4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

RTH on 95 Maxima Stalled After Replacing Fuel Injector

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 07:42 AM
wxm

RTH on 95 Maxima Stalled After Replacing Fuel Injector

Just put the car back together after replacing a bad fuel injector. The car seem to hard to start. I managed to start it up after depress the gas paddle a few times. I thought that was normal because I de-pressurized the fuel system before starting the fuel injector job. Anyhow, took the car for a road test, it seemed to driving file, but after I made a turn about an half mile from home. The car just died on the road (with oil pressure light came on for a brief moment). I could not get it restart until 20 minutes later (Not sure because of the car has cool down or what). Anyway, I managed to drive home, but it died again just as I pulled onto the drive way. The oil pressure light came on again before it stalled. No check engine light. So the good thing is that I managed to get it back home at least. But now needs to figure out what was wrong it is... Any suggestion where to look?

BTW, Besides the bad fuel injector, it was driving fine...
Old 04-05-2020, 08:39 AM
JvG

Originally Posted by wxm
Just put the car back together after replacing a bad fuel injector. The car seem to hard to start. I managed to start it up after depress the gas paddle a few times. I thought that was normal because I de-pressurized the fuel system before starting the fuel injector job. Anyhow, took the car for a road test, it seemed to driving file, but after I made a turn about an half mile from home. The car just died on the road (with oil pressure light came on for a brief moment). I could not get it restart until 20 minutes later (Not sure because of the car has cool down or what). Anyway, I managed to drive home, but it died again just as I pulled onto the drive way. The oil pressure light came on again before it stalled. No check engine light. So the good thing is that I managed to get it back home at least. But now needs to figure out what was wrong it is... Any suggestion where to look?

BTW, Besides the bad fuel injector, it was driving fine...
This seems like a vacuum leak.

The oil pressure light is just a symptom. Nothing to be concerned about.

To refresh our memory. Is the injector you replaced close to the radiator by the fire wall.

Did you remember to oil the O ring on the injector and also the sides of the hole it lives in.

The symptom you are having seem like a vacuum leak. Most likely causes are a ripped O ring on the injector if you indt a led it dry, or a bad gasket if you removed the intake manifold. The gasket between the upper and lower intake manifold should never be re used.

The ritual of pumping the gas pedal used to spray gasoline from the carburetor into the engine.

Modern cars have fuel injection. Pumping the gas pedal will not add gasoline. Stop doing that.

Last edited by JvG; 04-05-2020 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:52 AM
wxm

Originally Posted by JvG
This seems like a vacuum leak.

The oil pressure light is just a symptom. Nothing to be concerned about.

To refresh our memory. Is the injector you replaced close to the radiator by the fire wall.

Did you remember to oil the O ring on the injector and also the sides of the hole it lives in.

The symptom you are having seem like a vacuum leak. Most likely causes are a ripped O ring on the injector if you indt a led it dry, or a bad gasket if you removed the intake manifold. The gasket between the upper and lower intake manifold should never be re used.

The ritual of pumping the gas pedal used to spray gasoline from the carburetor into the engine.

Modern cars have fuel injection. Pumping the gas pedal will not add gasoline. Stop doing that.
Thanks for the quick reply. I replaced #3 injector (middle on close to firewall) from rockauto, also sent all the remaining to InjectorRX for a thorough clean up and test. I did oil the o-ring while installing and also replaced the manifold gasket with a new OEM one.

It is very puzzling where it could be the leak....
Old 04-05-2020, 10:08 AM
JvG

You removed some hoses, and also the egr door handle tube. The tube has a couple of gaskets on it. Did you replace them or install them properly.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:47 PM
wxm

Originally Posted by JvG
You removed some hoses, and also the egr door handle tube. The tube has a couple of gaskets on it. Did you replace them or install them properly.
Yes, I installed a gasket for the egr tube. It was painful. Probably the most difficult part of the whole job. I believe I have installed it right, difficult to see.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:09 PM
JvG

Stalling like it's doing is most likely a vacuum leak..

All gaskets should have been replaced with new ones. If you need to replace gaskets now, also replace the one between upper and lower gaskets.

as I mentioned, I hope you oiled the injector o ring.
they tend to tear or distort if you didnt. That also causes a vacccum leak.

You can understand now why I stress using new gaskets as well as replacing as much stuff as possible if the uim has been removed. Because dealing with it is not much fun.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:27 PM
wxm

Originally Posted by JvG
Stalling like it's doing is most likely a vacuum leak..

All gaskets should have been replaced with new ones. If you need to replace gaskets now, also replace the one between upper and lower gaskets.

as I mentioned, I hope you oiled the injector o ring.
they tend to tear or distort if you didnt. That also causes a vacccum leak.

You can understand now why I stress using new gaskets as well as replacing as much stuff as possible if the uim has been removed. Because dealing with it is not much fun.
followed your advice, I have replaced gasket between upper and lower, also oiled the injectors while installing them.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:34 PM
wxm

Just an update, after the car sat for the whole afternoon, I tried it again before the dinner. It seems to be running much batter. It starts right up, and no stalling while I was going around the block. Are the new injector needs some kind of settling process? I am not completely out of woods yet as it still runs rough. Hopefully after a few starts, it would be better (I know, I know, may sounds too good to be true, finger crossed).
Old 04-06-2020, 03:11 AM
Rit

wxm - it is unlikely that you are out of the woods. Car problems do not generally fix themselves. I hope I am wrong !
Old 04-06-2020, 09:32 AM
JvG

There was nothing wrong with the electrical portion of your old injector. The computer does not realize that anything happened.

I hope you have a code reader. Clear all codes you have, then wait for the check engine light.

Roughness , also known as missing is often electrical, could be vacuum related, or additional fuel injectors need help.

I belive you said that you plan on replacing more injectors?
Old 04-06-2020, 11:07 AM
Got Retrofit?

Surprised you went through all that trouble and only replaced one injector......
Old 04-06-2020, 01:33 PM

Maybe you didn't clean the LIM or UIM good enough...Check your bolts for proper torque! Maybe loosen hardware and utilize the proper torque sequence?
Old 04-06-2020, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
Surprised you went through all that trouble and only replaced one injector......
Pay me now and pay me later! It's like changing a timing belt due to being oil saturated and not replacing all the seals, w/p, tensioner(s), etc.....
Old 04-06-2020, 02:23 PM
JvG

Originally Posted by CMax03
Pay me now and pay me later! It's like changing a timing belt due to being oil saturated and not replacing all the seals, w/p, tensioner(s), etc.....
He mentioned that he sent a full set to RX Injector to have them rebuild them.

My guess is that he got a full set from the wrecking yard. Perhaps he was going to have them rebuilt, then install all of them at one time.

Also that an injector failed on his car while the other set is in transit. So he replaced that injector.
Old 04-06-2020, 06:46 PM
wxm

I sent all 6 injectors to injectorRX. They have cleaned and tested 5 of them. One of them was bad so I replaced it with a new one from rock auto.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:33 PM
wxm

Just an update. I took the car out for a spin. It starts straight up. Drove to the gas station and around the blocks (about 10 minutes). It was running fine, no stall. Idle still feel rough. but I think it was because I mistakenly touch the idler adjustment screw while I was troubleshooting before the injector replacement. I now need to get the idler back to normal.

It is still hard to tell whether I am out of the wood as I don't really drive much these day under the quarantine environment here in NJ. Hopefully it is normal now... I don't really know why it starts rough after I put everything together. I doubt the injectors has break-in process. The only reasonable explanation is that I had gas flood into the manifold chambers while I had injectors sent out for service. Every morning I had to siphon the gas out of the chambers. I did notice that the gas had "washed" off some of the carbon on the chamber wall. there maybe some residue dirt left deep down in the chamber. They maybe the culprit while I first put everything together and It got better as they were eventually all burned out? I am not sure this analysis even makes sense. Whatever, fingers crossed.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by JvG
He mentioned that he sent a full set to RX Injector to have them rebuild them.

My guess is that he got a full set from the wrecking yard. Perhaps he was going to have them rebuilt, then install all of them at one time.

Also that an injector failed on his car while the other set is in transit. So he replaced that injector.
It ain't worth it! RC engineering supposedly rebuild, cleaned and flow matched my VG30E's injectors and they got about 2000 miles on them and 2 failed. Don't waste your money on the crap! They can't rebuilt those Nissan Injectors! Maybe Ole' school Diesel mechanical injector but not plastic body electronic fuel injectors. Just buy new ones! They can probably clean them and that process is what probably kills them eventually.