4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Starting Problem - Dirty TB?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2002, 10:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Starting Problem - Dirty TB?

Alright… I did a search, and I think I know what to try at least.

(98 Maxima – Auto 95,000 Miles)

Last winter, when I would start my car, there was a once in a blue moon chance that it would start weird. It was generally on very cold days (<20degrees), and it would always start. When it had this problem it would shoot up to 3K RPMs and then drop to 500 RPMs and then back and forth until it settled at around1500 RPMs which is the usual idle RPM when my car is warming up… gradually dropping to 7-800. This back and forth of the RPMs happens very quickly… I do not think that I could rev the motor back and forth that fast using my foot.

Since last winter I have replaced the fuel filter and spark plugs with Nissan parts in addition to my normal maintenance (Mobile One every 4-5K, air filter changes, etc…).

This winter, when it is at around 20 degrees or so… it is worse. Now it does the same thing, except it eventually dies as if it is running out of gas. Then I have trouble starting it as if it ran out of gas and it will start roughly again and usually smooth itself out at this point.

This only happens when the car has been sitting for a while (4-5+ Hours) and I have suspected water and/or ice in the gas. It has just recently been getting down to those cold temperatures here (Kenosha, WI) so it has only been happening for that last few days. I did let the fuel pump run this morning for about a minute before I cranked the motor, and I believe this would have eliminated any fuel pressure problems.

Once the car is started and when it is warm… it operates ideally.

I am having a hard time believing that it is bad gas… as this seems rather extreme for bad gas. I read about the throttle body cleaning, but that seemed to only apply to problems with a rough and more gradually fluctuating idle at cold start up.

Could a dirty throttle body cause something that extreme and does this fall into that category anyway?
Any other suggestions?
Old 02-07-2002, 10:11 AM

You may want to try the TB cleaning. It is worth it even if not the problem just to eliminate it from the equation. Also it can give you back idle's and rougher running if it is clogged. Try it out and lets see how that works.

SuDZ
Old 02-07-2002, 10:13 AM

Originally posted by SuDZ
You may want to try the TB cleaning. It is worth it even if not the problem just to eliminate it from the equation. Also it can give you back idle's and rougher running if it is clogged. Try it out and lets see how that works.

SuDZ
Oops... I meant to mention that this is on my list. Like you said, it can't hurt. I was just throwing this out there to see if what I understood as the "Dirty TB" problem was the same as what I was experiencing.
Old 02-07-2002, 10:14 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I believe your problem is with the IACV (?) Idla Air control Valve. It sounds like it's a bit sticky when it's cold. That valve actually controls your idle speed. It opens and closes to let air in to keep your car idling correctly when it's cold, and also under load. (A/C on) If that valve is sticky it probably reacts to slowly and you get your speed fluctuations.
Old 02-07-2002, 10:30 AM

Well, I shot over to www.motorvate.ca and checked out the instructions for cleaning the TB. In the article is says "...If it is very dirty it stalls..."

When all else fails RTFM.

So I guess my TB could actually be THAT dirty.
Old 02-07-2002, 10:44 AM

This is the 2nd post on this and I have the same problem with my 97, let me know what the results are if you do this before me and vise versa.
Old 02-07-2002, 10:51 AM
Lifetime Maxer

Originally posted by nitroz
This is the 2nd post on this and I have the same problem with my 97, let me know what the results are if you do this before me and vise versa.
This was happening to my Maxima a while ago, and it went away when I got a new serpentine belt. My belt was getting old and cracked. Coincidence maybe, but thought I'd throw it out there...
Chad
Old 02-07-2002, 10:57 AM

Let me know what happens when you clean the tb if you get to it before me, if I do it first I will let you know what happens.
Old 02-07-2002, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by nitroz
Let me know what happens when you clean the tb if you get to it before me, if I do it first I will let you know what happens.
It really only takes maybe ten minutes or so. Not a big job. I did mine on Lunch break.

SuDZ
Old 02-07-2002, 11:37 AM

Actually my serpentine is overdue. That has been something I have been wanting to do for a while... but there is no evidence of slipping or anything when it is starting so I can't imagine it is the cause. Unless it has actually stretched to the point of messing up the timing? It would have to stretch farther than the tensioner allowed...

Actually I was tempted to do it on my Lunch break just now... but my dress for work is Business Casual and they would not appreciate grease stains etc... and I know if I were trying to avoid it, then it would get me.

It has warmed up considerably today, so I am going to try this when I get home. I imagine I will at least get some increased throttle response out of the deal.
Old 02-07-2002, 10:36 PM

Well, I cleaned the TB when I got home from work... and all I can say is WOW!

Seriously, if you haven't done this and have the miles on the car... I would highly recommend it. My car anticipated being started damn near. I think if I pretended to turn the key it would start now. It was easier than the spark plugs... and you really shouldn't need the instructions.

The increase in throttle response is phenomenal. Of course, if you read the instructions for doing this... there is a picture of what his looked like before and after... well, mine was twice as bad as his.

Also, I figured I would do the PCV valve while I was at it... what a *&^%ing PITA!!! It took me longer to wrestle with that thing than it did to clean the TB. This may have been because my back was killing me from the awkward "work on the car" lean... but for crying out loud, I swear they designed it to be a HUGE PITA and they succeeded.

Anyway, thanks for the help... and I hope this helps the rest of you. My true test will be tomorrow morning.
Old 02-08-2002, 08:19 AM

Started fine this morning...
Old 02-11-2002, 03:49 AM

Well I will have to try this next hopefully today when I get home I will try it.
Old 02-20-2002, 02:34 PM
dxception

IT WORKS! I'M A BELIEVER

I did the throttle body cleaning after I had been having problems starting the car in the morning. This problem came after I changed my spark plugs, fuel filter, oil and filter and air filter. It start giving me morning start problems. I cleaned the throttle body after reading this forum, and IT'S LIKE NEW!
THANKS FOR THE POSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-20-2002, 03:28 PM

Re: IT WORKS! I'M A BELIEVER

Originally posted by dxception
I did the throttle body cleaning after I had been having problems starting the car in the morning. This problem came after I changed my spark plugs, fuel filter, oil and filter and air filter. It start giving me morning start problems. I cleaned the throttle body after reading this forum, and IT'S LIKE NEW!
THANKS FOR THE POSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, it does work!! I have a new car!!
Old 02-22-2002, 07:17 PM

I had the same start-problem on cold winter mornings... and I was a little skeptical if the TB cleaning would work but what a huge difference~!
Old 02-22-2002, 07:51 PM

Re: Starting Problem - Dirty TB?

Originally posted by Entropy
Alright… I did a search, and I think I know what to try at least.

(98 Maxima – Auto 95,000 Miles)

Last winter, when I would start my car, there was a once in a blue moon chance that it would start weird. It was generally on very cold days (<20degrees), and it would always start. When it had this problem it would shoot up to 3K RPMs and then drop to 500 RPMs and then back and forth until it settled at around1500 RPMs which is the usual idle RPM when my car is warming up… gradually dropping to 7-800. This back and forth of the RPMs happens very quickly… I do not think that I could rev the motor back and forth that fast using my foot.

Since last winter I have replaced the fuel filter and spark plugs with Nissan parts in addition to my normal maintenance (Mobile One every 4-5K, air filter changes, etc…).

This winter, when it is at around 20 degrees or so… it is worse. Now it does the same thing, except it eventually dies as if it is running out of gas. Then I have trouble starting it as if it ran out of gas and it will start roughly again and usually smooth itself out at this point.

This only happens when the car has been sitting for a while (4-5+ Hours) and I have suspected water and/or ice in the gas. It has just recently been getting down to those cold temperatures here (Kenosha, WI) so it has only been happening for that last few days. I did let the fuel pump run this morning for about a minute before I cranked the motor, and I believe this would have eliminated any fuel pressure problems.

Once the car is started and when it is warm… it operates ideally.

I am having a hard time believing that it is bad gas… as this seems rather extreme for bad gas. I read about the throttle body cleaning, but that seemed to only apply to problems with a rough and more gradually fluctuating idle at cold start up.

Could a dirty throttle body cause something that extreme and does this fall into that category anyway?
Any other suggestions?
Could be the coolent temperature sensor. That is the auto choke on fuel injected cars!!!!!!
Old 02-23-2002, 04:50 AM
dxception

THROTTLE CLEANING WORKS

PETEMAX99,
Many of us have already done the throttle body cleaning and that's all it took to restore the starting capabilities that were lost. There are plenty of threads that talk about the results of a simple throttle body cleaning on 4th gen Maxima's. I'm a living witness!
No more problems for me!!!! So I doubt it if it's a coolant temp sensor problem. I have not had any other problems with the Max other than the cold morning start after it sat for 8 hours.
That's all