4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

airbag module?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2002, 06:05 AM

airbag module?

I finally took my car in to the dealer to have the airbag light serviced. Well, lucky when I got there they told me that it was just a computer thing and reset the ecu for me. I told them I did that but they said that the codes needed to be cleared by their computers (is that true?) Regardless, he said if the light comes back on that means one of the air bag module is bad. For my car it was the left side. Now, I have two questions--what exactly is the "air bag module" he is referring to. Is that the airbag itself or is that the ECU? This guy repeated the same sentence to me twice--so I thought to myself--never mind, let me go ask the folks on the forum.
I was also wondering--has anyone had their airbag module replaced for their 4th generation? and if you have--how much were you charged? I am scared of paying an arm and leg...yikes!!!
thanks for your thoughts.
Old 07-03-2002, 09:44 AM

Re: airbag module?

You have a separate airbag control unit. Box is located under your center console area between the seats.
Old 07-03-2002, 06:21 PM

Re: airbag module?

Originally posted by humaras
I finally took my car in to the dealer to have the airbag light serviced. Well, lucky when I got there they told me that it was just a computer thing and reset the ecu for me. I told them I did that but they said that the codes needed to be cleared by their computers (is that true?) Regardless, he said if the light comes back on that means one of the air bag module is bad. For my car it was the left side. Now, I have two questions--what exactly is the "air bag module" he is referring to. Is that the airbag itself or is that the ECU? This guy repeated the same sentence to me twice--so I thought to myself--never mind, let me go ask the folks on the forum.
I was also wondering--has anyone had their airbag module replaced for their 4th generation? and if you have--how much were you charged? I am scared of paying an arm and leg...yikes!!!
thanks for your thoughts.
Yep its under the center console. I replaced mine together with my airbags about a month ago. (long story) the control module is what senses a collision and sends the signal to the bags to deploy. It's not hard to replace and it costs like $250 used from a junkyard. why it would go bad??? i have no idea.
Old 07-03-2002, 08:24 PM
Ginuwin3112

costs like $250 used from a junkyard
Hey do u know if i were to get one from a junkyard from a 98 SE would it work for my 99??(are they interchangeable between year models) Would the module still be usable after the airbags were deployed on the junkcar im getting this off of?

I need to replace mine too (flood vehicle)

Old 07-04-2002, 06:03 AM

Originally posted by Ginuwin3112

Hey do u know if i were to get one from a junkyard from a 98 SE would it work for my 99??(are they interchangeable between year models) Would the module still be usable after the airbags were deployed on the junkcar im getting this off of?

I need to replace mine too (flood vehicle)
My cousin owns a bodyshop where they replace airbags daily. In some cars the module can be reset by the dealership.(so the airbag light goes off)in my maxima i asked the nissan dealership and they said that its only designed to work once and that they would recommend replacing it keyword "recommend" meaning you don't have to. I'm a little crazy at the wheel and i didn't wanna take any chances so i opted for the extra $250 to replace the module rather than risk eating some windshield in a collision.( I was told they dont taste too good ) many places sell you just the airbags for the maxima so i would assume the module can be reused. anyway yes the module for the 98 is the same cuz when i was shopping around for th airbag and crap i was looking for 97-99 components. my module is actually a 98 on my 97 so they are all interchangeable don't take my word for it though. as for a flood vehicle i don't see why you need to replace it unless the airbag light is on. if you look at the module its sealed very well since it's such a sensitive device. i don't think any water could get in to the electrical components. but again don't take my word for it!!!
Old 07-04-2002, 09:50 AM

That is good information and very nice to know. SO your airbag module was replaced at the dealership or at your cousin's shop? how much was the part plus the labor? The guy said that he had to check on it for me. I am always afraid of taking it to the dealership cause it usually ends up being an arm or leg. As for my car. I took it in this past tuesday and they checked it over and said it was just a computer code saying that the left (driver side) airbag is opened. So they reset the airbag codes and cleaned everything. The dealership said it was good to go, but a few hours later on my way home, the light is back again. So when I called them back the guy who took my car in said that it was most likely the airbag module...any one have any ideas or other suggestions? I am taking the car back in next week after the holiday weekend...
thanks, and let me know what the cost was--appreciate that.
Bri

Originally posted by alexamparo

My cousin owns a bodyshop where they replace airbags daily. In some cars the module can be reset by the dealership.(so the airbag light goes off)in my maxima i asked the nissan dealership and they said that its only designed to work once and that they would recommend replacing it keyword "recommend" meaning you don't have to. I'm a little crazy at the wheel and i didn't wanna take any chances so i opted for the extra $250 to replace the module rather than risk eating some windshield in a collision.( I was told they dont taste too good ) many places sell you just the airbags for the maxima so i would assume the module can be reused. anyway yes the module for the 98 is the same cuz when i was shopping around for th airbag and crap i was looking for 97-99 components. my module is actually a 98 on my 97 so they are all interchangeable don't take my word for it though. as for a flood vehicle i don't see why you need to replace it unless the airbag light is on. if you look at the module its sealed very well since it's such a sensitive device. i don't think any water could get in to the electrical components. but again don't take my word for it!!!
Old 07-04-2002, 10:46 AM
Ginuwin3112

hmm...interesting..but yeah my airbag light kept staying on until i took the bulb out..i took a look at the module and it is pretty well rusted all over...$250? not bad. OH and i also heard the module is not JUST for the airbag, it has something to do with the OBD system too? well thats what it said in the Haynes manual..i hope when i replace this it will fix a few small problems i have here and there.

Old 08-12-2002, 01:25 PM

i have an 99se with side airbags. would that be the same module as the regular module with only the front two airbags? also does anyone know a junkyard near san francisco or houston texas. i know your probably thinking to different parts of the US. I just travel that much back and forth. please help!!!!
Old 08-12-2002, 01:31 PM

I am sure since you have the side airbags there is a lot of wiring and is more complicated than the regular airbags that I have.
you may want to use this site: www.copartfinder.com
see what is available out there.
Bri
Originally posted by OAKMaX
i have an 99se with side airbags. would that be the same module as the regular module with only the front two airbags? also does anyone know a junkyard near san francisco or houston texas. i know your probably thinking to different parts of the US. I just travel that much back and forth. please help!!!!
Old 08-12-2002, 02:05 PM

thanx bri. i am on the search for an the module. i reseted my airbag light for now and am going to wait to see what happens. meanwhile i am still going to search. thanx again.