4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

MAXIMA's have big problem...easy to steal????

Old 03-29-2002, 11:24 AM

I rechecked my rear passemger doors last night

hey guy's...when I first read this thread a few days ago I tested my rear doors...the OEM alarm did not go off. Last night I opened the back windows and set the alarm with my remote,waited the 30 second or so for the LED to start blinking (indicating armed) and reached in and unlocked the door...walla!!!!!beep, beep, beep, Flash, Flash, Flash. I had rushed the first test, and thats why the alarm did not respond. All of you, retest by waiting for the alarm to set, then unlock the back doors....I have a 96

Mark
Old 03-29-2002, 11:39 AM

Originally posted by shuefu

3. Does tinted windows help in the sense when someone breaks your windows, it doesn't scatter but stay as one piece, this way it'll take longer for them to get in?
I think that it will prevent the glass from shattering into a million pieces. So once they've smashed one side, they could probably yank the whole glass out by pulling on it.

Who was it who had their Max stolen where the thief had broken the window and because it was tinted, the whole window came out as one piece and the thief set it on the sidewalk where the car was parked, and drove off.
Old 03-29-2002, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by pocketrocket

I think that it will prevent the glass from shattering into a million pieces. So once they've smashed one side, they could probably yank the whole glass out by pulling on it.

Who was it who had their Max stolen where the thief had broken the window and because it was tinted, the whole window came out as one piece and the thief set it on the sidewalk where the car was parked, and drove off.
Yeah - seems like all it would do is let them make a cleaner getaway. If you happen to be non-tinted, they get a little glass in the a$$ for their troubles. Greeeaaazy, sliiimy, BASTAAAARDS!!!!!
Old 03-29-2002, 02:15 PM
Sports Button FTW

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

Originally posted by ptatohed

The trunk release on the door? You're kidding me? I looove that thing! I have neve accidentally hit it and it sure beats reaching down to the floor and accidentally popping the gas cap instead. What I hate is that fuse panel cover. Gosh, if I had a dollar for every time I have bumped that dumb thing off...
hahaha, i always, ALWAYS have that problem too...i had to like bend the curvy thing to make it stay but it never fails, a hard bump and it seems to find itself somewhere where i can't find it...like it's hiding or something....
Old 04-04-2002, 01:50 PM

They DID fix that trunk release problem

I've seen in the 2000 Infinity I30, that the door mounted trunk release requires you to PULL it rather than PUSH it like on the 4th generation Maxima. Don't know if they did that for the 2000 Maxima or not... I would think that it is easier for a would-be thief to activate a pull configuration, as a hooked hanger can nab it. Good luck trying to push the button with an extension rod.
Old 04-04-2002, 02:51 PM

Re: They DID fix that trunk release problem

Originally posted by Gary95
I've seen in the 2000 Infinity I30, that the door mounted trunk release requires you to PULL it rather than PUSH it like on the 4th generation Maxima. Don't know if they did that for the 2000 Maxima or not... I would think that it is easier for a would-be thief to activate a pull configuration, as a hooked hanger can nab it. Good luck trying to push the button with an extension rod.
Or. . .they could bust the glass, like they always do. They're not really all that concerned about making a flawless entry, believe it or not.
Old 04-04-2002, 11:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I installed a Clifford Intelliguard last week and disconnected my trunk button in the door panel completely.

And of course installed the trunk release for the alarm.

Now I can still use my remote, but noone can push the button.

I was thinking about rewiring that button somehow to make it so it only works if the ACC is on. That makes more sense. Then it works, but only when the car is on.

IanS
Old 04-05-2002, 08:03 AM

Originally posted by iansw
I installed a Clifford Intelliguard last week and disconnected my trunk button in the door panel completely.

And of course installed the trunk release for the alarm.

Now I can still use my remote, but noone can push the button.

I was thinking about rewiring that button somehow to make it so it only works if the ACC is on. That makes more sense. Then it works, but only when the car is on.

IanS
Either that or install your own button somewhere else. I always thought it was handy to be able to easily pop the trunk from the cabin even if the car's not running.

-zach
Old 05-01-2002, 03:58 PM

if mine gets stolen then ill be very sad, but then while im sad ill go to the insurance company and collect, because i paid below blue book and its in great condition, then ill buy a newer one, i really want a 6speed

but still, if you steal a maxima, your sickeningly cruel. Im sad just thinking about it
maximas are somewhat common around here, probably because of me :P
"what do you think of a wrx?"
"maxima"
"really?......."
MrGone
Old 05-01-2002, 05:49 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

I installed a kill switch finally last weekend.
Old 05-01-2002, 06:42 PM

Re: :o)

mine was stolen and i seen the car and the passenger rear window was smashed=) i heard no alarm but i did here my PR CAI! i have my car back now and its brand new! i love full coverage=)
Old 05-01-2002, 06:58 PM
Sports Button FTW

good show, i'll die if mine ever got stolen.....
Old 05-01-2002, 08:05 PM

Re: Re: :o)

Originally posted by paul-e
mine was stolen and i seen the car and the passenger rear window was smashed=) i heard no alarm but i did here my PR CAI! i have my car back now and its brand new! i love full coverage=)
About a couple of weeks ago, I was about to head to school, until I realized that my car was missing. Not even a month after buying my 95 SE Maxima, it was stolen from my front yard. Yes I had the factory alarm, but it was acting all weird. Sad to say, I worked fast on my car, adding the system, tints, etc... Luckily they found my car. When you hear this you guys wil freak. They broke in not through the doors, not through the windows...but through my sunroof, yes my SUNROOF. When I saw it for the first time after a week of it been missing, the first thing I saw was the big whole on my roof. They stole my system, and took most of my dash apart as well as the ignition (which is typical). I never knew how easy it was to break into a maxima. I now have an aftermarket alarm, no more factory for me, its a Prestige, complete with starter kill, dual shock sensors, and lots of other cool extras. I also added the club just to be safe. I park my car as far into my house as I can. I turn all the wheels toward my wall, and have my neighbors or family members park behind me whenever possible. Advice to all, if you can afford it, and are really worried abotu your car ever being stolen, invest in an aftermarket alarm. You will feel more safe with that then the factory. I'm so glad my MaXiMuS is back home
Old 05-01-2002, 08:17 PM
Sports Button FTW

nah man, not all aftermarket alarms will do the trick, there is always a way but aftermarket gives u time to kick their a$$ while they try to take your baby...i have an aftermarket wit kill switch and all and they broke my back window at my JOB, the wiz on rt 22, they broke my sh*t, this happened last year and my friend had to tell me my car was broken into...i couldn't hear alarm, luckily, i have 2 kill switches, and they didn't have enough time to take my ****, but i will invest in one with a beeper in the future so when someone TRYS to break into my baby, i will know and come out there wit an ak automatic and turn my side walk like diablo's front door
Old 05-01-2002, 10:22 PM

one word: African Flame Throwers!
Old 05-01-2002, 10:24 PM

which alarm should i get preferably with kill switch, auto start, and the paging thingy i think its lcd or that pager??
Old 05-01-2002, 10:43 PM

maxima gets stolen alot...

i was adding some stuff to my car in nyc when a cop jus put his damn strobes and cop lights on me...
he thought i was robbing da damn car...
he said he HAS to check me because maximas are reported most to nypd.
so be careful out there...also when i went to get a car wash the dude locked the doors by accident..so we coudnt open it..
it was so easy to open the doors...get betetr security definately!
Old 05-01-2002, 10:49 PM

Re: Re: Re: :o)

Originally posted by XtremeHKS
A few months ago my car was broken into i woke up the next morning and saw a gapping hole in my rear back window not the rear one but the one next to the rear passenger over the back door and nothing was stolen fortunately i took off my deck and i had the vallet mode on my trunk so you need the key to pop it or else i would have been out a huge nos bottle and some subs! you guys should all put your trunk on vallet mode if they dont have the key they wont get into your trunk
how do u put it in vallet mode?
Old 05-01-2002, 11:00 PM

Actually, the best way to do the trunk is to take off the driver's door panel and disconnect the button.

Then your remote still works to open the trunk, but noone can use the button when the car is off to pop it.

OR, you could rewire the trunk pop button to +12v instead of ACC, and then the trunk button will only work when the keys arein the ignition and turned forward.

That's what I did....it works great!

IanS
Old 05-02-2002, 12:17 AM

mecca you work at wiz on 22? i know mario with the lexus that works there=) maybe ill come by and check your ride out=)
Old 05-02-2002, 08:15 AM

i have a 99 se, so does that little chip in the key help at all?? or is it some other cheap A** thing nissan put there just to trick us??
Old 05-02-2002, 08:49 AM

Originally posted by 99maxi
i have a 99 se, so does that little chip in the key help at all?? or is it some other cheap A** thing nissan put there just to trick us??
I know that on my Camaro, which had a chip, that chip saved it from being hotwired 3 times...

Lived in Phoenix for awhile. Car was broken into 5 times in 2 years, but never stolen.

IanS
Old 05-02-2002, 12:00 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by paul-e
mecca you work at wiz on 22? i know mario with the lexus that works there=) maybe ill come by and check your ride out=)
sup man, u know mario? i used to work there about a year ago but now i'm at staples on rt 22 now, but my ride looks nothing like it does on my pic...one of my rims broke and stuff so i got two stocks in front and my chrome in the back just to keep my alignment straight while shop figures out what they can do for me....but roll up at staples whenever if u want to see what's left of my car, lol....u got any mods on yours? i mean like CAI and all? cause i want to get those in the future and would like to see how that looks...in person that is....u do installatioN?
Old 05-02-2002, 04:25 PM

hey i didnt get your private messga ecuz it was full but u canb pm me now cuz i deleted it. my mods are PR CAI, stillen ss exhaust, stillen front lip, the same tints you have=) and red/clear tails and some H&R springs. i know where staples is maybe ill stop by one day=)
i also know a kid yonker that works there at the wiz.
Old 05-05-2002, 11:14 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

That was a good idea Ian about hooking the trunk release to a switched power source. I may be contacting you soon to ask a few questions on that.

O.k., guys, I have been doing a lot of thinking lately. Ever since this thread, reading elsewhere about car theft and most recently when a coworker had her car stolen right out of my work's parking lot in mid-day with a million windows facing the lot. The whole talk about the trunk and disconnecting it so the trunk can't be opened when the car is parked, got me thinking. What if we took it one step further? What if we made it so the doors couldn't be opened when the car was parked?! If we disconnected the lock/unlock 'paddles' on each door and the lock/unlock button on the driver door, the only way to lock/unlock the doors would be with the remote or key. Now they would have to climb in through a broken glass window. Would this work? The only negative I could see is if you were in a 'bad neighborhood' and wanted to lock our doors while we were in the car. But perhaps we can have a hidden toggle switch foe the lock/unlock button. Opinions?

P.s. One more thing I was thinking. Do you guys feel that a Club would be more effective if you could get it in the two handle parts of the steering wheel (at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions)? My thinking was that the arc here is so small that the crook wouldn't have enough leverage to bend the steering wheel after cutting it. In other words, he'd have to cut two times instead of one. I tried to instll the Club this way and it just barely fits when forced. We would need to somehow cut off half an inch on the Club 'U-hook' to make it work smoothly. Opinions?
Old 05-05-2002, 11:19 PM

Re: :o)

Originally posted by ptatohed
That was a good idea Ian about hooking the trunk release to a switched power source. I may be contacting you soon to ask a few questions on that.

O.k., guys, I have been doing a lot of thinking lately. Ever since this thread, reading elsewhere about car theft and most recently when a coworker had her car stolen right out of my work's parking lot in mid-day with a million windows facing the lot. The whole talk about the trunk and disconnecting it so the trunk can't be opened when the car is parked, got me thinking. What if we took it one step further? What if we took it one step further? What if we made it so the doors couldn't be opened when the car was parked?! If we disconnected the lock/unlock 'paddles' on each door and the lock/unlock button on the driver door, the only way to lock/unlock the doors would be with the remote or key. Would this work? The only negative I could see is if you were in a 'bad neighborhood' and wanted to lock our doors while we were in the car. But perhaps we can have a hidden toggle switch foe the lock/unlock button. Opinions?

P.s. One more thing I was thinking. Do you guys feel that a Club would be more effective if you could get it in the two handle parts of the steering wheel (at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions)? My thinking was that the arc here is so small that the crook wouldn't have enough leverage to bend the steering wheel after cutting it. In other words, he'd have to cut two times instead of one. I tried to instll the Club this way and it just barely fits when forced. Wewuld need to somehow cut off half an inch on the Club 'U-hook'. Opinions?
My aftermarket alarm arms itself whether I remember to turn it on or not after 60 seconds. (This is annoying when I wash the car and foget to put it in Valet).

Anyway, this locks my doors for me.

I'd say just buy a good aftermarket alarm. 90% of car theives are amateurs, and won't touch a car with an aftermarket alarm.

The other 10% are going to get into your car and steal it whether you have flamthrowers coming out the side or not. There's nothing to be done about that. Just park in well traveled areas.

IanS
Old 05-06-2002, 04:29 AM

So true.....
Old 12-25-2023, 07:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by meccanoble
ok, it's obvious that Toyota's are like the number one most stolen cars in the US and i guess acura's and honda's are very close to the count as well, but I never hear of anyone saying "my maxima got stolen" or anything of that sort. Atleast not as much as toyota's, honda's and acura's. Well, my friend told me that Maxima's are like one of the easiest cars to steal becuase of a problem they have with their back passanger door. Something about it, the factory alarm doesn't protect or something. He's like a mechanic, kind of person that knows what he's doing and luckily i have an extra alarm but it's kind of crappy and just thought that if you guys didn't know about this or didn't have an idea, from what I heard, maxima's are built to be borrowed. Am I the only one that heard about this????
My maxima was stolen eight days ago. I was parked 20 feet away from the front entrance of my school. The security camera picked up the whole thing. It took them less than 3 minutes to steal my car, and they did break out the back passenger door on the drivers side. I don't think I'll ever buy a nissan again. My next car will be a Subaru Outback or Toyota RAV4.