4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Steering shakes, over everything!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2002, 11:53 AM

Steering shakes, over everything!

I have been noticing that my steering wheel shakes a lot. Even going over small ripples in the road or cracks, it shakes. It used to be good and solid - - could barley see the steering wheel shake. Now it shakes all the time. I makes the ride very unstable especially when I get to the really rough roads. Could this be a problem with worn struts or bushings? It's been aligned 2x and tires have been balanced 2x. I can't think of anything else. Any ideas?
Old 03-08-2002, 12:08 PM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Steering shakes, over everything!

Originally posted by maxnewbie
I have been noticing that my steering wheel shakes a lot. Even going over small ripples in the road or cracks, it shakes. It used to be good and solid - - could barley see the steering wheel shake. Now it shakes all the time. I makes the ride very unstable especially when I get to the really rough roads. Could this be a problem with worn struts or bushings? It's been aligned 2x and tires have been balanced 2x. I can't think of anything else. Any ideas?
Could be your ball joints. Check 'em out. If they are shot you just need to replace the control arm, and you'd be good as new.
Old 03-08-2002, 12:31 PM

Re: Re: Steering shakes, over everything!

Originally posted by ejj5875

Could be your ball joints. Check 'em out. If they are shot you just need to replace the control arm, and you'd be good as new.
At least if it is just that it doesnt sound like it is the worst possible thing to have happen. Would you use stock ball joints again or is there some thing better?

SuDZ
Old 03-08-2002, 12:38 PM
ejj

Re: Re: Re: Steering shakes, over everything!

Originally posted by SuDZ

At least if it is just that it doesnt sound like it is the worst possible thing to have happen. Would you use stock ball joints again or is there some thing better?

SuDZ
I don't think you have a choice...they are part of the control arm...so in order to replace them you have to replace the control arm, and I highly doubt that there are aftermarket ones out there. I think I got a quote for 1 control arm in the area of $120ish.
Old 03-11-2002, 05:25 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Steering shakes, over everything!

I was thinking. I have noticed that the front tires are starting to show some significant wear. Could it be that the tires may need to be replaced? I have had vehicles before that would start to ride really bad when the tires wore down. It's a much different ride when you have news tires. Any comments on this?
Old 03-11-2002, 06:02 AM
ejj

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Steering shakes, over everything!

Originally posted by maxnewbie
I was thinking. I have noticed that the front tires are starting to show some significant wear. Could it be that the tires may need to be replaced? I have had vehicles before that would start to ride really bad when the tires wore down. It's a much different ride when you have news tires. Any comments on this?
That could be, but if the wheels are balanced, they should feel okay. They may wearing too fast because of a suspension problem that's causing the shaking.
Old 03-11-2002, 06:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

having loose lug nuts will cause shaking too....not to mention your wheel falling off.
Old 03-11-2002, 06:29 AM

Switch your rear wheels to the front and your fronts to the rear. If the problem continues in the front, it is likely not the tires (though it could be). If the problem moves to the back or changes or goes away, then I would check the tires/wheels that you just put on the back (and if it is just a "change", check the fronts too). If you have some buds that have max's too, swap wheels with them for a few minutes and see if that makes a difference.

Out of balance usually manifests itself at 55-60 mph, but can happen at other speeds.

Once a tire starts to wear funny, it usually keeps wearing funny -- especially if you don't roatate the tires regularly. Funny wear can be for a lot of reasons including worn or bent suspension parts, worn struts, poor alignment or junky tires. Every tire shop I've ever been in has one of those "tire wear" charts on the wall. Take a look and you'll see what I mean.

To check front wheel bearing play, raise front of car, place securely on jack stands, or have someone put it on a lift. Grasp the top and the bottom of the tire and try to wobble (in at the top whilst out at the bottom, then reverse). You should feel *no* clunking, play or movement in the wheel. If you feel anything, have it checked by a pro.

Checking the ball joint usually takes a pry bar and someone who knows what they're doing. I'd leave this one alone unless you've seen someone do it before.

Checking the struts is easy. While the car is on the ground, get the car to bounce up and down by pushing on the front bumper. Stop pushing. The car should stop bouncing by itself within 1-1.5 cycles. I.E.: up, down, stop. If it keeps going, possible time for new struts. This assumes a stock suspension.
Old 03-11-2002, 10:24 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Bad ball joint will usually cause noise. I put my money on a bent rim or out of balance rim.