4th and was much more comfortable for me. I have since sold my 00 GXE and got a 02 SE. I love the SE. Interior didn't change any but I have noticed more issues with the steering wheel. My SE steering wheel is more in the way and cannot be adjusted as much. My GXE was an auto and my SE a 6spd.
Old 10-22-2002, 06:56 AM
Zog

Yeah agreed on the size issue. I'm 6'4" and about 265 and it's a little rough getting in. Getting out and during driving it's tolerable. I noticed this when I test drove, but i just loved it soo much. I don't know if any of you have ever driven a 3rd gen. but i have never been in a sedan with so much room. With the seat all the way back i could barely reach the wheel.

Why the hell doesn't the wheel go up for $h!t in our car. The altima's goes up farther and telescopes. OK, enough ranting.
Old 10-22-2002, 07:09 AM
jjs

At 6'0", 195lbs, 34" inseam, I don't know what problems you all are having. Move the seat back, tilt the wheel down, and there is enough room not to have legs hitting anything. A little snug on the rigt leg between the wheel and the dash 'pod', but nothing major.

Now for SMALL you should try a 3 series. GF got rid of hers (end of lease) and I am not sorry to see it go. Talk about cramped.
Old 10-22-2002, 07:17 AM
Zog

Originally posted by jjs
I don't know what problems you all are having. Move the seat back, tilt the wheel down, and there is enough room not to have legs hitting anything. A little snug on the rigt leg between the wheel and the dash 'pod', but nothing major.
It's not leg length that's a problem, my legs are big and i have trouble with them sliding under the steering wheel for entry.
Old 10-22-2002, 07:19 AM
jjs

Originally posted by zoggfatha

It's not leg length that's a problem, my legs are big and i have trouble with them sliding under the steering wheel for entry.
I never said entry wasn't a trick (made a bit easier by sliding on the leather seats).

But once in, no big deal.
Old 10-22-2002, 07:23 AM

When I test drove, I hit the wheel with my knees. But after adjusting it, I'm fine. No problem working the clutch and no problem hitting the wheel. 6'4" with a 34" inseam. I do wish the wheel would telescope though.
Old 10-22-2002, 07:51 AM
Maxima Pilot

Good perfume comes in small bottles! Me

no have to worry...5'7" and 160 lbs..I fit great!
Old 10-22-2002, 08:44 AM

Fits me

I'm 6'5'' and 210 lbs (all gut and legs) with a 36-37 inseam. I fit fine in the car. My only "gripe" and its very minor is like someone says, the emergency brake when up points right into the thighs. But I'm just more careful getting in.

For me, I kind of wish the wheel would telescope, but not enough to complain about it. My wife's beetle has the telescoping wheel, and its a fine car, but ask me which one I have more fun in.

Now, to be fair, I never drove a 4th gen, but I did test drive plenty of vehicles, and trust me, this is the only one with a sunroof that I have headroom in.

I test drove both Camry's and Impala LS's that I could not sit up in due to headroom gone from the sunroof. I was at the point where I would beg for a car without a sunroof.

Then along came a Maxima, and low and behold I could hold my head up straight and have a sunroof.

And there's plenty of legroom for me.

The space is why I got the car, in addition to its sporty looks, good engine.

Maybe it loses in comparsions to 4th Gens, but it beats almost anything else in its range (and I won't drive an Intrepid, sorry).
Old 10-22-2002, 09:05 AM

Originally posted by 2K1Lustre
My dad's got a '98 Maxima. I find it easier to get in and out of his car than in my '01 (I'm 6'0" and about 220lbs). I did a small visual comparison on the two and I think the main difference is in the way the drivers seat is designed. The 4th gen definitely seems to sit lower to the car floor than in the 5th gen. The 5th gen seat bottom also seems to have more of an aggressive rake than in the 4th gen. This is probably why I am constatnly trying to tilt the front of the seat cushion down in my car thinking it is tilted up. Sorry to go on and on, but I thought I was the only one who complained about the steering wheel rubbing against me. L8r
I think you're exactly right. The seat feels like it doesn't go as far down on my '03 vs. the '95, especially the front; I fit okay in both, but in the '03 the top of my head sometimes touches the roof if I'm wearing a ball cap or something. It never touches in the '95 (both have sunroofs, so that's not the difference).
Old 10-22-2002, 10:25 AM

Re: Good perfume comes in small bottles! Me

Originally posted by Galo
no have to worry...5'7" and 160 lbs..I fit great!
We could be twins
Old 10-22-2002, 11:15 AM
Maxima Pilot

Well...u did not place ur b-day year on ur

profile so...are u an old fart too??

ps: nice ride, NJ...
Old 10-22-2002, 11:43 AM

I'm getting there....29

Thanks man!
Old 10-22-2002, 12:38 PM

I'm 6'4" and 225 lbs with 34 in. inseam. I fit fine in my 2001 and I also fit in my 91 SE. I agree that it might be combination of seat height and center stack. Interior is larger than many other cars that I've driven and I can also hold my head up with the sunroof (also on 91 SE).
Old 10-22-2002, 01:42 PM

big and tall

I'm 6'1" and working up to 220 lbs. I have no trouble fitting my legs under the wheel. The guy that I bought the car from was also big. It's nice to be in a roomy car (not like my gf's 200SX).

Why don't you guys just sit in the back seat ?
Old 10-22-2002, 02:22 PM

Re: big and tall

Rrrriigggttttt
Old 10-22-2002, 02:23 PM

Re: big and tall

Originally posted by T-bone
The real question is "why can't I get action in the back seat?"
Old 10-22-2002, 03:29 PM

No kidding I am 6'4" 325lbs and it fits me just fine...

Originally posted by VQPowerSE

Quoted Message:

I was just curious, how big/tall are you guys?? I'm 6'1 and I did notice the leg bumping into the wheel when I test drove the 6-speed. Like you had said Steve, I wouldn't feel safe driving like that either,(stepping on the clutch caused my leg to hit the steering wheel) unless I had the wheel tilted up high like a school bus driver. But did the 4th gens really have more leg clearance??

What are you 6'8"?
Old 10-22-2002, 06:36 PM
Banned

Re: No kidding I am 6'4" 325lbs and it fits me just fine...

Originally posted by TheOzzfather

What are you 6'8"?
6'8 when it comes to the 6-speed, 6'1 when its auto.
Old 10-22-2002, 06:55 PM

Re: Re: No kidding I am 6'4" 325lbs and it fits me just fine...

Originally posted by VQPowerSE

6'8 when it comes to the 6-speed, 6'1 when its auto.
Old 10-22-2002, 07:00 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: No kidding I am 6'4" 325lbs and it fits me just fine...

Originally posted by GLE02NJ
He asked if i was 6'8 when I already posted being 6'1.
Old 10-24-2002, 10:43 AM

Re: Re: I love the size.

Originally posted by GLE02NJ
I'm 5'10" at 142 pounds with a 31" waist. I also enjoy long walks on the beach and I like cartoons. Anyone interested? Females only...
You must be asian if you are only 142lbs. Geez, that is tiny man...makes me want to go out and run a few miles. I'm 5'10 170.
Old 10-24-2002, 11:11 AM

Re: Re: Re: I love the size.

Originally posted by Texasguy

You must be asian if you are only 142lbs. Geez, that is tiny man...makes me want to go out and run a few miles. I'm 5'10 170.
asian but not oriental. That narrows it down..
Old 10-25-2002, 04:29 AM

I recently posted the memo below in a new thread, but I'm reposting it here since "it belongs". It sounds like I'm one of the only tall guys with the complaint about the console/dash pod design infringing on my driver space. For what it's worth, my car's an '01 automatic, so I don't have that steering wheel problem. Ya know, when they post leg room statitics and measurements in cars they're not talking about driver room! The distance to the floor forward of the petals is fantistic, but the driver can't use that space since our feet are on the petals. The seat is poorly positioned. If you don't agree, power it all the way forward and tell me if you have ever seen a driver that could drive a car with that little legroom.....the whole thing should have been mounted 2 inches back. But I think the major problem is distance to petals, so that's what I'm talking about below..... Bob
------------------------------------------------

I'm 6'3" but have a bit extra leg length for my height. The Max has more room in it's price range than anything on the market (especially foreign).

I think I tried them all. I am really bothered by the beautiful but
cramped console design that intrudes on the driver's room. I do some long drives and if it weren't for cruise control I'd have to abandon the car.

I was considering changing to a new Altima ---- it has better room, a
better console design for tall people, and the tele steering wheel, but has a list of cheap features, compared to my Maxima. And those glaring instrument panel lights suck.

So......I'm redesigning the gas petal arm. I checked it out and one can be modified to give the driver around 3/4" more leg stretch when cruising and a better leg position. I ordered a new part for $35 to work on and it seems doable with a little cutting and welding.

Any other taller guys out there that can use this solution or have any
other good ideas? It's ironic that any of the other passenger seats have GREAT leg room. I thought the DRIVER usually buys the car...!