4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Throttle Body Cleaning Service Engine Soon Light On

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2002, 07:16 PM
lefty

Throttle Body Cleaning Service Engine Soon Light On

Hello All,

Can someone help me out here,

I cleaned out my Throttle body and did as what board members do. Spray the cleaner with the engine on and work the butterfly until the engine dies.

I did not touch the MAF and now I have the ECU telling me I have a prob with my MAF sensor. COuld this be that I had the car running with it not connected to the throttle body?

Can someone also tell me how to reset The ECU? I think I am doing it wrong,

Thanks in advance.

Lefty

BTW, was there suppose to be a TORONTO meet soon?

Old 02-25-2002, 07:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Throttle Body Cleaning Service Engine Soon Light On

Originally posted by lefty
Hello All,

I cleaned out my Throttle body and did as what board members do. Spray the cleaner with the engine on and work the butterfly until the engine dies.

I did not touch the MAF and now I have the ECU telling me I have a prob with my MAF sensor. COuld this be that I had the car running with it not connected to the throttle body?

Thanks in advance.

Lefty

The MAF sensor probably just came on because the engine was running and it was not registering any flow. Reset the light with the site below and you should be fine.
http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/ecudecoder.html
Old 02-25-2002, 07:27 PM

i just clean my TB, but i didn't leave the engine on. no CEL came on for me and i do feel a smoother ride. the only thing was my idle at park is above 1 rpm, and at drive it's 600 rpm, other than that it feels pretty good.

lhn

ps.. are you sure we have to have the engine on? i did a search for this before i did it, and i read nothing about leaving it on, that's maybe why your CEL came on because you had to disconnect the MAF.
Old 02-25-2002, 07:45 PM
lefty

I did searches and some say to not choke the engine and others says to. So I ran the engine and let the cleaner burn right thru. The instructions on the can also said to leave the can on.

ANyway, I will reset the code and see what happens. I did not know you had to turn the ECU screw clockwise, wait 2 secs, then counter clockwise and then repeat immediately.

I will try in the morning and hopefully the light will stay off.

Kyle

Originally posted by Infiniti
i just clean my TB, but i didn't leave the engine on. no CEL came on for me and i do feel a smoother ride. the only thing was my idle at park is above 1 rpm, and at drive it's 600 rpm, other than that it feels pretty good.

lhn

ps.. are you sure we have to have the engine on? i did a search for this before i did it, and i read nothing about leaving it on, that's maybe why your CEL came on because you had to disconnect the MAF.

Old 02-25-2002, 07:50 PM

I hope you don't have a real problem. I think I remember reading somewhere; that if you get a MAF code you can't clear it yourself. I'm not sure though, so I hope resetting the CEL works for you. You should never run your car w/ the MAF not in the airstream. You ran into problems because your engine was running and the computer thought there was no air going into the engine. I wonder what kind of fuel/air mixture it was running. I wish you luck.
Also, I think most people that clean their throttle bodies on the car, spray the cleaner in with the engine off and then have a hard time starting it, but once it starts it blows a lot of smoke out. Good luck.
Old 02-25-2002, 11:34 PM

Re: Throttle Body Cleaning Service Engine Soon Light On

Originally posted by lefty
Hello All,

Thanks in advance.

Lefty

the exact same thing happened to me the other week... and it was the MAF sensor too... all i did was disconnect the MAF sensor and reconncted it and boom! the light was off.... that simple... let me know if it works for you
Old 02-26-2002, 12:54 AM

Originally posted by Toolrocks
I hope you don't have a real problem. I think I remember reading somewhere; that if you get a MAF code you can't clear it yourself. I'm not sure though, so I hope resetting the CEL works for you. You should never run your car w/ the MAF not in the airstream. You ran into problems because your engine was running and the computer thought there was no air going into the engine. I wonder what kind of fuel/air mixture it was running. I wish you luck.
Also, I think most people that clean their throttle bodies on the car, spray the cleaner in with the engine off and then have a hard time starting it, but once it starts it blows a lot of smoke out. Good luck.

thats what I accidentally did too, I forgot to plug the MAF sensor back in and started the car, got the CEL and I just reset the ecu, no problems after it was reset. also took a few cranks to start but thats normal after cleaning the TB.
Old 02-26-2002, 07:54 AM

As long as your engine is running fine (no stumbling) and once you reset the light it should be fine.
Old 02-26-2002, 08:03 AM

Originally posted by Ravq
As long as your engine is running fine (no stumbling) and once you reset the light it should be fine.
I agree, after some mods that throw ECU lights if you reset it you never see it again. Might be the case here too.

SuDZ
Old 02-26-2002, 07:24 PM
lefty

Thanks guys,

I reset the ECU and everything seems fine.

Kyle