4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Question about knock sensor.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 12:37 PM

EMERGENCY! Question about knock sensor.

I recently replaced my spark plugs and started noticing a slight jerk the car would do every 1-2 minutes while in either drive or reverse. I went down to Nissan and after putting the car up on the computer they have determined I need a new knock sensor and are replacing it as we speak. My question is what would make a knock sensor go bad or need it to be replaced? Also, what harm would be done if I were to continue driving or have driven with a bad knock sensor. Thank You, David.
Old 07-09-2002, 01:03 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The KS has nothing to do with your jerk. You have a misfire on a cylinder. Could be a bad plug or a coil pack starting to go bad. Give it some time and I'm sure your ECU will throw another code.
Old 07-09-2002, 01:51 PM

By the way, not sure if it is important but I have a 97 SE Automatic.
Old 07-09-2002, 02:05 PM

definately a misfire

ITs not your knock sensor. the dealer is ripping you off. Check to see if a spark plug boot around a plug is ripped. That's what my problem was. The car would jerk and skip because a spark plug boot was ripped. The ignition coil was also weak. Tell the dealership they have no idea what there doing because replacing the knock sensor won't fix our problem!!
Old 07-09-2002, 07:07 PM

Re: definately a misfire

Originally posted by camaro1698
ITs not your knock sensor. the dealer is ripping you off. Check to see if a spark plug boot around a plug is ripped. That's what my problem was. The car would jerk and skip because a spark plug boot was ripped. The ignition coil was also weak. Tell the dealership they have no idea what there doing because replacing the knock sensor won't fix our problem!!
What is the spark plug booth? Is it the black piece at the end of the spark plug? Please help me out I'm going there tommorow morning before work and want to have some knowledge on my hands. Thanks, David.
Old 07-09-2002, 08:23 PM

Re: Re: definately a misfire

Originally posted by orgasmicNYC

What is the spark plug booth? Is it the black piece at the end of the spark plug? Please help me out I'm going there tommorow morning before work and want to have some knowledge on my hands. Thanks, David.
its the spark plug boot sorry, the boot is at the end of the spark plug, check to se if it is ripped or torn or broken, its definately not your knock sensor
Old 07-09-2002, 08:26 PM

Re: Re: Re: definately a misfire

its the spark plug boot sorry, the boot is at the end of the spark plug, check to se if it is ripped or torn or broken, its definately not your knock sensor
OMG YOU JUST SAVED MY LIFE!! Well, I did spend about $600 dollars replacing sensors and other things all because of a stupid rubbber piece. I will tell them to fix it tommorow morning before work. How much is this rubber piece they sell them right? Mine is ripped in cylinders 4&5!
Old 07-09-2002, 08:38 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: definately a misfire

If You would of told me this last week, you could of saved me hours of my own time working on this and lots of money. I rather would have donated a few hundred to this site rather then give it away to some scheming mechanic. I hope your right I will get it fixed tommorow, I will sleep in excitment today!
Old 07-09-2002, 09:11 PM

if the boot is ripped or torn, the dealer will try to sell you a whole new ignition coil because you can't just buy the boot from the dealer. The coils are around $70 depending on the dealer. You could do what I did buy a boot from autozone and retrofit it, mine works great. If not buy the whole coil and it will come with a new boot. or buy the ignition coil from autozone and do the job yourself. It's really easy.
Old 07-09-2002, 09:20 PM

if the boot is ripped or torn, the dealer will try to sell you a whole new ignition coil because you can't just buy the boot from the dealer. The coils are around $70 depending on the dealer. You could do what I did buy a boot from autozone and retrofit it, mine works great. If not buy the whole coil and it will come with a new boot. or buy the ignition coil from autozone and do the job yourself. It's really easy.
What is the exact Boot you purchased from autozone.com I will order it.
Old 07-09-2002, 09:25 PM

they sell a bag of spark plug boots at there counter, I think it was like $19. if not buy the ignition coil from them its like $64. make sure you specify left and right bank, your right bank is closest to the firewall