4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Thread guidelines - How to properly create and name your thread. Noobs please read

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2002, 06:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thread guidelines - How to properly create and name your thread. Noobs please read

People please ... be more descriptive in your subject titles.

"cone intake"

"red/clears"

"suspension"

"emblems"

"help"

"exhaust"

"vq30de"

"Hid"

"need info"

"need help"

These are not subject titles ... these are isolated words.

Describe the main problem/question/comment in the subject line ... please! If you are asking a question, use a "?" mark at the end of your thread title.

Don't type one or two words and make the rest of the Org try to guess what you're trying to say.

And of course, this extends to the main message. Please be as descriptive as possible.

This is getting very annoying. I don't care how important your topic is, make sure the thread title is something better than QUESTIONS, HELP ME, OMG LOOOKZ.
This has already been covered in the stickies, but no one reads them...

So please be kind to everyone and make a useful thread topic.

Failure to have a descriptive thread title may warrant your thread being closed.

Last edited by The Wizard; 06-25-2020 at 06:11 PM.
Old 06-05-2002, 05:37 PM

How about we implement a new rule:

Less than 3 words in your subject title, and your thread gets locked.

Vague thread titles get locked too.

Examples:
"So how do you.....?"
"So what do you think about....?"

I'm not trying to be mean or anything but it's kind of annoying trying to play the guessing game with people's threads. I don't know if I will click on a thread and be able to help or not. I'm sure many other people feel the same way.

If your thread gets locked, start a new one and try to post the problem/comment/question in the title.

Discuss.
Old 06-05-2002, 06:06 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

Clee, I could not agree with you more! That is my biggest pet peeve around here!! That is a great idea. Gosh I hate:

"Brakes"
"Check this out"
"Is this a good price"
"Look what I bought today"
"Does anyone here..."
etc.

Thanks Clee!!!!
Old 06-06-2002, 07:11 AM

We'll try this for a week ... see what happens. I don't feel good about locking newbies posts but if it gets the point across...

Again ... I am not trying to be mean. If there are complaints or suggestions ... post them up people. Also, because the moderators are not on 24/7 a thread or two might slip by. Don't get huffy and puffy if they do. We aren't robots and can't be online all the time.
Old 06-06-2002, 08:46 AM
I'm so hood

Ahh, the ever-challenging job of a popular public forum moderator...

I agree on the descriptive subjects wholeheartedly. However, the "how do you..." and "What do you think about..", etc, etc, posts...
Really, there's no perfect way to structure/admin a forum in my eyes that sees a lot of public traffic....especially something like a car forum. You can try to separate forums for topical reasons (ie, off-topic, opinions, car audio, electronic help, engine help, etc), but people don't like to have to root through 100 different specific topic-defined forums...and then a lot of forums wouldn't get traffic and everyone would congeal to a few anyway.

At the same time, if you just specialize the topic to the level of "4th-gen maxima", what is and isn't out of bounds is going to be horribly vague. If it's between this and an off-topic board, anything that's even slightly related to a 4th-gen maxima is going to get posted on the 4th-gen maxima board, even if that means "Wut do U think about theeze RIMS I juss got 4 my 4th gen MAXIMA????"
If it was between a "General 4th-gen Discussion" board and a "Technical 4th-gen discussion" board, that might help separate some of the "I need help" posts from the "I'm at work all day and like to talk about my car in general" posts...but it would still be difficult.

There's always problems like this on a forum, but I think that shouldn't mean the mods should start going around locking out all posts because a couple mods/people think the board should just be for experienced gearheads and people looking for help working under the hood/car, etc. I mean, you don't have to root through the opinion/chatty kinds of posts, and people looking for help can use the search function, etc.

I definitely agree on the subject line though, and also staying close to the discussion going on in the current thread, among a few other common rules of forum etiquitte. Nobody ever stated that this board
was for assistance in working with/on the car only though.

hehe...I think what forums really need is a script that converts the growingly-popular |337 5p34k into normal text. I mean, really, do people need to abbreviate words like "you" and "know" and "to" and "for" by one or two letters? ..."But it's so coooooool!"
Old 06-06-2002, 09:04 AM
Licensed to Spell

Originally posted by blizz20oma
Ahh, the ever-challenging job of a popular public forum moderator...

I agree on the descriptive subjects wholeheartedly. However, the "how do you..." and "What do you think about..", etc, etc, posts...
Really, there's no perfect way to structure/admin a forum in my eyes that sees a lot of public traffic....especially something like a car forum. You can try to separate forums for topical reasons (ie, off-topic, opinions, car audio, electronic help, engine help, etc), but people don't like to have to root through 100 different specific topic-defined forums...and then a lot of forums wouldn't get traffic and everyone would congeal to a few anyway.

At the same time, if you just specialize the topic to the level of "4th-gen maxima", what is and isn't out of bounds is going to be horribly vague. If it's between this and an off-topic board, anything that's even slightly related to a 4th-gen maxima is going to get posted on the 4th-gen maxima board, even if that means "Wut do U think about theeze RIMS I juss got 4 my 4th gen MAXIMA????"
If it was between a "General 4th-gen Discussion" board and a "Technical 4th-gen discussion" board, that might help separate some of the "I need help" posts from the "I'm at work all day and like to talk about my car in general" posts...but it would still be difficult.

There's always problems like this on a forum, but I think that shouldn't mean the mods should start going around locking out all posts because a couple mods/people think the board should just be for experienced gearheads and people looking for help working under the hood/car, etc. I mean, you don't have to root through the opinion/chatty kinds of posts, and people looking for help can use the search function, etc.

I definitely agree on the subject line though, and also staying close to the discussion going on in the current thread, among a few other common rules of forum etiquitte. Nobody ever stated that this board
was for assistance in working with/on the car only though.

hehe...I think what forums really need is a script that converts the growingly-popular |337 5p34k into normal text. I mean, really, do people need to abbreviate words like "you" and "know" and "to" and "for" by one or two letters? ..."But it's so coooooool!"

I have absolutely no idea what you just said.
Old 06-06-2002, 09:54 AM
I'm so hood

In a nutshell....said "vague thread title" threads shouldn't necessarily get locked, ie:

"So how do you.....?"

Those don't sound like "vague thread titles" as much as they sound like titles of threads containing general/vague discussions about something in particular.
And if it's the general discussion that's really what's not well-accepted by mods like Clee, then....well, my other post explains that.

I get verbose explaining things, sorry. Most people don't like that tendency....usually only other mellowed out philosophy nuts like me talk that way. Goes to show you what can happen if you do too much LSD in your high school days
Old 06-06-2002, 10:58 AM
Licensed to Spell

In a nutshell....said "vague thread title" threads shouldn't necessarily get locked, ie:

"So how do you.....?"

Those don't sound like "vague thread titles" as much as they sound like titles of threads containing general/vague discussions about something in particular.

I disagree blizz. They sound very vague to me. How do you do WHAT?! What do we think about WHAT?! They should fill in the blanks.

Ex.
"So how do you remove rotors?"
"So what do you think about Weapon R intakes?"

That way it is more clear for everyone. If someone has no interest in brakes or intakes they can pass on by, if someone is interested, they can go into the thread. When the thread titles are undescriptive, it makes it harder for everyone.
Old 06-06-2002, 11:42 AM

Well ... my point isn't to lock thread that don't pertain to 4th gen Maximas.

I'm just talking about vague subject titles. I don't particularly like locking threads because I know some people post and then sign off and come back half a day later. But it's only to find out that their question wasn't answered because I locked it.

And on top of that, it's just more babysitting and work for me and mzmtg.

But for a while, it looked like the entire first page was filled with three word subject titles. It was like a "Who can come up with the shortest vaguest title" contest.

I'm not exactly thrilled about locking people's posts based on their subject title alone, but something has to be done.

When someone posts a subject title liked "suspension" ... I don't know if I'll be reading about how he finished putting on his new springs and likes the ride (something I don't really need to know) or if he's asking about what what springs to put on (something I can give him links to).

Likewise, the annoying, "PLEASE HELP - I NEED HELP NOW!! NOWWW!!!" subject titles with the message inside saying: "How do you guys like the popcharger?" kind of threads are extremely annoying as well.

Me and mzmtg talked a little bit and we both decided to try this way for a little while - a week or so. I realize that there will be newbies coming in and they'll eventually post up the three word subject titles. But I've noticed some regular posting members using the three word subject titles and they should know better.

I'm just trying to make it easier for people to sort through what posts they want to read and not have people try to guess what's inside the thread.
Old 06-06-2002, 12:32 PM
I'm so hood

I thought it was inferred that the [...] blanks were filled with something, but that even with a specific subject, the discussion over the item was kind of vague. Like a "lets have an opinionated discussion" kinda thread about certain things. I thought clee meant that there was going to be more locking on those types of threads now. I think I read it a bit wrong.

I think you guys (clee and mtmzg) are doing the right thing on the vague thread titles. Hopefully people will learn quickly that way.

The mods here overall do a lot better of a job than on the other forums I've frequented (with both less and more traffic than here).
Not to mention since I've popped back on, I haven't gotten one "busy" screen - sweet!
Old 06-06-2002, 01:38 PM
Licensed to Spell

I thought it was inferred that the [...] blanks were filled with something, but that even with a specific subject, the discussion over the item was kind of vague.

No! I am pretty sure that Clee meant just that. That the "..." is litterally there in the thread title. I see it all the time! It drives me nuts:

"So how do you.....?"
"Does anyone here know..."
"You have to check this out..."
"How often should I..."
"Is this a good price..."

Etc., etc., etc.
Old 06-07-2002, 09:51 AM

I think that you are doing more........

More Newbie hating.
Old 06-07-2002, 09:55 AM

Dude!!

You locked this thread?????
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=126367

You have got to be kidding me!

You said LESS THAN 3 words, not three words or less!

THIS IS A PERFECTLY LEGITIMATE POST!!

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!

This is representative of your level of maturity apparently!
Old 06-07-2002, 10:16 AM

re: Thread guidelines - How to properly create and name your thread. Noobs please read

Originally posted by clee130

"cone intake"

"red/clears"

"suspension"

"emblems"

These are not subject titles ... these are isolated words.

Describe the main problem/question/comment in the subject line ... please!

Don't type one or two words and make the rest of the Org try to guess what you're trying to say.

And of course, this extends to the main message. Please be as descriptive as possible.
I think that's a good idea Clee. I also think any threads about "what's the best, y-pipe, intake, exhaust" + "where can I get them" should be locked as soon as they're noticed. The 4th Gen forum has been plagued with these threads for some time now.
Old 06-07-2002, 10:24 AM
Licensed to Spell

Originally posted by fst96se
Dude!!

You locked this thread?????
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=126367

You have got to be kidding me!

You said LESS THAN 3 words, not three words or less!

THIS IS A PERFECTLY LEGITIMATE POST!!

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!

This is representative of your level of maturity apparently!

DUDE, he already gave you many examples of what he will be locking. All you did was place a noun in your title. Vague. O.k., so your 'noun' happened to be 3 words long, but the idea is the same. Examples given include:

"cone intake"

"red/clears"

"suspension"

"emblems"

Do you see how "Fuel Pressure Regulator" is the exact same thing? Were you asking a question of where to buy? How often to change it? Giving advice? Giving an experience? Your title was vague.
Old 06-07-2002, 10:50 AM

Re: :o)

Originally posted by ptatohed

Do you see how "Fuel Pressure Regulator" is the exact same thing? Were you asking a question of where to buy? How often to change it? Giving advice? Giving an experience? Your title was vague.
It wasn't my thread, I just thought it was silly.
Old 06-07-2002, 10:50 AM

Re: I think that you are doing more........

More Newbie hating.
Not so ... I lock everyone's posts ... not just newbies.
Old 06-07-2002, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Clee,

great idea man. I've been surfing this site for quit some time now and am sick of the vague subject lines too.
Old 06-10-2002, 08:06 AM

I dunno about everyone else, but everytime i create a new thread i think to myself first, "If i was searching for this thread, what would be a good name to call it."

for example

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=114817

or

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=102046

In a sense people should be thinking about themselves when they create a thread. I name the thread in a way that i know if i searched for it, i would find it, so i'm sure others would also. I don't know if that's the right way of doing it, but it makes more sense than nameing a thread "Rotor problem" which is not descriptive. Something like "Car vibrates when stopping. Rotor problem?" or "Why is my car vibrating when stopping"

anywho...
Old 06-11-2002, 11:10 AM

good point
Old 06-12-2002, 01:05 PM

OH NO!!! (Threadlock is at it again!!)

The threadlockers are out in force!!

WOw, how does it feel to have such power!?

ok, there is a thread titled "start up hesitation". It gets locked, but if said "I have start up hesitation" it would be fine. Hmmmm.

Same with "Bose speaker question." A perfectly legitimate post in my opinion. I guess it should have read "I have a bose speaker question."

Come on Moderaters (specifically clee130), let decent posts stay. Quit the power trip.

I know this will get locked, but people need to read it. It is happening just in the 4th gen forum, so this is where this thread needs to be.

If you delete this thread, however, it will show your level of maturity!
Old 06-12-2002, 03:21 PM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Re: OH NO!!! (Threadlock is at it again!!)

The threadlockers are out in force!!

WOw, how does it feel to have such power!?

...blah blah blah...

If you delete this thread, however, it will show your level of maturity!

IMO, reading between the lines, I think you want some yourself.
Old 06-12-2002, 03:45 PM

Final response.

I've decided not to continue this policy.

And it's certainly not because of a couple of e-thugs who are crusading against the moderators or our policies.

I tried to do something to help everyone out. In fact, several members liked the idea of locking/deleting vague threads. Perhaps I am less cynical than some other moderators and believed that members would be willing to help out other members.

Obviously, I was wrong. Several members went out of their way to ridicule the rule and post in threads saying, "Oops, ibtl" and other childish things of that nature.

But the simple fact is that we don't have the time to keep an eye out for each thread and it in fact alienates newbies rather than helping them. Another fact is that I obviously can't force everyone to use proper grammar and sentence structure. Too bad.

One member PMed me and said that the more mature members would understand where newbies are coming from and would continue to help dispite vague titles.

And I would like now to thank all those who continue to visit the forum and continue to answer questions in a mature fashion.

So far as this matter for me is concerned, it's closed.

mzmtg may feel otherwise and may continue to lock posts ... so ... from now on, blame him.
Old 06-12-2002, 03:48 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

mzmtg may feel otherwise and may continue to lock posts ... so ... from now on, blame him.
Feel free to blame me for anything you like
Old 06-12-2002, 08:44 PM

great rule
Old 06-12-2002, 10:46 PM

Clee,
I did not realize that you merged my thread with this one. My thread instantly dissapeared the minute that I posted it, and there was nothing to show me that it went anywhere but into oblivion....I appreciate you letting me know in another thread that it was here. Of course I didn't "search" for it, I tried to find it again by usinf my back browser function, and it kept telling me that I was chasing an invalid thread.....

That is why I jumped all over your case in another thread, and I appologize for that.
Old 06-18-2002, 05:57 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

sorry did I miss something. I thought you were going to delete/lock 3 word subject titles?

Do you mean that the person who wants information has to look for it????????

Honestly..I thought about it today (not to much in the brain housing group) I did ask repetitive questions, but damn people ask the same question in one from or another about every 2 days. Just cause it's not on page 1 they ask.

Guess I am just cranky.

Oh well.

Sorry for the rant clee.
Old 06-18-2002, 08:29 PM

Again, I think people should be naming there threads after something they think they could search for and find information on...

if i did a search for "suspension noises" or something like that, and it returned me "suspension" as a thread title, i wouldn't bother clicking on it. To me it's not descriptive enough.

This website is like a large database of information. To be able to access this information in the future, you should ideally name the thread titles something that you can search for later on. If the thread title was "suspension noise" and i was looking for something similar, i would click on it.

Small thread titles are rediculous in my opinion... you can't do anything with them later on. Lock em/ rename em... or what not, wouldn't bother me.
Old 06-18-2002, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by multiplexor
BTW clee.... nice sig ;-) the unknown girl is now on the org hehe
I second that ... who's the girl?
Old 06-19-2002, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by pocketrocket

I second that ... who's the girl?
no one knows really for sure... thus she is called "Unknown Girl"

Old 06-20-2002, 09:41 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Me tinks shes kinda cute tho
Old 06-21-2002, 06:38 AM

PLease keep it on topic ppl.

If you want to talk about the unknown girl, start a new thread ...

so then I can lock it.
Old 06-21-2002, 07:17 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Is this the longest subject line...."What is this ... who can create the shortest subject line contest?" I dont know if that part of the subject or just the opposite, but I had to ask.....
Old 06-24-2002, 08:18 PM
Licensed to Spell

re: Thread guidelines - How to properly create and name your thread. Noobs please read

"cone intake"

"red/clears"

"suspension"

"emblems"

Clee,
First, I haven't noticed you taking any action about this. I noticed the first week you were locking some threads but I haven't seen any since. I thought it was a good idea and you should enforce it.

Second, although I agree with your examples above, I don't think they capture the problem of the unclear thread titles entirely. Length is kind of irrelevent. For instance, I'll take "Code 0904?" (2 words) any day over "Need to know where I can get this!" (8 words). Although "suspension" is terrible, it's the ones that are completely undescriptive that drive me nuts. Here are some (of many) I have observed the last two days:

"How does $11.5 sound?"
"I managed it!!!!!!"
"i think i messed up"
"WTF is going on?"
"which one would be better?"
"My Baby!!!!"
"Guess where I am "
"Welcom"
"what is the world coming to?"
"maxima.org"

Please continue your locking of threads that have worthless thread titles. I really think it is a good idea. Thanks.
Old 06-25-2002, 07:38 AM

Re: Re: What is this ... who can create the shortest subject line contest?

Originally posted by ptatohed

Clee,
First, I haven't noticed you taking any action about this. I noticed the first week you were locking some threads but I haven't seen any since. I thought it was a good idea and you should enforce it.

Second, although I agree with your examples above, I don't think they capture the problem of the unclear thread titles entirely. Length is kind of irrelevent. For instance, I'll take "Code 0904?" (2 words) any day over "Need to know where I can get this!" (8 words). Although "suspension" is terrible, it's the ones that are completely undescriptive that drive me nuts. Here are some (of many) I have observed the last two days:

"How does $11.5 sound?"
"I managed it!!!!!!"
"i think i messed up"
"WTF is going on?"
"which one would be better?"
"My Baby!!!!"
"Guess where I am "
"Welcom"
"what is the world coming to?"
"maxima.org"

Please continue your locking of threads that have worthless thread titles. I really think it is a good idea. Thanks.
If he has the time, I would agree, I thought it was a great idea.
Old 06-25-2002, 08:34 AM

Mzmtg and I decided not to continue the policy.

It was too much "work" to babysit the forums everyday and lock threads with vague titles. I also felt it alienated newbies rather than help them.

I realize that vague thread titles are a pain in the a$$, but I can't "force" people to have better grammar and create more descriptive titles.

Until the majority of the forum comes to their senses (ha!), we will unfortunately always have vague subjects and there's not much we can do about it.

One thing I suggest is putting a short request at the beginning of your post for threads in which you answer a technical question. Something along the lines of:

"Next time, please be more descriptive in your subject line. "How do I install a knock sensor" is more descriptive than "knock sensor question".

This is how you install the knock sensor ....."

Sometimes people get the message, sometimes not.
Old 06-27-2002, 06:07 PM
Master Will

some people will do this on purpose because they see you are talking about it in other words "spite" or just because to make people(moderators) mad to get the thread locked or whatever...you are the moderator you do what you must use your power....we all make mistakes and no one here ever "skipped" newbie and went straight to needs Non-Maxima friends....
Old 06-28-2002, 08:04 AM
Licensed to Spell

Mzmtg and I decided not to continue the policy.

It was too much "work" to babysit the forums everyday and lock threads with vague titles. I also felt it alienated newbies rather than help them.

I realize that vague thread titles are a pain in the a$$, but I can't "force" people to have better grammar and create more descriptive titles.

Until the majority of the forum comes to their senses (ha!), we will unfortunately always have vague subjects and there's not much we can do about it.

One thing I suggest is putting a short request at the beginning of your post for threads in which you answer a technical question. Something along the lines of:

"Next time, please be more descriptive in your subject line. "How do I install a knock sensor" is more descriptive than "knock sensor question".

This is how you install the knock sensor ....."

Sometimes people get the message, sometimes not.
Old 07-18-2002, 08:30 PM

You guys should relax. Forums are supposed to be a friendly place for people to exchange information. After getting flamed by moderators each time I post a perfectly normal question, this doesn't feel like fun anymore. And that's what it all should be about. Don't you agree?
Old 07-19-2002, 01:40 PM

How about requiring subjects to be questions?

OK, how about asking everyone to post their subject as a question? That should encourage everyone to be more descriptive. Or, instead of asking "Post subject", change it to "Post question".

Rex