4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Don Cooper AutoTrans VB upgrade update

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2002, 08:41 PM

Don Cooper AutoTrans VB upgrade update

The thread I started on this subject disappeared, but wanted to report back. I've put on around 15k miles since the vb upgrade in February.

1) I've drained and filled my transmission fluid almost as often as my oil since the vbupgrade. This last oil change I opted to leave my trans fluid in since I've had the cooler since the previous change, and since the tranny has been feeling sooo good. From what I've read so far about auto cross racing, I think this upgrade will be perfect for it.

2) It has settled in niceley and seemingly gotten better with time. I've notice especially over the last 4,500 miles a better regularity with it's behavior, which I admit may be due to the fact that I've stopped messing with the TPS and WAF during that time.

3) If you put it in 2 as opposed to D, it behaves differently. I don't know if this is by design or not (I had trouble explaining it to Don at the meet in Austin). Essentially, when it's in D, it shifts pretty normally. If I put it in 2 and give it the same acceleration I often catch a wheel! However, under mild acceleration it feels like a worn-out honda when it 2 (so don't put it in 2 unless you expect to do 4krpms or better before the shift.)

4) The only details I could get from Don at the Austin maxima meet were:
- increase of line pressure
- swapping out some solenoids.
He then basically waved his hands and said some hocus pocus

I stopped by and met him in Houston on my way through to California, he's a great guy, let him do your vb.

LA is great on the 4th of July.

Goin' for a million miles,
Joey
Old 07-05-2002, 10:32 PM

Re: Don Cooper AutoTrans VB upgrade update

Originally posted by jdunagan
The thread I started on this subject disappeared, but wanted to report back. I've put on around 15k miles since the vb upgrade in February.

1) I've drained and filled my transmission fluid almost as often as my oil since the vbupgrade. This last oil change I opted to leave my trans fluid in since I've had the cooler since the previous change, and since the tranny has been feeling sooo good. From what I've read so far about auto cross racing, I think this upgrade will be perfect for it.

2) It has settled in niceley and seemingly gotten better with time. I've notice especially over the last 4,500 miles a better regularity with it's behavior, which I admit may be due to the fact that I've stopped messing with the TPS and WAF during that time.

3) If you put it in 2 as opposed to D, it behaves differently. I don't know if this is by design or not (I had trouble explaining it to Don at the meet in Austin). Essentially, when it's in D, it shifts pretty normally. If I put it in 2 and give it the same acceleration I often catch a wheel! However, under mild acceleration it feels like a worn-out honda when it 2 (so don't put it in 2 unless you expect to do 4krpms or better before the shift.)

4) The only details I could get from Don at the Austin maxima meet were:
- increase of line pressure
- swapping out some solenoids.
He then basically waved his hands and said some hocus pocus

I stopped by and met him in Houston on my way through to California, he's a great guy, let him do your vb.

LA is great on the 4th of July.

Goin' for a million miles,
Joey
What do you mean by "catch a wheel" when you put the gear shift into 2? Do you mean you can chirp second? If so, what kind of wheels/tires do you have?

I too have the vb and am very happy with it, and I'd be curious if you found a way to chirp 2nd easily since I haven't been able to thus far.
Old 07-17-2002, 06:08 PM

Re: Re: Don Cooper AutoTrans VB upgrade update

Exactly. Chirps when it shifts from 1st to 2nd gear while the shifter is in "2".

I can get it to do it best when I let it shift with the throttle around 4k. Over 4k or in a corner you have hold the wheel firmly

It's especially useful when trying to out accelerate someone in city traffic with out a lot of winding out or intake noise.

I overpayed Don a little - a hefty tip. Perhaps he set my line pressure up just a little higher?

I'm running stock se alloy wheels with oversized pilots and varying loads in the trunk and back seat. Always carrying 1548 watts of ampage under the rear deck and a ported 12 in the back seat.

Some more guessing:
I have a lot of miles on my car. Perhaps there are some cushions in tranny that aren't in there anymore. Perhaps this could contribute to stiffer shifts? I'm also guessing that one of the swapped solenoids might be activated to allow more pressure while the stick is in "2".

Happy chirping
156k,
Joseph
Old 07-17-2002, 10:28 PM

Re: Re: Re: Don Cooper AutoTrans VB upgrade update

Yeah maybe that tip did it!!! I havent been able to chirp 2nd even using stock wheels and taking my subs out and all other sorts of dead weight although Ive never floored it from "2."

Interesting stuff man.