4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Remotes - won't work, not usual suspects... where is sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2002, 09:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Remotes - won't work, not usual suspects... where is sensor?

I have a 97 GLE with the two original remotes and they have been fine for 6 months and now they both don't work - I've tried new batteries, and reprogramming many times and I get nothing. When I try to reprogram, the hazards flash after I do the key thing but nothing happens when I press Lock on the remote (I tried in ACC and ON positions many times).

Where is the remote sensor located?
How can I tell if my remotes are still transmitting something?

Thanks
Old 05-13-2002, 11:11 PM

Re: Remotes - won't work, not usual suspects... where is sensor?

There is a box in the trunt next to where the antenna is at... you have to remove the cover and you will see a metal box just unplug it and plug it back in.. it might work

Originally posted by bigd480
I have a 97 GLE with the two original remotes and they have been fine for 6 months and now they both don't work - I've tried new batteries, and reprogramming many times and I get nothing. When I try to reprogram, the hazards flash after I do the key thing but nothing happens when I press Lock on the remote (I tried in ACC and ON positions many times).

Where is the remote sensor located?
How can I tell if my remotes are still transmitting something?

Thanks
Old 05-14-2002, 01:01 PM

Re: Re: Remotes - won't work, not usual suspects... where is sensor?

Found it, unplugged it, replugged it, reprogrammed - still no go... It doesn't do anything when I press the button on the remote... I really don't want to take it to the dealer, how much is a new keyless entry unit (the one in the car, not the remote) ?

Originally posted by MigthyMax
There is a box in the trunt next to where the antenna is at... you have to remove the cover and you will see a metal box just unplug it and plug it back in.. it might work
Old 05-14-2002, 01:11 PM

Re: Re: Re: Remotes - won't work, not usual suspects... where is sensor?

Found it, unplugged it, replugged it, reprogrammed - still no go... It doesn't do anything when I press the button on the remote... I really don't want to take it to the dealer, how much is a new keyless entry unit (the one in the car, not the remote) ?

I bought a 95gxe and got a remote for it on e-bay about 3 weeks ago, I do not want to take it to a dealer to have it programmed [$33.00].

How do I reprogram it to my max?

Old 05-14-2002, 01:17 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Remotes - won't work, not usual suspects... where is sensor?

Too lazy to post the link - do a search for "reprogram"

Originally posted by bbrown

I bought a 95gxe and got a remote for it on e-bay about 3 weeks ago, I do not want to take it to a dealer to have it programmed [$33.00].

How do I reprogram it to my max?

Old 05-14-2002, 02:24 PM

Help me too please!! I have the same problem......

I lost my remote for keyless entry..
I was on here about a month ago and saw that there was something on doing the labour for connecting your remote to the car yourself.. When I talked to a guy at the dealership he asked me why I was going to do the labour, and asked if I had the $9000 machine that does it? that's bull****.. He said it would cost around $90 labour, and I'm already paying around $80 for the remote.. Yes I've already spent about an hour looking for the post on how to connect it yourself, but I had no luck finding it..
Please help!!

Thanks
-Chris
Old 05-14-2002, 02:26 PM

Re: Help me too please!! I have the same problem......

Originally posted by Chris96SE
I lost my remote for keyless entry..
I was on here about a month ago and saw that there was something on doing the labour for connecting your remote to the car yourself.. When I talked to a guy at the dealership he asked me why I was going to do the labour, and asked if I had the $9000 machine that does it? that's bull****.. He said it would cost around $90 labour, and I'm already paying around $80 for the remote.. Yes I've already spent about an hour looking for the post on how to connect it yourself, but I had no luck finding it..
Please help!!

Thanks
-Chris
you're spending 80 bucks on the remote?...you can get it so much cheaper on places like ebay, and to reprogram it, just look in the 4th gen FAQs, it should be there..also, what are you trying to reconnect?, if you just lost the remote, the receiver is still there, just reprogram the new remote
Old 05-14-2002, 02:29 PM

here, i'm feeling generous

Click Here to Learn how to reprogram your remote
Old 05-14-2002, 02:45 PM

that's cool - now how about helping me out:

how do I figure out if it's my receiver that's broken or the transmitter - without using another car?
Old 05-14-2002, 02:58 PM

that's cool - now how about helping me out:

how do I figure out if it's my receiver that's broken or the transmitter - without using another car?
ok, if both remotes did not work before you unplugged the receiver, and you tried new batteries and reprogrammed in BOTH remotes, it most definitely could be the receiver...although i'm not too knowledgeable about this keyless entry stuff, did you try both remotes with new batteries and newly reprogrammed after unplugging and resetting the receiver?
Old 05-14-2002, 03:05 PM

I tried one remote w/ a new battery after unplugging/resetting the receiver... it didn't work... will check other tonight...

BTW, I just called a nissan dealer who frequents the org and he quoted me $468 for the receiver...

Originally posted by 97BlackMax

ok, if both remotes did not work before you unplugged the receiver, and you tried new batteries and reprogrammed in BOTH remotes, it most definitely could be the receiver...although i'm not too knowledgeable about this keyless entry stuff, did you try both remotes with new batteries and newly reprogrammed after unplugging and resetting the receiver?
Old 05-14-2002, 03:11 PM

I tried one remote w/ a new battery after unplugging/resetting the receiver... it didn't work... will check other tonight...

BTW, I just called a nissan dealer who frequents the org and he quoted me $468 for the receiver...

I'm sure the receiver is pretty expensive...but if you're gonna spend that much on a keyless entry system, you might as well get an awesome aftermarket alarm with its own keyless entry, and you'd get so much more for the price
Old 05-14-2002, 03:20 PM

I agree - I'm just ****ed that it just broke out of nowhere - I really kinda like it - may get one from a junkyard or something...

I'm sure the receiver is pretty expensive...but if you're gonna spend that much on a keyless entry system, you might as well get an awesome aftermarket alarm with its own keyless entry, and you'd get so much more for the price
Old 05-15-2002, 06:28 AM

fixed it - I went to examine the sensor in the trunk and just for the hell of it unplugged the phone-cord looking thing and the power harness and plugged them both back in (previously I just did the smaller one). Went back and tried to reprogram it and it works fine. Hope this experience helps someone else
Old 05-15-2002, 08:03 PM

here, i'm feeling generous

Click Here to Learn how to reprogram your remote
Thanks a lot 97BlackMax! Very appreciated.

-Chris
Old 07-16-2002, 05:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the help. My Max was doing the exact same thing, even went to ebay and bought two new remotes. Then I saw your post and they now work. Just unplug then reprogram.....What would I do without you guys
fixed it - I went to examine the sensor in the trunk and just for the hell of it unplugged the phone-cord looking thing and the power harness and plugged them both back in (previously I just did the smaller one). Went back and tried to reprogram it and it works fine. Hope this experience helps someone else
Old 07-16-2002, 06:26 AM

Originally posted by Volman3
Thanks for the help. My Max was doing the exact same thing, even went to ebay and bought two new remotes. Then I saw your post and they now work. Just unplug then reprogram.....What would I do without you guys
spend $468 dollars at the dealer
Old 07-16-2002, 06:29 AM

remote for gxe

I have the 95/GXE, which max do you have?
Old 07-16-2002, 06:55 AM

this thingy you guys plugged and and unlpugged is it the thing in the right side of the trunk?

Kevin
Old 07-16-2002, 08:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Keyless Entry

Open the trunk on the right side where the antenna is, pull the side panel down should have two plastic screws/mounts. The module is right behide there. It has two plugs one looks kind of like a phone plug.
Originally posted by Kevin
this thingy you guys plugged and and unlpugged is it the thing in the right side of the trunk?

Kevin
Old 07-17-2002, 06:39 AM

Re: Keyless Entry

Open the trunk on the right side where the antenna is, pull the side panel down should have two plastic screws/mounts. The module is right behide there. It has two plugs one looks kind of like a phone plug.

I have been looking for this module device on the right in the trunk of my maxima to unplug. Is it in the same location on a 1995? Was looking last night and could not find it. HELP!!
Old 07-17-2002, 11:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Keyless Entry

My car is a 95 SE. The module is right beside where the power antenna is inside the trunk. You will need to pull the cloth/card like panel down.

I have been looking for this module device on the right in the trunk of my maxima to unplug. Is it in the same location on a 1995? Was looking last night and could not find it. HELP!!
Old 07-17-2002, 11:49 AM

Re: Re: Re: Keyless Entry

My car is a 95 SE. The module is right beside where the power antenna is inside the trunk. You will need to pull the cloth/card like panel down.

I pulled that cloth like thing down and I can see the power antenna, but I do not have anything next to it, I can see the harness connector but there is nothing to connect it to. I was all up in my trunk looking for this thing. Do you know if the gxe came equipped with the remote?
Old 07-17-2002, 11:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Re: Re: Keyless Entry

I was assuming you had keyless entry to begin with. It sounds like you do not. The least expensive way for you to have keyless entry is to buy or have an after market security system installed that includes the keyless entry. All you need is power door locks. Cost in my area is about $149 depending on how elaborate you get.

I pulled that cloth like thing down and I can see the power antenna, but I do not have anything next to it, I can see the harness connector but there is nothing to connect it to. I was all up in my trunk looking for this thing. Do you know if the gxe came equipped with the remote?
Old 07-31-2002, 09:19 AM

Okay how about this one. Before I try unplugging and reprogramming, I replaced my battery and my remote still works half *** in my '97 SE. If you hold it it will roll the windows down, and I can sometimes lock the doors, but thats about it. It will once in a while unlock the driver door.

What could my problem be? Are my remotes beat?
Old 08-03-2002, 10:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I would first replace the battery in the remote(2 bucks at Walmart). If this does not fix it go to ebay and buy a remote. I bought one new for about $20.
Originally posted by Bernie Lomax
Okay how about this one. Before I try unplugging and reprogramming, I replaced my battery and my remote still works half *** in my '97 SE. If you hold it it will roll the windows down, and I can sometimes lock the doors, but thats about it. It will once in a while unlock the driver door.

What could my problem be? Are my remotes beat?
Old 08-06-2002, 11:35 AM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

Re: Re: Help me too please!! I have the same problem......

you're spending 80 bucks on the remote
That's nothing, my dealer wants $125 for the remote
Old 10-17-2003, 12:42 PM
2060lbs and falling...

New weight saving ideas, removing keless stuff. JK LOL