4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Idle issue Help! and what to do with Front valve cover oil catch can.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 09:09 AM
Black Lion

Idle issue Help! and what to do with Front valve cover oil catch can.

Hi Guys,

To fill anyone in who reads this. I’m planning to throw my blower back on after I finally get this car running right. 97 on 3.5 swap, rev up cams, 96 bored pistons Wisco 8:8:1, running Big PFTB with path finder IACV, 350 Z maf . Stock TPS. I think injectors are 300cc or something like that. Stock 95 ( less emissions ECU ) manual maf. Want to pass inspection before I put the SCger on and ensure the car rights properly.

I have a slightly funny idle. Start up is a little rough but starts, idle is around 1300, I know this is high, have to see why the idle is high. ( maybe adjust of TPS ) I can see my boost gauge go from 16 to 18 psi on the AEM gauge and can hear the idle change slightly and go Lean on my Wide band. Once I’m driving it’s seems normal. I don’t have anything hooked to vacuum at this time besides my boost gauge. I have a dual Sauiko Micho catch can.. one for front valve cover and one for rear.

the rear valve cover goes through the catch can and back into the manifold. PCV is deleted.

front valve cover, I had going through the catch can and back into the intake. ViperVadim thought I should route that back into the manifold directly and not the intake. I had a fitting welded on my manifold for this and after hooking up the hoses the car ran terrible and eventually shut off at idle. Boost gauge read only 4 psi so I knew something was up. I removed the hose going to the manifold and plugged it. No vac leaks, car started up and ran much better but the idle issue I mentioned above remains. Not sure what the idle issue is. I’m going to try swapping back in stock maf and temp sensor. 350z maf is an all in one ( both maf and temp sensor )

my question is, should the front valve cover go into the intake pipe? And why did the car run like crap when I ran the hose into the manifold like the rear valve cover does? I’m not understanding since when I’m on the throttle it goes back into the manifold anyway. I’m wondering if the front valve cover is not supposed or see vacuum at all.

I know it’s a long post and hope I didn’t confuse anyone. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by maxprivate; 02-15-2020 at 06:40 AM.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:38 AM
Black Lion

Ghesh no help with this heh. No one has any thoughts on this?

I swapped in the stock MAF and the car is much more stable at idle. Car runs pretty good, only issue is high idle. Running around 1300, not sure if it’s the TPS or Pathfinder IACV. I’m also getting a code for Idle air control valve.

I still have the front valve cover just venting. Tube goes through oil catch can, other side sitting in engine bay. I guess I supposed to bring that back into the intake pipe after the MAF, but will this be ok when I’m boosted? That’s the question.

And I do not want to vent the valve covers… I tried putting just a breather filter on the front valve cover and I had oil mist all over my engine bay when I was boosted.

Last edited by maxprivate; 02-15-2020 at 07:19 AM.