4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How can I maximize the value of my wreck?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2002, 12:11 PM

How can I maximize the value of my wreck?

My insurance company wants to total my car and give me $5,500. They are not going to fix it, nor give me fair market value for my parts, a list that tops $12,500 in value alone. They will sell me the car; however, I don't have garage/storage facilities, tools, know-how, time, nor inclination to part it out piece-meal.

If I buy it back, I will have to sell it "lock, stock and barrel" to one individual immediately. And I am concerned about being ripped-off by a dirt-bag buyer.

There is *NOT* enough money at stake to hire a lawyer. And no lawyer would take this case on contingency, as the potential pay-off on this case is relatively low. (There's no injury component!)

I'm confused about what to do. Could you make some suggestions that may clarify the situation for me a little? Thank you as always.
Old 06-15-2002, 12:20 PM
pro

Will you be able to save all the parts or were some of them damaged?
Good Luck,
Paul
Old 06-15-2002, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by pro
Will you be able to save all the parts or were some of them damaged?
Good Luck,
Paul
As far as I can tell, the *only* casualty among the aftermarket stuff was a front tire, which was cut in the crash by the fender. That's it.
Old 06-15-2002, 12:38 PM

Do you still have your stock parts?

If I where you I would canabilize all the A/M parts put the stock parts back on and sell the car back to a junk yard.

Even if you do not have the stock parts might as well canabilize the car for as much as you can then sell it to a junk yard the only problem being the tires.

As for the lawyer simply hire one to write a letter that should at the very least get them to bump up the car value.
Old 06-15-2002, 01:02 PM
Keven97SE

Re: How can I maximize the value of my wreck?

You could probably sell the transmission alone for $1000-1500 since it has the Quaiffe. Perhaps perform a swap with someone locally for that price.

Originally posted by bullseye
My insurance company wants to total my car and give me $5,500. They are not going to fix it, nor give me fair market value for my parts, a list that tops $12,500 in value alone. They will sell me the car; however, I don't have garage/storage facilities, tools, know-how, time, nor inclination to part it out piece-meal.

If I buy it back, I will have to sell it "lock, stock and barrel" to one individual immediately. And I am concerned about being ripped-off by a dirt-bag buyer.

There is *NOT* enough money at stake to hire a lawyer. And no lawyer would take this case on contingency, as the potential pay-off on this case is relatively low. (There's no injury component!)

I'm confused about what to do. Could you make some suggestions that may clarify the situation for me a little? Thank you as always.

Old 06-15-2002, 05:55 PM

Re: Re: How can I maximize the value of my wreck?

Just curious, how many miles on your car. Thats rough - only $5500 for your car? How much are they going to charge you to buy it back?
Old 06-15-2002, 06:15 PM

Re: Re: Re: How can I maximize the value of my wreck?

Originally posted by Pappa Grande
Just curious, how many miles on your car. Thats rough - only $5500 for your car? How much are they going to charge you to buy it back?
It has 194,000 miles on it, but the car is in great mechanical shape. Of course, the sheet metal up front is another story since my wreck.

I took great care of this car. The interior is in excellent shape. It performed like a champ. Most of the maintenance and aftermarket installations were done by an SAE-certified Mechanic at the Nissan Dealership! I had broken/worn parts replaced in a timely fashion. The battery, alternator, starter, and clutch have all been replaced or upgraded within the last 18 months. I've used synthetic motor oil in it since it turned over 50,000 miles. It passes a required smog check every year with flying colors. It doesn't leak or drip any fluids.

I can buy it from my insurance company for $1600, but like I said, I am not really able to part it out. I guess all I can do is take off what I can, and let the rest of it go to the junk yard...

Want to buy a car...?
Old 06-16-2002, 01:04 AM
Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac. Prounced Ii-eee-ack.

1600!!!!!

I buy the car off of you for 1600. Man, that is a total rip off if all they are willing to pay you is 5500 for your max. I wish you the best of luck.