4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Cleared out my tail lights today...thought it was a disaster!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2002, 06:47 PM

Cleared out my tail lights today...thought it was a disaster!

Well today I decided to jump into modding and clear out my tail lights since I'm still waiting for my intake & y pipe. The 1st tail light came apart pretty easy after heating (I used a blowdryer) but I thought the fluorescent clear piece wasn't fitting in that great (how do you keep it bended when you seal the light so it stays against the red lens at the edge?). I decided just to keep it since my girlfriend didn't even noticed and thought it looked good. Well I heat up and take apart the 2nd housing and craaaaaaaaaack. The corner of the lens cracked off I was so ****ed but finished anyways. After putting them both back together and superglued the broken piece I looked at them and was ****ed at myself, I wished I had never attempted it. I go out and put them on my car, take a step back and now I think it looks great. You can't see the crack at all, and the clear lens looks stock too! The only time you can tell is if you bend down and look directly at it from like a foot away...how often do people do that anyways. So in the end I am happy with my 1st mod and am looking to do many more
Old 06-09-2002, 08:33 PM

lol, your post doesn't match your title...

which one was it? happy overall or disaster? j/k

and glad you got this mod in, i'm planning to do it soon as well, once I pick up some of the flourescent cover...what did you use to cut the piece?

anyways, congrats on clearing them
Old 06-09-2002, 08:50 PM

i cleared mine out last month, and i thought did a fairly well job, better then actually buying a new pair, i cracked mine a bit as well, but i glued it back on, that hardest thing about making the tails is that opening the assembly and then cutting a piece which has a exact fit, i went through around 4 templates before i found a shape that fit perfectly, and then actually cutting the piece out wiht a dremel was hard, i kept on having to sand down the edges, but once again, better then paying 200 for a set
Old 06-09-2002, 09:08 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

I wussed out

I attempted to clear my amber out of my I30t this afternoon. I took the assembly out stuck it in the oven just like the directions said. While it was in the oven by brother called and told me he tried doing the some thing on his 94 Accord a few months ago and his corners melted in the oven!! I immediatly took my tail light out and put it all back. My bro probably had some bad directions but I scared the $hit out of me. I did not know I could use a hair dryer? That sound a lot easier and safer, I'll give it another shot next weekend.
Old 06-09-2002, 09:29 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

If anyone wants theirs cleared and are afraid to do it... mail me your tails + 40$ + shipping cost and I'll do them and send them back to you.. that is if your car can be out of comission for about a week.. i'll do them the same day i get them and mail them out.

[/lame advertisement]

seriously though,
i am not making much $ on this, the hassle and time consumption of doing these things + risk of breaking them + materials + hassle = me making very little. I just want to help people out a little bit. If you want good pics of my job, NYC GXE, itsgt both have some that I helped with.. I can send you pics if you want.. I have a reserved set of red/clear tails that are spotless and done perfect, I will ship them to you if I mess yours up.
In case anyone is interested

People in NYC / tri-state area... we can meet and do this.
Old 06-10-2002, 08:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: I wussed out

Originally posted by I30tMikeD
I attempted to clear my amber out of my I30t this afternoon. I took the assembly out stuck it in the oven just like the directions said. While it was in the oven by brother called and told me he tried doing the some thing on his 94 Accord a few months ago and his corners melted in the oven!! I immediatly took my tail light out and put it all back. My bro probably had some bad directions but I scared the $hit out of me. I did not know I could use a hair dryer? That sound a lot easier and safer, I'll give it another shot next weekend.
I have gone through the same thing, first on my 99 Max, then my 96 Accord, and now on my 96 I30 5spd. I wanna do it so bad, but nervous as heck. You know, the I30 tails are WAY easier to clear than the Max tails, just have to get the reflector out....but scary to open the tails up!
Old 06-10-2002, 10:44 AM

First of all he said "thought" it was a disaster.

Anyways...

The same thing happened to me. CRACK. ****ed. Glue. Ugly. Not so bad.

To add to it though, I got some glue on the outside of the lens and went to scrub it off and scratched it. So now there is a hazy mark on the corner where the red light is (i didn't replace the entire bottom with clear).