4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need Help, Above 100mph I Get A Knocking Sound...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2002, 09:00 AM

Need Help, Above 100mph I Get A Knocking Sound...

I'm guessing this is the reason my check engine light came on because of my knock sensor awhile back? Am I right? Driving home from class today I decided to punch it a little and while I was accelerating from 80-110 there was like a knocking sound at about 105, but it sounded like it was coming from below the car close to the middle as if it were my transmission. I let off the gas and and then when I brought it back to 105 it started up again. Ok, here are the key roles, I use 93 octane all the time, oil level os ok but it's time for a oil change by about 100 miles overdue from 3,000, I haven't flushed my transmission fluid since 87,000 miles, another 200 miles and it's time for a new fuel filter, fuel injector cleaner was applied at the last oil change, one of the front wheels need to be rebalanced, I need an alignment, my steering wheel vibrates heavily at about 70mph and lightens up at speeds above but is still a little noticeable, and I think that's about all I can think of as of now. Can anyone tell me what causes this and other than replacing my knock sensor, is there anything I could do? Oh yea, I've done a search but the info wasn't accurate enough to help me out with my exact problem. Thanks.
Old 02-21-2002, 09:04 AM

The answer to your problem is.....slow down!

I couldn't resist...
Old 02-21-2002, 09:11 AM

Originally posted by JAIMECBR900

I couldn't resist...
I knew I was gonna get smart remarks like that, that's why I wish when people post, it's to actually donate some technical info, instead of trying to pad posts to their posting status. Can anyone help me? Please?
Old 02-21-2002, 09:19 AM

its probably not this.

how loud is it? if it is scary loud to the point that is scares the pee out of you its the sunroof wind deflector. It started banging up and down when i was at around 100, almost drove off the road it was so loud and scary.
Old 02-21-2002, 09:19 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally posted by JAIMECBR900

I couldn't resist...
Wow and this coming from you...
Old 02-21-2002, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by bags533

Wow and this coming from you...
I was only teasing...everyone always teases me...and anyway i'm not that bad am i bags?...
Old 02-21-2002, 10:08 AM

This probably won't help you Ben, but last night I too was driving over 100 and started to hear some knocking noise, but it wasn't an engine noise. The car felt fine, steered fine, and the few gauges the car has all seemed fine. When I got home I checked the car out and found that the plastic stuff on the passenger side wheelwell had a piece broken off of it and I assume it must have been that flapping in the wind. Gonna fix it today and test it tomorrow on the way to school. Explain your symptoms a little more: did the noise go away? Was it constant after it started? How many miles are on your car; is it possible it's the valves? I think our cars can have a valve lash adju$tment. Good luck w/ your car - hope it's okay. On the bright side, maybe you just got a bad batch of gas. We get that crappy, reformulated, reduced emissions gas around where I live.
Old 02-21-2002, 01:02 PM

i have a similar problem... when i go passed 120 kms, i hear a weird knocking sound from what seems like the front right side of my car.

i accelerate from 120 to 160 and it gets bit louder and a bit louder and abit louder... then when i hit 160 and above, the knocking seems to stop. and when i decelerate it does the reverese.... starts again loud at 160 and works it's way to silence.

for me it's not as much a knocking sound as it is a... buzzing sound...... hard to explain...

oh.. and if i'm cruising at 120kms, and a gust of wind blows,
it makes that sound come back just a bit... you can hear it lightly.

it's friggin odd! i wish i could solve that problem.
Old 02-21-2002, 06:34 PM

Re: Re: Need Help, Above 100mph I Get A Knocking Sound...

Originally posted by Murphy_TX_Mike
I went to the doctor and said "every time I laugh, it hurts"
His response was "Don't laugh"

Maybe you shouldn't go over 100 mph, then it wont knock.
So, basically your saying Nissan are a bunch of *******s for not putting a limiter at a 100? Half the people on this board have several reasons for modding their engine, and your telling me that they don't go over 100? Look, I went over 100 because I'm curious of how capable my car is, I'm glad I did today or else I wouldn't have noticed this problem, which will probably hurt me in the long run if I don't find out what exactly is causing it.
Old 02-21-2002, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by Toolrocks
This probably won't help you Ben, but last night I too was driving over 100 and started to hear some knocking noise, but it wasn't an engine noise. The car felt fine, steered fine, and the few gauges the car has all seemed fine. When I got home I checked the car out and found that the plastic stuff on the passenger side wheelwell had a piece broken off of it and I assume it must have been that flapping in the wind. Gonna fix it today and test it tomorrow on the way to school. Explain your symptoms a little more: did the noise go away? Was it constant after it started? How many miles are on your car; is it possible it's the valves? I think our cars can have a valve lash adju$tment. Good luck w/ your car - hope it's okay. On the bright side, maybe you just got a bad batch of gas. We get that crappy, reformulated, reduced emissions gas around where I live.
Thanks for replying with some help man, unlike some others I encountered. I have 109,000 on the car, and you brought up a good point about the wheelwell flap. My flap right next to the oil filter is halfway broken off where it's only holding by 2 screws, it could be that flapping, but it's weird that I never heard it before when I drove it that fast, especially that night on 50 with the other Maxs. My flap was damaged awhile back when I accidentally rolled the car forward without tightening the screws of the flap ending up riding over it and snapping it in half. So it may be that, I might try to see what happens driving without the flap at all. I also noticed that my unbalanced front wheel is so bad that it could be vibrating something to make that noise as well. I can only hear it at about 105 and up, I don't even have to be flooring it, just at that speed. Whatever it is, I'm gonna try to get hold of it somehow. I'll talk to you tomorrow in class if you show.
Old 02-21-2002, 10:06 PM

Originally posted by BenBlanco218
I'll talk to you tomorrow in class if you show.
I'll be there You gonna be late as usual? hahaaa
Old 02-22-2002, 06:23 AM

Originally posted by Toolrocks

I'll be there You gonna be late as usual? hahaaa
ugh wish i knew someone from school with a max... hell even someone from where i work that had a max...
Old 02-22-2002, 06:39 AM

Re: Need Help, Above 100mph I Get A Knocking Sound...

.... I need an alignment, my steering wheel vibrates heavily at about 70mph .....
And you're driving 110MPH? Don't worry Darwin will take care of this problem.
Old 02-22-2002, 07:05 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Need Help, Above 100mph I Get A Knocking Sound...

Originally posted by brubenstein

And you're driving 110MPH? Don't worry Darwin will take care of this problem.
the meek shall inherit the earth
Old 02-22-2002, 08:20 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Let say you're going 100+ but not accelerating, does the sound happen? Does it happen at WOT at lower speeds?

I doubt its the engine making the sound...if the engine itself isn't effected by speed, just RPM's. If it happens at a certin throtle position at a certin RPM in one gear, it would happen in the other gears.
Old 02-22-2002, 08:45 AM

Thanks for replying with some help man, unlike some others I encountered. I have 109,000 on the car, and you brought up a good point about the wheelwell flap. My flap right next to the oil filter is halfway broken off where it's only holding by 2 screws, it could be that flapping, but it's weird that I never heard it before when I drove it that fast, especially that night on 50 with the other Maxs. My flap was damaged awhile back when I accidentally rolled the car forward without tightening the screws of the flap ending up riding over it and snapping it in half. So it may be that, I might try to see what happens driving without the flap at all. I also noticed that my unbalanced front wheel is so bad that it could be vibrating something to make that noise as well. I can only hear it at about 105 and up, I don't even have to be flooring it, just at that speed. Whatever it is, I'm gonna try to get hold of it somehow. I'll talk to you tomorrow in class if you show.
The flaps under the engine are to blame for your symptoms. This same scenario happened to me last weekend (scared me stiff as I thought my engine was blown). Anyway I tightened all the flaps and the sound went away. Balance your tires and check your alignment as well. Good luck.

Uromax 95
Maxima GLE 95
62,000 miles.Courtesy FSTB.Energy Suspension bushings.K&N panel filter.Alessio (Monaco)17" wheels.235-40-17Z Goodyear Ducaro F1.Eibach plus Tokico blues. Clear corners.
Old 02-22-2002, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by Uromax95

The flaps under the engine are to blame for your symptoms. This same scenario happened to me last weekend (scared me stiff as I thought my engine was blown). Anyway I tightened all the flaps and the sound went away. Balance your tires and check your alignment as well. Good luck.

Uromax 95
Maxima GLE 95
62,000 miles.Courtesy FSTB.Energy Suspension bushings.K&N panel filter.Alessio (Monaco)17" wheels.235-40-17Z Goodyear Ducaro F1.Eibach plus Tokico blues. Clear corners.
Ok, I've checked my front passenger side wheel well flap that covers the oil filter and it's hanging by only one screw, this has to be it. I'm gonna go and see if that's the problem because I'm sure it isn't an engine problem because I'm guessning I'de hear it all the time not only at high speeds. I just finished the dreaded fuel filter change and as soon as I rotate my tires I'll take it for a drive and post the results. I also did a diagnosis and the computer reads 0505 so my car happens to be in somewhat good shape other than the alignment.
Old 02-22-2002, 04:38 PM

Well Ben, as you know I didn't make it to my first class but on the way home from school today I lost the section of plastic that covers the oil filter/ pulley location from the passenger wheelwell. I was driving around 85, heard a clunk and then saw it flying out from behind my car. Fortunately no one was on my bumper. Now I've got to figure out if I'm gonna try to replace that piece. I don't like seeing my oil filter and pulleys wide open when I turn the wheel. I would suspect this may be your problem. It has also been very windy lately, couple that w/ your speed and I'm sure that could've been the culprit. As always, good luck and what did I miss in class?