4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

95 maxima. Won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 01:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

95 maxima. Won't start.

I have a 95 maxima.
I am using this car in a derby.
We got this car on trade in and have title in hand.
Problems we are having is.
WILL NOT START WILL NOT CRANK.

we have replaced the starter. Battery. Ignition. All relays are good.

Only thing I can think of is the anti theft.

No keys.
This car was stolen in the past and bought at a sheriff option Auction way before us.
we jumped it started right up. Went out a week later jumped it started it again started right up. We removed everything out of the car as you would do for a derby car we moving latches on trunk and hood.
figured we'd triggered the antitheft.
And then it wouldn't start.
So we started messing with stuff and couple hours later started up. 3 times total. Drove up and down the street.

Now or doing the same thing. No start no crank. But horn with sound every little bit. security like light is not on or blinking
that was five days ago and I am completely clueless.
my last option is asking on here. Before I have to go to a Nissan dealership with the title and explain to them what's going on I only have eight days before we derby

Any information would be helpful thank you
Old 07-21-2017, 01:42 PM
JvG

That's the anti theft doing its thing.

It's normall goes away when the key is inserted into the door, or the remote is pressed.

Neither on will help you.

Other members might be able to offer better suggestions for a work-a-round
Old 07-21-2017, 05:37 PM

Go here to get the factory service manual for the maxima 95 electrical system
http://www.nicoclub.com/service-manu...Maxima/1995/el

1. Go to the Starting System section (page 30).
2. Read description how power is delivered to the starter.
3. scroll down to the correct diagram (AT/MT version, or US/N usa/canadian)
4. Look for theft warning relay, write down pinout assignment and connection junction info. Locate junction box location on (for example, page 316), notice the relay color. For pinout, go to page 6, match relay color then find out the pin assignment.

The diagram shows theft deterrent relay (convenience) is connected in cascade with inhibitor relay (safety) for it to deliver power to the starter motor.

You may need to check that your starter is not defective and is able to turn the engine if given power. This video may help to test if your starter is good @1:30

just my .02

Last edited by saig; 07-21-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:01 PM

You can remove a relay and put a jumper wire in the socket so that it will start.

There are 2 different ways to do this. One way will disable the security system.
The second way will ignore all safety interlocks and crank the engine whenever you turn the key.

As a derby car, I'll tell you about the second way. But exactly what you do is different between a manual trans and an auto trans.

Start by removing a relay from the relay box in front of the battery. It is the one with the label "INHIBIT____ CLUTCH INTERLOCK".

Look on the bottom of the relay for the pin numbers. They are very small numbers. DO NOT go by any diagram that may be molded into the top of the relay, go only by what is on the bottom.

For auto trans, jumper pins 6 and 7 in the socket.
For manual trans, jumper pins 3 and 5 in the socket.

With this jumper installed, whenever you turn the key the starter will spin.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:07 PM

OK - I re-read your original post and saw that you said that you have no keys and are jumping the car to start it. What I wrote in my previous post is for someone using a key in the ignition switch on the steering column.

So exactly what are you doing to jump the car?
Old 07-22-2017, 08:09 AM
98 SE

I can offer two suggestions:
1) Get the VIN # and order a key from a Nissan dealer.
2) Disconnect the ignition switch wiring harness from the ignition switch. You can use a flat head screw driver to turn the ignition switch wiring harness interface mechanism to start the car. Check YouTube or this forum to see how to "replace the ignition switch wiring harness". This is similar to "hotwiring" the car and assumes all relays and and anti theft are functional.

Update: I forgot to mention originally that you will need a valid registration (and title if available) to get a key cut at the dealer. I was able to show my drivers license and registration, and they cut a perfect key in 20 minutes.

Last edited by 93SCMax; 07-23-2017 at 04:26 AM.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by 93SCMax
I can offer two suggestions:
1) Get the VIN # and order a key from a Nissan dealer.
2) Disconnect the ignition switch wiring harness from the ignition switch. You can use a flat head screw driver to turn the ignition switch wiring harness interface mechanism to start the car. Check YouTube or this forum to see how to "replace the ignition switch wiring harness". This is similar to "hotwiring" the car and assumes all relays and and anti theft are functional.
Getting a key by the vin number is iffy, I just went through this with my 2001 Kia. I went to Kia of Greer, gave them the Vin number AFTER I had to go back home 20 miles and get the title as my 2 year old registration wasn't good enough for them. For all that trouble and $30.00 later The key didn't work. But I remembered a post by DennisMik of all people, who said to take out the trunk lock and take it to a locksmith, which I did. He calls me back in an hour, I get the key and it worked. Wish I did that in the first place as it was just down the street and I couldn't get a refund from the dealer. The locksmith charged me $30.00.

By the way, thxs Dennis, for the great advice even though I didn't ask and your post I think was a couple years old, was just reading random threads like right know and filed it away in case I had that problem. Good luck, but sad to see a Maxima destroyed, but I do love those derbys.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:58 PM

He must find a reliable way to start/restart the engine. You don't want to be a sitting duck!