4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Steering Wheel Off Center

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 12:00 PM
wxm

Steering Wheel Off Center

Just replaced the passenger side of the lower control arm of my 95 max as the ball joint rubber racked. Now I noticed that my steering wheel seems to be off centered. Could that has anything to do with the control arm. Note that I only purchased and replaced one of side. The car are now running control arms from different brands. Could this be the problem? Can I get an alignment from the shop to correct this?
Old 10-23-2017, 12:45 PM
JvG

It's off center because you worked on it. It's sometimes difficult to replace and then adjust parts exactly where the old one was.

An alignment shop does this kind of thing all day long.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:27 AM
Got Retrofit?

You need an alignment, sir.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

FWIW: I just had control arms replaced w/o alignment and have had many alignments over the past 10 years but the steering wheel has always been a little off to the right though the car tracks straight. I've never specifically mentioned it to the alignment shop though. Would be interesting to know what fixes it.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Steering wheel being off center is due to the steering rack not being centered when the tie rod ends were removed/attached. Although tie rods are 100% to do with alignment, AFAIK you can mess around with the ends all day without it affecting your alignment. As long as you dont touch where tierod end meets the inner tierod, youre gravy. Havnt been under there in a year or too, so might want to wait for someone else to confirm this.

To answer the question on how to fix this: just remove both from wheels, disconnect the outer tierod end from the hub, and orientate the steering wheel so it is centered and your hubs are perfectly forward. From there you just hook the tie rods back onto your hubs and you should be ok.