5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

KYB AGXs...finally...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2002, 01:40 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

KYB AGXs...finally...

well, my left front Tokicos were blown(the rest 3s were kinda ok) so got the KYB AGXs for my car and installed it today.

before install, i knew i had to modify the top strut mounts but i also found out that one of the strut bolts on each front strut also had to be modified. the spaing between the 4th gen holes were shorter than on 5th gens. so i ended up elongating the holes to fit on my car. am i the only one with this problem? the struts fit fine after and there are no noises from the suspension.

oh btw, the AGXs are really nice shocks. Tokicos were good but these are absolutely better!!
Old 10-01-2002, 05:49 AM

I don't have any first hand knowledge, but what you just said is what I heard from a third party. Elongate the holes and then shave down the mounts. Pretty sweet!!
Old 10-01-2002, 06:10 AM

I got Tokicos for the front and KYB AGXs for the rear. Now I'm concerned that I'll have to get the Tokicos replaced in the near future since people have had problems with them. You and Myktek have failed Tokicos in the last month alone. This sux because I have to pay for the installation each time .

How long were the Tokicos on your car before they failed?
Old 10-01-2002, 07:33 AM

Originally posted by Tanman
I got Tokicos for the front and KYB AGXs for the rear. Now I'm concerned that I'll have to get the Tokicos replaced in the near future since people have had problems with them. You and Myktek have failed Tokicos in the last month alone. This sux because I have to pay for the installation each time .

My setup matches yours Tanman...this is the first I've heard of the Tokicos failing recently on the 5th gen fronts...who else had the problem and what springs were they running...I have Eibachs...
Old 10-01-2002, 07:41 AM

Originally posted by srbarnes4ever

My setup matches yours Tanman...this is the first I've heard of the Tokicos failing recently on the 5th gen fronts...who else had the problem and what springs were they running...I have Eibachs...
Myktek had his Tokicos fronts fail, he's using Eibachs too. I decided to go with H&Rs for better ride quality, but I'm reconsidering it since I'd like a lowered look. Maybe I'll cut the top coil off the front springs to lower the front a little more.

I really hope the Tokicos last because I don't want to pay for a second install, plus the mess with warranty replacement on the Tokicos.
Old 10-01-2002, 11:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

congrats on the install....have u contacted tokicos and get a new strut under warranty? at least sell it for some $$ to cover ur AGX.

congrats and enjoy!
Old 10-01-2002, 12:06 PM

i had the Tokicos for about 2 years and during those 2 years i've put about 60,000 miles on them(street, strip, circuit). it's my left front that failed, but my rears were in decent conditions.
Old 10-01-2002, 12:12 PM

I really hope the Tokicos last because I don't want to pay for a second install, plus the mess with warranty replacement on the Tokicos.
that's the thing with the shock warranties. it's really a biatch!
Old 10-01-2002, 01:24 PM

Originally posted by irvine78

that's the thing with the shock warranties. it's really a biatch!
Well, the streets of Houston aren't good for shocks, lots of bad pavement. I don't slow down for it either, same way with speedbumps. When I gotta go, I gotta go.

Looks like I'll have to learn how to install them on my own . Good luck getting yours replaced under warranty, then sell them like [m-o] suggested.
Old 10-02-2002, 12:09 AM

Well, the streets of Houston aren't good for shocks, lots of bad pavement. I don't slow down for it either, same way with speedbumps. When I gotta go, I gotta go.
i don't know much about streets in Houston, but as far as potholes and rough streets are concerned, so cal is probably one of the top offenders..

Looks like I'll have to learn how to install them on my own . Good luck getting yours replaced under warranty, then sell them like [m-o] suggested.
there isn't anything you have to learn to come up with..what you need to do to make the AGXs fit is in pretty much what i told you. but still, it takes some good steady hands

good luck with your install..
Old 10-02-2002, 11:34 AM

With some luck I should have mine in as well by Stillen Day...I am looking forward to ripping my car apart again, replacing the shocks/struts and all the wheel studs I jacked up last track day...
Old 10-02-2002, 12:18 PM

Re: KYB AGXs...finally...

Originally posted by irvine78
well, my left front Tokicos were blown(the rest 3s were kinda ok) so got the KYB AGXs for my car and installed it today.

before install, i knew i had to modify the top strut mounts but i also found out that one of the strut bolts on each front strut also had to be modified. the spaing between the 4th gen holes were shorter than on 5th gens. so i ended up elongating the holes to fit on my car. am i the only one with this problem? the struts fit fine after and there are no noises from the suspension.

oh btw, the AGXs are really nice shocks. Tokicos were good but these are absolutely better!!
Hey where did you get the KYB AGX and for how much?
Old 10-02-2002, 06:09 PM

Hey, I'm probably going to get blasted for this, but I can't find out where the AGX shocks are sold w/ the conversion pieces for a 5th gen. Help???
Old 10-03-2002, 03:16 AM

Re: Re: KYB AGXs...finally...

Originally posted by Burton069
Hey where did you get the KYB AGX and for how much?
i bought the shocks from Premier autoworks(sorry, can't tell u the price cuz i got them for their cost), but you can get them from almost anywhere that sells shocks.

Originally posted by zoner

Hey, I'm probably going to get blasted for this, but I can't find out where the AGX shocks are sold w/ the conversion pieces for a 5th gen. Help???
you can either buy the 4th gen strut mounts from your local Nissan dealership or shave down yours(i did just shaved mine down).
Cattman is selling the AGXs with the conversion kit for $450.

the conversion kit is still 4th gen AGXs with the 4th gen strut mounts. you still have to elongate one of the strut holes in the front.