4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

UIM off and just a few questions.......

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2022, 11:31 AM

So I finally have the UIM in place (nothing bolted), BUT, I can't get the gasket between the EGR tube and UIM. Any ideas?

Should I lift the UIM out again (which I'd hate to do) and bend the tube away from the UIM a little, so when I get it back in place, I can slip in the bolts while I hold the gasket in place with the other hand?

Tight spaces. YIKES!
Old 01-02-2022, 04:22 PM
JvG

It's been a few years since I did that.

Please send a photo of two of the area you are working on.

The photo will refresh my memory
Old 01-02-2022, 04:57 PM

Thanks JvG!

I wound up removing the IACV. (again, which I just put back on after cleaning like new)

Much better view and most of the aggravation out of the way! Installed, Torqued and DONE!

Just a few brackets, hoses (cut and replace as the brittle ends are splitting) and vacuum lines and wiring harnesses to remount and attach. Top off coolant and maybe even crank it up!

Except the high will be in the low to mid 30s and windy. NY Sucks! Has to be the worst Autumn into Winter in a VERY long time. Cloudy and rainy almost always and the few sunny days were frigid and really windy.

I wanted a heated garage for Christmas! I got a "Good Luck With That!" instead!

Somebody needs to invent a car nose tent to work on them in Winter with the hood up and allow tolerable, dry and warmer repairs and maintenance.

Originally Posted by JvG
It's been a few years since I did that.

Please send a photo of two of the area you are working on.

The photo will refresh my memory
Old 01-13-2022, 12:04 PM

So where do these vacuum lines go on a 99?
Thanks!!!

Last edited by KP11520; 01-13-2022 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-13-2022, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Did you ever have a MEVI on this car? I think I spy a Y splitter in the pic and doesn't appear OEM, but I could be wrong. Typically, one of the vacuum lines is intercepted and a Y installed for the vacuum canister needed for a MEVI. Both of my 99's are up on lifts, so I can't easily check for you. Based on the short tube, the connection can't be far. There is a vacuum gallery with tons of connections in that area. Double check.
As for your last pic, you can disregard it. It's a breather tube for the transmission and isn't supposed to connect to anything.

Last edited by The Wizard; 01-13-2022 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-13-2022, 01:44 PM

Always stock. Never a MEVI.

Now that you pointed out the Trans air tube, I can find a place for the rest. THANK YOU!!

Now I have a homeless electrical plug.

Please send me back to Kansas. Ya know.... When that movie was made. Cars were simple. And there were witches to magically help.

Any magic would be greatly appreciated Mr Wizard.
Old 01-13-2022, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Once you put the stock intake back in, that plug may go to the air intake sensor which is underneath the intake plastic piece yet to be installed.
Old 01-13-2022, 09:41 PM

I wish that was true! But there is another plug for that sensor and it's already installed again!

Mystery plug still remains!

Running, but looks like I have some additional challenges to figure out! More to come!
Old 01-13-2022, 09:41 PM

That Plug is For the Front Engine mount, If this car is a GLE. Other wise it is not used.

Last edited by Reality sucks; 01-13-2022 at 09:45 PM.
Old 01-13-2022, 09:49 PM

I have to agree.... Reality definitely sucks sometimes LOL

The motor mount was supposed to be with a sensor when installed. It is a Loaded SE-L. Just about everything a Loaded GLE would have with the SE springs and suspension.

Thank you for giving me a place to start!
Old 01-14-2022, 11:01 AM
JvG

For any one reading this in the future.......

Projects like this involve a lot of parts and steps. Some time might pass between disassembling and final reassembling.
Memory is not perfect.

I label all connectors with blue painters tape and a Sharpie marker. The tape removes easily.
I put tape on each end of a connector. I start labeling. Like A and A then B and B and so on. All small items to in zip lock baggies. With descriptive labels.

Our cell phones take excellent photos. So take plenty of close ups.

All these things will make reassembly much easier.

Sure, you might remember 90 percent without these methods. The other 5 to 10 percent might be confusing. That means wasted time and possible errors.

Last edited by JvG; 01-14-2022 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:05 PM

A Yup! Good advice!

Never did I think it would take me 3+ months. But as I got deeper, I kept deciding to go farther so there would be nothing left undone. And parts and way too much bad weather (Driveway only) during that period made me think The Universe had other ideas for me... Like WALKING!

EVERYTHING took way longer than I expected, every step of the way as well.

Somebody (JvG) kidded me about getting a bad Injector on cylinders 1, 3, or 5.....in January. LOL Thankfully, it runs with no gas smell. But something isn't right. Doesn't idle well and I already got 2 bad EGR codes. I had the Freakin EGR out and cleaned it! DAMN!

When the weather gets tolerable again, I will check vacuum hose placement and other symptoms. It should be purring, but she ain't!

Anybody know where to find a vacuum diagram/map for a 99 Cali Spec?

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by JvG
For any one reading this in the future.......

Projects like this involve a lot of parts and steps. Some time might pass between disassembling and final reassembling.
Memory is not perfect.

I label all connectors with blue painters tape and a Sharpie marker. The tape removes easily.
I put tape on each end of a connector. I start labeling. Like A and A then B and B and so on. All small items to in zip lock baggies. With descriptive labels.

Our cell phones take excellent photos. So take plenty of close ups.

All these things will make reassembly much easier.

Sure, you might remember 90 percent without these methods. The other 5 to 10 percent might be confusing. That means wasted time and possible errors.
Old 01-14-2022, 09:35 PM
JvG

Check the egr tube gaskets. They like to rotate and flip down while you are not watching.
That would create a vacuum leak. Also possibly egr codes.

Do you have a half decent scanner? If so, check your fuel trim. Positive fuel trim would indicate a vacuum leak. Possibly at the egr.
Old 01-14-2022, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by JvG
Check the egr tube gaskets. They like to rotate and flip down while you are not watching.
That would create a vacuum leak. Also possibly egr codes.

Do you have a half decent scanner? If so, check your fuel trim. Positive fuel trim would indicate a vacuum leak. Possibly at the egr.
Thank you for that!!!!!!

I have BlueDriver https://us.bluedriver.com/pages/bluedriver It does live monitoring. I will scan and see metrics tomorrow live. Then "I'll be Back" In an Arnold voice.
Old 01-15-2022, 08:32 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

There's a simple diagram on the hood. Or dig though the FSM, EC-18 https://www.nicoclub.com/service-man...F1999%2FEC.pdf

Unfortunately my car is not stock so I can't just snap some pics.
Old 01-15-2022, 11:30 AM

THANK YOU JS!

Just Printed! This will help immensely!

Do you still have the air collector duct and box below it at the other end of the 90 degree elbow? If so, might you want to sell them?

Originally Posted by JSutter
There's a simple diagram on the hood. Or dig though the FSM, EC-18 https://www.nicoclub.com/service-man...F1999%2FEC.pdf

Unfortunately my car is not stock so I can't just snap some pics.
Old 01-15-2022, 12:49 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Not sure, I'd have to look. Don't make me do it now, TOO COLD!
Old 01-15-2022, 01:17 PM

Not sure, I'd have to look. Don't make me do it now, TOO COLD!
Reminds me of some old TV shows like Perry Mason and Ironside. The actor was named Raymond Burr. BRRRRRRRR is RIGHT! LOL

If and whenever you feel like it! Not anything necessary. Just my Perfectionist quirk using up my patience on diminishing returns.

Stay warm!
Old 01-15-2022, 11:11 PM
Administrator

Comfortable 75 degree T-shirt weather here in Southern California.....

Old 01-16-2022, 07:31 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Comfortable 75 degree T-shirt weather here in Southern California.....
Single digits here.
Old 01-16-2022, 10:48 PM

Single digits here.

Sending you a heatwave from NY now. Complete with some rain! LOL

Tomorrow, I can run the car and scan and maybe even look at the vacuum map and connections. Heatwave. 50 degrees!

The Wizard is really rubbing our noses in IT! LOL
Old 01-19-2022, 03:01 PM

So I have a rough idle and a P1105 code. No vacuum after warm up. Vacuum comes from upstream? MAP/Baro solenoid??

I also have a P0403 code.

Reading a lot of confusing stuff online.

Short Term Fuel Bank 1: 25.0 After a short while
Short Term Fuel Bank 2: 25.0 After a short while
Long Term Fuel Bank 1: 9.4
Long Term Fuel Bank 2: 1.6

Always so much fun!

Anybody have any similar problems and get it right? I'm all eyes! (since ears don't apply here)

Last edited by KP11520; 01-19-2022 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-19-2022, 04:54 PM
JvG

There is a vacuum hose under the throttle body. It's between the two water hoses. It supplies vacuum to the solinoids s located near the knock sensor.

I had a kink in that vacuum line . It caused one of the codes you mentioned.

So revisit that vacuum line.
Old 01-19-2022, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by JvG
There is a vacuum hose under the throttle body. It's between the two water hoses. It supplies vacuum to the solinoids s located near the knock sensor.

I had a kink in that vacuum line . It caused one of the codes you mentioned.

So revisit that vacuum line.
The one that is shaped like a U in too short a space? Did you replace it with a longer or shorter one? Or just reposition it?

Thank you as always!
Old 01-21-2022, 11:30 AM
JvG

I don't recall exactly what it looks like any more. I think I replaced the original one with hose by the foot. I cut the line too short the first time. That's why it kinked. So eventually I replaced that with a longer hose. So no kinks.

I had trouble codes from one of two solenoid valves near the knock sensor. I replaced those with ones from the junk yard which tested good. I finally figured out the real reason the codes set was the kinked hose.

regarding your fuel trim from bank one and two.

I recommend starting a new post about those. Like Bank 1 and 2 fuel trim after uim removal.
Old 01-21-2022, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Just how much crap did you disconnect along this journey? I don't recall having to disconnect more than 2 or 3 vacuum lines (in very different spots) during an UIM/LIM job on my 99. Remembering where things went was straightforward, and Nissan is good about making each plug unique, so remembering what connects to what is easy too.

No need for a thread on your current issues...I can always add/revise the thread title of this one if need be. We'll figure it out here!
Old 01-22-2022, 01:21 PM

Just how much crap did you disconnect along this journey? I don't recall having to disconnect more than 2 or 3 vacuum lines (in very different spots) during an UIM/LIM job on my 99. Remembering where things went was straightforward, and Nissan is good about making each plug unique, so remembering what connects to what is easy too.

No need for a thread on your current issues...I can always add/revise the thread title of this one if need be. We'll figure it out here!
Crap is RIGHT! LOL

I removed quite a bit, including the EGR valve/solenoid and all the aggravation in the way. And replaced a lot of the heavier, brittle hoses and lines. Hence JvG's kinked hose experience above.

NOT like So. California, it hasn't gone above freezing here in days. And on Tuesday, it will hit 40. AND RAIN! LOL It's all JvG's fault. He told me I wouldn't want Injector problems in January. So I made sure I did that perfect, and it decides to present somewhere else. LOL

Maybe I'll immerse that hose I installed in hot water lined with plastic tubing so it will cool with the right arc and no kinks. Kinky can be good in cars, but not with car engines. LOL

And you are right.... We''ll address fuel readings here, when we get to that point.

Thanks Gentlemen... As always!
Old 02-12-2022, 01:22 PM

I can't find the mate connection for this plug. Anybody have any ideas?

This is a 99 Cali spec!

Thanks!

Old 02-12-2022, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by KP11520
I have to agree.... Reality definitely sucks sometimes LOL

The motor mount was supposed to be with a sensor when installed. It is a Loaded SE-L. Just about everything a Loaded GLE would have with the SE springs and suspension.

Thank you for giving me a place to start!
I have all of the original Nissan brochures from 1995 to 2003. I'm pretty sure only the GLE's received electronic motor mounts. I don't believe even fully loaded SE-L's came with electronic motor mounts like the GLE's. Has this been resolved? Just curious.
Old 02-12-2022, 10:38 PM

I found the place where the plug goes.....

It's hidden under the throttle body and doesn't have any play. How i left it there, I don't know! Probably will require MORE dismantling and reassembly to get it out and up the back by the firewall where it used to be!

I bet my rough idle and Fuel Trim differences and codes (above) go away! OUCH!

I hate working in the Winter after dark with a drop light!

I'm moving to The Wizard's shed! And live on Diners, Drive Ins and Dives recommended Cali food!

I can already hear the Beach Boys - California Girls! Or David Lee Roth's!

And Wiz.... When I do a VIN search, mine comes back as a GLE and Not SE (-L). If it's not throwing a code for it, at this point, I'm over it! LOL

Get ready to go for Beach Hut treats! LOL I bet you already have a few favs!
Old 02-17-2022, 03:44 PM

FINALLY! It's pretty much done. Just have to adjust the start up throttle and warm idle throttle RPMs And most likely a TPS adjustment!

One hidden not connected plug pinched under the throttle body kicked Codes! All clear, no codes and MUCH smoother!

Are the short term and long term fuel trims from each bank supposed to match? Differences on both between Banks 1 & 2.
Old 02-17-2022, 05:00 PM

I have all of the original Nissan brochures from 1995 to 2003. I'm pretty sure only the GLE's received electronic motor mounts. I don't believe even fully loaded SE-L's came with electronic motor mounts like the GLE's. Has this been resolved? Just curious.

When I bought my 4th some 15 yrs ago ,11/94 GLE. It had an aftermarket Mount already installed. Some years later I installed the Correct e mount, and all has been well. The mount actually seems more Robust in Comparison. KP11520 Search up and Buy the Correct mount and plug it in. Does your car have Digital Climate Controls.?

Last edited by Reality sucks; 02-17-2022 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-18-2022, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Reality sucks
When I bought my 4th some 15 yrs ago ,11/94 GLE. It had an aftermarket Mount already installed. Some years later I installed the Correct e mount, and all has been well. The mount actually seems more Robust in Comparison. KP11520 Search up and Buy the Correct mount and plug it in. Does your car have Digital Climate Controls.?
My SE-L is LOADED with all options. Moon roof, Bose, Power Heated Seats and Mirrors. Only option that didn't come with it was gold badging. GOOD. That would look horrible on Sterling Mist. The vin number comes back as a GLE in the Vin Checker. Yup.... With SE suspension and Titanium Gauges and painted Rims. Nissan Electronic Motor Mounts are what? $440 or so? OUCH!

And now for something exciting!

Let's talk about Fuel Trim Levels!
Old 03-17-2022, 09:43 AM

[QUOTE=KP11520;9244636]My SE-L is LOADED with all options. Moon roof, Bose, Power Heated Seats and Mirrors. Only option that didn't come with it was gold badging. GOOD. That would look horrible on Sterling Mist. The vin number comes back as a GLE in the Vin Checker. Yup.... With SE suspension and Titanium Gauges and painted Rims. Nissan Electronic Motor Mounts are what? $440 or so? OUCH!

I have the same fully loaded SE (1998). Same thing VIN thinks its a GLE. It absolutely has the electronic front motor mount, if your an auto of course. Just changed it the other day, $230 OEM mount from Courtesy Nissan.

Sorry no trim specs here