4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Replaced Fuel Filter now get ECU errors

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2002, 07:08 PM
CJP

Replaced Fuel Filter now get ECU errors

I just replaced my fuel filter, it took a while but I got it, I didn't see any leaks. I started the car and the check engine light came on. I get error code 03 04 (Knock Sensor) and 09 01 (Front Right Htd 02 sensor heater. So I reset the ECU and drive around but the light came back on and started blinking. Everything was fine before I replaced the fuel filter. Could I have hit something with my hand to cause this. I've been over the engine and everything looks good. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

ug,
Chris
Old 03-29-2002, 07:30 PM

Try resetting the ECU one more time. I don't know why your getting a flashing CEL, instead of a steady blink. I know, from one time I replaced my rear O2 sensor, I got a flashing CEL....but when I reset it once again, it went away. I hope this helps.
Old 03-29-2002, 08:28 PM
CJP

I reset the ECU again, and the car shows no lights at all during that whole startup. I drove 20 miles with no lights appearing. However, as soon as I turn the engine off and then back on, the light appears again. Also, when I was working on the fuel filter, I started the car and didn't have the negative connector to the battery all the way connected. The car died so I connected it better and then it started up normally. The car seems to be fine, I took it up to 100mph tonight to make sure . Any one know where the Front Right Htd 02 sensor heater is? Maybe I can just replace that. Its weird though that it would go out during my fuel filter change.
Old 03-29-2002, 08:56 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by CJP
I reset the ECU again, and the car shows no lights at all during that whole startup. I drove 20 miles with no lights appearing. However, as soon as I turn the engine off and then back on, the light appears again. Also, when I was working on the fuel filter, I started the car and didn't have the negative connector to the battery all the way connected. The car died so I connected it better and then it started up normally. The car seems to be fine, I took it up to 100mph tonight to make sure . Any one know where the Front Right Htd 02 sensor heater is? Maybe I can just replace that. Its weird though that it would go out during my fuel filter change.
O2 sensors have built-in heating elements and cost ~$100. It is located in the Y-pipe of the exhaust so it is unlikely you damaged that.

In addition to clearing the CEL, You might want to disconnect battery supply for >15 minutes as well. It is VERY unlikely that you damaged the Knock sensor or the O2 sensor from a fuel filter change.
Old 03-30-2002, 10:58 AM
CJP

OK, while I was changing the oil today I unhooked the battery completely for 45 minutes and reset the ECU again. When I turned the car back on later, no errors. But when I started for a second time, the error light reappeared. I'm still getting 09 01 (Front Right Htd 02 sensor heater), but instead of 03 04 like last time, I get 10 01, which is the Front Left Htd 02 sensor heater. I'm just going to ignore it for a while and hope it goes away . The guy I bought the car from said he just replaced the o2 sensors and the dealer who did it said they were under recall so there was no charge. Is this true?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 03-30-2002, 01:45 PM

Also, when I was working on the fuel filter, I started the car and didn't have the negative connector to the battery all the way connected. The car died so I connected it better and then it started up normally.
You started the car up fine, it was running and I'm assuming shook off the negative terminal and then just died, right?
Old 03-30-2002, 02:34 PM
CJP

The car started to turn over and then just died completely. It never started. Maybe I blew the heater elements in the 02 sensors. Its very annoying.

Originally posted by SUPER-6

You started the car up fine, it was running and I'm assuming shook off the negative terminal and then just died, right?
Old 03-30-2002, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by CJP
The car started to turn over and then just died completely. It never started. Maybe I blew the heater elements in the 02 sensors. Its very annoying.

You pulled the negative terminal while the car was running? Man, I don't know about you, but I don't ever unplug stuff while it is on and running.

Because there is an error reported consistently, I think you have to assume that something is wrong. I just hope it is the sensor and not the ECU that was damaged...

Yes, there was a recall on the 02 sensors--I think only for 95 and maybe 96's.
Old 03-30-2002, 03:56 PM

How would it crank with the negative terminal off?
Old 03-30-2002, 08:40 PM

Re: Replaced Fuel Filter now get ECU errors

Maybe the filter is on backwards?

Originally posted by CJP
I just replaced my fuel filter, it took a while but I got it, I didn't see any leaks. I started the car and the check engine light came on. I get error code 03 04 (Knock Sensor) and 09 01 (Front Right Htd 02 sensor heater. So I reset the ECU and drive around but the light came back on and started blinking. Everything was fine before I replaced the fuel filter. Could I have hit something with my hand to cause this. I've been over the engine and everything looks good. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

ug,
Chris
Old 03-30-2002, 09:10 PM
CJP

No, I didn't disconnect the negative end while the car was running. It just had a weak connection and didn't start. I'm also pretty sure I put the fuel filter on correctly. The can side (flatter side) is up, right?
Old 03-30-2002, 10:23 PM

i must be lucky...i changed my fuel filter
this morning...got a lot of scratches but
no CEL came on...how did u go about changing
the filter?
Old 03-31-2002, 07:14 AM

No, I didn't disconnect the negative end while the car was running. It just had a weak connection and didn't start. I'm also pretty sure I put the fuel filter on correctly. The can side (flatter side) is up, right?
If the car cranked even once then the terminal had a connection. It probably lost whatever connection it had from the engine vibrating. The only logical explanation for the error could be that the alternator sent a nasty shock to the electric system when the filtering battery fell out of the circuit, not very good for moderns Japs. Trying to figure out what's wrong on here is just guessing, you'd need to hook it up to a diagnostic, don’t forget to not mention the terminal thing if it's still under any sort of warranty
Old 03-31-2002, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by Mishmosh

You pulled the negative terminal while the car was running? Man, I don't know about you, but I don't ever unplug stuff while it is on and running.

Because there is an error reported consistently, I think you have to assume that something is wrong. I just hope it is the sensor and not the ECU that was damaged...

Yes, there was a recall on the 02 sensors--I think only for 95 and maybe 96's.
I have the same problem when I tried to get the GeForce ECU and after I put in a fuel preassure regulator. I didnt get the ECU becuase of the darn light but Its on cause of the regulator. The CEL comes back on when I restart my car. Recall on O2 sensors. I didnt know about that. Maybe Ill go and replace them. Hope that works. BUt if not, what else is could be wrong?
Old 03-31-2002, 11:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How do you know if you need to change the fuel filter? I have a '96 with about 50k miles. I recently changed out a faulty knock sensor, my car is running pretty good now.
Old 03-31-2002, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by Cumalot
How do you know if you need to change the fuel filter? I have a '96 with about 50k miles. I recently changed out a faulty knock sensor, my car is running pretty good now.
Many consider this to be a scheduled maintenance item although most dealers tack it on as an "option" when you buy their tune-up packages.

I'd say you should switch it out every 30,000 miles. Some say 15k and some say 60k. After you've done it once, it is much easier the second time around.
Old 04-01-2002, 09:50 AM

Is it just me or is the knock sensor not even on an inspection/replacement schedule for most car? Why is a Maxima any different?
Old 04-01-2002, 10:03 AM
CJP

A little update.

I took my car into a dealer that has a good reputation. I wanted them to look at it after I got the 02 sensor problems and another little problem. This weekend I replaced the spark plugs with the NGK platinums I got from Courtesy Nissan and now the car runs rough in idle. If you hold onto the steering wheel you can feel it. I took all of them out twice, used antisieze and made sure the torque was correct but same result. I was just so frustrated with it I wanted some professional help. Me playing junior level mechanic isn't going so well I'll let you know what they say.
Old 04-01-2002, 09:51 PM

Originally posted by CJP
A little update.

I took my car into a dealer that has a good reputation. I wanted them to look at it after I got the 02 sensor problems and another little problem. This weekend I replaced the spark plugs with the NGK platinums I got from Courtesy Nissan and now the car runs rough in idle. If you hold onto the steering wheel you can feel it. I took all of them out twice, used antisieze and made sure the torque was correct but same result. I was just so frustrated with it I wanted some professional help. Me playing junior level mechanic isn't going so well I'll let you know what they say.

This comment I'm about to make is slightly off topic, but relates to the spark plug replacement.

Many people use anti-sieze compound on the threads of their spark plugs, but I never do.

I was told that it is better to loosen the spark plugs about every 20,000 miles and retorque them to specifications to insure that they don't sieze up in the aluminum heads.

I was told that using anti-sieze compound on the threads interferes with the proper heat transfer from the plugs to the larger mass of the head itself and thus can cause the plugs to run hotter than you want ant possibly cause unwanted denotation and premature plug problems.

I'm been doing this for 179,000 miles with no problems. Anybody want to respond to this idea?

BTW; My Knock Sensor is the original one, and I had and Oxygen Sensor replaced and Nissan reimbursed me for the cost of it after I contacted them about this as it was part of an emissions recall that they had on the 1996 Max.

White96MaxSE
Old 04-01-2002, 11:24 PM

Originally posted by White96MaxSE

BTW; My Knock Sensor is the original one, and I had and Oxygen Sensor replaced and Nissan reimbursed me for the cost of it after I contacted them about this as it was part of an emissions recall that they had on the 1996 Max.

White96MaxSE
THey rembursed you? I got my 95 max and I think it's still runnig on the original o2 sensors. YOu think that if I take it to the dealer they would replace them for free even if its not in the warentee anymore?
Old 04-02-2002, 05:16 AM

White96MaxSE, I beleive antisieze has same properties as thermal paste, and the threads on the spark don't make 100% contact with the thread in the head. Very far from 100% probably given it doesn't have space shuttle tolerances If anything the antisieze would aid the heat transfer, but minimal either way.
Old 04-02-2002, 06:35 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Replaced Fuel Filter now get ECU errors

Since;
1) the problem is intermittent
2) the negative terminal was loose, possibly sending a spiked voltage to the ECU which it may have never quite recovered from.

I would suggest reseeting the ECU with the screwdriver method and ALSO dis-connect the battery for 24 hours. The Nissan FSM says the ECU forgets everything after 24 hours.

DW

Originally posted by CJP

ug,
Chris
Old 04-02-2002, 08:13 AM
CJP

OK, I picked up my car last night. Its turns out my plugs were fine, but I was missing a fuse somehow and my base idle was way off. Also one of my rear 02 sensors died. The dealership replaced that for free since it was still under warranty from the last time they replaced it. I have no idea where the fuse went. Anyone know how you change the base idle? Maybe I hit something with a screw driver when I was taking the plugs out? Anyway, its nice to know that I did the spark plugs correctly. It was frustrating to think that I messed up something so simple. Thanks for the help!
Old 04-02-2002, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by SUPER-6
White96MaxSE, I beleive antisieze has same properties as thermal paste, and the threads on the spark don't make 100% contact with the thread in the head. Very far from 100% probably given it doesn't have space shuttle tolerances If anything the antisieze would aid the heat transfer, but minimal either way.
Thanks for the reply in regard to the antisieze compound!
I appreciate the info.

White96MaxSE
Old 04-02-2002, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by darksands

THey rembursed you? I got my 95 max and I think it's still runnig on the original o2 sensors. YOu think that if I take it to the dealer they would replace them for free even if its not in the warentee anymore?
Yep, In the first 40,000 miles I had the check engine light come on many times for what turned out to be a common fault with the emissions system that they said was because they had made it too sensitive to trigger the Oxygen Sensor Code.

I had paid for a new Oxygen Sensor during that period of time and when I took the car to the dealer to have the retrofit parts for the emission control system (the parts were added and modified to the unit in the left underside of the rear of the car), then the dealer told me to complete a form and they would send it in to see if Nissan would re-imburse me for the cost of the oxygen sensor which I had paid 150.00 for, and about 90 days later Nissan sent me a check for that amount.

Maybe someone else on here knows more about it or the number of the recall, etc., but I know the dealer or Nissan must know of the situation.

Hope this helps.

White96MaxSE