4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Intake Fan...Seriously

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2002, 03:23 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Intake Fan...Seriously

Seriously, if air intake is so helpful, why doesn't someone just take a high-powered 12V motor fan and connect it straight into their intake pipe? You could create some major air pressure straight into your engine.
Old 05-22-2002, 03:25 PM
I'm needing a caw

Seriously, think about that for a minute.
Old 05-22-2002, 03:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It takes a lot of electrical power to run a motor like that, you could drain your battery and the gain would be very negligible in terms of CFM... a turbo or supercharger would be a much better way to accomplish boost...

On a similar note... If cold air is so helpful, why not hook up something between your intake and A/C - so the incoming air is really cold all the time? I'm sure there's a simple answer but I'm not really a mechanical person... I guess nitrous would be a better way to acquire the added HP...
Old 05-22-2002, 03:38 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You can buy a little cpu fan that runs off 12V and puts out 38-50CFM. Would that make any difference? And could the ecu adjust to the extra added air mixture?
Old 05-22-2002, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by bigd480
It takes a lot of electrical power to run a motor like that, you could drain your battery and the gain would be very negligible in terms of CFM... a turbo or supercharger would be a much better way to accomplish boost...

On a similar note... If cold air is so helpful, why not hook up something between your intake and A/C - so the incoming air is really cold all the time? I'm sure there's a simple answer but I'm not really a mechanical person... I guess nitrous would be a better way to acquire the added HP...
You probably answered your question in the first paragraph (kinda). It would take a very big compressor to put out enough cold air (cfm wise) to satisfy the engine.
Old 05-22-2002, 07:43 PM

If you want something drastic try this:
snow blower from sears(600cfm) $129
some tubing from local speed shop(home depot) $20,
relocate battery to the trunk
put the blower with modified fuel tank and exhaust under hood.
work out million other details.
Having boost when standing at red lite=priceless.
Old 05-22-2002, 07:52 PM
FJC

or how about renting a midget, strap him under your hood, and have him blow into the intake whenever you go WOT?
Old 05-22-2002, 08:21 PM

This idea has been explored. There is an electric supercharger on the market that says it creates 3psi of boost. Daniel B. Martin did a research project on this. Our conclusion is that from the provided information from various electrical blower companies that the technology is there to create an electric blower that would create a 9-12 psi boost for our maximum consumption. The problem is it would have to have a 12inch blades or would cost 15k and would last about 9 months of everyday use. Also, you mentioned a CPU fan... do this math, 3.0 litres x 6500 thats your maximum consumption for one minute. I believe its like approximately 19k litres of air to equalize the vacuum in your intake. Now remember you have to create positive pressure so you'll have to increase that to 3-12 psi to make it worth your while.

Good luck, great idea but about 15 years too early.
Old 05-22-2002, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by FJC
or how about renting a midget, strap him under your hood, and have him blow into the intake whenever you go WOT?
Old 05-22-2002, 10:33 PM

Or even better, get one of those bicylce air compressors and some how rig it up to your intake, and it would something like Nitrous hehe
Old 05-23-2002, 06:06 AM

The electrical supercharger is not a good idea because there is no such thing as a 100% efficient machine. Power will always be lost from the conversion of mechanical energy to elecrical and viceversa.

You have probably heard of the new technology in hybrid cars were a battery is charged while the car is downshifting or braking and this battery is later used to move an electrical motor while accelerating again. Now, I know this is easier said than done but, What if an assembly like this is used also to create boost? We'll probably have to wait until some of this prototypes reach production, get used up and end in junkyards to test this.
Old 05-23-2002, 07:32 AM

Ok, this is just an idea, but I saw this on TV. It's a small plastic fan powered by it’s own battery supply (9-volt battery. This fan is connected to an insulated box, perhaps ¾ size of our car battery. Well, this box was filled with dry ice and once the fan is turned on, it draws air over the dry ice and out the fan which, when pointed at something, would instantly cool an object down. It was used on TV to keep regular ice from melting when “misted’ by this contraption.

Now, I don’t know where to get dry ice and I don’t know where to get this simple contraption, but what if someone were to put this little thing in their engine bay, connected to a switch on their dash and turned on when desiring to cool down their under-hood temps at the track? Even mist the intake with 0 degree air to bring intake temps down? hmmmm

Obviously, it has A LOT of short comings….but just an idea.
Old 05-23-2002, 08:57 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

I'm not familiar w/ what's under the Maxima's hood yet cuz i don't pick up my car till next week... but aren't there ways to use piping a system that as ure driving, cold air from underneath the car will be pushed into the piping and in front of ure intake opening... sorry i'm a newbie at this. I'm sure this can be accomplished, my main question is that, if there is enough room for it, and has someone tried this before and had any success or probs w/ it?? thanks
Old 05-23-2002, 09:29 AM

Re: Intake Fan...Seriously

Originally posted by jt151
Seriously, if air intake is so helpful, why doesn't someone just take a high-powered 12V motor fan and connect it straight into their intake pipe? You could create some major air pressure straight into your engine.
You mean like this? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1828942706
Old 05-23-2002, 09:44 AM

Re: Re: Intake Fan...Seriously

Originally posted by darksands

Weird!!!! people actually bid on this?
and whats up with the 48 volt battery pack...
Old 05-23-2002, 10:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I got this.

Originally posted by nadir_s
I'm not familiar w/ what's under the Maxima's hood yet cuz i don't pick up my car till next week... but aren't there ways to use piping a system that as ure driving, cold air from underneath the car will be pushed into the piping and in front of ure intake opening... sorry i'm a newbie at this. I'm sure this can be accomplished, my main question is that, if there is enough room for it, and has someone tried this before and had any success or probs w/ it?? thanks
I had a PR CAI and added piping to extend it down so the filter sits directly behind my cut-out foglight hole. I used a Ractive filter with the heat shield so the heat shield directs the air into the filter. Seems to help a little on the highway, but thats all. I can'tdrive my car in the rain though, unless I cover the foglight hole with duct tape.
Old 05-23-2002, 11:32 AM
rmb

Originally posted by nadir_s
Lots of folks have done this with all kinds of cars/engines.

The problem is if you suck up water into the intake you are completely screwed. One big puddle, suck up a bit of h20 into the cylinder. Intake valve closes. Piston comes up at ~800mph. Water doesn't compress well, at all actually....... Bang.... thump thump thump.

Not worth the hassle in my opinion....

-RMB
Old 05-23-2002, 02:32 PM
starcruzer

Re: Re: Intake Fan...Seriously

Originally posted by darksands

What happened to the Maxima's battery? Doesn't this contraption sit right where the 12V battery used to sit??

Old 05-23-2002, 02:43 PM

Re: Re: Re: Intake Fan...Seriously

This is one of the funniest threads I've read in ages
There is one way to force air into the engine for a noticeable hp gain. It's called a supercharger!

I couldn't figure out whether the PC fan suggestion was a stroke of genius or plain stupidity, but I'll take the former since it made me howl...
Old 05-23-2002, 04:54 PM
syc

Re: Re: Re: Re: Intake Fan...Seriously

Originally posted by davey6693
This is one of the funniest threads I've read in ages
There is one way to force air into the engine for a noticeable hp gain. It's called a supercharger!

I couldn't figure out whether the PC fan suggestion was a stroke of genius or plain stupidity, but I'll take the former since it made me howl...
?? you think people on this board don't know supercharger and PC fan. you know the disadvantage of the supercharger? You know the advantage of using the electric fan? And you think it's funny?

eletric fan theory is really good idea (just not for today's technology)
Old 05-23-2002, 08:00 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Intake Fan...Seriously

Originally posted by syc

?? you think people on this board don't know supercharger and PC fan.
Erm, where did I say that???? Still looking......
I'm not here to wind anyone up. All I dissed was the PC fan, and I also said in the end that I believed it to be a joke (it says former, not latter). I said nothing about electrical fans in general.

Originally posted by syc

you know the disadvantage of the supercharger? You know the advantage of using the electric fan? And you think it's funny?
eletric fan theory is really good idea (just not for today's technology)
Actually while I think about it, if there is going to be a great electric fan idea (and I have no doubts that SLC is right in that this IS physically feasible), where's the current going to come from? If it's not from a VERY heavy duty battery (impractically heavy) or solar (no chance) then it's from the engine. Of course a supercharger uses engine power, but so would a high-powered alternator, which would then go on to lose further energy when converting back from electrical energy to mechanical energy. I don't think the technology will ever merit a *practical* electric fan idea for this reason.

Don't get me wrong, half this thread is thought-provoking too, and it's cool when people think outside the lines.
Old 05-24-2002, 06:34 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Intake Fan...Seriously

Originally posted by davey6693

Erm, where did I say that???? Still looking......
I'm not here to wind anyone up. All I dissed was the PC fan, and I also said in the end that I believed it to be a joke (it says former, not latter). I said nothing about electrical fans in general.

Actually while I think about it, if there is going to be a great electric fan idea (and I have no doubts that SLC is right in that this IS physically feasible), where's the current going to come from? If it's not from a VERY heavy duty battery (impractically heavy) or solar (no chance) then it's from the engine. Of course a supercharger uses engine power, but so would a high-powered alternator, which would then go on to lose further energy when converting back from electrical energy to mechanical energy. I don't think the technology will ever merit a *practical* electric fan idea for this reason.

Don't get me wrong, half this thread is thought-provoking too, and it's cool when people think outside the lines.
Actually when we proposed this idea to the electric blower manufactureres the schematics included the use of only 1 12V battery. The use of light weight metals and gears was how they proposed to create the velocity needed to obtain the PSI's needed for the system to work. The other problem we had was to create an RPM based PSI flow curve (so that you have the 3 psi at 6500rpms) that was going to be pretty expensive in its own right. You can laugh at the idea, it does seem funny if you don't really stop to think about it. But then again I'm sure many people laughed at B Franklin for flying a kit during a thunderstorm.
Old 05-24-2002, 08:34 AM

any of these stupid mods....i mean why didnt nissan come out with this if they knew it would increse HP? they're not stupid it just wasnt meant for the car or it would probably harm it
Old 05-24-2002, 08:55 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Intake Fan...Seriously

Hey, thanks for posting SLC. Once again, I'm not laughing at the idea, what's funny about this post are the midget/bicycle pump/PC fan posts (I should have made that more clear).

In no way am I saying that this is not possible, my point is whether it will ever be more efficient that superchargers driven directly.

How much current would that fan be drawing? It would be quite large wouldn't it? If you're recharging the extra battery from the alternator, then frequent gunning is going to kill the battery and you'd have to drive around for a while not able to use it (a directly driven s/c is available on demand). If you add another alternator, you're losing overall as explained above. If you're charging it from an outlet at home, that would work but then you'd have limited life before a recharge.

I wish nuclear wasn't so dangerous sometimes.. Imagine, no emissions, no gas, fast as hell, but nuclear outfall whenever you crash
Old 05-24-2002, 10:05 AM

Originally posted by iregula
any of these stupid mods....i mean why didnt nissan come out with this if they knew it would increse HP? they're not stupid it just wasnt meant for the car or it would probably harm it
Well I dont think that the Vortech supercharger is made by nissan- creates more hp. Hmmmm, lets see 90% of engine mods are not made by Nissan but they didn't make them and they increase hp. So what were you tryig to say? Do you think nissan didn't know that the crimp in our B pipes wasn't constricting air flow? Thats a nissan mod for you. The manufacturer doesn't always put the most HP potential into a car when it designs it. Look at the Variable Intake that it put into almost every other Maxima it made except the US Spec.

My conclusion is that NISSAN didn't put these into their cars because from we could find it would cost about 15k to put one in that ran on a 12v powersource and it would only have a couple year life expectancy. Similar blower systems are supposedly used in the space program to re charge compressed air banks on space vehicles. (according to popular mechanics) I don't know too much about that, just the blurb I read in an article.