4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Valve gasket cover replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2022, 04:35 PM

Valve gasket cover replacement

Hi -
What should be the total cost of getting a valve gasket cover replacement for front and back including labor ? Who makes the best parts for these ? I assume after 25 years these parts need to be replaced even if it’s low mileage.

thanks in advance

Last edited by Boatingnyc; 12-28-2022 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-29-2022, 02:46 AM

What’s a valve gasket and why does it need to be covered?
Old 12-29-2022, 12:11 PM
JvG

Originally Posted by Turbobink
What’s a valve gasket and why does it need to be covered?
Lol......

We know exactly what he means.
Old 12-29-2022, 12:16 PM
JvG

Originally Posted by Boatingnyc
Hi -
What should be the total cost of getting a valve gasket cover replacement for front and back including labor ? Who makes the best parts for these ? I assume after 25 years these parts need to be replaced even if it’s low mileage.

thanks in advance
You mean replacing the valve cover gaskets.

The old saying : If It Ain't Broke Don't Fix It. applies.

Replacing the one on the side by thr radiator won't take long.

Replacing the one under the intake manifold is more involved. Labor costs much higher. Also there are parts under the manifold which need to be replaced or serviced sooner or later. Replacing any of those requires removing the intake manifold.

If you are going to keep the car for say five years or longer I recommend replacing other stuff while the mechanic is in there anyway.
Old 12-29-2022, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by JvG
You mean replacing the valve cover gaskets.

The old saying : If It Ain't Broke Don't Fix It. applies.

Replacing the one on the side by thr radiator won't take long.

Replacing the one under the intake manifold is more involved. Labor costs much higher. Also there are parts under the manifold which need to be replaced or serviced sooner or later. Replacing any of those requires removing the intake manifold.

If you are going to keep the car for say five years or longer I recommend replacing other stuff while the mechanic is in there anyway.
what ‘other stuff’ do you recommend replacing as I plan to keep this car for many years . Thanks for your insights
Old 12-29-2022, 06:11 PM

what ‘other stuff’ do you recommend replacing as I plan to keep this car for many years . Thanks for your insights
Valve cover gaskets are replaced only when there is an oil leak. So like someone said - if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

You did not mention how many miles are on this car? Usually, after a certain number of miles, suspension parts need to be replaced. You can feel it when you go over a bump when suspension parts weaken over time.
Old 12-29-2022, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by I35GEEK
Valve cover gaskets are replaced only when there is an oil leak. So like someone said - if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

You did not mention how many miles are on this car? Usually, after a certain number of miles, suspension parts need to be replaced. You can feel it when you go over a bump when suspension parts weaken over time.
I have only 70k miles on my 98 Maxima and want to keep it forever !
Old 12-29-2022, 07:58 PM
JvG

70,000 miles is very low. However certain items break down due to time.

A common malady you will encounter someday is disintegrating plastic bits on the fuel injectors.
The car will display certain symptoms which members will write about. The ones near the radiator are easy to replace. The ones near the radiator are more difficult.
The intake manifold would need to be removed.

The egr system will clog as time passes. It lives under the exhaust manifold. Thr rear valve cover also lives under the manifold. The knock sensor is under there as well.

The manifold removal is kind of a pita.
So your choice is to remove it several times in the future to replace items as they fail. Or you might decide to service all of the items under the manifold at once.
That's somewhat more expensive and a pita.
However you probably won't ever need to do that again.

You might as well familiarize yourself with the repair procedures. Hopefully you won't need to do anything for quite some time.

Another time or mileage related item is replacing the water pump. It's not expensive, but can be a pita to replace. Or a real Bad Bear if you don't follow the instructions and take your time.

Otherwise, it's a good durable car.
Old 12-30-2022, 03:59 PM

Like other's have said, if it aint broke, dont fix it. I figure you have a few thousand more miles before you start obvious signs of leaks. From my experience, I knew it was time for me to replace the gaskets because i kept seeing small spots of oil underneath my car when it was parked overnight and some smoke coming from the rear of the engine bay as it was running.

If you feel like doing it yourself and saving some $$$, I highly recommend to search the forum for this exact topic. It's a daunting task at first but if you have all the correct tools, time and space, then it is something you can do yourself.

Here is a good video that I used for reference when I replaced my valve cover gaskets.
Old 02-21-2023, 10:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

About to tackle this myself just curious how many extra parts I should replace while I have the manifold off?
Old 02-21-2023, 12:58 PM

No idea. Only know my mechanic wants to charge $700 for both front and back gaskets being replaced. Parts are not expensive. It’s the labor
Old 02-21-2023, 01:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

No idea. Only know my mechanic wants to charge $700 for both front and back gaskets being replaced. Parts are not expensive. It’s the labor
Ya i watched that exact youtube video someone share front looks easy back does look like a pita. I can see how you could lose 3 or 4 hours doing it. But thats way shops are anymore charge and arm and leg to do anything anymore. Best to learn to work on things yourself as long as there's no exponential harm to the job. As long as you cover the intake ports as described in the video and make sure everythings plugged back in I don't think you could make it any worse? haha
Old 02-21-2023, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by noscharger
About to tackle this myself just curious how many extra parts I should replace while I have the manifold off?
If you are going to do go through the trouble with replacing the intake manifold/plenum, I would replace the following:
- All the gaskets (throttle body, IACV, EGR tube, manifold)
- Rear fuel injectors
- PCV
- Any hoses that look old/cracked
- Clean out the EGR tube (mine was filled with carbon deposits and i decided to install a new one)
That's all i can think of off the top of my head. I have pulled my manifold several times and its extremely doable, just need time, patience and labeling everything. A case of beer will help as well

https://www.my4dsc.com/maf-tb-iacv-e...nissan-maxima/
I used this for reference for my first time pulling the manifold. Highly recommend for you to search through the forum using google. There is a ton of information on this site

Good luck and report back
Old 02-21-2023, 06:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by aq12
If you are going to do go through the trouble with replacing the intake manifold/plenum, I would replace the following:
- All the gaskets (throttle body, IACV, EGR tube, manifold)
- Rear fuel injectors
- PCV
- Any hoses that look old/cracked
- Clean out the EGR tube (mine was filled with carbon deposits and i decided to install a new one)
That's all i can think of off the top of my head. I have pulled my manifold several times and its extremely doable, just need time, patience and labeling everything. A case of beer will help as well

https://www.my4dsc.com/maf-tb-iacv-e...nissan-maxima/
I used this for reference for my first time pulling the manifold. Highly recommend for you to search through the forum using google. There is a ton of information on this site

Good luck and report back
My.max is high mileage at 199k I'm hoping the EGR line is clogged I got a lot of codes popping right now for it running so good. I made a post about all the codes if you have any insight?