4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Easiest way to change FUEL Filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2002, 09:37 AM

Easiest way to change FUEL Filter

Well, after several posting and reading I figured out the easiest way to change Fuel filter.
Many people try from top or bottom, taking out the air box component, strut bar, getting cuts on their hands, hard to pull out the hose, etc.

Well, after some thinking, it only took me 15 minutes to change the fuel filter without taking any airbox assembly, not cutting hands, with no gasoline spill. The solution?

From the side wall.

First turn the handle all the way to the right, and pull the fuel pump. The car will stall. Reach from the top and take the hose off from the engine block. Do not take the hose off from the fuel filter since this is very hard. The top hose that connects to the engine block is much easier. Then put some kink of cotton ( other method) to conver the hole of the hose to prevent spilling of gas. Drop the fuel filter down.
Get the jack equipment from your trunk and jack up the left from side of the car. Make sure that you have turned the from wheels all the way to the right. Take off fron left wheel.

Now if you look inside of fender, you will see fuel filter that you dropped from the top. Take of bottom hose. It is very easy to take off since you have ample space to work with and with two hands! Yes you can use TWO HANDS. Prior to taking the bottom hose from the filter, place some paper towels for the gas that comes out from the fuel filter. Note, if you have closed the upper hose, then gas spill is minimized.

Now you have fuel filter with upper hose. Take it off and put the new filter back. Following the reverse order.

It is piece of cake. If you notice, it is much much easier this way. Note that I have ABS brakes and I did not take any component apart from the engine bay but only the front left tire.

Now we know that changing fuel filter should not take at max more than 30 minutes!!!
Old 06-29-2002, 09:44 AM

Re: Easiest way to change FUEL Filter

By the way, I replaceed with Nissan Maxima fuel filter. I went to Autozone and tried to order 300ZX fuel filter but it was bigger in diameter and not like the users mentioned. I double checked with Autozone but yes, the lenght is about the same as the Maxima but it was bigger in diameter.

I wonder why Autozone is different. I was expecting same diameter but a little bit longer.

Any ideas?
Old 06-29-2002, 11:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Easiest way to change FUEL Filter

Originally posted by hyuin001

I wonder why Autozone is different. I was expecting same diameter but a little bit longer.

Any ideas?
The OEM 300ZX filter is bigger in diameter as well. I use a Maxima filter and just change it more often 20-30k. The 300ZX filter might possibly last longer due to a great filter element, but that's pretty hypothetical.
If you don't have ABS the fuel filter is very easy to get to from the top. When you remove it the first time the screws face the firewall, but once you get the lines removed you can position it facing forward for the next fuel filter. I can do my fuel filter in 10 minutes or so without removing anything else. That's a lot of trouble to jack the car, remove the wheel, remove the cover, and drop the fuel filter.
Maybe I just don't understand how much trouble you ABS guys have
-hype
Old 06-29-2002, 12:35 PM

i guess i was lucky... i had no trouble changing my fuel filter. all i did was take out the fuse for the fuel pump, flush the line... unscrew the bracket holding the filter in place... with it somewhat lose, i twisted the top hose off... then i held the filter and twisted it off the lower hose. from the time i took the fuse out to the time i put it back in took me 15 min. i don't have ABS, and i've never looked under the hood of a Max. with ABS. is there something that gets in the way of the filter?
Old 06-29-2002, 04:45 PM

The problem with ABS is that ABS lines are near top of the fuel filter which obstructs your access to the filter in somewhat way. It is really hard to change Fuel filter with ABS in conversional way.

I hope those with ABS can change fuel filter easily with the method that I have described.
Old 06-29-2002, 07:09 PM

Well I wish I had read this thread earlier today. My bro and I cahnged ther fuel filter and it was a B*@TH..... Next time i will try your method.

thanks
Old 01-08-2003, 08:03 PM
chrisco

Thanks for spreading the knowledge dude. I thought I was going to get spanked for $60 at the dealer for such a basic job, damn ABS makes it such a pain. Your thread helped me a lot. Thanks, Chrisco

Old 01-08-2003, 11:23 PM

Just to add to the ease

use a pry tool (the ones audio installers use)...get them for like $5 at Kragen Auto parts, to remove the rubber fuel-lines.
Old 01-14-2003, 02:24 PM

Re: Just to add to the ease

Did u guys notice better fuel mileage after changing new ones? if so i'm going to do it also..
Old 01-14-2003, 02:36 PM

Easiest way to change Fuel Filter ? ............

have small hands
Old 01-14-2003, 04:01 PM

Originally posted by Stillnmax
Easiest way to change Fuel Filter ? ............

have small hands
i called the dealer today and they told me it cost $49 to change the gas filter (with the filter).

i might just take it to the dealer, it's just to cold to be messing with the car and the gas.
Old 01-14-2003, 04:07 PM
I'm needing a caw

One thing. Ain't no way I'm climbing under the car w/ just the maxima oem flimsy jack. I recommend maybe just driving onto some ramps from the get go.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:45 PM
chrisco

Re: Re: Re: Easiest way to change FUEL Filter

Originally posted by 97GLES
i called the dealer today and they told me it cost $49 to change the gas filter (with the filter).

i might just take it to the dealer, it's just to cold to be messing with the car and the gas.
Go to the dealer. The only reason I did my own is that I'd already bought and opened the filter along with the fact that I'm a stuborn S.O.B. Next time I'm going to have the dealere do it.

Old 01-16-2003, 01:40 AM

Well, after several posting and reading I figured out the easiest way to change Fuel filter.
Many people try from top or bottom, taking out the air box component, strut bar, getting cuts on their hands, hard to pull out the hose, etc.

Well, after some thinking, it only took me 15 minutes to change the fuel filter without taking any airbox assembly, not cutting hands, with no gasoline spill. The solution?

From the side wall.

First turn the handle all the way to the right, and pull the fuel pump. The car will stall. Reach from the top and take the hose off from the engine block. Do not take the hose off from the fuel filter since this is very hard. The top hose that connects to the engine block is much easier. Then put some kink of cotton ( other method) to conver the hole of the hose to prevent spilling of gas. Drop the fuel filter down.
Get the jack equipment from your trunk and jack up the left from side of the car. Make sure that you have turned the from wheels all the way to the right. Take off fron left wheel.

Now if you look inside of fender, you will see fuel filter that you dropped from the top. Take of bottom hose. It is very easy to take off since you have ample space to work with and with two hands! Yes you can use TWO HANDS. Prior to taking the bottom hose from the filter, place some paper towels for the gas that comes out from the fuel filter. Note, if you have closed the upper hose, then gas spill is minimized.

Now you have fuel filter with upper hose. Take it off and put the new filter back. Following the reverse order.

It is piece of cake. If you notice, it is much much easier this way. Note that I have ABS brakes and I did not take any component apart from the engine bay but only the front left tire.

Now we know that changing fuel filter should not take at max more than 30 minutes!!!
Easiest way to change the filter?......
Take it to your shop, maybe not the easiest on your pocket book but it is the easiest way.
Old 01-16-2003, 07:47 AM

the hardest part about doing min ewas gettin the bottom hose off, after that it was 2min to swap out.

Ant
Old 01-16-2003, 09:00 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

whe you do it yourself, over a light-colored towel, cover both ends with your fingers and shake, then pour out the remains onto the towel. You can see how dirty it was in there that way. ew.

Small hands don't always help...it took me a good 20 minutes to go in from the top. I will try the bottom next time (soon).
Old 01-16-2003, 12:24 PM

Or you could just use a Panel Popper with a long reach.

Did it on ebmrogan's I30 - just pop-twist, pop-twist.

Literally took 5 minutes from start to finish. No jacking the car up, no small hands needed.

(ebmorgan is 6' 5" and weighs 250lbs, and his hands are bigger than my head)

I have preached about Panel poppers as hose removers over and over - do a search.

IanS
Old 01-16-2003, 12:58 PM
tofst4uvette

i guess you need those little rice fingers to get to the clamps

Old 01-16-2003, 02:43 PM
I'll kill you. I mean it

"The car will stall."

Last time I cheked your car is not supposed to be running while changing the fuel filter.
Old 01-16-2003, 03:19 PM

What? Jack the car up and take the wheel off?? I'd rather get cut! Twist and pull, twist and pull!

From the side wall.

Old 01-16-2003, 07:38 PM

Originally posted by 1eyedcalibandit

"The car will stall."

Last time I cheked your car is not supposed to be running while changing the fuel filter.
\

Did you happen to notice that he's suggesting that you run the car before you perform the fuel filter change?

Originally posted by tofst4uvette
i guess you need those little rice fingers to get to the clamps
That is not needed here.
Old 01-16-2003, 08:51 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Easiest way to change FUEL Filter

Originally posted by chrisco

Go to the dealer. The only reason I did my own is that I'd already bought and opened the filter along with the fact that I'm a stuborn S.O.B. Next time I'm going to have the dealere do it.
Come on guys don't be so wimpy . Go to Autozone and buy a replacement fuel filter for around $10 and then do it yourself. No you don't have to jack up the car. Just unbolt the air filter box and throttle body or Mavi ( the thing attached to the air filter) then you can easily get in to the fuel filter. If the lines don't come off easily then take pliers and twist. BTW, Chiltons recommends that you first remove the fuel pump fuse and run your engine till it dies. That way you remove fuel from the lines....less fuel to spill. It's easy, it gets you in touch with your car and best of all it's a lot cheaper than taking it to the dealer. $49 to change the fuel filter WOW! Do it yourself in the spirit of Daniel B! It's easy, anyone can. Save $30 bucks and buy something for Max....leather cleaner, tire and trim dressing, some new wash mitts, how about an "Absorber towel" or better yet some engine degreaser and dressing! You can do it, I know you can.
Cheers
Old 01-16-2003, 09:32 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Easiest way to change FUEL Filter

(M)iddle (A)fghan (V)ariable (I)ntake?

I had to jump on it before someone else did.

Originally posted by zagato27

Just unbolt the air filter box and throttle body or Mavi ( the thing attached to the air filter) then you can easily get in to the fuel filter. Cheers
Old 01-16-2003, 10:47 PM
I'll kill you. I mean it

Re: Re: Re: Easiest way to change FUEL Filter

Originally posted by NightRider
\

Did you happen to notice that he's suggesting that you run the car before you perform the fuel filter change?

That is not needed here.
No I didnt notice he said anything like that, actually I re-read the post three times looking for that and still I dont see where he suggests running the car before changing the fuel filter, all he said was the car will stall when changing it., btw hyuin001 have fun changing your filter with a fully presurized fuel system!
Old 01-17-2003, 02:05 PM

removing the tire is so time consuming. At least it is for me w/my floor jack. I also don't trust the jack in the trunk...only used in extreme emergencies.

I don't like the idea of pulling the hose while the car's running. FSM says to have the car off, remove fuel pump fuse, and crank 3x. That works for me!

No problems taking the filter out from the top. Make sure you put a lil lube on the nipples before putting the hoses back on.

Jae
Old 01-17-2003, 10:21 PM

Ok guys, It has been long since I have written.
FIsrt I did not mean pulling the fuel pump but the fuel pump fuse. It is my mistake. While the car is running, pull out the fuel pump fuse. The call will stall. If you happen to read "how to change fuel filter", "almost" everybody knows that you have to depressuarize the fuel system by taking out the fuel pump fuse.

It was my mistake to leave the word "fuse" out.

Also, if you have ABS, you will understand. It seems like people who have car without ABS does not understand how difficult it is to change from the top.

If you do not want to go under the car to change the fuel filter, IMHO changing it from the left side of the wheel is the easiest. You will have much better space to work with with front left tire off. However it is still manageble to work with the front left tire turned all the way to the right side and jacking up the front left side of the car. I personally prefer to take off the front left tire and work since I need ample space to work.

I hope I have clarified all the questions and doubts.
Old 01-17-2003, 10:26 PM

Damn, am I drunk or what? Please note that pulling out the fuel pump, the CALL will not stall but the CAR will stall. If you see more mistypes, just try to understand the context. =)
Old 01-17-2003, 10:40 PM
I'll kill you. I mean it

Ok guys, It has been long since I have written.
FIsrt I did not mean pulling the fuel pump but the fuel pump fuse. It is my mistake. While the car is running, pull out the fuel pump fuse. The call will stall. If you happen to read "how to change fuel filter", "almost" everybody knows that you have to depressuarize the fuel system by taking out the fuel pump fuse.

It was my mistake to leave the word "fuse" out.

Also, if you have ABS, you will understand. It seems like people who have car without ABS does not understand how difficult it is to change from the top.

If you do not want to go under the car to change the fuel filter, IMHO changing it from the left side of the wheel is the easiest. You will have much better space to work with with front left tire off. However it is still manageble to work with the front left tire turned all the way to the right side and jacking up the front left side of the car. I personally prefer to take off the front left tire and work since I need ample space to work.

I hope I have clarified all the questions and doubts.
Well, If I was you, Id watch what I say, ur on a board that lots of different types of people read, I know that if I didnt have any mechanical skills and the expierence of this board and others like it then I might just read a post like yours and figure you know what your doing.
But infact gave me the wrong instructions I damaged my own car. Personally, I dont really know of anyone that changes their fuel filter from the bottom of the car. But you can do what ever you like, IMO just delete your original post or kill this thread all together mods.
We dont want any newb's reading his post on keeping the car running while changing certain parts of the fuel system. But it is ok to pull the fuse and depressurize it

BTW, it isnt hard to change the fuel filter from the top even if you have abs, im speaking from my own personal experience, it takes all of five min. to change the fuel filter. Twist and pull.
Old 01-17-2003, 11:23 PM

Did anyone even read my post, or am I just on ignore mode?

I30 = ABS = Panel popper = easy as ***.

Old 01-19-2003, 09:34 PM

Originally posted by iansw

Did anyone even read my post, or am I just on ignore mode?

I30 = ABS = Panel popper = easy as ***.

My solution to the fuel filter change dilemma has been to relocate the fuel pump bracket to the back of the driver's side strut tower (for automatic cars only since the clutch cylinder occupies this space on 5-speed vehicles) and extend the length of the fuel hose's that attach to the fuel filter.

Now, When I want to change the filter, I pull the fuel filter out of the bracket and pull the fuel filter above the entire engine bay to easily remove the hoses with both hands free of anything being in the way.

It works great! I love it!

White96MaxSE