4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

front valve cover gasket - only

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 03:50 AM

front valve cover gasket - only

is it possible to only replace the front valve cover gasket on a 99? is it significantly easier than replacing the back one whick looks like manifold must come off for that.
But just doing the front is much much easier? it looks like you can do just he front ??
are the gaskets only in sets? that is can you buy only one?

Last edited by edwardh1; 05-09-2018 at 03:57 AM.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:36 AM

Yes you can only replace the front valve cover if you choose and yes it is much less involved than the back cover's gasket. I would suspect the VC gaskets are sold in sets unless you went to a dealer you could buy each one separately. But generally if one is leaking the other is as well.

When doing the back one you will most likely need an egr pipe gasket, iac gasket (although this can be reused), an intake plenum gasket and a throttle body gasket if you remove the TB from the intake (you don't have to do this step). And while you have everything off and apart generally it's good council to replace the little coolant bypass hose on the back of the intake plenum. You will need a couple dabs of ultra black rtv as well.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:35 AM

I just did mine a year ago and yes the front is very easy and the back can be a PITA cut the hoses in the back and do the egr coolant hose bypass that will make it a lot easier. Also make sure to not overtorque those valve cover bolts make them snug but they will snap if you try putting some torque behind it and that's not fun
Old 05-09-2018, 08:44 AM

Yeah, you can do just the front one, and yeah, it's much easier, but if you only do the front gasket, the back one will still be leaking.

You can buy only the front or only the rear. I recommend the Beck/Arnley brand, since it's the actual OE gasket. Make sure you install the spark plug tube seals correctly.

If you do decide to pull the intake and replace the rear valve cover gasket, I recommend also replacing the plenum gasket, the rear fuel injectors, and cleaning out the EGR tube.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:45 AM
JvG

As the others have said, yes, you can do on the front one.

Yes, the rear valve cover gasket deteriorates at tge same rate as the front one.

So go ahead and do the front one first. Any experience you gain will be useful then you do the rear one.

The rear one does involve removal of the upper intake manifold. Which exposes a lot of items which will need attention soon anyway. Like the egr system , the rear injectors which will leak soon, and the knock sensor if it has not been changed yet.
Old 05-09-2018, 03:08 PM

if the rear is leaking a little now, replacing the just the front will force more oil to w/e oil is leaking from. how much, only time will tell. it's always better to do that as a set and w/e hoses or clamps look beat to do them new as well. clean off the engine with some carb cleaner beforehand so you can track the leak or leaks after you replace the gaskets.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:16 PM
JvG

Originally Posted by max ride 41
if the rear is leaking a little now, replacing the just the front will force more oil to w/e oil is leaking from. how much, only time will tell. it's always better to do that as a set and w/e hoses or clamps look beat to do them new as well. clean off the engine with some carb cleaner beforehand so you can track the leak or leaks after you replace the gaskets.
I don't see how doing only one valve cover would force oil which is no longer under pressure to the other valve cover area.