4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

4th gen rocker panels?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2021, 09:32 AM
What does that mean?

4th gen rocker panels?

My rocker panels are pretty rusted and I'd like to fix them.
I've searched various body parts online stores and none seem to sell rocker panel replacements for the 4th gen Max.
Does anyone know of a source?

If none exist my plan is to saw off sections of rocker panels from the junk yard and weld them all together. I don't actually know how to weld but I'm a sucker for punishment a challenge so why not. I say sections because I've never seen a max in the junkyard around here that has more than 2 feet of un-rusted good rocker panel. As well I've been watching for Max's for sale for the past year and every one that comes up is twice as rusty as my car.

Alternately I could probably take a section that I've sawed off and have some metal fabricators make new rockers using that as a template but I'm assuming that is $$$

Thoughts?
Old 03-07-2021, 06:57 PM

You're in fabrication territory, bro. Body shops do transplants like you described every day. Go find a good donor and hack away.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:06 PM

Buy a Mig welder and practice on your neighbor's cars at night when they're sleeping.

These will never be collectibles. So keep that thing on your pants. (Wallet that is!) LOL

I know..... I'm a perfectionist and you wouldn't believe the stupid thoughts that pop into my head.

It's a lot of work keeping the knee jerk reactions under check.

Good luck!
Old 03-08-2021, 08:22 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

with all the new tech that's out there you can probably get away with using panel bond to "glue" the new/used rocker to the car assuming it's prepped properly.

like others mentioned, it's not going to be a collector piece and you just want to fix up the rust. having fun drilling out like 100 spot welds.
Old 03-08-2021, 11:35 AM
What does that mean?

Originally Posted by DanNY
with all the new tech that's out there you can probably get away with using panel bond to "glue" the new/used rocker to the car assuming it's prepped properly.

like others mentioned, it's not going to be a collector piece and you just want to fix up the rust. having fun drilling out like 100 spot welds.

Interesting thought about the adhesive.

From my brief inspection it appears that other than 6-8 inches from my rear wheels, the damage to the rest of the rocker is salty water must have just settled at the bottom inside and eventually made it's way right through. so I may be able to just cut that out and weld or glue a strip across that gap.

Example, looking down the inside of the rocker, of how I think the damage is and how it could possibly be fixed

First order of business once the snow is gone in a few weeks is do a major rust grinding and see what good metal remains before I decide on a solution.
Old 03-08-2021, 11:38 AM
What does that mean?

Originally Posted by User1
You're in fabrication territory, bro. Body shops do transplants like you described every day. Go find a good donor and hack away.
Just to clarify, is it the building a rocker from multiple donor pieces that's an every day transplant or fabbing new metal from a chunk of rocker? or both?

Last edited by DizzyEdge; 03-08-2021 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-08-2021, 11:39 AM
What does that mean?

Originally Posted by KP11520
Buy a Mig welder and practice on your neighbor's cars at night when they're sleeping.

These will never be collectibles. So keep that thing on your pants. (Wallet that is!) LOL

I know..... I'm a perfectionist and you wouldn't believe the stupid thoughts that pop into my head.

It's a lot of work keeping the knee jerk reactions under check.

Good luck!
Some F****R sawed my girlfriend's cat off her Honda Element last night so maybe I should practice on that

I actually replaced my hood and a fender in the past few years and have kept the old ones around just for the potential welding practice material!
Old 03-08-2021, 03:44 PM

If you need rocker panels, I can cut them out, no problem. Alot of 4th gens over here with good ones.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:16 PM
What does that mean?

Originally Posted by lux97Max
If you need rocker panels, I can cut them out, no problem. Alot of 4th gens over here with good ones.
Hey I appreciate the offer. In the next few weeks I'll do an extensive inspection of mine to see what the actual damage is and then I may hit you up.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:28 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by DizzyEdge
Interesting thought about the adhesive.

From my brief inspection it appears that other than 6-8 inches from my rear wheels, the damage to the rest of the rocker is salty water must have just settled at the bottom inside and eventually made it's way right through. so I may be able to just cut that out and weld or glue a strip across that gap.

Example, looking down the inside of the rocker, of how I think the damage is and how it could possibly be fixed

First order of business once the snow is gone in a few weeks is do a major rust grinding and see what good metal remains before I decide on a solution.
honestly it's never "just that part" when it comes to rust.
BTW nice drawing.

when you get a wire wheel on it and poke around with a screwdriver you'll see what's really rusted out.

if for some luck the rust is just that piece then yeah i don't see why you can't just cut out a piece a metal and bond that in there. ideally you want to cut a channel/slot/groove in the rusty metal and side the patch piece inside and then glue it down that way. make sure you have cavity wax and all the undercoating you can get your hands on and prep the area correctly.
Old 03-09-2021, 02:08 PM
What does that mean?

honestly it's never "just that part" when it comes to rust.
BTW nice drawing.

when you get a wire wheel on it and poke around with a screwdriver you'll see what's really rusted out.

if for some luck the rust is just that piece then yeah i don't see why you can't just cut out a piece a metal and bond that in there. ideally you want to cut a channel/slot/groove in the rusty metal and side the patch piece inside and then glue it down that way. make sure you have cavity wax and all the undercoating you can get your hands on and prep the area correctly.
Yeah we'll see how optimistic my 'just that part' is, quite I'm sure! My goal for spring is to remove all of the rot and seal what's left, it will probably be ugly but its a black car so that stuff can hide in the shadows from quick glances. Then decide if I want to repair.

If I do repair it it will have so much sealing and cavity wax inside that the rockers will out live the rest of the car
Old 03-10-2021, 05:37 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by DizzyEdge
Yeah we'll see how optimistic my 'just that part' is, quite I'm sure! My goal for spring is to remove all of the rot and seal what's left, it will probably be ugly but its a black car so that stuff can hide in the shadows from quick glances. Then decide if I want to repair.

If I do repair it it will have so much sealing and cavity wax inside that the rockers will out live the rest of the car
don't want to be a downer...but you might also have/want to look at rusting elsewhere since you know rust doesn't discriminate
Old 03-11-2021, 01:40 PM
What does that mean?

don't want to be a downer...but you might also have/want to look at rusting elsewhere since you know rust doesn't discriminate
Yep, the passenger fender was also super rusty (since been replaced with a good one) and I know I need a new rad support.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:25 PM

Rust has it's own rule of thirds. Whatever you can see is usually 2/3 shy of what's actually there.
Old 03-12-2021, 06:27 AM
I support for what?

I'm in the same boat as you my rockers are rusting out. Especially on the passenger side under the rear door. The frame rail rusting too inside the rocker. My driver side rear is starting to show through but hasnt fully fell out. I happened to take out the rear seat last night and found the rear inner fenders were rusted through up under the seats. Cant really see it from outside of car. Also got small holes in floor pan behind the front wheels.
Old 03-13-2021, 03:51 AM
Rit

I am surprised that you have that much rust on a car in TN.
Old 03-13-2021, 07:50 PM

My rockers are looking pretty good from the outside, which is surprising. (Full disclosure: I didn't know what a rocker panel was until this thread ). I plan on doing an inspection next time I get her up on ramps. Should I hose off the caked on dirt or just try to get it off dry with gloves, brushes, cloths and a respirator? Fluid Film will be applied from a can.

Last edited by 90sWheels; 03-13-2021 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-27-2021, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by lux97Max
Hey, any 4th gens for sale over there??