4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

what is the best intake for an auto?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2002, 12:42 AM

what is the best intake for an auto?

I have been putting off getting an intake for sometime now because i just don't know which one is best suited for my auto. I have it narrowed down to the frankencar, injen, prcai, weapon-r, or warpspeed. I think i might get the injen because it seems to be the best of all worlds. Pleez help me
Old 06-27-2002, 01:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: what is the best intake for an auto?

Originally posted by infinit30t
I have it narrowed down to the frankencar, injen, prcai, weapon-r, or warpspeed.
You have two choices:

1. PR CAI w/ Frankencar Option

2. Search

- -
Old 06-27-2002, 01:03 AM

Re: Re: what is the best intake for an auto?

Originally posted by Linkage23

You have two choices:

1. PR CAI w/ Frankencar Option

2. Search

- -
Thanks but no thanks. I wouldn't ask before i searched buddy, i just wanted some fresh info thats all.
Old 06-27-2002, 01:17 AM

CAI
Old 06-27-2002, 01:20 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

have you considered OSCAI w/ Frankencar midpipe? I think that would do wonders for low+high end. Connect a 3'' tubing from the box (get rid of that small ram-air portion) down to the bottom of the car.

Just a thought. I tried it, but doesn't do too well with a 5-speed...
Old 06-27-2002, 05:30 AM

Frankcar Intake.
Old 06-27-2002, 09:47 AM
Sports Button FTW

i seriously don't see a difference between auto and manual as far as intakes are concerned...my opinion is you will get the same results from both...if u were saying what intake gives best result, then i would say the CAI...as far as the different CAI's are concerned it seems to be the same thing except the filter and probably fitment...i have the CAI and although i scratched my pipe's a few times trying to fit everything in properly, it still fit....i think they are all the same as far as CAI's are concerned and regular intakes (except that one which has a box of air and is electric or something ) but i think your concern should be the filter u prefer and the fitment issues they may have....

i believe warspeed is cheapest but also takes longest to get so its up to u what u prefer...just my 2 peso's
Old 06-27-2002, 10:12 AM

I wonder if they're all the same. It's really just a pipe with a filter on the end. I wonder this also when people talk about their y-pipes. People always said get cattman, get stillen, don't get... etc. etc. Now some of the expensive pipes are having problems such as leaks in the flex section or bad customer service. I have a warpspeed y on my car, and it works great. Now that I think about it, I wouldn't mind having a budget. I think that these cold air intakes are not necessarily going to be significantly different from one another.
Old 06-27-2002, 12:40 PM

A Vortech SuperCharger is a great Intake.

Old 06-27-2002, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by meccanoble
i seriously don't see a difference between auto and manual as far as intakes are concerned...my opinion is you will get the same results from both...if u were saying what intake gives best result, then i would say the CAI...as far as the different CAI's are concerned it seems to be the same thing except the filter and probably fitment...i have the CAI and although i scratched my pipe's a few times trying to fit everything in properly, it still fit....i think they are all the same as far as CAI's are concerned and regular intakes (except that one which has a box of air and is electric or something ) but i think your concern should be the filter u prefer and the fitment issues they may have....

i believe warspeed is cheapest but also takes longest to get so its up to u what u prefer...just my 2 peso's
Auto's feel a low end lag with the pop charger and high end loss with the CAI. Plenty of people have dynos to prove that the power curves are different for both.

The FrankenCar Intake give no losses, actually gives better throttle response and more power.
Old 06-27-2002, 01:31 PM

How would a FrankenCar Intake (which uses hot air), be better in the low-end and high-end than a CAI? And, how come a CAI losses high-end but gains low-end?
Old 06-27-2002, 02:38 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

what brands of CAI are there? cheapest but very good for a max? any out there?
Old 06-27-2002, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by korupter
How would a FrankenCar Intake (which uses hot air), be better in the low-end and high-end than a CAI? And, how come a CAI losses high-end but gains low-end?
The reason the CAI lags at high end is it's long pipe and large bend. The air is slower to get there at high speeds because of this, whereas in low-end the air is always plentiful in the pipe because of the speed you are driving at.
-Cyrus
Old 06-27-2002, 02:47 PM

Don't even bother with an intake for a Automatic they are way too slow.

Put on a body kit and a Honda muffler and make it sound fast.
Old 06-27-2002, 03:17 PM

thanks

Originally posted by Vyrus

The reason the CAI lags at high end is it's long pipe and large bend. The air is slower to get there at high speeds because of this, whereas in low-end the air is always plentiful in the pipe because of the speed you are driving at.
-Cyrus
thanks for the info. This question is sort of killing me too. My friends keep telling me to get a CAI, but they don't own maximas.
Old 06-27-2002, 03:36 PM

Originally posted by korupter
Who said it uses hot air? When you're driving the air that enters the throtlebody is colder than you'd expect. I drove from Boston to NYC a couple of weeks ago and everytime I stopped, I checked to see how cool the midpipe was and it was way cold to the touch. The temps that day was around 85 degrees and humid. The velocity of the air makes the are colder when moving through the midpipe.

Trust me on this, anyone that knows me around here knows I've had my car for over 2 years and used to ask a lot of questions about the CAI and Pop chargers. I just waited because I knew something would come along. DMBMaxima88 created the FrankenCar intake and I'll never switch to another intake. On the 2k2's, this intake gives them around 10 extra HP.
Old 06-27-2002, 03:38 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: what is the best intake for an auto?

I have been putting off getting an intake for sometime now because i just don't know which one is best suited for my auto. I have it narrowed down to the frankencar, injen, prcai, weapon-r, or warpspeed. I think i might get the injen because it seems to be the best of all worlds. Pleez help me
To answer your questions, a Stillen/Vertech SuperCharger is, by far, the best intake for your auto.
Old 06-27-2002, 03:43 PM

actually i don't think that a supercharger is good for an auto, but thats just what I've heard. It supposedly wears out the engine and tranny much faster.
Old 06-27-2002, 06:04 PM

Once again, completely agree with Deezo. I never really wanted an intake because every mod I will ever do can always be brought back to stock form (Didnt want to drill the hole in the fender). When I went to the June 9th Mega-meet, last thing I expected was to come back with an intake but since the deal was a score (The guy that won it in the raffle already had a PRCAI, so he let me have it at a fraction of the retail price) and then a bunch of the guys (Mainly 190HP Kila) installed it for me. I never expected to get such huge gains. The growl at WOT is simply unreal. So rich and deep, makes it sound like a high performance sports car. As for the butt dyno I feel at least 10 HP. As an example, I lined up with a 2K2 G20 5 speed with a K+N drop in, before the intake it was actually close at some point before I started to take over, but now, it looked like he was standing still, instantly about 10 car lengths. Just to give you guys an idea, there was also a 2k1 I30 which stays with the G20 till 60 and then starts to walk away. They both said all they heard was "Growl, chirp, growl and I was just gone. The car is now just a monster, I'm strongly considering a Y-Pipe.

I also highly recomend the Frankencar intake. One of its best qualities is also that you simply cant tell I have it unless I'm at WOT and thats really what I love the most. Crazy sleeper effect.
Old 06-27-2002, 06:36 PM

Did you mean the aluminum tubing of the intake being the midpipe? The only place if heard referece to midpipe is with exhaust and if you put your hand on that aftr driving you would probablr burn yourself. Plus I would doubt a non CAI would produce a cold pipe as the only cooling would come from the moving air which in turn would be heated back up by the extremely hot engine bay as heat moves from warmer to colder
Old 06-27-2002, 07:53 PM

Originally posted by ladeesman
............Plus I would doubt a non CAI would produce a cold pipe as the only cooling would come from the moving air which in turn would be heated back up by the extremely hot engine bay as heat moves from warmer to colder
Well, those of us that have the intake have the facts. The air is cooler than outside temps when it enters the throttlebody.
Old 06-27-2002, 11:08 PM

Originally posted by deezo
Who said it uses hot air? When you're driving the air that enters the throtlebody is colder than you'd expect. I drove from Boston to NYC a couple of weeks ago and everytime I stopped, I checked to see how cool the midpipe was and it was way cold to the touch. The temps that day was around 85 degrees and humid. The velocity of the air makes the are colder when moving through the midpipe.

Trust me on this, anyone that knows me around here knows I've had my car for over 2 years and used to ask a lot of questions about the CAI and Pop chargers. I just waited because I knew something would come along. DMBMaxima88 created the FrankenCar intake and I'll never switch to another intake. On the 2k2's, this intake gives them around 10 extra HP.

how many HP does the frankencar intake give 4th gens???
Old 06-27-2002, 11:54 PM

Originally posted by Jime

What ever bro,
Old 06-28-2002, 05:57 AM

Originally posted by SlowJoeMax

how many HP does the frankencar intake give 4th gens???
We don't know yet because I haven't done the dyno. We'll know soon enough tho.
Old 06-28-2002, 06:59 AM

I used to have a hybrid intake(similiar to the Frankencar intake). Now I have the PR CAI. I think for an auto, the CAI is better. In my experience, the hybrid intake was best for highway, and the CAI was better suited for the street/track. I ran a bit faster at the track with a CAI than with the hybrid intake. The CAI is louder too.
Old 06-28-2002, 09:49 AM

How about homemade air intake. I really like mine. It has huge intake (original K&N intake). I still get cold air from stock air ducts plus battery "wall" that separates from engine to the air intake. The size is more or less twice or more bigger than what normal users use. It has curved duct that has big diameter plus it is made of plastic for better heat isolation.

As far as performance, I can feel much stronger than stock box. Sounds really good when full gas. However it is very quite when driving normally. You really hear air sucking in with full gas, though. I don't know if it lags low end RPM since I really don't see any difference with stock, even though it is hard to measure. My guess is that cold air that goes through stock air duct helps somewhat plus the location of the filter that is separated from the engine and fan.

Follow this thread: or on subject "Huge home made intake"

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=132012
Old 06-28-2002, 10:31 PM

question...the cai pipes...if you put your hand on the pipes are they suppose to be cold or hot....because i've felt one after turned the engine off and the pipe was hot...
Old 06-29-2002, 04:00 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

actually i don't think that a supercharger is good for an auto, but thats just what I've heard. It supposedly wears out the engine and tranny much faster.
Yeah, and I've heard that driving fast wastes more gas, and modding your car in general lowers the resale value, and taking turns fast wears out your tires faster, and stopping hard wears out your brakes faster, and...
Old 06-30-2002, 10:54 PM

Re: :o)

Originally posted by ptatohed

Yeah, and I've heard that driving fast wastes more gas, and modding your car in general lowers the resale value, and taking turns fast wears out your tires faster, and stopping hard wears out your brakes faster, and...
Haha! thanks a lot A$$hole!
Old 07-01-2002, 07:53 AM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: :o)

Haha! thanks a lot A$$hole!
Hey, take it easy, I was just playing with you.
Old 07-01-2002, 09:05 AM

yea this intake thing ever since the frankencar came out has been buggin me...ive always loved the thought of having a colder air running through my throttle to my engine, thats why ive always wanted the CAI, i knew it gives a good low end gain but i never thought it gave a high end LOSS...now im considerably thinking about the frankencar or sum kinda CAI hybrid...sum1 said about a CAI w/frankencar option? how does that work? that sounds the coolest to me...can i get a frankencar intake of sum sort that has the cold air induction properties of a CAI, or a CAI that has the frankencar output of even distribution throughout the dyno curve?? i dont want to experience the high end loss even tho im gettin a y pipe which i know gives good high end gain. Ive heard that the CAI is more for street/track use, but is it NOT good on highway?? i do alotta city/hwy combined driving and do drive hard but i dont go to the track or any kinda dragstrips, occasionally race from a light if a contender pulls up next to me...so wut can i get with the options available out there and from wut i want??
Old 09-18-2002, 12:14 AM

Dyno Results

Originally posted by deezo
We don't know yet because I haven't done the dyno. We'll know soon enough tho.
Did we ever get the dyno's in for the auto 4th gen?
Old 09-18-2002, 12:27 AM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=152274
Old 09-18-2002, 02:10 AM
MAX

Excellent advice. What i should have done.

I have an injen intake and love it so far over the jwt pop I used to have, if you still care. Jime is right though, auto's are just too slow unless you're boosted or using cheater gas.
Old 09-18-2002, 02:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Poor advice. Some of the fastest Maxima's on this board are autos.

-Sryth...
__________________________________________________ ____________________________
'98 SE 5spd, Pebble Beige, PRCAI, Stillen Y, Stillen FSTB, ACT clutch.
Pacesetter STS to be installed this week!
Old 09-18-2002, 03:03 AM
MAX

Originally posted by sryth

-Sryth...
True, but none of them N/A
Old 09-18-2002, 08:35 AM

-Sryth...
He's joking. He's got an auto.
Old 09-18-2002, 09:49 AM

-Sryth...
Wanna race my Auto?

Old 09-18-2002, 05:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by iansw

Wanna race my Auto?

I would, but you're way over in WA!

-Sryth...
Old 09-18-2010, 05:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

dude the fastest maxima right now is an auto

Quick Reply: what is the best intake for an auto?