4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

T rated vs. H rated tires. Which?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2002, 12:05 PM

T rated vs. H rated tires. Which?

I have been using H rated tires on my 97 GLE but find that they wear quickly (I do a lot of highway driving 50-60 miles a day). I am planning on purchasing Yokohamas but found that the surveys for the T4's were much better than the H4's and the T4's have a UTOG of 420 compared to the H4's 360 rating. Tirerack overall reviews for the T4's was a 7.8 with the H4's receiving a 7.1. Treadwear was a big concern and the T4's treadwear lasted much longer according to the reviews.

Can I get some opinions on this?
Old 04-08-2002, 12:10 PM
I'm needing a caw

Speed Rating

P195/60R15 87S - The tire speed rating (S) is the maximum speed for which the tire is rated. For example, the “S” rating identifies speeds up to 112 mph (180 km/h).

It is important to note that speed ratings only apply to tires that have not been damaged, altered, under-inflated or overloaded. Additionally, most tire manufacturers maintain that a tire that has been cut or punctured no longer retains the tire manufacturer’s original speed rating, even after being repaired.

In Europe, where selected highways do not have speed limits and high speed driving is permitted, speed ratings were established to match the speed capability of tires with the top speed capabilities of the vehicles to which they are applied. Speed ratings are established in kilometers per hour and subsequently converted to miles per hour (which explains why speed ratings appear established at “odd” mile per hour increments). Despite the tire manufacturer’s ability to manufacturer tires capable of high speeds, none of them recommend the use of their products in excess of legal speed limits.

Speed ratings are based on laboratory tests where the tire is pressed (to reflect its required load) against a large diameter metal drum and run at ever increasing speeds (in 6.2 mph steps in 10 minute increments) until the tire’s required speed has been met.

Speed Rating - Miles/Hour - Kilometers/Hour - Typical Use N=87 MPH, 140km/h, Spare Tires U=124 MPH, 200km/h
P=93 MPH, 150km/h H=130 MPH, 210km/h, Sport Sedans
Q=99 MPH, 160km/h, Winter, LT Tires V=149 MPH, 240km/h, Sports Cars
R=106 MPH, 170km/h, LT Tires Z=149 MPH, 240km/h and over, Sports Cars
S=112 MPH, 180km/h W=168 MPH, 270km/h, Exotic Sport Cars
T=118 MPH, 190km/h Y=186 MPH, 300km/h, Exotic Sport Cars

*Today, the Z-speed rating is the only speed rating that is still branded “within” the tire size, as in P225/50ZR16. All other speed ratings are shown in the tire’s service description.

When Z-speed rated tires were first introduced, they were thought to reflect the highest speed rating that would ever be required. Since that time the automotive industry has found it necessary to add W- and Y-speed ratings (indicated in the tire’s service description) to identify the tires that meet the needs of new vehicles that have extremely high, top speed capabilities.
Miles/Hour Kilometers/Hour
P225/50ZR16 149+ 240+
P225/50ZR16 91W 168 270
P225/50ZR16 91Y 186 300

While all Z-speed rated tires are capable of speeds of 149 mph and above, prior to the W- and Y-speed ratings were identified in the service, how far above 149 mph was not identified.

Prior to 1991, the most popular speed ratings were “S,” “H” and “V.” However, while the speed capabilities of S- and H-rated tires still indicate the same speeds as before, the V-speed rating has been modified. Previously a V-speed rated tire with the “V” branded “within” the tire size indicated that the tire was capable of 130+ miles per hour as indicated below:
P225/50SR16 112 180
P225/50HR16 130 210
P225/50VR16 130+ 210+

Today’s new V-speed rated tires are always identified in the tires service description:
P225/50R16 91V 149 240
Old 04-08-2002, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Speed Rating

P195/60R15 87S - The tire speed rating (S) is the maximum speed for which the tire is rated. For example, the “S” rating identifies speeds up to 112 mph (180 km/h).

It is important to note that speed ratings only apply to tires that have not been damaged, altered, under-inflated or overloaded. Additionally, most tire manufacturers maintain that a tire that has been cut or punctured no longer retains the tire manufacturer’s original speed rating, even after being repaired.

In Europe, where selected highways do not have speed limits and high speed driving is permitted, speed ratings were established to match the speed capability of tires with the top speed capabilities of the vehicles to which they are applied. Speed ratings are established in kilometers per hour and subsequently converted to miles per hour (which explains why speed ratings appear established at “odd” mile per hour increments). Despite the tire manufacturer’s ability to manufacturer tires capable of high speeds, none of them recommend the use of their products in excess of legal speed limits.

Speed ratings are based on laboratory tests where the tire is pressed (to reflect its required load) against a large diameter metal drum and run at ever increasing speeds (in 6.2 mph steps in 10 minute increments) until the tire’s required speed has been met.

Speed Rating - Miles/Hour - Kilometers/Hour - Typical Use N=87 MPH, 140km/h, Spare Tires U=124 MPH, 200km/h
P=93 MPH, 150km/h H=130 MPH, 210km/h, Sport Sedans
Q=99 MPH, 160km/h, Winter, LT Tires V=149 MPH, 240km/h, Sports Cars
R=106 MPH, 170km/h, LT Tires Z=149 MPH, 240km/h and over, Sports Cars
S=112 MPH, 180km/h W=168 MPH, 270km/h, Exotic Sport Cars
T=118 MPH, 190km/h Y=186 MPH, 300km/h, Exotic Sport Cars

*Today, the Z-speed rating is the only speed rating that is still branded “within” the tire size, as in P225/50ZR16. All other speed ratings are shown in the tire’s service description.

When Z-speed rated tires were first introduced, they were thought to reflect the highest speed rating that would ever be required. Since that time the automotive industry has found it necessary to add W- and Y-speed ratings (indicated in the tire’s service description) to identify the tires that meet the needs of new vehicles that have extremely high, top speed capabilities.
P225/50ZR16 149+ 240+
P225/50ZR16 91W 168 270
P225/50ZR16 91Y 186 300

While all Z-speed rated tires are capable of speeds of 149 mph and above, prior to the W- and Y-speed ratings were identified in the service, how far above 149 mph was not identified.

Prior to 1991, the most popular speed ratings were “S,” “H” and “V.” However, while the speed capabilities of S- and H-rated tires still indicate the same speeds as before, the V-speed rating has been modified. Previously a V-speed rated tire with the “V” branded “within” the tire size indicated that the tire was capable of 130+ miles per hour as indicated below:
P225/50SR16 112 180
P225/50HR16 130 210
P225/50VR16 130+ 210+

Today’s new V-speed rated tires are always identified in the tires service description:
P225/50R16 91V 149 240
OK...What was your point?
Old 04-08-2002, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by maxnewbie

Reread it. The data he pointed out should help you pick which tire is for you. Not everything is a clear answer, somethings you have to read and figure out for yourself your driving conditions and habbits.

SuDZ
Old 04-08-2002, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by SuDZ

Reread it. The data he pointed out should help you pick which tire is for you. Not everything is a clear answer, somethings you have to read and figure out for yourself your driving conditions and habbits.

SuDZ
Like Denzel Washington would say "talk to me like I'm a six year old".

Keep it simple. I needed an opinion not a technical review of tire speed ratings (something that he already had in some cut and paste file).
Old 04-08-2002, 12:51 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

My opinion is that you should get the H-rated Bridgestone Potenza RE950 with a treadwear rating of 400.

They rock.
Old 04-08-2002, 01:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm sorry ... but I busted out laughing when I read this. Jeff searches and copies and pastes all that ... and maxnewbie didn't read a stitch of it.
Old 04-08-2002, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by clee130

I'm sorry ... but I busted out laughing when I read this. Jeff searches and copies and pastes all that ... and maxnewbie didn't read a stitch of it.
I busted out laughing when he posted all that info. I read it. I have read the same info at other manufacturer's tire sites as well. I was just looking for personal opinions of the two (T & H) rated tires. Simple and to the point. That's all.
Old 04-08-2002, 01:46 PM
I'm needing a caw

I just busted out period. Since I got the info in about 10 sec and someone who knew anything about tires, would not really be considering T rated if your oem tires are H rated.

If your car came with h-rated tires, good luck finding someone who will mount T rated tires.

I busted out laughing when he posted all that info. I read it. I have read the same info at other manufacturer's tire sites as well. I was just looking for personal opinions of the two (T & H) rated tires. Simple and to the point. That's all.
Old 04-08-2002, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
I just busted out period. Since I got the info in about 10 sec and someone who knew anything about tires, would not really be considering T rated if your oem tires are H rated.

If your car came with h-rated tires, good luck finding someone who will mount T rated tires.

Give me break! You still have not answered, in simple terms, what I can expect when driving with T rated tire as oppose to an H rated. The only differences between the ratings are speed. If I am not driving, regularly, over a speed limit of 80 mph, then why should I purchase a H rated tire that wears more frequently, than a T rated that will go the distance. Please answer this in "simple" terms, considering that I was not impressed with your long, drawn out, technical explanation. Otherwise, refrain from any further comments and let others express themselves.
Old 04-08-2002, 01:58 PM
I'm needing a caw

Okay here it is, as simple as I can explain it. 1) IT DOES NOT MATTER if you do/don't go 130mph. Get it? 2) Good luck finding a decent tire place that will mount T-rated tires on a car that has OEM H-rated tires. 3) I would go to three but anything over 2) might get confusing.

Give me break! You still have not answered, in simple terms, what I can expect when driving with T rated tire as oppose to an H rated. The only differences between the ratings are speed. If I am not driving, regularly, over a speed limit of 80 mph, then why should I purchase a H rated tire that wears more frequently, than a T rated that will go the distance. Please answer this in "simple" terms, considering that I was not impressed with your long, drawn out, technical explanation. Otherwise, refrain from any further comments and let others express themselves.
Old 04-08-2002, 02:42 PM

the difference

I bought my '99 SE used and it has Michelin "S" rated tires. I have put approximately 4000 miles on these used tires and the sky has not fallen. You will not get the performance in handling with the "T" rated tires that you will from the "H" rated tires but if you don't drive aggesively, I don't see the problem. Buy the "T" rated tires with better mileage.
Tire design is a tradeoff. "Stickier" tires many times give worse mileage.
As for having someone sell you "T" rated tires if the OE calls for "H" rated tires, I'll bet a bunch of money, there will be no problem getting someone to sell you the tires you want.
Old 04-08-2002, 02:49 PM

the difference

I bought my '99 SE used and it has Michelin "S" rated tires. I have put approximately 4000 miles on these used tires and the sky has not fallen. You will not get the performance in handling with the "T" rated tires that you will from the "H" rated tires but if you don't drive aggesively, I don't see the problem. Buy the "T" rated tires with better mileage.
As for having someone sell you "T" rated tires if the OE calls for "H" rated tires, I'll bet a bunch of money, there will be no problem getting someone to sell you the tires you want.
Old 04-08-2002, 02:52 PM
I'm needing a caw

Re: the difference

That's why I said decent. If you car came w/ H rated tires. Most reputable shops will NOT install a tire rated lower than what the oem tire is rated for. Why do you think Maximas that come w/ S rated tires have a speed limiter?

Originally posted by kvzeyde
Old 04-08-2002, 03:22 PM

Your opinion only

This is your opinion. Someone who sells me what I want to buy is decent to me. MY car and I'll decide if I need to drive it to the maximum performance level for which it is capable. Speed limiters are a different issue all together.

"Jeff92se That's why I said decent. If you car came w/ H rated tires. Most reputable shops will NOT install a tire rated lower than what the oem tire is rated for. Why do you think Maximas that come w/ S rated tires have a speed limiter?"
Old 04-08-2002, 03:33 PM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Your opinion only

I don't really care what you do. Just don't do it near me. It's just like the 235 sized tires on 7' rims. You can do it if you want, but it's not recommended and the owners do so at their own risk.

My dad wanted to buy some cheaper tires that were rated lower than "H". The tire place refused to do so because the car's max speed it rated to 130mph+. You can BUY any tire you want. But if the installer knows that this tire is underated for the capabilities of the car, then they are ill-responsible and doing the public a disservice by intalling tires not speed matched to you car.

Again, here is the question. Why do you think Nissan places a speed limiter on Maximas that have tires less than a "H" rating??

This is your opinion. Someone who sells me what I want to buy is decent to me. MY car and I'll decide if I need to drive it to the maximum performance level for which it is capable. Speed limiters are a different issue all together.

"Jeff92se That's why I said decent. If you car came w/ H rated tires. Most reputable shops will NOT install a tire rated lower than what the oem tire is rated for. Why do you think Maximas that come w/ S rated tires have a speed limiter?"
Old 04-08-2002, 03:49 PM

The simple answer is: you can do whatever you want, but it is recommended you go with an H rated tire or better. Jeff is right about a reputable dealer not wanting to install an incorrect speed rating. I have witnessed this tiwce, once in Sears and once in Montgomery Wards. However, I'm sure there are plenty of tire dealers that don't care about safety and the potential lawsuit that may follow the installation on incorrect tires. You also need to know that the speed rating is just a unit of measurement used to classify different types of tires. There is more to it than just top speed. Higher rated tires can withstand greater anounts of heat, they have stiffer sidewalls, handle or grip the road better, etc. If I had it my way, I will classify tires in a non-PC format: brok-a$$, low-end, high-end, etc.
Old 04-08-2002, 03:55 PM
I'm needing a caw

Quote from Cooper tires. It reflects most of the other tire makers I've just researched(with good reason)

When replacing tires, always consult the vehicle manufacturer to determine original equipment requirements.

When replacing tires, consult the vehicle placard (normally located on a door frame, door edge, or glove box door) or owner's manual for the original tire size(s), speed rating and recommended operating pressures.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The load carrying capacity of the replacement tires must always equal or exceed the load carrying capacity of the original equipment tires.

The replacement tire must have a maximum load carrying capacity equal to or greater than the maximum load carrying capacity of the original equipment tire. Refer to the tire placard on the vehicle for the recommended operating pressures of the original equipment size tires. These pressures must be maintained as a minimum. Do not exceed the maximum pressure indicated on the tire sidewall. Tires which are loaded beyond their maximum allowable loads will build up excessive heat that may result in sudden tire destruction.

Do not exceed the gross axle weight ratings for any axle on your vehicle. Consult the vehicle placard and/or vehicle owner's manual to determine the gross axle weight rating. Following the loading instructions of the vehicle manufacturer should insure that the tires are not overloaded.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The speed capability of the replacement tires must always equal or exceed the original equipment tires.

When replacing tires, consult the placard (normally located on a door frame, door edge, or glove box door) or the owner's manual for correct size. If the tires shown on the vehicle placard do not have speed ratings, the appropriate size tire with any speed rating may be applied.

When the placard tire size contains a speed symbol, for example P205/60HR15 or P205/60R15 90H, the replacement tire must have the same or higher speed rating symbol if the speed capability of the vehicle is to be maintained. If the replacement tire is not speed rated, the speed capability of the vehicle is limited by the speed capability of the replacement tire. A Cooper-produced non-speed rated passenger tire's maximum speed is 85 mph (137 km/h).

Speed Category
S 180 km/h (112 mph)
T 190 km/h (118 mph)
U 200 km/h (124 mph)
H 210 km/h (130 mph)
V 240 km/h (149 mph)
*W 270 km/h (168 mph)
*Y 300 km/h (186 mph)

Cooper's speed symbol designations in this table are based upon indoor wheel tests conducted in accordance with the Procedure for Load/Speed Performance Tests of the Economic Commission for Europe (ECE-30).

* For tires having a maximum speed capability above 240km/h (149 mph), a "ZR" may appear in the size designation.

Example:

Tire Designation Maximum Speed
P275/40R17 93W 270 km/h (168 mph)
P275/40R17 93Y 300 km/h (186 mph)
P275/40ZR17 93W 270 km/h (168 mph)
P275/40ZR17 93Y 300 km/h (186 mph)

While a speed symbol is an indication of the speed capability of the tire, we do not endorse the operation of any vehicle in an unsafe or unlawful manner.
Old 04-08-2002, 05:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It really seems that most of the people responding to this thread have missed the main point. He wants a tire that LASTS longer. Speed rating is a good indicator of the overall build quality but it really doesn't have too much to do with how long the tread will last. Just becuase the tire has a higher speed rating does not mean it will last longer. Usually the opposite is true because higher speed rated tires are typically built more for performance handling and not for long tread life. Take a look at the treadwear number in the UTQG (uniform tire quality grade). Most tires with higher speed ratings have lower treadwear numbers.

If long treadwear is your highest priority try to stick with a tire with a treadwear number higher than 300. The Michelin X-ONE (T rated), for example, has a treadwear rating of like 660 and a warranty of 80,000 miles. One of the longest lasting tires you can buy. Someone recommended the Bridgestone Potenza RE 950. A great tire. I have been researching tires for quite some time and I will be putting 235/45-17's on my OZ Supperleggeras when I get them. They have an H speed rating (130 MPH) and a treadwear rating of 400. That is the highest treadwear rating I have found on a tire with a speed rating of H or higher and it was given a "would buy again" rating of 9.3 by Tire Rack after 459,917 total miles reported. There are some that come close to that but none that are better that I have seen. There are tires that handle a little better and some that may last longer but none that I have found that do EVEYTHING as well. The only other tire I like in that size (sort of) is the Dunlop SP5000. A not-so-close second.

My point, don't buy a tire just for it's speed rating. That is only one part of the equation in the tire's overall quality.

Peace
Old 04-08-2002, 09:19 PM
rmb

Re: T rated vs. H rated tires. Which?

I have been using H rated tires on my 97 GLE but find that they wear quickly (I do a lot of highway driving 50-60 miles a day). I am planning on purchasing Yokohamas but found that the surveys for the T4's were much better than the H4's and the T4's have a UTOG of 420 compared to the H4's 360 rating. Tirerack overall reviews for the T4's was a 7.8 with the H4's receiving a 7.1. Treadwear was a big concern and the T4's treadwear lasted much longer according to the reviews.

Can I get some opinions on this?
I assume your talking about the Yoko Avid T4 and H4's....

Decent tires for the price. But crap in the general scheme of things. I've had both on different cars.

As far as the T vs. H, go for the H, a little stickier in the dry and a LOT better in the wet.

Both turned into **** though towards the end of their lives once tread was 1/2 gone. Some sort of compound problem I would guess. I wore both sets down to the threads though...

Neither was good in the snow... acceptable but not good.

Save the money and get a set of Dunlop 5000's. An awesome tire for the bucks that still sucks in the snow(still driveable) but is great everywhere else.

-RMB
Old 04-08-2002, 10:43 PM

why dont u go over 80 mph??
well anyways, i would recommend the H rated tires simply cuz they will fit the car better in the overall sense..the tirewear will not be THAT much significantly different, but more depends on where u drive, wut kinda roads there are, etc. Between these two tire ratings, you're talkin bout a 6 month to year difference max...and most tires come with a pretty good warranty on them for like 3-5 years or so, or certain mileage...the H's shouldnt wear as quickly as u think they would, especially if youre not driving crazy or racing...i would also go with a different tire than the Yoko's, but your choice on that, depending on budget, looks, etc
Old 04-09-2002, 05:34 AM

Re: Your opinion only

Thank you! Finally, someone who can reason and have an opinion that makes sense. The fact is, that the GXE requires a minimum of a S rated tire. Hmmm...let me think, what is the difference between a GXE and my GLE? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! I may be sacrificing just a "bit" of performance between the T rate and H rated tire, but bottom line, the Maxima handles just fine with either tire. As for reputable shops that won't install a T rated tire on a Maxima...MONEY TALKS. My mechanic won't have a problem installing them, he is a reputable mechanic.

I've been comments on this site about Maximas for months now and this is the conclusion I have come to. Maximas are way over rated. Face the facts. This is a 4 door family sedan folks. It's not a Lexus or BMW or an Audi....it's a NISSAN. With the exception of it's reliability, it just your average sedan that's got some good pickup.

Read the reviews at other sites, this is the type of opinion you will find.

I will get off my soap box now.
Old 04-09-2002, 09:39 AM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Re: Your opinion only

Not all maximas are the same. They all have the same engine but some come w/ a speed limiter from the factory depending on the option package you have. So some will go 135+ and some are speed limited to 115ph or so. The ones that have S rated tires are speed limited. The ones w/ H rated tires are not.

It's pretty obvious that your defination of "reputable" is how much you flash your mechanic? Wow, how safe is that?? I've told you the facts, now do what you wish. I don't care what you do. But don't tell me my facts are wrong when they are clearly correct.

Here is another tip, as your go down in speed rating, the handling and other characteristics of the tire also suffer.

Thank you! Finally, someone who can reason and have an opinion that makes sense. The fact is, that the GXE requires a minimum of a S rated tire. Hmmm...let me think, what is the difference between a GXE and my GLE? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! I may be sacrificing just a "bit" of performance between the T rate and H rated tire, but bottom line, the Maxima handles just fine with either tire. As for reputable shops that won't install a T rated tire on a Maxima...MONEY TALKS. My mechanic won't have a problem installing them, he is a reputable mechanic.

I've been comments on this site about Maximas for months now and this is the conclusion I have come to. Maximas are way over rated. Face the facts. This is a 4 door family sedan folks. It's not a Lexus or BMW or an Audi....it's a NISSAN. With the exception of it's reliability, it just your average sedan that's got some good pickup.

Read the reviews at other sites, this is the type of opinion you will find.

I will get off my soap box now.
Old 04-09-2002, 05:14 PM

He will be able to buy and get his tires installed.I use to work at a tire store and they would sell the same brand of tire for a Nissan pick up and then the same brand tire to a mustang gt.But i would stay with a H rated tire and you can find a high tread wear H rated tire.I have Dayton Daytona HR rating is 400,so you can find a H rated tire with hih treadwear
Old 04-09-2002, 06:39 PM

Originally posted by mzmtg
My opinion is that you should get the H-rated Bridgestone Potenza RE950 with a treadwear rating of 400.

They rock.
I had a set of the Bridgestone Potenza RE940's. Excellent handling characteristics for a 4 season tire & good wear. I got 35k mi out of a set of P225/60 ZR15's in this flavor. . .

Good luck w/ whatever you choose!