4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Timing Chain Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2002, 11:24 PM

Timing Chain Noise

I have a 97 SE with 86K miles. i am hearing some rattling chain like noise from the engine for the past few days. Could it be the timing belt needs replacement? Can it be tightened?
One of the dealers says it may cost $1000 to fix
Old 04-19-2002, 11:29 PM

You just said yourself

Its a timing chain, so why would the belts need to be replaced?

It rattles when you start the car
Old 04-20-2002, 09:00 AM

If you hear a chattering/clanking noise then its probably the Timing Chain. Pretty much when it makes noise, it means its time to replace it. Timing Chains usually dont have to be replaced at 60K miles unlike timing belts. When it making noise, the chain has had its limited and been streched.
Old 04-20-2002, 07:06 PM

Is your check engine light on?
Old 04-20-2002, 10:14 PM

Same ridiculous sound...how much to fix????

I've got that same sound man. One really bad sound is at start up , but it never lasts more than one or two seconds. I think somebody said that could be the starter. The other sound is I think the timing chain, but it seems to go away after the car has had plenty of time to warm up, about 10 minutes. It seems like the sound comes from the left side of the engine, where all of the belts are located. Ohh btw, for you quik fixers, it aint the oil anti-drainback valve in the oil filter. Cause I just replaced my oil filter w/ a Nissan OEM (with Mobil One Synthetic 5w30), and it's still doing both of the sounds.

So how much is a timing chain replacement, and is this the cause of the sound?? The nissan dealer here in GA said the timing chains on these early 4th Geners never need to be replaced. Some of yawl experts give us unexperienced guys some feedback and solutions, PLEASE!! Help Daniel B. Martin.
Old 04-22-2002, 05:10 PM

Re: Same ridiculous sound...how much to fix????

The Answer to Your Problem

What's causing your problem is not your starter but a common problem with our '95 Import Car of the Year and other Maximas: it's the timing chain tensioners. I have links that I could dig up for a TSB and some other info for this issue, if you're interested. Once the main tensioner loses tension it causes the chain to slacken and slap against the timing chain cover. The problem will worsen over time, possibly to the point of causing a timing chain failure, which would be catastrophic. On my '95, it started with just a momentary rattle during start-up lasting about 3-4 seconds, but eventually worsened. The second stage will create noise up until warm-up, but then disappear, and the final stage will exhibit timing chain slapping regardless of the climate or engine temperature. You can put your hand on the timing chain cover or even put your ear to it and easily notice the problem. I reached this last stage in late March and decided to perform the repair myself. It's usually more pronounced during the winter, but mine became so bad that the chain was regularly slapping the cover ever after warm-up. This job will cost you about $1300 from the dealer, only $200 is for parts. It's about a 15 hour job. I went ahead and replaced the water pump while I was down there because it's only $60. I just completed the work on my car two weeks ago. You can get an entire timing chain kit for $190, and it includes all three chains, tensioners and guides. You shouldn't have to replace the sprockets. Here's the site for the parts: www.thepartsbin.com

Originally posted by MercerMax
I've got that same sound man. One really bad sound is at start up , but it never lasts more than one or two seconds. I think somebody said that could be the starter. The other sound is I think the timing chain, but it seems to go away after the car has had plenty of time to warm up, about 10 minutes. It seems like the sound comes from the left side of the engine, where all of the belts are located. Ohh btw, for you quik fixers, it aint the oil anti-drainback valve in the oil filter. Cause I just replaced my oil filter w/ a Nissan OEM (with Mobil One Synthetic 5w30), and it's still doing both of the sounds.

So how much is a timing chain replacement, and is this the cause of the sound?? The nissan dealer here in GA said the timing chains on these early 4th Geners never need to be replaced. Some of yawl experts give us unexperienced guys some feedback and solutions, PLEASE!! Help Daniel B. Martin.
Old 04-23-2002, 06:45 PM
goldgary

noise

I think you might also check a small leak in your power steering hose.I had a lot of rattle because I lost power steering fluid.

When the car is cold, you hear a lot of noise. When the car is warmed up, it dissapears. If its a small leak, you may not notice it. Something eles to check out. Hope this helps.

Old 04-24-2002, 04:19 AM

Re: Re: Same ridiculous sound...how much to fix????

Originally posted by radiohead75243
The Answer to Your Problem

What's causing your problem is not your starter but a common problem with our '95 Import Car of the Year and other Maximas: it's the timing chain tensioners. I have links that I could dig up for a TSB and some other info for this issue, if you're interested. Once the main tensioner loses tension it causes the chain to slacken and slap against the timing chain cover. The problem will worsen over time, possibly to the point of causing a timing chain failure, which would be catastrophic. On my '95, it started with just a momentary rattle during start-up lasting about 3-4 seconds, but eventually worsened. The second stage will create noise up until warm-up, but then disappear, and the final stage will exhibit timing chain slapping regardless of the climate or engine temperature. You can put your hand on the timing chain cover or even put your ear to it and easily notice the problem. I reached this last stage in late March and decided to perform the repair myself. It's usually more pronounced during the winter, but mine became so bad that the chain was regularly slapping the cover ever after warm-up. This job will cost you about $1300 from the dealer, only $200 is for parts. It's about a 15 hour job. I went ahead and replaced the water pump while I was down there because it's only $60. I just completed the work on my car two weeks ago. You can get an entire timing chain kit for $190, and it includes all three chains, tensioners and guides. You shouldn't have to replace the sprockets. Here's the site for the parts: www.thepartsbin.com

Wow, good write up. I had trouble with my '95. At the time when my car was brand new, they (Nissan) didn't know what that noise was. They "believed" it was a timing chain issue. I was devistated! A car so new with a problem like this! I loved this car, but if it was going to go under major repair, I felt that I didn't want this car. Eventhough it was covered under warranty, who knows if it will cause any other future problems. I was very dissapointed with Nissan at this time. But, I kept the car and I'm going on 8 years now and haven't had any problems since then with the timing chain. It still makes an audible sound, but it's not as noticeable and loud as before. Other than that, the car is running like a charm. Over a 100,000 miles and still going strong. Getting ready to buy a 2002!
Old 05-07-2002, 07:55 AM

Similar problem

I am hearing what sounds like it could be my timing chain, but mine occurs when I shut my 95 down, its like the last thing I hear. But it isn't consistent, sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. I am trying to figure out a pattern. Do you guys think this is the chain as well?
Old 05-07-2002, 08:18 AM
Disco Biscuit

There is a cheap way to resolve this issue. Run Heavier weight oil. My mechcanic told me to stop using synthetic, and start running regular dyno oil, and bump up the weight to a 20 weight. He said the heavier oil will assist in building up pressure in the chain tentioner to work correctly. By doing this, I've gone for close to 30k miles since he told me and I dont usually get the noise.
Old 05-07-2002, 08:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The Nissan manual states that the thickest oil you can use is 10W30. That being said, for dino oil, I would stick to 10W30. If I want to go with synthetic, maybe a thicker synthetic, like Mobil 15W50 would be alright, because, at least it is somewhat in the range of 10W30, and, being synthetic, would most likely out-perform dino 10W30 anyway.

I've been running 10W30 semi synth mostly in my car. Car has 133K miles, bought it at 30K. My timing chain has never been troublesome. But then, maybe it's becasue mine's a 98, and Nissan may have worked out some kinks in the VQ for the later model years

DW

Originally posted by Whitemax
There is a cheap way to resolve this issue. Run Heavier weight oil. My mechcanic told me to stop using synthetic, and start running regular dyno oil, and bump up the weight to a 20 weight. He said the heavier oil will assist in building up pressure in the chain tentioner to work correctly. By doing this, I've gone for close to 30k miles since he told me and I dont usually get the noise.
Old 05-07-2002, 08:44 AM
rmb

Originally posted by Whitemax

Your mechanic is an idiot. Not only is that oil way too heavy for that engine at any ambient temperature, it could be downright catastrophic below 20 degrees or so on a cold startup...

You'll create tons more problems using this "workaround". Get a new mechanic.

-RMB
Old 05-07-2002, 08:53 AM
dot dot dot ...

Paid 1200 for my replaced chain, but that's with sprockets, chains tensioners and 635 in labor.